5.0 out of 5 stars The Eye of the Storm
Published 9 months ago by L Turner

3.0 out of 5 stars Uninteresting Story
The actors were all good! The story I found weak and confusing to put together. The best part was the end when the old lawyer finally came through.
Published 5 months ago by Sue Polansky

5.0 out of 5 stars The Eye of the Storm, 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Eye of the Storm (DVD) (DVD)
I was encouraged to see this after reading Philip French's review and thought it was excellent and certainly one of the best performances from Charlotte Rampling I have ever seen.I also thought Judy Davis, who plays her daughter, was incredible - a not particularly likeable character you wind up having great sympthay for. This is a good quality film with touches of humour that will probably make you appreciate your own family a whole lot more.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Eye of the Storm, 21 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Eye of the Storm (DVD) (DVD)
I saw this at the cinema a couple of months ago and had high expectations about the acting - what a cast - but was a bit concerned that is might be a bit heavy because of the subject matter. I needn't have worried, as the film is very, very good and surpisingly funny. Judy Davis was amazing - her facial expressions alone conveyed her character's vulnerability and disgust - and an aged up Charlotte Rampling playing the manipulative matriach, was very convincing and also touching. The film looked beautiful too and I keep remembering bits of dialogue that have really stayed with me.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit drivelly if there is such a word, 11 May 2014
My Review of `The Eye of the Storm`

This 2011 Australian film adaption of the famous novel by Patrick White didn't reach Edinburgh where I live until 2013 - and even then I missed it as I don't generally look at the cinema listings in the local paper. It was shown in awkward to get places like Cambridge, London, Lincoln and Keswick (in the Lake District) which are hundreds of miles away. I have only seen it recently (May 2014) by paying to view it online.

I am sorry to say that I was disappointed by this film. Yes, I know the novel won The Nobel Prize for Literature in 1973 and is considered a classic. However I watched it largely out of my admiration for two renowned Australian actresses Elizabeth Alexander and Judy Davis. Also to see Geoffrey Rush who was so good in the film biopic of Peter Sellers ` The Life and Death of Peter Sellers ` (2004). I remember Elizabeth `Liz` Alexander from a really good activist's film from 1981 called `The Killing of Angel Street` directed by Donald Crombie and Judy Davis from a film with a similar theme called `Heatwave` (directed by Phillip Noyce). Those were the early 1980's - the so-called New Wave of Aussie cinema.

In my opinion however warped it may sound `The Eye of the Storm` was simply about a lot of rich spoilt over grown brats squabbling over their share of their dying mother's estate. At the risk of sounding ageist - actresses Judy and Liz have matured. They were in their 20's in the aforementioned 1981 films about the disappearance of green activist Juanita Nielsen, They have aged - yes that's an awful thing to say as I'm pushing 60 myself but they were so good to look at then and the films both carried a strong social activist message. `The Eye of the Storm` is about middle-aged rich greedy bastards who can't wait for their mother to die - I think we need activist's films like John Pilger's `Utopia` or those 70's films from Oz like `Summerfield` (1977 with Nick Tate and John Waters and a 25 year-old Liz Alexander) or `Patrick` (1978 with Robert Thompson, Robert Helpmann and Susan Penhaligon) - that was a genuinely scary horror film. Or remember Don's Party from 1976 with the late great John Hargreaves, Pat Bishop, Ray Barrett and Graham Kennedy?

I'm sorry to sound like a sexist ageist pig but I'm afraid that's my view, - I could watch `The Killing of Angel Street` (1981) - `Heatwave ` (also 1981 released 1982) `Winter of Our dreams` (1981) and `Summerfield` (1977) over and over but one viewing of the `The Eye of the Storm` was enough for me. Apologies to Fred Schepisi who did such a good job with `The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith` (1978).

Yes, I know who am I to talk? I wouldn't get much fan mail if I appeared in any Aussie soapies or films. I am overweight and ugly like Robert Maxwell although I haven't stolen 500 million (AUD$900 million) from the pension funds like he did. Although I'm not like him character wise I do have one thing in common with him (apart from obesity), I'm not a very good swimmer like the great investigative journalist John Pilger.

