4.0 out of 5 stars Titanfall (PC) Review!
Titanfall is the most highly anticipated game to date as far as the next generation goes. There's been huge hype and Respawn Entertainment has promised a lot, So how does it fair and what do I make of it. First things first, Graphically Titanfall looks stunning, even better on PC than the Xbox One version which i also have.

For those of you that are unaware I...
Published 5 months ago by MrE

3.0 out of 5 stars "Believe the hype"(!)
Published 5 months ago by Ben

3.0 out of 5 stars "Believe the hype"(!), 16 Mar 2014
Ben "Tillekaratne" (West Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Titanfall (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I must confess: I hadn't done any research into Titanfall when I pre-ordered it. Some friends had talked about it, and I'd seen one gameplay trailer which looked pretty nice. Upon opening the packaging when the install discs (of which there are three) arrived, the back of the box had two quotes. One reads "A brave new vision of the future of multiplayer gaming." The second says "Believe the hype." Reading these, I think "well, I can't wait to get started then."

The install took a very long time. As many people have mentioned, the game requires nearly 50GB of storage space to be installed. After the whole process was finished, I booted up the game, watched the opening cutscene (which very briefly - and I mean VERY briefly - explains where the game is set and who is fighting), ran through the training session and started a "Campaign Mode" game.

It has been some years since I abandoned the Call of Duty franchise. I lost interest after Modern Warfare 2, then went on to enjoy a whole new breath of fresh air in the FPS genre from the Battlefield series. Call of Duty had been fun, but after a while the fast-paced games, the repetitive progression system and constant sense of obligation to unlock new customisations had become monotonous and boring. After my first game of Titanfall, I felt a lot of Call of Duty come flooding back.

Don't get me wrong, it is fun. The first game I played was a territorial control match, with three objectives to hold - the same "Domination" style game mode that features in almost any FPS game. The only twist I could notice was the constant radio chatter from some AI command unit announcing events in the game. An interesting way to get updates to the player perhaps? Maybe. I've seen plenty of games do similar things, so I didn't consider this to be much of a new feature. The UI also didn't appear to feature anything special. Just the standard minimap, ammo and ability cooldown timers.

The game flowed quite nicely. You'd run about at the same sort of pace as CoD, except for the ability to run up walls and jump twice. I killed a few players and bots, spawned a Titan, ran rampant in it for a while, then eventually our team lost the game. The "epilogue" kicked in, where we had 30 seconds to reach an evac chopper. This seemed like a newish feature I'd not seen before, but again it was nothing groundbreaking.

The class customisations seem to work exactly as I remember them in CoD. Primary and secondary weapon, perks, and a heavy weapon to throw into the mix. Later in the progression system I unlocked the "Burn Cards" which were gave a consumable bonus for a game. Each weapon could also have some limited customisation (exactly as most FPS games).

A part of me feels that three stars is being generous. And doubtless there will be many fans who would already stand by the game and shoot this review down as "a load of rubbish". Though I feel that my average rating is brought on by what the game promised to bring, which was some sort of FPS game revolution. Another quote on the box is that the game will "set the new bar for online multiplayer gaming." Well, to me CoD 4 set that bar years ago, and Titanfall is building on that same model that has proved successful time and time again in the past. Yes, the game allows you to call in a giant robot every five minutes, but Battlefield (for example) has loads of super-powerful vehicles that create a similar amount of destruction. Titans and wall running seem to be the only original content this game offers, and that really doesn't feel enough to claim that this is "the future of multiplayer games."

I'll keep playing the game for some time no doubt, but I don't expect my interest to be maintained indefinitely. If you're still a die-hard Call of Duty fan, you'll love it, but if you are genuinely looking for a groundbreaking new multiplayer experience, you may have to wait to see what games the future brings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Titanfall (PC) Review!, 24 Mar 2014
MrE (E Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Titanfall (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)

For those of you that are unaware I feel it necessary to point out what Titanfall is, it's a First Person Shooter and online multiplayer game and has no offline mode or single player functionality whatsoever so keep that in mind before purchase. Some have said it's like Call of Duty with Mech's (Titans) but once you play it you realise the action is so much more gripping and intense compared to Call of Duty and to be honest i think it would be wrong to compare the two despite several similarities. Now you can enter the Titans and directly control them or allow them to guard/follow you in automatic mode, so you don't have to be in your titan for it to operate. There are a few different game modes and 15 maps to begin with. Each match is limited to 12 players so 6v6 and in my honest opinion it works well especially when you have a few Titans on the map as any more and it would become crowded. Don't forget each player can have a Titan at the same time so potentially each map can have 12 players and 12 Titans plus the 12 bots on each team.

