5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Published 13 months ago by Daniel

3.0 out of 5 stars The most boring Assassin's Creed Game Yet
I played all the previous Assassin's Creed games and this is the most boring one because from the first 3 hours played, only 15 minutes were spent in real fun missions. The rest were cinematics, learning to play the game and running/walking to get your mission. You can skip over cinematics but since it was the first time playing the game I watched them.

It...
Published 15 months ago by Dan Ionescu

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 2 Aug 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Assassin's Creed 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
I had played all the other assassins creed games and since they had changed the mechanics of this game i was worrying if it would still be good, and i have to say that it was much better. First of all, the controls are much easier to use, and more basic than the other games. The single player mode is fantastic, and you have a choice of taking down the templars, running through the giant forests and through the trees to hunt, or even go on naval missions. The multiplayer is like a full game in its self, there are many characters you can play as and can change their hair, clothing, weapons and even war paint. There are around 8 online game modes, including the new mode wolfpack. You can customize ability sets to help you win game sessions, and work your way through abstergo ranks to become number 1. All in all, this is a great game, and if you want a simple to follow game with a good story mode as well as multiplayer, i definately reccomend you buy this.

3.0 out of 5 stars The most boring Assassin's Creed Game Yet, 25 Jun 2013
This review is from: Assassin's Creed 3 (PS3) (Video Game)

It takes a lot of time for the real action to start but when it does the game becomes fun and exciting.

You will be playing as an Native American assassin and you will have plenty on new weapons.

Pros:
- spectacular, more brutal fights
- lots of new, fun weapons
- good graphics
- you can skip over cinematics
- good quality cinematics
- captivating story
- finally your character knows how to avoid pedestrians

Cons:
- the first hours of play are boring; more cinematics based than action
- no more tips on how to perform an action which is annoying because there are new actions introduced and thing are very simple if you know what to do; if you don't you will lose a lot of time for a simple task
- a lot of walking/running around to get to your next mission

Overall it is fun to play, but in many moments it feels more like Red Dead Redemption than an Assassin's Creed game.

3.0 out of 5 stars "how d'ya like them apples!", 17 Dec 2013
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This is the 5th AC game.

You start off in good old England, or London to be precise, as Haytham Kenway and you are to attend a theatre play called the Beggar's Opera (which is a political comedy) in order to assassinate a friend.

You will play as this character for 3 full chapters and they can be some of the most soul destroying, will draining, slow chapters ... and yet they are in a way better than what follows. At the end of the first run though of chapter 3 you will get a trophy and you will understand the title of this review.

When you hit chapter 4 you finally meet Connor - first as a child, then in his teens, and then his twenties (though he does not age well - I thought he'd jumped to 40-something but everyone still refers to him as "boy").

From then on you have to put up with Connor, and Connor makes Desmond look like the most interesting character you've met - until you remember Ezio and then wonder why they couldn't have given Connor a personality. Connor has no emotionality to him at all (most of the time he comes over quite sulky) - whether that was deliberate or just bad voice acting by Noah Watts. Every line is delivered as if the actor was bored. I really did miss Roger Craig Smith's talent.

With animation of any sort you need the characterisation to come through the voice acting in order to make a connection with the characters, and in this case it failed for me.

I love the Assassin's Creed games and I was really looking forward to this one - it was one of the few games of 2012 that I bothered to pre-order - and yet ...

The game is definitely cut scene heavy, in fact the multiple load points and cut scenes in each mission become invasive and irritating breaking the run of the game over and over again.

Ubisoft made such a big fuss about the fact that they were using a new gaming engine and all the wonderful new things that will be available to the player of the Assassin's Creed III game that my hopes were built all. Unfortunately, it did not live up to my expectations. To be truthful I was quite disappointed by the resulting gameplay. Much of it seemed to be taking steps backwards to the play of the original Assassin's Creed game - such as having to run across country to one of the city destinations (from the Homestead to Boston or New York) - this was something which I thought I had been removed with the advent of quick travel stations.

Even running around the towns is a boring thing. Surely Boston and New York couldn't have been such boring places. Yes, you can run along the tops of buildings and from branch to branch but only for a very short distance and then you will find yourself on the ground again.

There are a couple of houses that you can run through but once entered you have no control over the actions of your avatar, you are simply on a set move predesigned to make the trailer look good, but it really adds nothing to the game play and I discovered a bug on exiting the room run through when I wanted the avatar to in one direction and he will go the opposite.

I loved collecting my "brotherhood" in ACB - picking and choosing who I wanted. This choice was reduced in ACR when a lot of choice was removed. Here there is no choice you have to have the characters that the game provides and you have to complete their individual (and multiple) demands in order to get them to join you.

Assassin's Creed has been synonymous with freedom of choice in game play and that aspect which made the game play so great is now being removed - or at least that's what it feels like.

Many of the side missions (races, etc) have gone completely and I did like those because they provided a break from the story game play. Instead we have "find the feather/page/trinket" tasks and sailing ship battles to contend with. The sea battles can be annoying and fun at the same time. With some of the requirements for full points being lost in the first moments of the battle it will require a restart to get full synchronisation.

Restarts aren't too bad in AC3 as they don't send you right back to the beginning if you "fail" towards the end of your mission. You will only go back to the last save point.

Synchronisation can be an issue if you miss the requirements message. In previous games if you pressed "start" you would be able to see any extra requirements for full synchronisation - in this game I have yet to find such a screen but if you pause and then resume the game they are sometimes flashed on the screen again.

