Size: Printer With Start Up Toner|Change

on 2 January 2014
Good points: The print quality is extremely good and reasonably fast. Network setup is trivially simple to do. The iPrint&Scan apps for tablet/phone printing are very easy to set up and free from your app store. (Tested on a Nexus 7 and an iPad). The scanner is fast and the automatic document feeder works well together with the included software for conversion to PDF or a range of other options; or you can use OCR (included) which gave a faultless conversion on my test. You can use the machine as a reasonably quick photocopier. The included software is easy to use.

Not so good points: The scan quality is not the best. The machine is large - please DO check the dimensions, and then add 15 cm on each side and the back, and 40 cm above. (I only have 20 cm above and it works fine). You need access to the back if you plan to print on card or envelopes (straight path printing). The machine is heavy - almost 19kg so you need to stand it on something solid. Branded Brother consumables are very expensive - not only toner, but also other items such as the waste toner container which has to be replaced after 50000 pages. 3rd party toner is significantly cheaper than the branded kind.

Overall: A very good MFC for a home user or a SMALL office user. The home user gets very professional print output and the flexibility to print from any computer, tablet or phone via WiFi or wired network connection. Scanning works well and is quick. The quality of colour prints, while not as good as the best inkjets for photographs, is fine for most purposes. Text quality is better than inkjet.
0Comment|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 September 2013
After much research I decided to buy this printer over some which had a smaller footprint. Brother has a good reputation for printers and I have yet to meet someone who has had a Brother printer and not been pleased with it - so I made the plunge. Although it is early doors I can find nothing about it which does not meet with my approval. Within minutes I had it connected to my PC, my iMac, my MacBook Pro and my iphone. All connected effortlessly and I can send things to print from any of my devices from anywhere in my house. Although it does take a few seconds to go from zero to print mode, I am not kept waiting overly long and the quality of the print outs are excellent - including colour photos. I found it very easy to navigate with the touch screen instructions and and have used print, copy and scan modes. All in all I am pleased with my choice.....but as previously mentioned, I have not had it long so cannot vouch for its printing capacity in terms of pages per toner cartridge.
on 5 February 2015
I feel mean about not giving this machine five stars, and on another day I might. But I think it just misses. Its one setback is that the scanning software offers only brightness and contrast adjustments - no descreening or other filters. It does, however, offer photo, web and text OCR scanning. You have to use photo on black and white pictures as well as colour images, or you get moire. My Epson dedicated scanner offers a much more varied interface. Having said that, if you are merely scanning documents and photos, it does a perfectly adequate job. What more can you expect from a multi-purpose machine at this price?

So far as I am concerned, that is the only negative, apart from the fact that it is big and heavy, but then so are all the other colour printers/scanners. Do check the dimensions before you buy, and make sure you have room for it.

So, the positives: it is a good, solid workhorse, churning out the prints quite fast enough for home/office. Duplexing works well, and I have had no paper jams. Print quality is excellent. Some people here have remarked that the colours are not right, but you can dig about in the interface and adjust them via colour calibration and registration.

Again, some people have remarked that photo prints are not that good. Well, I was pleasantly surprised. No, they are not as good as a high-quality inkjet, but I find them good enough. Indeed, colour printing is better than I thought it would be. It still churns out a reasonable photo.

Only one niggle: I installed it as a USB device, which is easiest, then disconnected the cable and found the 9020 on my network after logging it in via WPS on my router. The network will find it and install it as a wireless printer but *not* as a wireless scanner! For it to work as a wireless scanner, you appear to have to go through the installation process again, this time choosing wireless installation. You will then have two virtual devices installed on your network, and you have to make sure you select the right one. There may be an easier way, but I don't know it. Anyway, I now have it working as a USB or wireless device. (In case wifi goes down!)

Would I buy it again? Definitely! Look at the feedback on other comparable multi-purpose machines. It's a good machine at a good price. Overall, it is better than I expected, particularly at colour printing. Excellent value.
on 28 April 2015
Got this printer as I needed something a little faster than an inkjet. Have always bought Epson, but this printer was at just too good a price (and Brother were also giving £50 cashback that month).

