5.0 out of 5 stars Very emotional and gripping
I am a huge fan of Diane Chamberlain and her books, and so I was very excited about starting The Courage Tree.

Published 8 months ago by Megan ReadingInTheSunshine

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - but with reservations !!
Published 6 months ago by David H J Ashdown

5.0 out of 5 stars Very emotional and gripping, 4 Nov 2013
Megan ReadingInTheSunshine (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Courage Tree (Paperback)

Janine's daughter Sophie, like any child, wants a life full of fun and adventure, and so Janine lets her daughter go on her first camping trip away from home. But when Sophie doesn't return, Janine is thrown into a battle against time, as her Sophie isn't like the other children, she is suffering from a rare kidney disease, and every day her daughter is missing is one day closer to her death...

This is an EXCELLENT story, I was hooked from the first page and quickly drawn in to Janine and Sophie's life. It is a book where once you pick it up, you will find it VERY difficult to put down. I read the book so quickly, I raced through the pages because I needed to know what would happen next.

The Courage Tree is very emotional, my heart ached at the thought of Sophie missing, and I really longed for her parents to find some answers, I really felt for the heartache that Janine and Joe (Sophie's father) were going through, and it spurred me on as I was desperate to know where their daughter was. Janine was a particularly well-writen character, I could feel the fear and the tension radiating from her as she raced against time to discover more about the whereabouts of her daughter

Diane Chamberlain has really excelled in this book. I liked that as well as the main story line, there was the issue of medical care explored too, and whether alternative medicines and studies can be beneficial, with the characters sharing opposite views on the treatments that Sophie can receive - this was particularly interesting to read about. I also loved the story behind the title of the book, The Courage Tree and I thought it was a wonderful touch to this novel.

I want to say so much more but I'm keen not to give anything away. The Courage Tree is an emotional, moving and powerful novel that will have you gripped to the pages. I would HIGHLY recommend this!

4.0 out of 5 stars HIghly recommended, 31 Oct 2013
ElaineG (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Courage Tree (Hardcover)
This is a story that I got totally lost in. Full of tension and drama it is a story that is every parent's worst nightmare; Janine's eight year old daughter Sophie has disappeared on the way home from camp and to make matters even more terrifying for her family, Sophie has end stage kidney disease and needs treatment fast.

The story is one of a family coping in these circumstances - the blame, the guilt, the pressure but most of all, the lengths a mother will go to in order to save and protect her child.

At the same time there is a subplot unfolding in the background. Zoe is an aging actress and, just like Janine, she is prepared to do anything to save her daughter, Marti. Eventually these two stories merge in the build up to what is a very dramatic, moving and satisfying ending. My only negative feeling about the book is that I would like to have seen what happened to Zoe in the end. I didn't really like the way I was told about the climax of her story.

All in all though, this is a really good, moving read. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping to the end, 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Courage Tree (Kindle Edition)
a five star read all the way to the final word. this book jeopardized my early nights as I couldn't put it down. a great mix of tension, cautionary tales, life lessons and the meaning of love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 20 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Courage Tree (Kindle Edition)
This book was a wonderful story well written by Diane Chamberlain in her usual wonderful way. Keeps you hanging in the edge if your seat the whole way through. If you are a mother I dare you to try reading it without a tear in your eye.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Author, Fantastic Book, 1 Mar 2014
A. Kerr (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Courage Tree (Paperback)
I was already a fan of Diane Chamberlain when I began this book, little did I know that this would become my new favourite by this author!

I found this book to be fantastic, I finished it in less than 24 hours because I just couldnt put it down! I was constantly intrigued and on edge, wanting to know what was happening next and the answers to lots of questions which came up. I really liked the twists and turns which revealed themselves when I least expected it.

The beginning of the book starts with a character who is then not spoken of for a while, I was unsure of what this character had to do with the main story for a while, but all makes sense later on in the book.

The book is really well written, it is easy to follow and evokes emotions in the reader. There is enough detail that I feel as though I am there with the characters, yet there are gaps left so that you can fill in the rest using your imagination.

I didnt want this book to end, and I know that I will be re-reading it very soon because I enjoyed it that much

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed this book, 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Courage Tree (Kindle Edition)
I was hooked by the story and the lives of the characters and the plot turns out to be more intricate than I first expected which was great and very satisfying. There were a couple of moments in the story where I wanted more of a reaction from the characters or a more dramatic portrayal of events but the realism would probably have suffered for this so I suppose I'll go and get my drama fix from something trashier. Overall this was a very engrossing read

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic read from Diane Chamberlain, 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Courage Tree (Paperback)
This is the second book I have read by Diane Chamberlain and it definitely won't be the last. I was hungry for more after reading The Lost Daughter so I bought this and Keeper of the Light from here (tip: have a quick look at the latter if you haven't ready, currently for sale at bargan basement price!!).

To start with, I found the storyline about the Hollywood star and her daughter a bit bizarre, and I wasn't sure how it would tie in with the main story about Sophie and her mother, but tie in it did, and wonderfully so... along with plenty of other unexpected twists and turns along the way.

I know Diane Chamberlain has been compared with Jodi Picoult, and I have read and liked many of JP's books but for me, DC has the edge in that she doesn't elaborate on legal jargon, which sometimes became tedious and long-winded in JP's books. DC has a lovely way of telling the story that allows it to flow nicely and flits seamlessly from one character to the other whilst keeping your interest throughout. It is cleverly written whilst still being remarkably easy to read, and for that I admire DC tremendously.

I am now reading Keeper of the Light, which will hopefully be up to the same magnificent standard as this one and the Lost Daughter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Courage Tree (Kindle Edition)
What a lovely book. This is the first Diane Chamberlain book I have purchased and it drew me in straight away. Such a refreshing change as I have read some tedious books recently and it was good to get into a book. The only downside was it was so good I finished it so quickly because I couldn't put it down. However, I then went on to purchase Keeper of the Light also by Diane Chamberlain. I am currently reading this and again enjoying it immensely. When reviewing I never talk about the storyline as I don't want to spoil it for anyone else. All I give is a recommendation and I highly recommend The Courage Tree to everyone. I will also be doing the same for the Keeper of the Light. I've nearly finished this one too and will be purchasing more by this author. She is a true storyteller.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good story, 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Courage Tree (Kindle Edition)
I liked the characters, a few twists, good book to take on holiday, easy reading, would recommend it to most readers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - but with reservations !!, 6 Jan 2014
David H J Ashdown (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Courage Tree (Kindle Edition)
Janine's young daughter Sophie who suffers from a terminal kidney disease doesn't return from her first trip camping with the brownies and the race is on to find her before she succumbs. There is also a sub-plot with Zoe an ageing film star who wants to save her own daughter from a life in the slammer and inevitably the two plots coincide at some point. My main gripe is that too many far fetched incidents happen and at the end you're left with the thought that it couldn't or wouldn't have happened without stretching the bounds of possibility to the extreme. It's a pleasing enough tale but it's based too much on wishful thinking and believability in a super herbal remedy " Herbalina" that's been discovered as the answer to kidney failure , there's hope and there's wishful thinking and I think this is closer to the latter. However having said that maybe there will be discoveries in nature that will prove valuable in medicine as my background in research chemistry has opened my mind to the likelihood that eventually we will find miracle cures in the most unlikely places - I hope !!

The Courage Tree