Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: MP3 DownloadChange

on 24 June 2013
Deep Purple or Rainbow or Blackmore's Night, Ritchie Blackmore is my man. On account of their previous albums 'Shadow Of The Moon', 'Under A Violet Moon', 'Fires At Midnight', 'Ghost Of A Rose' I own by this romantic band that plays folk rock or renaissance music or whatever it is called, I made an unmistakable purchase of this album. I am not a big fan of this kind of music but every now and then I take out the CDs from rack and I enjoy it. Maybe if it wasn't Ritchie Blackmore, I would never know Blackmore's Night at all.

When I listened to 'Shadow Of The Moon' for the very first time a decade ago, I thought I played the wrong CD. I was expecting rock and all that sort. Then I got used to it and went on to collect other albums. Acoustic guitars, mandolins, flutes, tambourines and Candice's voice make Blackmore's night distinct from Ritchie Blackmore's renown works. I can not judge this album on basis of what a good music in this kind of genre is supposed to be. I find this album more or less similar to previous albums.

I Think It's Gonna Rain, Troika, Dancer And The Moon, The Moon Is Shining are a bit pop rock style with electric guitar. The Last Leaf, The Ashgrove, Somewhere Over The Sea, The Spinner's Tale are soothing with Candice's beautiful voice. Minstrels In The Hall and Galliard are good instrumental on acoustic guitars. Lady In Black and Temple Of The King are wonderfully presented cover versions originally performed by Uriah Heep and Rainbow respectively. Carry On Jon (I thought it is cover of Gary Moore's The Loner) with Hammond B3 organ and Ritchie Blackmore's style guitar sounds like Blackmore's Night now rocks.

Past couple of months, I have been bombarding my ears with all these latest metal/rock albums by Megadeth,Black Sabbath,The Winery Dogs,Anvil,Black Star Riders,Tom Keifer (Cinderella),Joe Satriani and Deep Purple. Dancer And The Moon is giving my ears a peaceful, blissful, joyful sensation and I love it.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 June 2013
Just what I expected. Great Album , great sound and Mr Blackmore happy and playing well. Loved the DVD with Ritchie and Candice talking about the songs and singing a few in an acoustic way. Roll on July 5th. I will be there at Guildford but not in medieval gear. Haven't got the legs for it.
on 3 August 2013
If you like Blackmore's Night then you will like this. If you don't, then it won't change your mind - with one possible exception. This album carries on from where others have left off - a selection of tracks that showcase both Blackmore's playing and Night's singing. They're both very very good at what they do. There's not a duff track here, but likewise nothing that soars so high as to make you want to play it to everyone you know. Except, maybe, "Carry On... Jon" which starts as a guitar solo (reminiscent of "The Loner" by Gary Moore) and moves into an extended organ solo in the style of the late Jon Lord (intentionally, as the sleeve notes indicate). This is the track I've played the most from this CD. Other highlights include the title track and "Somewhere Over the Sea".
on 12 July 2013
Ritchie Blackmore is undoubtedly one of the world's best musicians who has surrounded himself with others of the same abilitiy. Together with Candice Night, the music of Blackmore,s Night harps back to an age long gone and this album is no exception. In this day and age of 'manufactured and artificially produced pop' it is absolutely wonderful to listen to real musicians playing their own instruments (witnessed at their last concert in Salisbury) with a virtuosity that is sorely missing in music. From the hurdy gurdy to the mandola, this album is a real feast for those that like to listen to real music played on English Folk instruments. Furtjermore, Candice Night's voice on this is a joy to listen to - it is note perfect with a beautifully lyrical and mystical quality, completly at one with the band.

This album is full of 16th Century/Renaissance musical imagery, together with many folk based melodies that will grab at you without any warning - this album is a wonderful blend of all of these. If truth be told, one can immerse themselves in this and drift away to Middle Earth, where surely these folk tales and melodies live on.

The album also contains absolutely wonderful renditions of Uriah Heep's Lady in Black, together with a beautiful rendition of the Rainbow classic Temple of the King. Mention must also be made of the last track as a tribute to Jon Lord.

If you like English Folk and Rennaissance music - get this album.
on 17 July 2013
Candice's voice is still brilliant, and teh music fantastic - very joyful album, as they have all been that they have produced - long may it continue. A brilliant mix of "olde world" and modern take.
on 14 July 2015
A very hit and miss album. Half of the tracks would be at home on Eurovision. The song Troika sums up the problem. It uses a derivative folk melody and while it layers on some very nice vocals and guitar it also layers on string style effects and stuff making it more euro pop than

So why did I give it two stars? (I think I am being generous here)

A star for the vocals Candice provides are great and crystal clear just let down by the bland tunes.

A star for the guitar/string playing which when it is let loose is excellent in places and shows why Ritchie Blackmore is so considered so good but overall the album does not have enough of this great musicianship on show.

The stars are also for the few songs on here which sound good, such as ‘I Think It's Going to Rain Today’ unfortunately a lot of the album is a weak re-treading rather than rethreading of traditional melodies.

Bought this form shop not Amazon. Hence not verified purchase.
on 16 February 2015
The first recording of this group I got was Under a violet moon. When I first started playing the cd my initial reaction was 'What the heck and 'thats a girl singing' because being a Blackmore fan since the 70's I was expecting loud electric guitars and screaming rock vocals and had no idea that Blackmore had made such a musical switch in direction. I have to say though that after a few plays the music really grows on you. I first heard Dancer on the moon on youtube and immediately decided to buy the deluxe cd\dvd because I think its their best work so far. I particularly liked their cover of Uriah Heep's Lady in Black and Carry on...Jon which is Ritchie's tribute to his former Deep Purple band mate. I wasn't expecting something so emotional from Ritchie so maybe the mean and moody man in black is mellowing in his old age ;)
on 31 July 2013
The special blend or crossover they perform is amazing to sink into. Lady in Black, the Heep classic, is performed with respect and passion. As well as Ritcie's own Temple of the King ;-)
on 26 January 2014
Found this when looking for something else on YouTube. I liked what I heard so bought the CD. This is excellent stuff. As a life-long fan of good musicianship and music that is not exactly mainstream, this fit my tastes exactly. Richie Blackmore is as brilliant as ever and demonstrates that he is more than a hard rock axe-god, displaying subtlety and virtuosity at the same time. Anyone liking the music of Renaissance would be well advised to listen to Blackmore's Night. Candice Night's voice is pure, clean and close in timbre to Annie Haslam. I can only rate this five stars but really it's worth an even higher rating.
on 21 January 2014
Another decent album from Blackmore's Night but I get the feeling that they're either just going through the motions now or are running out of ideas. The music as ever is well played and beautifully sung can't fault the musicianship but I got the feeling when listening to it that I'd heard all before. I love Ritchie Blackmore's playing and Candice Night's singing has got better over the years, she sings with more confidence and as she's aged her voice has filled out. I went to see them on the tour supporting this recording and they were excellent live. Perhaps it's me who's old and jaded and expects too much.