5.0 out of 5 stars A Mystery with Heart
Published on 14 Mar. 2006 by Carole Chapman

1.0 out of 5 stars Off course
By some way the weakest Pigeon novel. Frenetic badly paced action and unpleasant subject matter unrealistically tackled. If subjects such as this are to be tackled it has to be sensitivity and insight. Both were lacking. The result was a dark, unsatisfying mish mash. Not a pleasant read. Not a stimulating read. Not an entertaining read.
Published 12 months ago by shelducky

5.0 out of 5 stars A Mystery with Heart, 14 Mar. 2006
In Hard Truth, Anna Pigeon tackles the cold-blooded evil of a psychopathic mind, both of a serial killer and also of a sexual abuser. At the same time, she battles her own challenges, foisted into a demanding role as the new district ranger in Colorado, away from her home base in Mississippi and her three-day-old marriage to the loving and supportive Sheriff and Pastor Paul Davidson. Can she maintain respect, manage loneliness, and figure out what’s going on in the face of a confusing set of bizarre circumstances?
This one started slow for me. I guess I need to have the intrepid Anna Pigeon, Park Ranger Extraordinaire, in the story as soon as possible. That way, I can vicariously live a dramatic life of adventure through her. However, in this story, she took a while arriving. I needed to know how things were going with her: her work, her pets . . . her love life.
However, this Anna Pigeon mystery turned out to be a dynamite story. And, of all the books in this series, probably it is the one with the most heart. By the end of the novel, I was cheering for all the women who had been transformed through facing the hard truth in their lives. I also appreciated learning about how abusers captivate and control their victims.
This story also showed much more of Anna’s tender-hearted side, probably because she was juxtaposed against such evil. In addition, as the story unfolded, I began to sympathize with the secondary heroine in the story, much more than I expected, until, by the end, I felt so grateful that she had resolved her difficult issues. I felt encouraged as she found her own power.
The twist near the end really surprised me. I had no idea who the perpetrator of the crimes could be. Usually, I’m making intelligent guesses, one of which turns out to be the right one. In Hard Truth, the real murderer wasn’t even on my list.
Of all the Nevada Barr mysteries, this one was the most difficult to stay with because of its very difficult subject matter. However, I found it, in the end, to be worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard Truth, 10 Jan. 2013
Clare O'Beara - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Anna Pigeon is a National Park ranger who travels around the States showing us different parks. In this one she is in Colorado in the Rockies, a newlywed and a new District Ranger posting. However evil is to be found everywhere and a religious retreat has three children go missing. Two reappear some time later but Anna does not get a lot of co-operation in investigating. The third girl is still gone. I did guess the identity of the villain of the piece but his full evil was not apparent until the end.
The environment is well described and a major part of the book, with mountain roads, campgrounds, forests and lonely cabins. Kind of place you don't want to get lost on your own...
This is not my favourite of the series but I did find it well written as always.

1.0 out of 5 stars Off course, 6 May 2014
This review is from: Hard Truth (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard truth, 21 Jan. 2014
Katie M "Katie Murphy" (Pembrokeshire Wales UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hard Truth (Kindle Edition)
Each new Nevada Barr's' book I read just keep getting better and more fascinating . I've read way into the night!

Hard Truth