The use of "eagle vision" seems to be falling by the wayside - it is hardly used and even when it is used it seems to be a second or third thought by the makers and in most cases doesn't need to be used.

There is an additional option of hunting animals for food, pelts, teeth, oils, etc, and though it is a way of passing the time when you are bored of running though the countryside and there are monetary and points rewards it can also become boring after a time. You can only carry 10 units of "bait" and this can be quickly used up so you will have to visit a shop or travelling merchant to restock - and getting there requires you to run/ride across the countryside and breaking up that monotonous cross country travelling was a reason that I decided to stop and hunt in the first place.

Rather than the DNA strand that the previous games worked on here you have a half-ring of information.

One thing I have to question is the makers decision to call the character "Connor" - don't get me wrong I like the name it's just when he is "given" the name by Achilles it is because he can pass for a Spaniard and I can't see "Connor" as a Spanish name in the 1770s.

The changes to fighting make things interesting, as do the new hiding places and I do like to be able to sneak around in the tall weeds (though I did wonder how the guards could miss me) and, yes, the hunting was a fun break for a while. The story continues well and comes to a cliff-hanger end. Even Desmond is more interesting (but that could be because Connor is so dull).

Yet, sadly, this is my least played game in the AC series.

I have, in the last 12 months since this was launched played AC2, ACB and ACR, in succession several times, but it is only in the last month that I have played this one again - and that will make the 3rd time since it arrived that I have played it.

The game play isn't as intuitive as with the other games but it is easy to get used to and the game was enjoyable but it is the character of Connor that seems to pull the so much of the life from the game. I'm just glad that AC Black Flag is better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, 22 Mar 2014
This review is from: Assassin's Creed 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
Just finished main story of this game. It was one of rare game stories that that didnt left me in peace until i finished it. Always wanted to play. Ingame world was awesome - great graphics, a lot of realistic looking objects, good animations for people and animals and also great interactions with them, if there was interaction options.

Fighting mechanism is simple and a little intuitive. I liked that you can combine your primary weapons with your own secondary weapons and use each one whenewer you want. Each weapon type has something unique in killing. Also twice as much fighting animations as in previous games together.

Naval battle quests is something unique in this game. These battles were made good enought to enjoy, but takes a little time and are not that easy as other quests. Gets you to a little strategical thinking. At least for me.

But if it would be possible i would give 4 and a half star because this game has a lot of gliches. This game has so many of anything, so its would be only natural for few glitches. But there is a lot of them. One good thing that you can restart misions from last checkpoints, not entire mision as in previous ones, so for me that wasnt a big problem. If something gone wrong, just restart the mision. But still glitches is worth mentioning. They get more when you get to at least of 15% of game story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Assassins creed three, 12 Mar 2014
This review is from: Assassin's Creed 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent game, but more in the style of The Call of Juarez. I preferred AC 1&2, as the characters and time period interested me more.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough action, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: Assassin's Creed 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
Liked previous games but this one much less. Yet again too many slow, " following" parts - walking along at snail' space to get somewhere. Many glitches too. Naval missions were good. Fighting abilities didn't seem to improve much unlike previous games. Weapons seemed few also. Biggest gripe with all AC games, but especially with this one, is the cutscenes. Far,far too many & too long. I seemed to be watching game more than playing it! If they wanted to make a movie then make a movie don't spoil a good action game. Bit put off getting Black Flag after this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing game, 23 Dec 2013
This review is from: Assassin's Creed 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
Great sequel to number 2. Still working my way through the series. Highly addictive and fun too play. Would recommend to anyone

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a fan, 13 Dec 2013
N. Cole "Red" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Assassin's Creed 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
I'm not sure if I've done this wrong, but I've played the game for roughly 5-6 hours and I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing?! The fighting is plenty, but I just keep getting beaten. I don't recall any specific combat training, and the game play is different to the previous AC games, so I'm just not getting it right.

Also, I keep picking up pages, rescuing recruits and attacking forts - but have no idea why, and what the benefit is. e.g. Whilst attacking my latest fort, I came across a flagpole, which I interacted with to put up another flag. After that the red coats were changed with blue coats, but since both parties seem to want to kill me, is there any point?

Think I'll go back to playing AC2...

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow, 22 Aug 2013
This review is from: Assassin's Creed 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
Thsi game is not what I expected. The plot seems very slow without much excitment. I have been playing this for a number of hours and just got bored. I have played previous Assassins Creed games and enjoyed them and completed them. I just hope Black Flag will be better and back to how it was!

2.0 out of 5 stars Beta Version, 29 Jun 2013
This review is from: Assassin's Creed 3 (PS3) (Video Game)
What I loved about the prior games was the feeling of the cities, the epic centres of history, Rome, Constantinople.
Being in a forest was a total letdown, but I warmed to it, I began to enjoy it. But.... the bugs, oh, the bugs.
Rifles left stuck in midair, diving in to a pool only to end up trapped under the land in a grey void, incognito in pile of branches but unable to leave, unable to pass over small shrubs.
People dropping from the sky is amusing, but I've ran in to horses pulling an invisible cart that stopped my progress, appeared near me as wreckage then formed in to covered wagon.
If they'd finished the game before releasing it, I would have been much happier(As would my battered controller)

Assassin's Creed 3 (PS3)
Assassin's Creed 3 (PS3) by Ubisoft (PlayStation 3)