5.0 out of 5 stars page turner
Published 22 months ago by caroline

1.0 out of 5 stars This book is a FICTIONAL Account
The book is a well written BUT it is a fictional representation of events by the author (who DID NOT serve in the Falklands campaign) and although based on an amalgamation of post war accounts, it is a story written around a FICTIONAL character referred to in the book as “Archie” and the other members of his FICTIONAL unit. As such, whist it may be an...
Published 2 months ago by Allan N.

5.0 out of 5 stars page turner, 28 May 2013
This review is from: A Cold Night in June: Falklands Battle of Mount Longdon (Kindle Edition)
Got my copy of this, this morning. What a book couldn't put it down. Really good read. I feel Robert really does well in giving us an insight in to the mind of the the average soldier in these difficult situations. The action scenes are explained though the eyes of the main charactor, Archie, in such a way that I as the reader really felt the confusion and terror that this young lad must have felt. I had to keep reminding myself it was only fiction! Can`t wait 'till tomorrow so I can read it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars A dam good read, 1 Jun. 2013
Not an expert on the Falklands Battle, but as a work of fiction I found it a dam good read. Would recommend it to all readers of Military fiction. Well done Robert Lofthouse, will wait for your next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and absorbing account, 1 Sept. 2013
Excellent read well recommended. The true punch of this memoir is the quiet understatement of the author. There is no glitz or embellishment. I challenge you not to experience a fraction of his sights, sounds and smells of the results of the struggle to survive.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Read!, 30 Aug. 2013
An excellent read with strong characters that were easy to identify with, that painted a realistic portrait of a modern day private soldier. It's always difficult for any author to tread that delicate line when writing about such a sensitive and harrowing subject, but I felt that Sergeant Lofthouse really hit the mark with his portrayal of battle through the eyes of an inexperienced young soldier.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars falklands, 24 Aug. 2013
this was the first book I have read about the conflict and it is not fiction this is a must read ,I could not put it down

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 15 July 2013
Really felt in amongst the action - could almost taste and feel the fear. Have read many books about the Falklands War and this is one of a few excellent, gripping accounts that appear true to the events on that gruelling, terrifying night.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, a real page turner, 13 Jun. 2013
Sgt Lofthouse, captures not only the shear brutality of infantry warfare, but the camaraderie, friendship and gallows humour of your average UK squaddie.

I read this over just a few days, as it's a huge page turner, and kept me riveted from beginning to end. They say that everyone has one good book in them I sincerely hope this isn't the case for Sgt Lofthouse, as I look forward to reading his next offering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shows a true soldier !, 30 May 2013
ive never been into reading at all, but this book popped up on my amazon page and i read the first few pages (162 to be exact) and its truly caught my attention. i love the way the soldiers in the book seem like ordinary funny blokes and in a way you can feel every single moment like your in the tent across from "Jamie and Archie". I also love the way its shows the soldiers in there most vulnerable moments and how they really feel. to me this book i believe is defiantly going to be one of the best books ive read, and strongly recommend to anyone!

4.0 out of 5 stars Bloody good read, 12 Jan. 2014
Rob has captured this difficult content matter as only a soldier could, showing a passion for the subject and reverence - for those on both sides - that fought each other on that bloody night in 1982. I thought the concept of living the event through the eyes of a young soldier refreshing and allowed him latitude to show an insight into a short but bloody war.
Aa a member of the Parachute Regiment at the time, I can corroborate the accuracy of his portryal of the men and their sense of humour. For me it was a walk down memory lane, but on the last page came a poignant reminder as I read the names of the fallen. Timothy Jenkins, a young lad from Hereford who I had been friends with in basic training.
Lest we forget. [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 14 Aug. 2013
This book was a great read from start to finish.
I feel I was on the Tab to Mount Longdon and also took part in the battle.
Can't believe how cheap this book was to buy.
Treat yourself and enjoy .

A Cold Night in June: Falklands Battle of Mount Longdon