4.0 out of 5 stars Haven't been this hooked in a long time despite the freezing issues.
After playing fable 2 & 3 and becoming a fan of the franchise i couldn't help myself but buy this... what a great decision!
I've only had the game for 2 days but have already racked up over 10 hours game time!
But thats not why you're here;
To my surprise the game acctually plays alot differently to other fables, but thats nothing to worry about.
The...
Published 4 months ago by Flowermum

3.0 out of 5 stars UPDATE: Now playable, but with a few conditions!
As others have already said, as a massive fan of the original I couldn't wait to get my hands on this 'remastered version'. I was really disappointed then, to find the graphics jumping all over the shop, the audio randomly cutting out, and then the dreaded freezes (where I'd have to turn my Xbox completely off), which meant I'd lost a load of progress. Sent it back for a...
Published 7 months ago by S. Rollings

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Unnecessary Reboot of the Xbox's Finest, 10 Aug 2014
J. Clarke "Alright Sally" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fable Anniversary (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
SInce this is a remake of a much beloved game, I felt it better to write up a summary of the game series and conclusion of the final product as a review of the original will be written sooner rather than later - it deserves it - and being a remake, there is little to go into detail about without going into the aspects of the original game. So here's my unhappy whinge at the the series direction and longing for a return to the ways of old - how droll.

Albion, 2004
Age 15, still in school, I picked up a game I had been looking forward to for a long, well-hyped time. Fable is the quintessential British role playing game in my eyes - your character, family slain by bandits in his youth, swears to become a hero, for better or worse.. In a land of rich environments that are a mix of medieval, rural and ancient - all with glorious scenic maps and various avenues to explore. A combat system based on melee weapons like swords and axes, outfits of armour and leather, an arsenal of magical spells bristling your fingertips... or right trigger, I should say. A year later, I would also purchase the well put together extended version - 'Lost Chapters' which surprisingly among video games, rang true to the term 'extended' for once, cueing a good few hours more gameplay, new items, locations etc.

Albion 2008
At 19 though, the thought of a sequel to a much loved game drew even more craving. Though it never lived up to its reputation - claiming a vastly superior experience to the first game, promising a dedicated multiplayer aspect (co-op) and various details that were, frankly, lied about by designer Peter Molyneux - it still managed to be a satisfying single player title. The world being far more open, it granted freedom and took away the homey, close, well crafted world of lore. It also did away with the brilliant armour system in favour of items that served only as altercations to appearance. That said, it's far easier to recall the games negatives and pitfalls as they were easily highlighted amongst a wide array of new additions to the Fable name: A dog companion, gargoyles, more DLC, more magic, guns, customisation.

Albion 2010, 2012, 2014...*sigh*
Then came this steaming hunk of never-should-have-been-made dross. All about the marketing and boycotting any soul or true magic the original title had, Fable 3 was a micro-transaction p*ss-take with a thin story, lame progression and even lamer gameplay. At this point, my opinion of Lionhead Studios and their games couldn't sink much lower... That is until I witnessed the diabolical opportunist rubbish known as Fable: The Journey - Exclusively for Kinnect! an accessories loathed and detested by most of the gaming industry, let alone hardcore fans of a dwindling franchise desperate for a revival. Perhaps that revival was 2 years too late as Anniversary hit the shelves, many would be disillusioned by its creators lack of intuitiveness and consistency. The question is - Fable Anniversary - genuine 10 year revamp or shameless cash cow?

Anniversary
The giant tacky sticker slapped on my pristine game case was not a good sign.. 'Bonus outfits weapons plus special avatar item!**' - It claims to utilise a brand new game engine - which is believable as it feels quicker and sharp. 'Use Xbox SmartGlass'.. no thank you. Achievements and lost chapters content? Yes please! The real puzzler however is the 'HD visuals' - which no doubt are displayed in 720p/1080i/1080p, but the character models aren't up to scratch for an Xbox 360 game. Perhaps the designers were trying to retain that feeling of the original or the cartoony look of characters - or maybe they were just too lazy to do much more. Luckily, the game feels totally unaltered and despite a few setbacks on the case and subtle inclusions in-game, remains true to the original, Hallelujah!

Despite the intentions behind this remakes release, one fat positive outweighs all the negatives around it - people who missed the original, via lack of interest, age, situation, whatever - have another chance - be they tainted by the likes of Fable 3 or it's gimmicky cousin, The Journey, they have the first, restored in all it's HD glory to cleanse them of such filth!

Loved or Missed Fable?
You'll like this.

Loved Fable 3 or the Journey?
You need this.