When you call in your Titan to drop at any location you choose, a force field immediately protects it from damage but also so it can't be stolen by another player which believe me is a good thing, without it I can tell you virtually every Titan that is called in would be stolen and part of the fun of giving everyone a chance in them would be lost. There is an automatic 4 minute countdown timer for each player after which you can call in your titan to drop but the timer can be reduced by killing other players and bots. There are three class of Titan; Atlas class which is the multi purpose Titan and the one you can use to begin with, Stryder class which is the fastest moving Titan and able to quickly move out of the line of fire and Ogre class which is an ultra-armoured Titan which is absolutely deadly especially when using the add-ons like the particle shield. Each type has a different "core" upgrade so the atlas can have more damage, and the Ogre can have a beefed up shield. The Stryder has a "dash" core upgrade for increased manoeuvrability.

When you're in the Titan you get to see the mini-map and the score at all times so you don't lose out on any info. The Titans weapons are deadly but also include releasing smoke and a vortex blocker which collect and fires bullets back at enemy Titans. The Titan naturally has a health bar and when it gets low you can eject which fires you up into the air and you can choose your landing spot either in safety or if you're lucky on an enemy Titan where you can remove some protective shielding and quickly shred the Titans health. You can also climb onto friendly titans and use them as cover. There are also numerous ziplines across many maps to which you can use to travel quickly from place to place but keep on your toes as enemy pilots may end up using them at the other way!

Speaking of "you", you play the part of a "pilot" and every pilot has a mini jetpack on the back which gives you a boost while jumping. It makes climbing through high windows and indeed onto roofs quite easy. Not just roofs, you can also walk on walls (temporarily for a few seconds) and then use your jetpack to stay in the air, it makes moving from one building to another easy, it also makes the game more challenging as you never know where enemy pilots are going to come from.

The Pilot weapons aren't as extensive like in a call of duty or battlefield game but the weapons that are available are varied enough and include standard weapons for shooting other pilots and weapons for taking Titans down while on foot, just like Call of Duty you can create personalized load outs which saves you messing around for each match. There is a Smart Pistol which enables you to lock onto an enemy and the bullets tracks to the target without you specifically aiming, I've only been playing the past few days but already it seems overused especially by campers. You also get things called "burn cards" which you unlock and can preselect up to 3 before each match, during the match you can chose to use one when you spawn the next time and they can be anything from reduce the waiting time for a Titan or more damage from primary weapons, once you die again that burn card terminates. Think of them as a single use perk to give you a boost but don't worry as you unlock plenty as you progress!

Among the many modes, there is "Last Titan Standing" where by everyone starts in a Titan and although you can get out of the Titan once it is destroyed that's it, you won't be getting another one, the team that has the last Titan standing on the map wins and believe me it forces people to work together rather than everyone going lone wolf. Hardpoint mode is where each team tries to hold 3 points on the map like domination, at the end of each match the losers have to try and evacuate on their drop ship by getting to it in time before it evacuates unless you've been killed while escaping. The winners get to place the final nail in the coffin by destroying the drop ship before it evacuates although that requires lots of co-operation and firepower! The third mode is Attrition which is essentially team deathmatch. The fourth mode is called "Pilot Hunter" where basically you get a point each time you kill an enemy Pilot which helps boost your teams score and certainly moves your attention away from Titans and onto Pilots (so best played for those that prefer ground warfare although the Titans and bots are still there but you don't get points for them) There is also a capture the flag mode.

So where's the catch you must be asking? Well there are a few, firstly you get AI controlled bots on the map which drop on the map with you as allies (and the same for the other team) which you can take out but half the time you can get confused between them and actual players, meaning half the time you get killed by a real player while your looking at these stupid bots (think of the dumbest bots you've ever come across and that's how they are). Now there are connection issues with servers disconnecting although considering the game has only just been released I suspect those problems will be sorted out pretty quickly.

Now some people have said that the environments should be destructible like in Battlefield, personally I think that would be a mistake as you do require cover from the Titans, on a plus side all the buildings have multiple ways in and out so campers beware, having said that all the campers I have seen so far tend to stay on the roofs!

