5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tool for multisport!, 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: Suunto Ambit2 Sports Watch (Sports)
I had the first Ambit and, while a bit dissapointed that by releasing the second Suunto decided to not support the first, I got the second one.
Pros:
+Excellent battery life - Suunto rated it at 16h for 1second capture interval and Highest GPS power setting. Compared to the first one I can say that the battery lasts more. If you are willing to decrease the GPS power to Normal then the battery will last up to 25h. I tried it and the distance is a bit off (it showed 2-3% more than I actually ran) but I was in the woods.

+Improved design - it seems that Suunto learned from the mistakes made with the first model. The bezel is now made from a hard plastic that is not scrached so easily as the aluminium from the previous model.

+More applications/sport as compared to one application/sport for the first model. While I did not give it much thought at first I started using several apps for advanced workouts. It is a good workaround for some of the missing features. I will go into detail -when I will highlight the Cons.

+Overall build quality - better than any Garmin I owned (410,310XT). No fogging, no scratches on the glass.

+Suunto`s Movescount platform is a great tool to view your workouts.

Cons:
-The only thing that bothers me with the watch is that Suunto did not develop a way to design advanced workouts. My main sport is running and I need to do advanced workouts like progressive tempos and intervals. While there is an interval functionality in place it is limited to just low and high interval, which could be time or distance, and number of repeats. If you need more than this you will have to write your own app or use and existing one (http://www.seckle.ch/tools/suunto-ambit-apps/time-interval-app/). While this is a nice workaround its cumbersome as each time you will need to change intervals you will need to modify the app and upload it to the watch again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome bit of kit, but not perfect, 25 Aug 2013
This review is from: Suunto Ambit2 Sports Watch (Sports)
Although this is my first watch of this type I've been massively impressed in what it can do. I bought it mainly for the triathlon mode and although there are others in the market such as the 910XT I wanted to be able to wear it every day, especially considering the price point!

The online Movescount isn't the most intuitive to use, but after some time with it it is impressive, especially the apps that other users create that you can download onto the watch. Also being able to add other sport modes to the watch like Surfing, Sailing and Flying are a nice touch and means I can use it for work. Also, the battery life is fantastic, I was a little dubious if I would be constantly charging it or running out halfway through an exercise but its never been an issue.

Two gripes that stop me giving it full marks are that I think Suunto should have included the ANT stick allowing wireless connectivity to your laptop, a bit tedious having to plug it in. Also despite the mineral glass screen it does scratch quite easily as does the bezel, which is a little disappointing.

But all things considered it'll be a trusty companion for many years to come

5.0 out of 5 stars A Splendid Watch for Sportsman and Country Walker, 24 July 2013
C. J. Jenkins - See all my reviews
This review is from: Suunto Ambit2 Sports Watch (Sports)
I have had a number of watches which I used for sports events (Swim, Cycle, Run, Kayaking) with various external attachments such as GPS pods. I have also had to have a different set of watches for use in the hills when out walking which would give me altitude & direction.

At last Suunto have come up with a watch which covers all these evens in one single smart, robust and well powered unit. I am particularly impressed with the battery life and for the first time I can use a GPS watch as my daily time keeper as there is no danger of it showing that it is out of battery power.

Best piece of sports / outdoor equipment I have bought for a long while. Well worth the investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars great watch, 23 May 2014
This review is from: Suunto Ambit2 Sports Watch (Sports)
This watch is certainly out on its own, the gps in exercise mode is exceptionally quick, I used this first at home in Ireland on exercise then again in the middle east and the gps
Aquired and functioned in less than 2mins considering it was last used 4000km from its last exercise session plus the battery life is quite good as well(dependin on how you useit!)

Suunto Men's Watch SS019561000