5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection!
Published 8 months ago by Jennifer Cooke

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
Again perfectly readable, whiles away a few hours! Still not as good as other YA stuff though. Probably a rung below Divergent books.
Published 1 month ago by miss sarah lawton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection!, 4 Dec 2013
I will admit that I went into this book with very high hopes. I bought Shadow and Bone when out on a shopping spree with my mother. After begging her to buy it for me (since I'm a poor student and all) I will admit I felt guilty. I had seen this book a million times on my Goodreads to-read shelf and never really felt that drawn to it. I bought it on that day simply for the sake of buying a book. I went home and thought I may as well start reading it straight away. I finished it in one sitting in two and a half hours. I wanted Siege and Storm immediately!! So, impatient as ever, I bought it for my kindle app on my iPad. I couldn't even wait until the next day to buy the paperback. I finished Siege and Storm within a few hours and went onto Goodreads to find out what the next book was called. I found out what it was called, Ruin and Rising, but I was in for quite a shock. Siege and Storm had only been out for a week or so and I had to wait another year for the next book! Oh the horror of that moment! I have seriously been rejoicing and despairing equally over my choice to impulse-buy Shadow and Bone that faithful day. While I may have had the unbelievable experience of entering Leigh Bardugo's world and meeting her characters, I now have one of the worst waits I have ever experienced for a book.

Each of the character's will tug on your heartstrings, make you fall in love with them (Ahem, the Darkling) or, in some cases, both. Some characters you love to hate, others are fabulously lovable and all of them realistically imperfect, especially in the choices they make. Each character has to make a choice in this novel: Alina or the Darkling. There are no evil characters in this (excepting of course the Darkling who has to be redeemed in the last novel. Right? Right?!?!), only characters that have to make a tough decision and are making the best of the situation at hand. Those who you would believe would be on one side are quite commonly on the other. The characters decisions are explainable and believable. They are fully fleshed out characters with their own reasoning.

My favourite character is of course Alina. She is one of the best heroines I have ever read about and she is such a strong female character. But that is another of this series' strong points: strong female characters. Not one of the females in this story is an archetype of femininity. Each of the characters may start out as such, the bitchy popular girl, the uncommon beauty, the tomboy. But their true characters are shown throughout the course of this series. Alina, the tomboy, is such a pillar of strength in this novel. She takes over as leader of the Grisha in the Darkling's absence and does a remarkable job for a relatively new member of the Grisha. As much as I adore the Darkling, Alina is what makes this series what it is. She is the rare character that can truly hold a series on her own, regardless of the many romances and political struggles around her.

As you have probably surmised I am firmly in the Darkling camp when it comes to Alinas heart. I truly believe that Leigh Bardugo will redeem him in the final book and explain his actions satisfactorily. He is such a complex character, and though he struggles to gain control over Alinas power I truly believe he cares for her. If Darklina is not a possibility then I would choose Nikolai as my second favourite. I love how brash and confident he is and how he truly cares about the welfare of his people. I will admit that I also loved his and Alinas chemistry.

Under no circumstances should she end up with Mal! For some inexplicable reason I could never take to Mal. Perhaps it is because he is a part of Alinas past while I wish her to strive toward her future as a leader. Or perhaps it is because he took so long to proclaim his feelings towards her. I mean come on; they've been friends since they were kids and he waits until she has a million and one other problems before telling her? I mean, really? I would rather she end up alone, an independent leader of the Grisha than live happily ever after with Mal.

I really and truly love this series and the characters in it. The plot is sublime and you are left wanting more after every page read. I haven't felt this eager to read an unpublished book in a series since I waited for each Harry Potter book to be published. If you haven't been lucky enough to read this series and think I am over exaggerating then don't take my word for it. Go to your nearest library or bookstore and get a copy of Shadow and Bone and experience what the fandom is experiencing. I promise you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing series!, 27 July 2014
I’m very late to this Grisha trilogy, but there’s something good about that… I don’t have to wait for the final instalment because it’s out NOW! I can’t pinpoint exactly why I love Leigh Bardugo’s writing so much. It’s just magical really. It pulls you in and completely engrosses you in what you’re reading. Siege and Storm is just as good as Shadow and Bone. It’s fast paced, introduces some exciting new characters that play a massive role in the story.

Siege and Storm begins not long after Shadow and Bone finishes. Alina and Mal are sailing across The True Sea to try and escape the Darkling. Alina is being hunted by the Darkling’s army and of course, it doesn’t take long for trouble to arise. Alina gets some help from the Captain Sturmhond. It doesn’t take long for the Darkling to find Alina. The Darkling unveils a new monster that only he can summon. Alina finds out that she is the only one that can stop the Darkling.

Alina is a fantastic character. I can’t believe how much she’s developed since Shadow and Bone. She’s so realistic. Alina is really tested in Siege and Storm. She has to come to terms with the extent of her power and also the knowledge that a lot of people are now relying on her. This puts huge amounts of pressure on her and begins to put strain on her relationships. I loved how she had this struggle with her power. Alina finds her power addictive. It worries her because she knew how much power changed the Darkling, but she was aware that she needed to control her power and use it wisely.