Pros: Fantastic non stop competitive action * Graphics are far better on the PC version than console (yes i can say that as i have both) * jetpacks and ability to run on walls is awesome * using a Titan feels brutal against pilots and makes you feel epic * titan vs titan battles are well balanced * playing with friends takes this game to the next level * Some of the best Multiplayer maps I've seen in years with good variety * Pilot and Titan weapons are awesome * 6v6 player count works well when you factor in Titans and bots * Audio including the music is gorgeous * People who spend whole matches camping in Call of Duty won't last long in this!

Cons: Bots are stupid and only serve to boost XP and shorten the wait for your Titan * so called "multiplayer campaign" feels pointless (effectively it's multiplayer with set objectives and audio chit-chat to provide a background to the story), it feels like an afterthought to be honest * Smart pistol is already overused * Servers need to balance players out more i.e. you sometimes get a whole team of level 1's on one side and a bunch of level 30s on the other

VERDICT: The people at Respawn Entertainment were the original creators at Infinity Ward of the Modern Warfare series of games. After Modern Warfare 2 had been created they left due to a disagreement with Activision regarding the direction they wanted to take the series, so they went and created their own company (Respawn Entertainment) and Titanfall is the first fruit of their ideas. You can tell in more ways than one the links between this game and the original Modern Warfare games in the way it plays while on foot, with the map designs being spot on with a good combination of close quarters and long distance on each map and of course the ability to scale building at the same time. Titanfall is a great multiplayer experience and if you like first person shooters then this is a must for any gamer to get.

I'm not going to over paint the canvas and say it's the best game since sliced bread as without the titans in the game it's very similar to call of duty but with less features and fewer game modes, with the titans however, you have two battles going on; the one on foot between pilots and pilots and the other between titans and titans. When the two meet and you're stuck in the middle the action never gets dull to say the least. In a nutshell the more you play, the more you want to play and this PC version looks very impressive and runs smoothly. From one gamer to another I hope you enjoy this as much as I am!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good game, at the beginning, 25 July 2014
Dj Sherman (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Titanfall (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Good game, at the beginning.

The beta was extremely fun as not many people were high level or used to the combat mechanics or maps. Now, as all multiplayer games, people hack, cheat and spawn rape and is no fun.

Would get 5 stars if it had a good, solo, story driven campaign but it only has an AI multiplayer campaign which isn't great and didn't wow me at all.

Good game for a new developer but unless you like dying every 10 seconds or pwning the newbs then this ain't for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Day 1 Review, 14 Mar 2014
N. Cambell "Nickyboy" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Titanfall (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I bought the game on digital download from simplygamekeys, with a facebook like code for 27.99 (c'mon amazon). Usually I wouldn't bother with a download as I like to keep the boxes on the shelf, but Total War Rome 2 ruined that because why pay the extra for the box, when the game might be average and play it rarely.

I've played FPS games since the original quake competitively online, and I was surprised today to find how polished Titanfall is on launch (this week I have direct x crashes with battlefield 4, Google it, and when did that launch?), and what a fun time I've had today. and I'm not a fanboy, don't be critical where I'm coming from, I own a 780 ti, love my games, and really like FPS shooters, especially ones that add a different dimension to the game play.

Titanfall manages to do that in three ways.

1) The mechs, which are actually great. Starts just with lame machine guns, but after a 30 minute play of an average player you'll find yourself leveling up quickly (not sure if this is good right now) and unlocking other weapons quickly. I managed to level 5 it in 14 minutes of game time, hence my comment about the quick levels. For me I'd prefer if we were all high levels and we all had all the cool upgrades, it can only make the battle more epic.

2) The gameplay mode, "Last man Standing". I played for a while on a few of the modes, but, this one is great! You start in a mech (so different to BF4, Cod, etc), and when your mech dies you eject out and continue as an infantry aka a BF4 battle, against mechs with your RFGs. It is great, and the change in game play makes it very different to others on the market.

3) The double jumping!! You have a boost pack, which allows double jumping!! So whilst not quite the same as Saints Row, Crackdown and Infamous, does allow scaling of buildings and walls. So you really have to kick yourself when you are taking the stairs in a building. It has created more of a quick accessible vertical battlefield. Nice.

