Platform: Xbox 360|Edition: Standard Edition|Change

on 23 March 2014
I remember as a tender teenager getting many hours of enjoyment out of SP's earlier games (South Park, Chef's Luv Shack and South Park Rally) although these are still good the fact they run on a PS1 makes them rather dated now. Needless to say I was very excited to hear that Trey and Matt were (finally) giving us another game and rushed to order it. I ended up ordering from Base.com as by the time I put the order their was such high demand on Amazon they could not give me a delivery date, unwilling to wait I confess to ordering from a site that could guarantee delivery as close to the release date as possible. I was certainly not disappointed. I usually have games sat on my shelf for months, playing for a while, shelving for a while, before continuing, however within 2-3 weeks of getting this game I have completed all of the Main Quest and a good portion of the side-quests. It is a very engaging and entertaining game and as a lifelong SP fan something that I thoroughly enjoyed playing. If you like SP as much as myself I would 100% recommend getting this product (regardless of censorship).

With regard to the censored scenes I was initially taken aback when they first occurred. However, I researched a bit online, watched the missing scenes on YouTube and it failed to bother me after that. Indeed, when I went to the abortion clinic and took my character into the doctors I knew the censored screen was coming so when it did I just laughed. It was very funny the way Trey and Matt had inserted cut screens with the backdrop of the EU flag and a description of the scene/mini-game omitted.

I do fully agree with other reviewers that I failed to understand what the problem was as the EU/UK version allows you to explore inside Mr Slave's butt and digestive system in all it's putrifying glory which was a tad more extreme that a bit of anal probing, methinks!? Also although the abortion clinic scenes were censored EU/UK players could still perform an abortion (yep, you'll need to see this to believe it!) to disarm the 'snuke', so it is hard to understand what the hue and cry was about!? I shan't go any further on this line though for risk of spoiling the game for those who have yet to complete it. All adds to the humour of double standards and state-run media standards agencies and the influence they have on the likes of Ubisoft and PEGI.

I went for the xBox version primarily because a) I have an xBox and b) although I could have bought the PC version I am not keen on the controls for RPG games in a PC format, preferring the control pad for the xBox. No other reason for selecting this product, and consequently I am happy to put up with the censorship in this release as it was in the medium most suitable to me. If censorship is something that really grinds your gears however, and the controllers aren't a major issue for you I would recommend the PC version. But, like I said nothing beats for me the console experience of RPG games, and after seeing the censored scenes/mini-games on YouTube I am satisfied that I am not missing much. In conclusion it is the most fun I have had with a computer game for a long time, a fully immersive and entertaining romp through South Park.

NB As with other reviewers I need to stress if you are easily offended I do not recommend this game as it is, in true SP fashion, very crude and at times incendiary. If you are not easily offended and want to give SP a try I suggest watching an episode or two first (they play very often on Comedy Central in the UK, and if you don't have access you can download episodes for as little as £1.89 on iTunes) to see if you like it. Owing to the topical nature of SP you do not have to watch in any particular order so pick an episode to try, if you enjoy then you may love this game, if you don't then you won't. SP is like Marmite, you either love it, or you hate it. This game is very much a spin-off of the series and is chock-full of references and is, as has been commented before, a more immersive and extreme version of an episode.
VINE VOICEon 7 March 2014
As a South Park fan, this game is exactly what I've been waiting for. It looks and feels EXACTLY like the show, and Parker & Stone have been heavily involved from the get-go, so the writing and voice-acting is very much up to scratch.

You start off by designing your own character, the "new kid", and learning how to battle in typical South Park fashion, with Cartman as your guide. The battle system is straight forward - the game is very much a turn-based RPG, and reminded me of Paper Mario or Costume Quest. It's simple enough, but there's plenty of items to collect, loads of sides-quests and an incredibly detailed town to explore.

The game is incredibly funny, too. South Park has never been just toilet humour. The gross-out, over the top, "shocking" stuff is there, but that's not what makes South Park great. Stick of Truth is overloaded with parody, and I particularly enjoyed the tongue-in-cheek digs at various video-game tropes. In the console version there are certain elements that are censored, but I feel like I might have enjoyed the tongue-in-cheek "censored" screens more than the over-the-top stuff, and certainly don't feel I missed anything important.

If you don't like South Park, you should probably stay away. But if you're a fan, I would urge you to pick this game up, even if you're not normally one for turn-base RPGs.
on 28 March 2014
If you like the TV show you will definitely enjoy playing through this game. However, the (significant) enjoyment comes from the advancing of the story, jokes and various animations instead of the satisfaction gained through completing difficult tasks. The game isn't really a challenge and feels quite short in comparison to many other single player games (13 hours to complete career mode). For an RPG to truely work there has to be some longevity and depth to it.

TSoT feels like watching a really long episode/film and although it's been executed extremely well and really is very good it's worth knowing that there isn't much actual 'game' for £40.
on 8 April 2014
This game is not for the faint hearted. As as player you will be subject to being probed in a spaceship, crawling up a rectum and many other situations which you wouldn't expect from a main stream video game. The graphics are smooth and reflect the show perfectly and the game play (though may seem frustrating at first) in this situation is the best system to use. Matt and Trey were heavily involved in the game which shows, as the comedy is still very much satire and scatological (typical Southpark) and leaves the player wondering what events and obscene sequences lie around the corner.

