Format: Vinyl|Change

on 3 July 2013
I should fully disclose that I am a massive Fat Freddy's Drop fan so feel free to assume some bias, but know that I love them for good reason. I love the soulful, meaty sound their music carries, it all feels very deep and meaningful. The blend of grooves and tasty hooks are awesome. I hope you decide to give them a listen!
As for this album in particular, it is particularly soulful and there is a real light shined on the very involved vocal work. This added to their masterful pacing and beautiful drops and changes makes for a night of many eargasms (and more)!
And as for the autorip function on amazon that the other reviewer is complaining about - my autorip seems to be working fine, good even. It's a shame the issue couldn't be resolved without misleading potential listeners regarding the quality of the album.
Hope you all let this band into your life and that they bring you all the happiness and love that they have me :-)
Tl; dr - fat freddy's drop are amazing and continue to deliver those sweet, sweet goods with this latest album!
on 13 July 2013
Heard this in Fopp as I walked in and loved it from the start. My worry was that it might have been the latest UB40 album but as I listened more I was carried away by the sheer beauty of it.
I admit to having never heard of them so it's a complete joy to discover something new and refreshing.
As other reviewers have said it's soulful, funky, dubby and more. Downtown 70's reggae meets Memphis soul via Bill Withers and a splash of electro techno. Now to buy their earlier albums
on 7 April 2015
Another fantastic album from FFD. Bought this for my dad who loves the band, and it has been on repeat at home. Great sound, very interesting composure of songs. Their first album is still their best, I think, but this one is very close!
on 5 July 2013
So i brought this CD mistaking the band for the Carolina Chocolate Drops. Easy mistake as I was only vaguely aware of both groups and they both had the word drop in their names. Glad i did though as this CD is amazing. It starts off very dubby and soulful but by the end it has gone very housey and electronic. I gather they are a proper band so i can imagine them jamming some of these grooves out for hours before they record them.
on 15 February 2014
I didn't purchase it over Amazon, but I can tell you now that this is an album worth getting, no matter where from. The lazy soul beats mixed with reggae undertones are just superb! There's electro elements in it and it just seriously makes a sweet mix of every kind of sound out there and it does it well!
on 13 August 2013
Love the other two albums but I,m afraid this one not so good. There are however some amazing tracks-as good as any on the other albums but some weak tracks too which is a bit of a shame. Still well worth buying however. Standout tracks include-Blackbird, Bones, Soldier, Mother Mother. Tracks-Russia, Clean the House and Silver and Gold not so good. Just dont have the edge I like-a little run of the mill on these I feel. All a matter of opinion I guess.
on 19 December 2013
It's great to see Fat Freddy's continuing to develop. Each of their albums has brought something new and interesting to the table, making the wait for them all the more palatable. Here their sound becomes darker, funkier, more insistent, rolling. It is still recognisably a Fat Freddy's album - they have a very recognisable sounds after all - but the departure of their previous Alto Sax Hohepa and what feels like a reining in of Dallas brings a structural slickness to the funk. Full of great tracks, it has been the stand out disc of the year for me.
on 9 January 2014
Thought I'd treat myself to a bit of Fat Freddy while shopping for everyone else's presents, glad I did.
Put it on in the car when it arrived before Christmas and only took it off yesterday. three weeks isn't a record (that's held by Ed Solo) but it's a really nice album.
on 13 July 2013
Fat Freddy are something very rare in music. A phenomenon. They are in my opinion, channeling this music from deep inside the soul. If that sounds a bit too mystic then I make no apologies. If you see them live, you'll feel it even more. Blackbird is a staggering album that includes that same fabulous mixing pot of styles, of groove, of soul, of jazz, of reggae/dub and so on. And Joe's voice is a force to chill the heaviest mind. Buy this record because without trying to sound presumptuous, it will improve you.
on 2 August 2013
I will just echo what the majority of the other reviewers have said. If you like FFD you will love this album. In my eyes (and ears) they can do no wrong. Their albums are all slightly different but without losing that quality kiwi/dub/ska type of sound.
Just buy it, listen to it and float away. As the master, Mr Bowen once said, Super, Smashing, Great.