5.0 out of 5 stars Grand Prix
This is my first Gran Turismo game, so I am not going to compare it with the previous games in the series. Gran Turismo 6 is quite exciting by itself. The graphics is awesome and the racing mechanics is as close to fast driving as I can tell. I was especially impressed by the playback after each race, which is presented as a well-edited video, with constant changing...
Published 5 months ago by Alan Rivière

3.0 out of 5 stars More of the Same
If you've played earlier versions of the GranTurismo franchise then don't expect any real surprises here. It's basically just more of the same with minor improvements to graphics, car handling, etc. and a new interface to make you feel less annoyed that you just shelled out more cash for essentially the same game.

Nevertheless this is a good version of the game...
Published 8 months ago by Ray Chapman

‹ Previous | 1 2 340 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Gran Turismo 5 with a number 6, 25 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Gran Turismo 6 (PS3) (Video Game)
As an ex gran turismo fan, I looked forward to this game before it came out. It claimed to have a completely rewritten handling engine and hundreds of improvements over gt5. Boy was I disappointed. This game is exactly the same as gt5, the menus have been reskinned and that's about as far as it goes. Same cars, same tracks, same handling, same graphics, same excruciatingly long loading times it doesn't even have interior views for most of the cars (fairly sure this was promised for gt6 after gt5 didn't have interior views either).
Its literally the exact same game with a higher number.
Conclusion: If you really really must get this game, get gt5 instead, you wont be missing anything

5.0 out of 5 stars More GT goodness, 23 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Gran Turismo 6 (PS3) (Video Game)
All credit to the GT team, they have produced yet another excellent version of their series.

I loved GT5 and GT6 delivers more of the same with the addition of even more glorious graphics and a far slicker user interface which was a bit fiddly in GT5.

The new tracks are fantastic. I have had the pleasure of driving Brands Hatch a few times in real life and doing so in the game feels 100% spot on.

The handling of the cars with the new physics models feels more realistic than previous versions imho.

In summary, if you enjoyed previous GT titles you should get GT6 and if you haven't, and enjoy racing games, get it :)

5 stars from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars GT6 is the Godfather of racing games, 14 May 2014
This review is from: Gran Turismo 6 (PS3) (Video Game)
I recently went back to owning a PS3, after 6 years only using an Xbox 360 (Loved my Xbox 360)
My brother bought me GT6 as a Christmas present, and since then I have not stopped playing GT6.

Its rekindled my love for Playstation, as I owned a PSOne with GT1 & GT2 over 10 years ago.

GT6 is the ULTIMATE racing game for any petrol heads or car enthusiast out there.
From the amazing graphics, car handling, tracks and constant free updates in the game to the slick menu systems.

Granted people will pick faults with the game, but for me this is a 10/10 game. Can't wait to see what GT7 will be like on the PS4.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jaw-droppingly realistic video game only enhanced by a good quality steering wheel and pedal set such as the Logitech G27., 30 Oct. 2014
D. M. Short - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gran Turismo 6 (PS3) (Video Game)
This is a superbly detailed and realistic video game only enhanced by a good quality steering wheel and pedal set such as the Logitech G27.

I'm 40 and my son is 5 and we both enjoy it. It's quite scary seeing a little boy racing a virtual Subaru Impreza around Silverstone :-/

I guess the biggest compliment that I can give this internationally popular game is that it's the only computer or console game I can tolerate.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great game - when it works!, 14 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Gran Turismo 6 (PS3) (Video Game)
Just performed an update for gt6 for the third times and yet it still won't open! On a hunch I went to the Polyphony website and followed their advice but surely they should contact us to let us know how to fix the errors?

Even following advice still it doesn't work!

Although I bought this from zavvi I wanted to warn amazon users too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Game, 12 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Gran Turismo 6 (PS3) (Video Game)
Just got this game a few days ago, quite a good game; a lot of new features have been implemented in Gran Turismo 6 and it has been vastly improved when it's compared to it's predecessor. The damage models and sound effects might be a bit of a let down, but the cars look great and the UI has been vastly improved. I highly recommend it for anyone who's a fan of the Gran Turismo series and/or enjoys racing games.

2.0 out of 5 stars Why did they bother,GT5 was spot on!, 18 May 2014
Mr. Robert H. E. Hare (Nottingham ,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gran Turismo 6 (PS3) (Video Game)
The whole format is poor,you may have more premium cars but you are not in control of your own path, Logic GT wheel does not work fully,Polyphony why,why,why, (MONEY MONEY MONEY)??!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forza5 Eat your heart out!, 15 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Gran Turismo 6 (PS3) (Video Game)
Considering this game is 'old gen' it is in my eyes, better than Forza5 for the XB1. Simply due to the fact, the amount of cars and content build in the game. Long live Gran Turismo :) An improvement from GT5, the menus are better and the driving is slightly better, buy it!