The only issues there are with the game is the fact that some side quests can only be done during the campaign and not done after the campaign is completed which could potentially effect getting full gamerscore. Furthermore, as IGN pointed out, although there are separate classes to choose from, there is'nt really enough of a difference between them to entice you do restart the campaign as a different class. However, these issues are completely from a personal view and may be fine for other people.

Overall, this game has to be seen as being one of the best of 2014 for these reasons and will hopefully allow for a sequel to be created soon.... one hopes!
on 17 March 2014
If you aren't a massive fan of SP then you may not love the game as much as the rest of us do, 'cause it is jam-packed FULL of references to pretty much everything that has ever happened in South Park EVER, which some people may not get, or even notice.
The game is visually amazing, it truly looks and feels just like an episode of South Park, and I still get a little kick out of seeing my character in the cut-scenes standing alongside all the SP boys =]
The open-world game-play works brilliantly, it's easy to move around with quick and smooth loading. Its really cool to see the whole of South Park mapped out for the first time ever, too!
Oh, and as Skyrim is possibly my favourite game on the planet (I know it's Trey's, too), I'll just say that all of the references to it in this game win extra Kudos from me as well.
The only thing I would criticize is that the game feels very short. I finished the main quest and all the side quests within a weekend. I dunno, perhaps that's because I have no life though...still, in comparison to other games it did feel like it was over very quickly.
A WORD OF WARNING - There is a LOT of shock humour and gross-out humour, so you know, definitely steer clear of this game if you are easily offended or have ever been truly offended by an episode of SP. I would even go as far as to say this game contains content a lot worse than I've seen in a lot of episodes of SP hahaha! So yeah, just bear that in mind :)
on 22 April 2014
Great game for friends of classical RPGs with a turn-based battle system, and of course for every fan of the series, since there are thousands of little details and gimmicks to be discovered. However, thanks to publisher Ubisoft certain scenes have been censored/cut in the European versions of the game, so that, once again, gamers on this side of the pond pay the full price for half the game. For this reason and the relative shortness of the game (playtime roughly 10 hours) I can only award 3 of 5 stars.
on 23 March 2014
For south park fans such as myself this game is a must. It has all the characters we known and love, enjoyable missions and side quests, very funny cut scenes and more. Playing the game feels like you are actually watching South Park, this just shows that the creators wanted this game to feel like South Park and not just a game. Unlike most games the stick of truth gives you a reason to play it again (without spoiling anything) as you have choices involved. Also you may choose to play with a different class. I only played as fighter but I assume if you choose a different class you will have different abilities and so on.
on 22 March 2014
Amazing game for any South Park fan,really nails the shows look ,feel and most importantly the humour ,there's something for everyone ,to bad about the censored scenes but hopefully they'll see sense can patch them back in some day ;-)
on 11 September 2014
I bought this game when it first came out but this is the first chance I've had to sit down and write a review.

Firstly, let me say this. If you are not a South Park fan don't even bother with this game. It's kinda like an inside joke, you can be involved in it and have a laugh but really you won't understand the references and why everyone else is having such a ruckus.
I enjoyed this game. It's everything I wanted the game to be and more. You'll have read online that there are parts censored and there are, quite a few to be honest, but that doesn't take away from the fun.
I was never into the toilet humour side of South Park so granted there are some bits that make me cringe whilst others have me in stitches laughing. There are so many characters from the show involved that no ones favourites are missed. My favourite characters are Tweek Tweak and Craig Tucker. The fact that both characters were featured often was a major fan girl moment for me. Craig especially - God his monotone voice and 'who gives a toss attitude' make me laugh... but I digress!

If you want a game to kill some time but not take over your whole life - this is for you.
If you are a huge South Park fan and want to roam the town as if you were actually there - this is for you.
If you like a good laugh and don't get offended easily - this is for you.

If you're offended easily, you're not into South Park and you've not got a childish sense of humour I would strongly recommend against this game.
on 17 August 2014
As a big fan of South Park i had to pick this up, to be honest i didn't have high hopes (video game adaptions of movies or shows rarely ever have any quality) but i was so surprised by the detail in the game. Trey Parker is a big Skyrim fan and it shows big time in this game.

Basically the game is a free roaming 2D RPG type game, you play as a new kid that has just moved to South Park during a kids war between Elves and Humans fighting over a powerful universe controlling relic, the stick of truth. Combat is turn based but instead of waiting for your turn you have the option of trying to negate damage by blocking your opponents attacks. You can also defeat enemies outside of combat by using the environment. There are multiple classes that are familiar to fantasy RPG players (Warrior, Mage, Thief etc) and also the Jew class added in there for laughs. Each class has it's own hilarious moves and all the debuffs and buffs that accompany them.

You also loot a lot in this game, and almost every house on the South Park map is accessible to loot (some however needing keys). References from the show are everywhere, even the junk loot have references to episodes. If you don't watch the show I'm sure you'd still find the quests really funny and if you do watch the show they are hilarious.

I have to add the music as well because it's really well done, it fits perfectly with the elves and humans battling in South Park. This is definitely by a giant distance the best South Park game to have been released. One of the best games of the year without a doubt, if you like RPGs or South Park you will love this.