4.0 out of 5 stars Great Alarm Clock!
Ok, some of the negative reviews of this are pretty old so perhaps the product specs or the quality control has improved but some of the comments are very misleading. I have the Kitsound Boomdock which is a fantastic piece of kit so decided to buy one of these.

Published 1 month ago by M. Briggs

1.0 out of 5 stars Terribly designed!
I had high hopes for this device and requested one for my birthday. Unfortunately, I was disappointed to discover it's rendered unusable by two terrible design flaws.

Firstly, it automatically starts playing music the moment you plug your iphone into it! Yet it's intended to be a bedside device; so if your partner is already asleep when you slot your phone in...
Published on 26 Feb. 2011 by Andy Diggle

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Alarm Clock!, 11 Jan. 2015
M. Briggs "Shutter Nutter" (Garden of England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: KitSound XDOCK2 Clock Radio Dock with Lightning Connector for iPhone 5/5S/5C, iPhone 6 (4.7 Inch), iPod Nano 7th Generation and iPod Touch 5th Generation - Black (Electronics)

Firstly this is a small and sleek ALARM CLOCK! It's never going to have top hi-fi sound but for the size it is pretty reasonable. For some background music or radio in the bedroom as you wake up it's more than comparable with any alarm clock. The volume level is perfectly acceptable and nothing like listening via the phone's speakers.

I have an iPhone 6 and it fits this perfectly. It doesn't state that it is compatible with the 6+ so don't buy it for that as it won't fit. The fit is snug without a case but I see this as a good thing - I wouldn't want the phone wobbling around.

It does NOT automatically start playing as soon as you dock the phone.

When you put the unit in Standby mode the clock brightness dims to an almost perfect level. It's still fine to look at to see the time even with the room lights on but is dim enough so that it is not at all distracting when going to sleep.

I love the way the clock is automatically synced with the iPhone's clock so you know the clock will be very accurate.

I have only given it 4 stars for two reasons. The build quality doesn't feel quite as good as it could be but as it will sit on the bedside table this shouldn't be a problem. I also agree that it is not the most intuitive operation and the manual is fairly poor.

In the questions section on here lots of people are asking whether it works with different versions of iPhones & iPods - short answer is it will work with pretty much all except the 6+ Just make sure you chose the either 30 pin or lightning connection when placing your order (there are the two options at the top of the product screen).

So if you want Bose sound quality buy a Bose. If you want a great alarm clock that charges your iPhone for a reasonable amount of money then buy one of these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 20 Mar. 2011
I brought this with Christmas money I received, and do nor regret this purchase at all. The clock is very easy to read and bright, and the quality of sound is great.

Some disadvantages that you may take into consideration if you buy it is that if you have a case on your iPod you need to take it off so it will fit on the dock. Also, when you put the iPod in the dock, it will automatically play your music, even if you want it to only charge. For some people this may be ideal, but for me was quite annoying!

Really good overall product though!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really pleased with this item, 18 Nov. 2011
I purchased this item nearly 11 months ago as a Christmas present for my boyfriend. He had been looking for an iphone dock for a while but I knew he ideally wanted something which incorporated a cd player, so I only wanted a cheap model in case he didn't get much use from it. I have to say, we were both impressed with this and it has probably gone down as my biggest present success! Yes, it does play music automatically when you insert the phone, for us that was an advantage as that was what I bought the product for, but it is something to be aware of. I imagine it might not be ideal if you were using it as a bedside clock radio, ours is in the kitchen so not a problem. For the price, I thought the sound quality was excellent as is the radio reception. I also like the fact that there are buttons on top of the unit to adjust volume, play, skip etc, as this is far less fiddly than using the onscreen controls on the phone. In terms of set up, there isn't any, just slot your phone in and you're away. I have a thin rubber case on my phone (iphone 3GS) and find that this will just fit in, but only just. In terms of appearance, it is basic and you could say it looks a bit cheap, but no different to any other reasonably priced radio or cd player you might buy. After all, it is cheap! It doesn't look unattractive, just simple and functional.

What prompted me to write this review is reading some of the less positive reviews on here (which needless to say weren't here when I bought it, or I'm sure I wouldn't have). I had the same problem as a few others mentioned, that recently the dock simply lost all power. However my experience with Kitsound customer service was fantastic. I emailed Amazon initially and they referred me to Kitsound and provided me a link. Having read other reviews I was not optimistic, but I had a response from them within an hour. They suggested it was likely to be the power lead/adaptor at fault and offered to send me a replacement FOC, this arrived the next day and now my dock is good as new. I appreciate that other buyers have had a different experience, perhaps Kitsound have read that feedback and taken it onboard (or Amazon have had a word) but whatever the reason, I felt it only fair to advise others of my experience. I was thoroughly impressed with the customer service I received and wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 28 Mar. 2013
It was a present for my daughter and she says its brilliant. Very easy to use and stylish. I would recommend to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am very pleased with this purchase, 24 Dec. 2014
I don't get much use any more out of my 5th Gen ipod (30 pin) I bought back in 2006, I have the 60GB video ipod with the track wheel. All of my music is stored on there and wanted a way to listen to it as I can't in my car. I wanted something sleek and small to use in the kitchen to play my music and to listen to the radio to replace the big bulky radio I had that was taking up valuable space I could be using for preparing food. It's small light and sleek. I can't comment on the alarm function as I only use it for the radio and to use my ipod. I am very pleased with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great product with great sound, 8 April 2013
Just love it sound is great and a clock is a bonus, I have mine in the bedroom so i can lay and listen

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC - Get more for your money!!!, 5 July 2013
If you had been sitting next to me last friday, you would have seen me opening the package of my new KitSound XDOCK Clock Radio Dock for my iPhone 5. I was positively surprised when I hold the speakers in my hands. Great alarm clock, easy to set and use and would recommend it to anyone who has trouble in getting up in the morning. It is highly portable and is great for hearing all the music of your iPod/iPhone. Excellent sound quality and volume level is perfectly adjusted. Great little device, which is quite handy for travelling. This is an excellent product with a good FM radio. The buttons are very easy to press and the docking port delivers good secure fit. Given the money that I've spent in docking stations I can say this is the choice for everyone who want to receive more value for their money.

Overall a great clock radio dock in a smart matt black finish with an amazing sound punch.

If anyone's reading this because they can't decide on a clock radio docking station to get, just get this one. You won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Buy, 6 April 2011
This is a great little sound system for Bedroom/Kitchen and has the added bonus of charging my iphone while I use it. Well worth the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Music on tap, 16 Aug. 2011
Initially bought the Kitsound Xdock clock radio for my wife's new iPhone to replace an elderly bedside clock radio which was sadly failing. The new kit is great but for the past couple of weeks I have moved it from the bedside to the kitchen and have found it has re-awakened my radio awareness and that I can readily tune in to my local radio station while working at the computer in the kitchen, or indeed listen to music from an iPod. And the iPod or iPhone is always charged. Might well have to purchase a second kit for the bedside. Major disappointment is that the time display disappears while the radio is on, in favour of showing the station you are tuned to, and if you wake during the night the time display is not very bright, and therefore difficult to read. Otherwise great value with reasonable sound quality. In the kitchen it's a wow, and just maybe we'll have to have a second one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cock radio, 3 Nov. 2013
This item was a present for nephew, he was overjoyed with it as he can wake up his music or radio.