3.0 out of 5 stars GT is now playing catch-up rather than leading the market, but it is an enjoyable game nonetheless., 30 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Gran Turismo 6 (PS3) (Video Game)
Gran Turismo 1 & 2 were the games which created my passion for racing and cars. Those two games were unrivalled in terms of the customisation which they offered when it came to tuning up and modifying your cars, and I think that's what made me fall in love with the game, along with the huge variety of events. These games were well beyond their time, and I could still play them and get enjoyment from them. Then came Gran Turismo 3, which was a complete disappointment in my eyes, and lacked several of the features which made the previous games fantastic.
Gran Turismo 4 reignited my love for the series. I loved buying the second hand cars and tuning them up, and there was a huge range of events that would keep you entertained for hours. Gran Turismo 5 failed to live up to the hype surrounding it, and really put me off the series - I changed to the dark side with the Xbox and Forza Motorsport 3&4, which were far superior games. Recently, my Xbox died, sending me back onto the PS3 for the time being. I was fortunate enough to receive Gran Turismo 6 as a gift, and after having a long play of it, I will now sum the game up the best that I can. There are several key elements to the game, which I will try to write about.

The Cars

Wow, 1,200 cars. That almost sounds too good to be true! Well, that's because it is too good to be true. We, the consumers, are lied to here - a majority of the "cars" advertised by Polyphony Digital are slight variants in the models. Which is great news if you're a Skyline fan, as in, enough of a skyline fan to fill your garage with the 70 skyline variants that the game offers. For the rest of us, though, it is a huge let down - I was expecting a wide range of cars, but was hugely disappointed at the selection on offer. There is only a handful of muscle cars in the game, and it is instead overloaded with MX5 clones. I mean, for a car that has stayed almost identical throughout its production life, they have crammed over 30 copies of it into the game. All in all, I'd say there are probably around 500 unique car models in the game, and I wouldn't be surprised if the true number was far less than this. Overall, the selection of cars was very disappointing.

My next point about the cars is that half of them look like they have been taken from Gran Turismo 2. Take the Supra for example - The modelling on it is shocking. Someone with minimal 3D modelling skills could make a better looking model in about two hours. There are sharp edges all over it, and well, it just looks kind of 2D. Furthermore, the interiors of around 75% of cars are just blacked out. The Supra is just one of the many models that are like this, and while there are "Premium" models which are modelled as they should be, interior and exterior, these are far and few between. To me, it just makes it seem like Polyphony Digital just couldn't be bothered, and rushed the cars to sell the game for a quick buck.

The customisation is also shoddy. You get a nice selection of wheels to choose from, and you can re-paint the car as long as you have previously bought a car with your desired paint colour, which means you have to buy a £400,000 Lamborghini if you want a nice matte black paint colour on any of your cars. On most cars, you get a selection of about 5 (terrible looking) spoilers to choose from, and that's it. Again, a very disappointing attempt, especially when you consider the level of customisation and the racing modifications in GT1&2, which seemed like they were making a comeback in GT5.

Racing

At first, the races in the game are quite enjoyable. You have a well balanced AI field which offer a decent level of challenge. The physics are spot on, and there is a great selection of tracks. My old favourite from GT1&2, Trial Mountain, looks fantastic. The tracks, unlike the cars, are spot on. The scenery can almost be breathtaking, and they just look brilliant. If I was being really picky, I would say that it needs a few more real life tracks in the game, but that's my only complaint.

Each race, for me, is the perfect length - just the right length to keep you interested and offer a challenge all the way through. I know that some people will be disappointed about the lack of endurance races, but I never really competed in those anyway so it doesn't effect me a great deal.

However, as you progress, you will begin to realize some problems in the game's races. The A.I does begin to be a tad unfair - they will be driving in the multi-million pound performance machines whilst you are still struggling to upgrade your car due to the ridiculously expensive upgrades and hard to come by credits. Hmm. It really seems like the developers want you to part with your real life money to buy in game credits...

The system of a rolling start in every single race gets a bit tedious. What's wrong with a grid start? You'll spend most of your race playing catch up to the first place car, who by the way, will be the only competitive driver on the field 95% of the time.

Not only this, but the AI seem to stick like glue to the racing line, like heartless, passionless, mistakeless, boring, predictable machines. They also play dirty - they will spin you out, which can be frustrating at the end of a race, yet if you bump into one of their cars, accidental or otherwise, they don't shift an inch, which is a tad unrealistic.

