5.0 out of 5 stars Content- and price-wise, a terrific value
Published on 22 Oct 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad...
Published on 5 May 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Content- and price-wise, a terrific value, 22 Oct 1998
This review is from: Monster (Mass Market Paperback)
Alert, True Crime fans! For those of us who feast on the genre and who have known too often the frustration--a kind of tawdry humiliation, really, considering the subject-matter--of spending good dollars for bad product, Steve Jackson's "Monster" is superb value both content- and price-wise. At a beefy 530 pages (Amazon's count is uncharacteristically incorrect), Jackson's book is well-researched and features a clear narrative account that is beyond mere "easy to follow"--this book enters the realm of the "could not put it down." The book's length allows its author to include a wealth of detail regarding the heinous crimes of one Thomas Luther, and allows him to do so in an unstilted manner--there's not an incident recounted here that reads awkwardly. Unlike many convoluted attempts by authorial wannabes, Jackson's prose is the real deal; it reads as true as its recounted conversations ring. The book records the pursuit of Luther by Detective Scott Richardson, and documents the twists, turns, and inner turmoil involved in a case of this nature: As Richardson struggles first to find the body of Cher Elder and then to prove the case against the sociopathic Luther, a chronic repeat offender, the reader becomes an active agent in that pursuit, rather than a passive follower of it. Those of you well-read in the genre know what I mean when I say that this is an extremely difficult task for a writer. Jackson is worth two Ann Rules and three Jack Olsens, and those are writers I much admire. Indeed, other than Capote's "In Cold Blood," the Platonic ideal for a true-crime tome, I can think of no book I've found more of an enjoyable challenge. Those of you who, like me, are opposed to the death penalty will get a real run for your money here, a real test of true principles. Jackson's vivid details--yes, much blood here, much stabbing, strangling, and shooting; neckbones snap, faces are rearranged--make the argument for the prosecution. I'm still anti-capital punishment, but I'll admit I wouldn't lose so much as a nap, let alone a good night's sleep, to hear that Luther and other members of his ilk had, at the hands of the State, shuffled off this mortal coil.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad..., 5 May 1999
This review is from: Monster (Mass Market Paperback)
I truly enjoyed reading the book and found the story itself fascinating. My one complaint is that it was perhaps 100 pages too long. The author, while I commend him for his thoroughness, dragged the story out a bit and at times it seemed extremely repetitive. Certainly any fan of true crime accounts will find the story compelling, but don't expect a smooth, easy, fluid read.

4.0 out of 5 stars VERY Well Researched Indeed, 19 Oct 2014
Lynda Kelly "Lynda" (Shipton Bellinger, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monster (Kindle Edition)
This was VERY well researched indeed and I enjoyed it a great deal, though some silly mistakes cost it one star for me. Especially as the author's revisited it some years after original publication and I'd have hoped others may have spotted them and passed them on to correct. Most were words dropped from sentences like of/as/a/to and some spelling mistakes-like Gacey and not Gacy, accent and not accentuate, chargrined and not chagrinned, giris and not girls, occassion not occasion, imporant not important, drown not down.....not good. Then one person was Will on one page and Joe the next. There were apostrophe errors as well so editing is sloppy.
That aside, I'll certainly look for more in this genre by him as he does a really good job. I saw reviews mentioning repetition but it was a long book and in a few instances it was handy and saved me flicking back and forth.
I'd never heard of Thomas Luther and his awful crimes before so all credit to Mr Jackson for telling us all about him and also for ensuring Mary, Heather and Cher won't be forgotten. A huge salute to Scott Richardson and all he did to bring Luther to justice, too. He really went over and above the call of duty. The passages about the funeral arrangements had me in tears...I had a lot of time for Southy Healey too. Most of those Luther associated were as big a liars as he is but Southy came good. I thought Deb was a flake and her husband a saint for putting up with her. I lost patience with her just reading about her.
The Footloose story mention was interesting so Googled it but it says it was based around a place called Elmore City in Chicago and not Purdy in Missouri which was disappointing.
I wondered about the 2 girls murdered in the Colorado mountains as killers don't usually kill then revert to letting one get away as Luther did so I am not sure I believe he also killed them. The author also mentioned Bobby Jo at one point saying the irony wasn't lost on investigators but it was on me !! Wagner's gun was also referred to at one point and however hard I went back and looked I still never figured out who THAT was !!
I'm pleased there was a postscript to the story and I really liked the author's final words in the book-so very true.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping coverage of a horrible crime., 12 July 1999
This review is from: Monster (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm a voracious reader of true crime and find that too many of them are poorly written. This book is unusually well written and well organized. I came across the book by following a cable show on NecroSearch, the volunteer forensics organization that participated in helping Richardson put Luther away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 May 2014
This review is from: Monster (Kindle Edition)
One of the best true crime books I've ever read. Yes it is long but that's because Steve Jackson has given a well detailed, thorough account of the Monster and his crimes. Would definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars monster by steve jackson, 9 Mar 2014
This review is from: Monster (Kindle Edition)
read this book after being told about it by my son,it has to be the bast book I have ever read,the detail is quite amazing,and just so well written,felt every location,in the wind and snow,made me cry listening to the familys comments near the end,and what an amazing old fashioned dectective ,dog eared and determined,there are not many like him around and god bless him,I have now downloaded all Steve Jacksons books ,and can honestly say this book has to be read to warn people that serial killers come in all disguises,having read it it has stayed in my mind and Im sure it will do for a very long time. A triumph in writing .

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read., 6 Nov 2013
This review is from: Monster (Kindle Edition)
Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed this well researched and detailed book it was 100 pages too long. A definitive record of a fascinating subject .

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 28 Oct 2013
This review is from: Monster (Kindle Edition)
As far as true crime books go this is amongst the best and I've read many, hard to put down,

5.0 out of 5 stars Monster, 5 Aug 2013
joy page (west yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monster (Kindle Edition)
Wow! What a story,Why do women always believe they can save their man ,best place for him,all the man hours plus other murders to get the actual killer,fantastic true read,Joy Page England

5.0 out of 5 stars Great true crime story, 19 Dec 2011
This review is from: Monster (Mass Market Paperback)
This is a first class true crime book which is about how a detective refused to give up on bringing to justice a serial killer of young women. Extremely well written.

Monster