John who is still globe-trotting in his 70's promoting his films and is nice and slim to boot is Sydney born of mixed Irish-German descent and is one of the nicest men you could hope to meet. John was brought up in Bondi Beach and is still swimming like a fish while I'm more of a beached whale. John Pilger used to be employed by Robert Maxwell when he wrote for the British Daily Mirror which the fat Czech managed to change from a decent paper for working class people into a poor imitation of Rupert Murdoch's ghastly `Sun`.

The great thing about the cinema of the past is that the players never grow old - neither does the social activist's message which is still as relevant today as it was 33 years ago when the films about activist and environmental campaigner Juanita Nielsen were made - the chief suspect in her disappearance and presumed death was a charming gentleman called Mr Sin (actually Sydney gangster Abe Saffron). Well I'm no oil painting but at least I don't have people bumped off or knee capped or threaten to murder anyone I don't like as he was reputed to have done.

For more info on this Australian Al Capone read the book by Tony Reeves (1940-2013) `Mr Sin: the Abe Saffron Dossier`- Tony received death threats while writing it but you needn't worry Mr Sin passed on in 2006 so Tony survived him by 7 years in spite of the intimidations.

Lastly, good luck to the whole cast of `The Eye of the Storm` Liz, Charlotte, Judy, Geoffrey, Colin, Helen and Fred and his lovely daughter Alexandra. I'm sure they'll make many more award winning films. I won't be in them - I expect I will never even get an autograph from any of the cast or director after what I've just written but at least what I said was from the heart however twisted and unkind it may have sounded.

Best Wishes from Granton, Edinburgh,
Paul O'Hanlon

(Never a star nor likely to be unless Fred Schepisi wants a Robert Maxwell or Moby Dick lookalike whose only merit is that he doesn't drink or swear or embezzle huge amounts of money like the real ` Bouncing Czech` Robert Maxwell did).

4.0 out of 5 stars Odd film, 28 April 2014
This review is from: The Eye of the Storm (DVD) (DVD)
Bought this for my mum who knew Helen Morse (the maid) as a child. Watched it with her and both decided that, although well acted, it's a very odd film! (Don't recommend watching with your 80 year old mother)

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful proper drama, 14 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Eye of the Storm (DVD)
This movie is slow-moving, with no car-chases, so won't appeal to all. However if you give it your full attention it will repay you. The Acting is all top-notch (both the big names and possibly even more so the supporting cast). Beautiful Australian backdrops - really recreates the atmosphere of 1970s Australia. The story is an accurate representation of a Patrick White novel - which in itself is an achievement. No heroes and lots of villains, but nobody being entirely one thing.
A good old cerebral journey: Well worth the effort.

3.0 out of 5 stars Uninteresting Story, 3 Mar 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Dressing up for adults, 23 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Eye of the Storm (DVD) (DVD)
Oddly compelling watching, but the repetitive meanderings of White's novel don't transfer too readily to the screen. The actors act their socks off, but the oppressive symbolism of the novel affects the narrative structure of the film. The decline and fall are all too predictable. Some of the sets are ravishing - and the scenes set in the extraordinary Ripponlea in the outskirts of Melbourne powerfully evoke an era of money-damage to the weirdest of families. Charlotte Rampling clearly enjoyed hamming up the whole thing, and the actors as a group must have relished their chance to overact in splendid costumes. Nevertheless, I stuck with the show, which was more than a cut above the usual straight to DVD film.

4.0 out of 5 stars okay, 28 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Eye of the Storm (DVD) (DVD)
okay and I had seen it before. One for the shelf! That all I have to say about this purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really bad movie, 24 Nov 2013
T. Hatchman "tina-Niko-Hatchman" (Kent UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Eye of the Storm (DVD) (DVD)
I was recommended to buy this movie as it was on one of the recommended lists due to me buying The Mill series. God only knows why i bought it. I guess a lot of it was down to the fact it had a great cast. Its one of the most boring movies i have ever watched. For the first 10 minutes i was ok but after that it went down hill pretty fast. Rubbish movie that i wish i never spent so much on.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a nice character in it, 3 Feb 2014
J. Glazer - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Eye of the Storm (DVD) (DVD)
It could be tricky deciding which would be the better option; whether to watch this film or committing suicide. Not much to choose.

The Eye of the Storm (DVD)
The Eye of the Storm (DVD) by Fred Schepisi (DVD - 2013)
6.77