Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 12 April 2016
This film caught me by surprise. It's rare to see such a well-done SF film with good ideas where everything else also comes together - plot development, characters and action. The real surprise was to discover at the end that it was by Stephenie Myer (yes, I came to it that blind - apart from it being SF, I had no idea what to expect). Where the Twiglet saga films come across as excercises in Pure Corn, immaculate music videos, exploiting teen crush popularity culture ('I sparkle in the sun'), this film develops Myer's writing into a sophisiticated story.

It's a sign of a good film to have many good characters, and this film does, but Saoirse Ronan stands out in what could be a difficult role to pull off without confusing (essentially playing 2 x characters in one). There are points where there is true humour when the characters in her head are at odds with each other.
on 20 August 2013
Looking for something different well come along and let this be your find. This show is very unusual and equal to all others in the same frame. The story is fantastic and the actors do it great justice with their acting making it what it is. Story goes aliens start taking over the planet by taking over the human body, now there is action all the way through and mistrust while the last survivors must fight and try to live in hiding while these things control everything around them. Now that is all I am revealing as not to kill your interest in a wonderful movie that deserves to be watched and judged by you, so what are you waiting for go get it then relax to a fabulous night at home with your feet up eating the popcorn. I rated this an A grade plus for keeping the interest alive in the movie, that keeps you riveted to the chair and for full on entertainment that you can enjoy.
on 30 August 2013
I'd read the book years ago, which is excellent, and I was not expecting much from this as I could not see how the book could be faithfully reproduced. However, this is a good adaptation and a better film that is engaging from beginning to end. I'd strongly recommend it, regardless of whether sci-fi is normally your thing – In fact while sci-fi fans may find it a little tame, as this is not your standard action oriented sci-fi, non-sci-fi-fans may find it more engaging as it's more akin to Dark City or The Thirteenth Floor, where the premise puts the characters in dilemmas that do not exist in real life.
on 26 March 2015
This film is so grabbing... Wish they'd make another one! It's the kind of film... If you save yourself a little while just to sit down and relax... Youl love this!
on 5 July 2013
I would recommend this to adults and tenagers it is simply amazing i have read the book and love it some things they miss out or slightly change but some they keep the same it is an absolutely brilliant film i couldnt recommend it more alsoread the book as well i watched the film before i read the book but it was still amazing melanie stryder thinks she is the only one along with her brother Jamie alive as the souls have taken over then they find Jared Howe they fall in love and then the seekers come melanie tries to lead them away and jumps out a high window as there is no escape so she can die andthey cant put a soul inside her however although causing serious damage toher body she just aboutlives they heal her and put a soul called wanderer inside her however melanie resists she fights back talks to wanderer inside her head and shows her memories of Jared she forces wanderer to find Jared and Jamie on the brink of death her uncle jeb finds her and takes her inside the humans hate her espe iallyjared as they had taken melanie watch how they prove to jared that melanie is still alive inside and he growsto believe and how another romance blossoms and friendships areformed watch melanie and wanda as uncle jeb nicknamss her become like sisters it is a great and a great film i hope you thoroughly enjoy it as much as I did i only wish it would never end and have more of jared and melanies romance scenes absolutely amazing
on 17 September 2013
Brilliant film me and hubby have watched it couple of times its a film i will not get bored of
on 2 August 2013
I quite enjoyed The Host. It's a different slant on the earth invasion story by a hostile race who are looking for resources and aren't too happy with the way humans are treating the planet or each other. It probably won't be to everyone's taste but the character interaction and acting is very good.

I assume it's not a hugely budgeted science fiction film but there are some very shiny cars and helicopters and a great series of caves under a volcano where the human survivors live. Well worth watching, well it was for me, recommended.
on 8 April 2016
I went to YouTube to watch the trailer expecting something else and was like, looks crap but I decided to watch the first 5 or 10 mins still and got lured into watching it all. I'm glad I watched the whole movie now because it was great so I take back what I said. Nice Sci-Fi film with a good story of romance and alien parasites trying to take over the world with some nice twists and some heartwarming/sad moments with a nice cast in the film. Seems like an underrated film to me but it shouldn't be. :)
on 10 July 2014
Another interpretation of an old tale but again I thoroughly enjoyed it and would highly recommend another keeper for my collection.
on 22 August 2013
I wasnt sure about this movie because I had never read the book but based on what I watched you really dont have to its a brilliant movie that stands on its own and I found it to be a great excuse to sit for a few hours and just watch a as the story unfolds some people who have read the book hated the movie but its all perception and what you ultimately take from it dont dig too deep because its a gem just waiting to be picked up its complete fiction but hey its good fiction