on 6 July 2013
I've tried a few other stoves before like the Esbit and the British Army hexy stove, but they have all been lacking in some respect, where you can use it or what fuel you can use etc.
I saw a video for the Firebox on youtube and thought it was great, but too big and heavy. So I started looking around for smaller alternatives, and there were a few.
Most notable were the Emberlit and The Pocket Stove. I was poised to hit the BUY button on The Pocket Stove when I found a vid for The BushBox.
The pro's and con's will differ for each of you depending on who you are, where you are and what you're using it for, but I found this to be the best for the following reasons:

Out of the 3, the Bushbox was the cheapest at £20 (The Pocket Stove = £25) and the Emberlit around £26).
(The BushBox came with trivets as standard, whereas the with others you had to buy things like this as accessories pushing up the cost).

The Emberlit was too big for me (I understand they have now made a smaller version to compete with these stoves), the Pocket Stove was thinner and I didn't like the way you could see it flexing when the guy was putting it together).

Both the Emberlit and The Pocket Stove have a funneled top meaning the pot stand area was quite small.
By contrast, the BushBox was square at the top meaning I could stand more than a cup on it and still have it stable.

The Emberlit only has a solid base plate WITHOUT holes, The Pocket Stove only has a base plate WITH holes, BUT the BushBox has BOTH meaning I can burn wood and have the solid plate underneath to catch the hot stuff, also, by swapping the plates around I can use this with my Trangia alcohol burner and solid fuels such as hexamine, making this more versatile and safer than the other two.

I favour the Trangia with this, I haven't used one since I was a kid, but it works very effectively with this stove (I boiled 4 pint mugs from cold and got a fifth hot enough to wash in off one fill), and I know that when I run out of fuel I can switch to twigs no problem (meaning that I don't have to carry a ton of fuel with me or worry about running out).

I love this stove. It's what I have wanted all along but didn't know it.
It's sturdy, well manufactured (as you would expect from the Germans) a useful size, not too heavy (this packs away so light and small I don't know I'm carrying it (the pouch it's in probably weighs more!)), it's easy to put together and take apart.
I can use it anywhere , it's discreet and doesn't give off much light or smoke and because it's got an ash pan it reduces the risk of setting fire to your environment.
It's small enough to count as EDC if you're happy not carrying fuel for it.

I have had this so that the trivets glow red hot, and yet it is cool enough to handle and put away a few minutes later.
It CAN be a little labour intensive using wood, as you have to keep feeding it to keep it going, but I am going to try it with small barbeque briquettes or something similar to see if I can get away from that and get a more even and sustainable fire for the odd occasions when I am cooking for more than myself.

Like I said at the top, we're all different and we will all have different requirements, so I recommend that you check out your options as I did and come to your own conclusions.
But having said that, I have found NO drawbacks to this burner other than the one I mentioned. It is a brilliant little thing and I am sure I will be carrying this with me for a very long time and I wish I'd had it a long time ago.
I would DEFINITELY recommend this stove to anyone. You won't be disappointed.
on 7 August 2013
Got my today, came through the letter box, a cooker through the letter box, hahaha.

Really easy to put together, clicks together and forms a totally solid little burner. Probably the most efficient way of heating your pan, uses hardly any fuel. I chopped a small bit of log we use in our wood burner up into little pieces, probably used 1/5 of the wood I cut to boil two large mugs of tea and do a large portion of scrambled eggs, then just let it burn for ten minutes. Tiny amount of fuel, seriously surprised at how it heated the mess tin, I expected to use all the fuel.

When you are ready to take it apart remember that there are little latches cut out in the top four joining points. You need to gently pull both the front and back sections along their upper edge outwards and upwards. This allows the latches to clear the little protrusions and easily slide upwards. If you try and just pull them up they won't budge, take a close look when you get one and you'll see what I mean.

Similar thing when you put it together, just gently push the front and back down then place the burner on a flat surface and push evenly down on the front and back till you hear the click of the latches as they snap under the protrusions. This will be solid, I stood on mine to just to prove a point to myself.

Great product worth every penny,

Anthony
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 6 December 2013
This is a great little stove for 1 or 2 people at an absolute push. Nicely designed and when dissembled, takes up next to no space in my daysack when flat packed. I've used it with wood and it was fine but it excelled with my trangia and a home made penny stove as it provided a little extra weather shielding. It provides a good solid base for cooking using mess tins or, using the provided trivets, heating up a single mug. It arrived quickly, is of good quality, is easy to assemble but a little fiddly to disassemble, until you get the nack (see previous reviews). If you're a little more adventurous or cooking for more people, get the next size up.I really recommend this product.
on 12 February 2014
When it first arrive I thought it a bit heavy for backpacking! In hindsight I will be using it with a Trangia burner. Therefore I have dispensed with the ash plate saving approximately 100g.

Easy to setup took 2 minutes the first time, 30 seconds now. De- assembling easy IF you remember the minute lips need to be released (read instructions) It seems as though at least one reviewer didn't and tried to just just pull it apart!

Packs small leaving more space in backpack. Using a burner should be OK
on 22 July 2013
Love it !
Looks great. Packs neatly into a very small package. Can be used with a variety of fuels. Works great.
Could just be a wee bit less pricey, but I guess you get what you pay for and this is a quality product.
on 21 December 2013
Fits in your back pocket - seriously - in a little flat pouch. Once you get the hang of it it's easy to make and dismantle - there are tiny locking bits of metal that need pushing out on the tops of the sides. Really good, and stuck in the front of your tent it gives you something to do on those long, cold winter nights.
on 5 November 2013
Easy to construct and use, requires little fuel which can be sourced easily.
Very simple to add to your EDC and takes up little space.
Very happy!
on 1 July 2013
the best stove i have bougth so far and i highly reconmend it and it works well with a trangia stove
on 19 June 2013
After researching a good number of these fireboxes, including the American & British versions, I was very happy to find this light-weight (almost EDC) version made in high quality German steel. It is just small and light enough to be carried in my day pack and will fit nicely with Trangia mini cook set. I'm all about light weight and great design and I wasn't disappointed when this stove arrived in the mail. It is easy to put together and very stable. Perhaps a little tricky to take apart but I figured it out after a few tries (I threw away the instructions). Anyhow, many thanks for an excellent product guy. Well done!
on 13 April 2015
Now that I have used my Bushbox in many situations I am glad I did my research and chose this burner. Have now cooked on it in the woods with my Trangia burner, gel fuel, hexamine tabs and of course plain old wood and it is more versatile than any other burner I have used or made.
Once the box is full of embers it keeps my cup (of cider) lovely and warm for a long time in the cold, wet woods.
I personally don't use the trivets as everything fits on it. I like the way the bottom plates can be moved to the middle or top. Having the holed plate at the top makes it easy to cook morsels of meat over the embers.
The Bushbox will now always be taken and used on every adventure I have as my main kit, especially due to the small pack size.