Obviously I have a gaming system, so please be aware high specifications are needed, and those 3 main features are why I believe I will get my moneys worth from Titanfall, because surely that's what it is about as a punter.

So, I do recommended. It has been fun all day, the mechs are completely different from anything but mechwarrior online, and the balance between mechs and infantry has actually encouraged me to hunt the mechs on foot, which I would be very strategic about doing on battlefield 4.

I give a 4 out of 5, as the online matchmaking is outdated (i.e Click game type and it matchmakers..... but I want to select gamemode, server settings and servers (to avoid 3 minute games))
The gun fighting is quite CoDish (minimal recoil, i guess it is the future)
but the introduction of the mechs, and weapons from mechs is a game changer.

I have held back the last star, as leveling is very quick, I had the direct x issues on install so had to download massive download (30gb), and the PC install weighs in at 40+ Gbs?

But, as stated I have a capable system, and have very much enjoyed my titanfall game-play today.

Day 5 and Final Update:

In short, the game has kept me entertained for a few hours most days since first posting the review above. I have some niggles with the weapons on the titans, as hitting pilots flying around with the rail-gun and swirling missiles is pretty tricky. I really enjoy the titan fights still, sticking together with team mate titans makes for some great online battles. The intro to multi-player battles through crashing or whatever is great, and the epilogue at the end of the battle still cool each time.

If after 5 days I'm still playing for me its a 5 star, but on day 3 I developed a "Titanfall has stopped working .dll" issue, and had to carry out some tasks to get it working again.

There are others if you search I did this and it fixed it:

Re-installed graphics drivers
Re-installed Direct x9
Re-installed direct x 11
windows update
sfc /scannow in command prompt and scanned and fixed dll's
Re-installed Titanfall.

That load of nonsense fixed the issue, and cost the final star on my review.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good... not great., 6 Jun 2014
This review is from: Titanfall (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
An excellent twitch-based shooter, with brilliant visuals and top-notch movement flow...

...and that's about it.

STORYLINE: Virtually non-existent. Recycled, generic near-future fearmongering... vomited at you in the form of non-interactive exposition dump which you won't be paying attention to anyway, because BIEBERKILLA2244 just opened up on you with an LMG.

STRATEGY: Not really. It's too frenetic for anything approaching "planning". There are some generic strategies which can be brought into play, but they're all gut-level twitch axioms: "back to a wall", "clear with grenades", "don't hang about", "move in groups", etc.

VARIETY: A reasonable number of different game modes (five), but they're all variations on either "go here, then go here, then go here" or "shoot every enemy you see". Get pretty samey after the first few levels. Eventually I just went for the generic "Attrition" setting; seemingly a common solution to the problem, as I was getting games about twice as fast as in any other mode!

WEAPONS: A decent selection at first glance, but it narrows a bit once you realise that, due to the game's run-and-gun playstyle, most of them are next to worthless. I personally have logged over 100 hours on the game thus far, and the vast majority of my play (and my opponents' and teammates' play) seems to have been with three weapons: the Carbine (default weapon), Shotgun (unlocked at level 2) and Compact SMG (unlocked at level 5). This is a general observation... there were players utilising other weapons, but for every player using something else, there were 1 or 2 using these basic weapons.

TITANS: Both the blessing and the curse of this game. Titan combat is INTENSE and ridiculously fun. However, most of the time it comes in very short bursts. Unless you hit that magic moment where you are outclassing the enemy both on foot and in Titans, your experience in the big robot suit is going to be short and possibly frustrating.

BALANCE: Horrible. Even with the "patch" which supposely streamlined matchmaking so that you're always in a group with people of "like skill level". I am a reasonably skilled shooter player... I'd say somewhere right in the middle of the skills table. But with the "matchmaking" system of Titanfall, I frequently (eg. every other match) ended up in a group composed of level 10-50 super-elites (frequently in clan chats) and rank 0-X new players. Needless to say, the kills table generally reflected this disparity.