Print speed is good and the colour excellent for a laser. Effortless to set up. Had it installed and working on the wireless network in about 5 min with no hitches or problems. The software suit provided by Brother does everything I could want it too and a lot more I don't really need, but is always good to have.

Have gone through a ream of paper so far (mostly mono printing) and the black toner is showing half full. This is about right as cartridges supplied with printers never have a full load of toner. The price of Brother toner cartridges is as usual expensive, so I will be buying some compatible cartridges in the near future which are a quarter or the price of Brother cartridges.

The scanner is good, not the highest resolution, but colour reproduction is more than adequate for most applications. The ADF works well and I have had no jams yet. The touch screen is a nice feature and allows you to set your own shortcuts for frequently performed operations.

Overall, I am very happy with this printer and given I paid under £140, that makes me even happier.
on 5 December 2014
Bought this printer after reading the reviews. Was really disappointed in the print quality (colours really poor) and copying was awful. Scanner is single-sided, despite manual implying it was double-sided. After only a couple of pages of printing, it reported 10% of the black had gone. Consumables really expensive.
on 2 January 2016
Avoid! The paper started to exhibit indentations and creases in the prints after just 13 months light use. On further investigation it was found the fuser roller had developed lots of 'lumps'. Called Brother Support and they told us to go away. They didn't want to know. A fuser unit should last for more than 2000 prints! We were even prepared to meet Brother halfway but the support guy just didn't want to know.

Called the local Brother Service centre just in case and they told us it would be £240 to repair- but not to bother. They had several of this exact machine in with the same fuser fault. Even Brother Service Centres hate this machine!

Buy something else from another company. I buy a lot of gear and won't be buying Brother again.
44 comments|5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 February 2016
Fuser unit has just failed after only 2 years of light use... The roller has developed cracks which causes paper wrinkles.
I have just looked at other reviews and this seems to be a common use.

Clearly another poor quality printer as is unfortunately too common these days.

Edit:
I ordered a replacement fuser unit for about £70. It arrived brand new in pristine original packaging and... broken!

It is also advised to upgrade the firmware when replacing the part: The tool is terrible and the server in Japan was down for days.
I contacted Brother online and they haven't even replied.

What a complete shambles! I shall stay well clear of Brother from now on.
on 28 July 2014
Very easy to use and setup, you can configure it so easily on your wifi network and start working straight away. I used it to print from iPad just be finding it on the network using the Bonjour setup. Compatible with iOS devices (haven't tried windows based systems yet). Clean prints and fairly quick. Had some issue with jamming paper but Im not sure why it happened.

All in all, far much better than my old Kodak printer, which you needed a PhD to be able to solve a silly problem in its configuration (and the lack of online support for Kodak customers)
on 16 July 2015
It's difficult to add to many of the other reviews as they have covered most of the points and I'm so far pleased with the printer. There are two things to draw attention to - who knows - it may matter to someone and may help when using it.

1. The bypass tray is small/narrow when folded down and can only really take one or two sheets which are not particularly well supported. I can think of a situation in a previous life where this would have been a show stopper but doesn't matter nowadays.

2. In my situation at least (Windows 8.1 with wireless link) the duplex feature wasn't automatically installed and so didn't show up in printer preferences. It was easily resolved by going to 'Devices and Printers', right clicking the printer and selecting 'Printer Properties. Under the 'Device Settings' tab there is a drop down menu next to 'Duplex Unit' (beneath 'Installable Options') and this is where you can change the setting to 'Installed'. It worked for me anyway.
on 14 February 2016
When it is working Ok it is very good. I was pleased (well impressed) with the quality of the print from the start but it soon became apparent that the life of the cartridges were no where near as described in fact appallingly low. I looked at forums on the subject and the US customers seem to have the facility override a "remaining cartridge life" feature which prevents you from printing with low cartridge settings - apparently no longer available and the printer refuses to print after a certain level - fair enough I thought and then tried the cartridge save replacement. Definitely much poorer quality and no improvement on duration. Returned to the extremely expensive and unefficient brother genuine parts only for the fuser to burn out - which it now appears is a very common problem. left with £250 worth of unopened cartridges and a printer that is unserviceable - I am very frustrated as this is meant for work / client printing.