VINE VOICEon 27 May 2013
This book begins with a very intriguing chapter, which will get you completely hooked. Tessa works very hard for an antiques auction house, and is expecting to get a lucrative promotion. She sees this as a reward for all the hours that she has put in, but on the very day of her interview, she is taken ill with severe stress related symptoms and rushed to hospital. She also has a visit from someone with information about a family that she never knew she had. This is a book which takes place both in the present, and in Europe during the second world war. It's a lovely comforting story, set on a wonderful farm that I really wish was real, and with lots of food and a few recipes too. As Tess gradually relaxes and begins to recover, she learns what's really important in her life, and more especially, who. A great read that I really enjoyed, and was sorry to finish.
on 14 September 2013
This is one of the nicest books I've read in a long time. It is well written, very descriptive and definitely gives you the feel good factor. The recipes introduced at the beginning of each section are tempting and I will in fact try them, no doubt with Isabel in my thoughts. Even now I have finished the book I just can't stop thinking about the characters and wish I could continue to be in their lives.
on 30 October 2013
Enjoyed this book, makes a change not to have unnecessary violence, gratuitous sex to have a good read. Would read any other books by this author.
on 1 July 2015
The Apple Orchard is about Tess, a treasure hunter who’s life solely revolves around work and the occasional catch up with friends. However her world is ripped apart when one day a man turns up at her office telling her she’s inheriting half an estate from the grandfather she didn’t even know – the other half being inherited by the half sister she never knew about either.

I had mixed feelings about this book. I really enjoyed it however it was a bit too unbelievable.

At first I found Tess hard to relate to however the more she opened up about herself, the more I liked her. Dominic was extremely likeable however thinking back he was pretty much perfect, which is way too unrealistic. Everyone else had equal measures of strengths and weaknesses except for him.

The story was written well with a steady pace. It was a mix of family saga, romance, and mystery. The story wasn’t entirely predictable however the essence of it was, which is what I found so unrealistic about it.

One thing about this book is the cooking and baking, which makes you drool. I also really enjoyed the added recipes throughout.

Overall this was a pleasant and interesting read however it was a bit too escapist for me. I would definitely recommend it if you like a light family saga and romance that really takes you out of the believability realm.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 September 2014
We skip from present America to past Denmark as a family reunited only through difficulties, has to live in the shadow of the Nazi invasion of Denmark. This is a pleasant tale and romance, slow in the middle as everyone gradually meets everyone else, then more lively at the end.

We start by meeting an elderly gentleman enjoying a morning of apple picking in his orchard in Sonoma County, then we skip to a young lady who finds hidden treasures for an auction house. Part of her job is to persuade people to part with their heirlooms as the auction firm gets commission on the sale. Her work is quite interestingly presented and we actually feel annoyed when she finds out about a relative she never knew existed and hares off to Sonoma - just as annoyed as she feels when the phone rings and she gets asked why she isn't in the office.

The middle is not that interesting apart from the constant baking which is lavishly sprinkled through the book, with recipes for anything from lavender scones to Scottish kettle pie. I am sure some people will buy this just for the sumptuous recipes and well done to the author for making them such a feature.
on 30 September 2013
I can't recommend Susan Wiggs enough and this one will not disappoint. Superb stories of characters that draw you into their lives.
on 28 December 2013
I have read several of Susan Wiggs books but think I have to say this has been one of the best. I just couldn't put it down.
I got to know the characters the place they loved and the twist and turns as the story unfolded. I really would like to read more about these people. PLEASE how about another chronicals
on 18 September 2013
i am a very big fan of Susan Wiggs any one who reads her books will enjoy this book this
on 7 February 2014
I was attracted to read this book as I am the owner of a working Apple orchard. The opening chapter did not disappoint with a fabulous description of an orchard. Although that was just about it as far as it went with any similarities to my orchard I still enjoyed this wonderful story. The flashbacks to Denmark during the 2nd world war showed a part of history I had never given a thought to. I loved the romance that developed and the sense of belonging to a family. Susan Wiggs is a wonderful story teller and there was no predictability about how it would end. I think I will try one of her other books to see if is as good.
on 31 December 2013
I liked the book so much that I ordered another one by the same author. The format of the chapters each introduced by recipes etc was unusual and interesting