WAIT TIMES: Silly long. And I'm not talking about load times. I'm talking about the between-match lobby times. After finishing a match, you have 90 seconds to wait for the next to start. A little long, but not THAT bad. But then, someone drops the game. And the timer restarts. Then someone else drops. Another restart. Then, A new player joins and the Matchmaking decides that the skill level has shifted. So the opposing team is dropped. Server spends 20 seconds finding you a new opposing team. Then the 90 second timer starts again. Once the system is happy that everyone is in and balanced, THEN the load screen starts up. And it's even quite long by modern standards. Then once the match starts, you have the 8-second drop sequence to play out. By the time you get into your 10-15 minute match, you've frequently already waited 5-10 minutes to get there. It got so bad on some days that I would punch out of the lobby every time a match ended and join a new session, just because it was quicker than waiting for the game to do it automatically.

REPLAY VALUE: Once you've played up to level 50 in the first Tier, there's really nothing more to do or see. Sure, you can regenerate and start over again, but all you're doing is adding tedium (by requiring Challenges to advance). You can usually hit level 50 in 5-10 hours.

PARKOUR: Wow. Just... wow. Guys, why didn't you lead with this? Forget Titans, or burn cards, or AI creeps. The pure joy of motion in this game is something I thought would never see in an FPS game. For me, this was worth the price of admission. I wish that it had come without all the baggage that I didn't enjoy (and that it had been utilised to better effect by my fellow players), but even so, it was one of the few things in the game that I felt was truly innovative and it is, honestly, what kept me going through 100 hours of play.

THE TL;DR VERDICT:
Titanfall is a great concept. The engine is solid, the movement dynamics are fun, and the combat is satisfying. It's the infrastructure and world-building which are sorely lacking. This one needed another few months in the oven, I think. Well worth the purchase price, if you like twitch-based multiplayer and aren't bothered about immersion... and if you're not bothered about new and unique unlocks. If you're more into story, setting, or Battlefield/COD levels of customisation or variety, I'd say give this one a miss.

Your Mileage May Vary.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game but needs DLC's, 13 April 2014
This review is from: Titanfall (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Titanfall certainly hasn't dissapointed from the gameplay and excitement we got last year at E3. However what I didn't expect was to become so bored so quickly. Here are some quick pros and cons:

Pros
- Graphics requirements are quite generous and run easily on my fairly low end gaming PC.
- Multiplayer is similar to call of duty with classes, levels etc.
- Titans are simply awesome!
- Both campaign and standard modes are good fun, especially with friends.
- Servers are generally quite good, little downtime despite the initial issues.

Cons
- Can get boring quickly if you have no friends who play it.
- Needs more maps, they can get repetitive.
- Little choice of weapons compared to other FPS'S.
- Multiplayer only really screws you over, an awesome singleplayer campaign is entirely possible.

Conclusion
Titanfall is a game with superb gameplay, that makes you feel like a bad ass jumping from roof to roof. However, DLC's are badly needed with more maps and guns. It might be worth waiting for those before you buy.

7/10

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning: this is an online only game with no single player option, 1 Aug 2014
This review is from: Titanfall (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Warning: this is an online only game with no single player option - which is not made clear in the product description. This only became apparent after loading the game (which takes 50GB). I would not have bought this game if the description had been it clear on this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun for a while., 18 Mar 2014
This review is from: Titanfall (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Despite the average gfx its seems fun and fluid at first ( no xbone like frame drops on pc at least ) but soon the severe lack of content, dull weapons which could be in any recent shooter (apart from the smart pistol) and moronic AI (wow the cloud can produce AI almost as good as in some 8-bit games lol) left me utterly bored. I also soon realized that piloting the titans was far more dull than driving vehicles in games like halo and battlefield and soon just left it on auto.
Lack of anti-cheat, last gen lobby and matchmaking also don't help.
Hopefully patches and free ( not holding my breath for this ) content being added could redeem it somewhat.:)

1.0 out of 5 stars wont play or conect to server, 21 July 2014
This review is from: Titanfall (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
it wont connect to the internet,ie west Europe it just keeps going from 1 too 10 tries can you help as I cant play it

3.0 out of 5 stars Wait for Titanfall 2, 26 Aug 2014
A. MALIK (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Titanfall (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
This game is super fast paced and feels different from modern military shooters like COD and BF. But the game is quite shallow and if you prefer infantry combat once titans hit the field maybe 5 minutes into a match it really dips in enjoyment. Eaach game round also feels exactly the same. The biggest issue buying this game on PC is actually getting into a match some times since the number of players on-line at any point is low.

Titanfall (PC DVD)
Titanfall (PC DVD) by Electronic Arts (Windows 7 / 8 / Vista)
26.08