Because something is seriously wrong with you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good game, 11 Sep 2014
This review is from: Fable Anniversary (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This was one of those games that I was so excited for and yet, I feel it didn't live up to everything I wanted it to be. I was expecting to relive the adventures I had playing this as a kid and yet I was left feeling empty. Not that it isn't a good game, I think my expectations were a little too high for it. I feel like after all the progress made up to Fable 3, we've been spoiled. I was expecting it to be as good as 3 and well that's the point, 3 has moved on and learned from Fable 1 & 2 so of course I enjoy that more. If you're just starting out then this is a great place to go from. I definitely would have enjoyed this graphics whilst younger!

3.0 out of 5 stars So buggy!!, 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: Fable Anniversary (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I don't get why this game should be so buggy. I played the original on my 360 and it had its fair share of problems but I decided that I could put up with that since the original title wasn't designed to be played on the 360 console.

So I thought that maybe with this re-release the bugs would have sorted themselves. In some respects they have but I am utterly sick of gameplay being interrupted by the game freezing. Lionhead have acknowledged this issue and have released advice and asked us to fill out bug reporting forms. Sorry, but since when did the paying consumer become a games tester? This should have been caught at the testing phase. Fable II and III had similar problems with rendering and graphics jumping all over so why is this still an issue?

My Hero appears in some areas and jumps all over the place, characters talk over each other, the controls have been altered (so if you can't figure out how to allocate more than one spell to your shortcut I suggest going into the controller settings and setting it back to traditional. Why it was changed is anyone's guess).

That said, the achievements are genuinely humerous and I do love the Fable series but it feels that no matter how excited I get, I feel let down with some aspect of it. I'm not hard to please, I just don't like having to switch my console off because the game's frozen only to find my earlier save is the only one I can access which usually means doing the quest again.

I've ben compelled to write this review having been ploughing through the game only to find that close to total completion, the game froze after an autosave following defeat of a boss. I switched my console off, restarted it and accesed the most recent save (two of which were identical). The game loads up and I'm faced with a few minor baddies but when I try to leave the area, I can't. I can either stay where I am or reload an earlier save. And the only earlier save I'm left with is 3 hours gamaplay prior to the point my game froze.

To be honest I have no desire to continue this game now. I'm not going through those hours again considering this is the fifth (!!!!) time it's happened in the 15 or 16 hours gameplay I've put in.

If you buy it you'll like the feeling of seeing an old friend again. But then you remember that friend has a bit of a dodgy personality and you don't want to hang around it too long.

3.0 out of 5 stars good game a little crashy, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Fable Anniversary (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
although the storyline was great as all fable games are it was a little irritating to play as the game frequently crashes I have managed to finish the game and still happy I bought it the only one I have not played is the one on Kinect the reason being I am nearly 60 and id sooner not be jumping all over the place I might do myself a mischief lol

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game if you're lucky, 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: Fable Anniversary (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This really is a very good remake not just a simple hd rehash..... Unfortunately my 6 hour playtime has taken me about 8 hours real time due to the random freezes, I mean it would be so easy to give it 1 star because I've struggled to play it for more than 45 mins at a time but the 6 hours I have managed have been really really fun, it's just the freezing that let's it down shame really I'd give it a few weeks wait for the inevitable patches then buy it if your on the fence.

3.0 out of 5 stars Annoying Anniversary, 1 Oct 2014
This review is from: Fable Anniversary (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Well the graphics are improved, and thats about it, the problem is it keeps freezing, most annoying!, as one reviewer said Lionhead could have done much better, I would have given 5 points if it was not for this problem.

2.0 out of 5 stars oh what a shame, 6 April 2014
This review is from: Fable Anniversary (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I loved the first fable despite all it's failings but thiz is a slap in the face to fans! The frame rate drops all over the place and I get on average 3 freezes an hour. There is no excuse for releasing a game in this state especially when it runs on a game engine that is like 10 years old.

SHAME ON YOU LIONHEAD AND MICROSOFT!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Glitchy!, 6 May 2014
This review is from: Fable Anniversary (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Very disappointed in this game! It is full of bugs. Every single time i play it, it freezes at least once. It has obviously been rushed out without the dev's checking it properly. I gave up on it in the end after it froze for the tenth time, very frustrating!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic., 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: Fable Anniversary (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Fable TLC is one of my favourite games of all time and this is just the tribute I have been waiting for and expecting. Stunning visuals for a HD remake. It does freeze from time to time although I can't say it has bothered me as much as some whining people seem to make out. Just remember it save it frequently like the original! Fantastic game all around and would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Star, 5 Sep 2014
This review is from: Fable Anniversary (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Not what I hoped for in regards to this remake but still a great deal and game that's a must for the Fable saga fans

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

Fable Anniversary (Xbox 360)
Fable Anniversary (Xbox 360) by Microsoft (Xbox 360)