My final point is the damage. After playing Forza, it is really disappointing. Not only is it limited to cosmetic damage rather than having any impact on the performance of your car, but it looks terrible too. Again, it looks like yet another feature that they have rushed in order to lodge into the game.

Career Mode

The career mode does offer a nice range of events, and personally, I'm glad that the license tests are kept to a minimum with only five easy to pass tests per tier of events. While there are a few manufacturer specific events, though, there is still a disappointing lack in these events.

As previously mentioned, the game is designed to make you want to spend real money on the game to get more credits, and you'll find yourself repeating events quite regularly in order to save up for faster cars or tune your current car in order to compete in some of the races, and thus it can take you quite a long time to have enough money to buy a car that is competitive in each event so that you can finish the career mode.

Personally, I found the game and the races very enjoyable up to the 'National A' tier, which is the third tier of events, but the enjoyment tailed off slightly in the final 3 tiers due to the A.I becoming near impossible to beat unless you truly master the game and have the perfect car to drive in. It would be fantastic if they installed a difficulty level like Forza Motorsport does, but again, this is another area where the game disappoints.

What I do love, however, is the selection of karting events! For some reason, I just can't get enough of the karting races, and GT6 has quite a good selection of events, from lower powered karts on a tiny track, to full sized ones zooming around Silverstone, each one of the karting events is both challenging and fun.

Overall

From a critical point of view, the game is marketed on little white lies from the producers, I.e the number of cars, and the features which they have only half bothered to implement without developing them properly. It is sad, but Gran Turismo as a series seems to be fading away into the past. The cars in particular, for all the reasons mentioned previously, were the biggest let down about the game, and had the developers taken a bit more time and effort to model the cars and offer more customisation, this game would be fantastic.

I feel that the game is let down by some of the features that I have grown to love in previous games - I.e used cars, Racing modifications etc, that are completely missing from this one, and they are failing to keep up with the developments of rival series.

You will be reading my review, and it will probably have put you off buying the game. My advice: Buy the game anyway! Despite its flaws, it is still somewhat addictive and enjoyable. If it was not labelled a "Gran Turismo" Game, then it would be a very good and solid game. Just don't expect it to blow you away like GT1,2&4 did, because it really won't. It is a good game, but it just feels like it is behind its time a little, and now playing catch-up to other recent racing games, rather than being the market leader like it once was.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good game with major draw backs!, 3 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Gran Turismo 6 (PS3) (Video Game)
When you buy a gran turismo game as i and many others have done in the past you kind of know what to expect, an in depth simulation racer with huge array of cars and customisations as well as some famous tracks and races. If your buying this game soley for this purpose or just to race online with friends then this game is worthy of a higher rating as it serves this purpose very well as all previous GT's have. However having waited some 5 years for the latest installment i am extremely unimpressed to put it mildly. Yes they have increased the amount of cars you can buy, BUY being the operative word, and yes they have increased the amount of playable tracks and races but and this is a major but they have not taken the game any further forward and with the inclusion of micro transactions (the ability to purchase in game credits for real money) they have totally spoiled this game. For example unless you are planning to play exclusively online then like me GT has always been about grinding out the hardest races to win the best cars in this game that no longer happens as only very few cars are awarded as 'prize' cars through winning these races. The way they have set this game up now is that whatever level you are, whatever experience points you have you can buy the best cars from the start, if you have the money. Obviously this is a money making ploy by the makers and goes against all previous versions of the game. In GT5 for example you couldn't just buy a minolta at level 1 you hads to earn xp before you were eligible to buy it. They have also removed the B-spec races which although i wasn't a massive fan of atleast it added some extra playability and longevity again this for me would have been about winning the best prize cars. They have also removed the Used car garage which for me in all previous versions was one of the highlights. In GT5 the used car garage gave the ability to buy super rare cars (not available through winning races or new car dealership)that meant even some of the most hardcore GT players did not have some of the most rare cars given that some of the most rare were on 1000+ in game day cycles. This brings me to the online section which is very similair to GT5 with the annoying addition of for example having to manually turn off things like traction control, abs etc if the host has prohibited their use rather than, like in GT5, it being automatically turned off when you entered the race. Overall very disappointed and disallusioned theyve turned this into a money making excercise rather than just a great racing game which i'd hoped it would be given their track record.

‹ Previous | 1 2 340 | Next ›

Gran Turismo 6 (PS3)
Gran Turismo 6 (PS3) by Sony (PlayStation 3)