Now to the males in the books…I find Mal such an irritating character at times. His love for Alina is so obvious, yet he seems to act like a total idiot around her. There’s always that possibility that Alina and Mal will get together, but if she does…I’m really not sure what she sees in him, except perhaps a link to her childhood. The Darkling is such an amazing character. He’s so mysterious, I’m not sure what I make of him, or how his story is going to develop, but I can’t WAIT to find out. I think he’s slightly weaker in mind and spirit in Siege and Storm, despite the new power he has. The new power seems to be weakening him, but he’s addicted to using it, not realising that it his draining him completely. Sturmhond is a new addition to the plot, but a very welcome and interesting addiction. I don’t want to say too much about him because I don’t want to spoil the story, but it definitely gives the trilogy a bit of a shake up!

Leigh Bardugo is a fantastic writer. With Siege and Storm she cements how good a writer she is. All too often in middle books in a trilogy it doesn’t match the debut, this isn’t the case with Siege and Storm. It’s just as good, if not better than the debut. I am so excited about Ruin and Rising. I can’t wait to see where Leigh takes this story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Siege and Storm, 20 July 2014
Kat (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
To everyone who told me I would love Sturmhond, I state unequivocally 'YOU WERE RIGHT'.

Now that the formalities are out of the way, I have to say that I am even more in love with this series after Siege and Storm than I was after Shadow and Bone - which I thought was pretty much impossible. Bardugo just proved me completely wrong.

The biggest drawcard for me in this series is the writing. It's magical, visual and just completely sucks me in. As with Shadow and Bone, I read Siege and Storm in a day because I just could not put it down. It's a huge testament to this series' success that readers push this book relentlessly, and for readers like me, it's the writing that keeps me coming back once the initial peer pressure wears off. Bardugo for the auto-buy!

The world building in Siege and Storm is just as genius as in Shadow and Bone - the imagery is fantastic and the feeling of darkness and tension just seeps through the pages. Despite the fact that fantasy isn't my cup of tea, I can completely buy into the world that Bardugo has created - with more than a splash of Russian it feels so well-rounded.

OK let's get to Sturmhond in a little more detail. My opinion? Just throw away all the other male characters in the book, and keep Sturmhond. That is all.

To be fair, I feel kinda sorry for Mal though. He's like the puppy dog that no one wants - and he is kinda sweet in his own way. However the Darkling holds absolutely NO appeal to me at all and just gives me the jeebies.

I'll keep this short and sweet - I think you've probably gotten the hint on how much I loved Siege and Storm and now, onto Ruin and Rising!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Enthralling Sequel, 4 July 2013
Last year when I read Shadow and Bone I was so eager and excited to see what would happen in the sequel. I requested a proof copy of Siege and Storm and received a special ARC that had one of my quotes in it. I read it straight away and it was just as amazing as the first. It was fast paced and introduced us to many new characters that would go on to play a big role in the novel, while also bringing back past characters and showing us how they have developed after the devastating events on the shadow fold. I loved the development of characters in this book and the change of the theme which just aided with the progress of the plot, and kept the novel as a whole, fast paced with the reader continuously engaged.

Siege and Storm begins with Alina and Mal sailing across the True Sea in an attempt to escape the Darkling. When they reach land they try and remain hidden while they earn some money to continue their journey. Alina is being hunted by the Darkling's army and it isn't long until trouble arises. With the help of captain Sturmhond, she sets sail again. But it isn't long until the Darkling finds Alina and a reunion reveals some horrifying things. The Darkling has managed to create a new type of monster, one that only he can summon. With this new revelation, it really hits Alina that she is the only one who can stop him; after all she may have been the cause of this new power.

One of my favourite things about this novel was Alina's character growth and development. I don't think I have ever felt closer to a character throughout the course of a novel as I did with this. From the first novel we knew that Alina was a very strong character and one who wasn't afraid to break a few rules now and again, while she also had an intelligent mind and would use this wisely. In Siege and Storm Alina is still as realistic as ever but now she is put through some internal conflict. We see her struggle with the extent and weight of her power and the realisation that people now see her as a god. This puts a lot of pressure on her and strains many of her relationships with others. Alina is forced to change so quickly in a short amount of time. At the beginning of Shadow and Bone she was a map maker, now she is the Sun Summoner and people are following her as if she is a god and their only salvation. That has to be both physically and mentally draining and we see how Alina copes with it all in Siege and Storm. She begins to develop her power in the hope to save her people but this only adds fear to her mind, as she find this power addictive and she knows the line between the light and shadows is very thin and she could easily fall. Sometimes it seems the best option would be for her to fall across this line and let things finish easily, but she knows that this isn't the right option and she will rise to conquer the darkling. She knows how the power has changed the darkling and therefore she is scared to use her power so much in fright that she may also fall from grace. Throughout the course of the novel we see her come to terms with how people are now following her and how with their help and uniting everyone there may be a chance to win. She still struggles with her power but we see her trying and adapting to using it in the right way. The development is amazing and so realistically done, Alina gets so confused with things that it becomes a strain she knows she must fight and conquer.

Now onto Mal and the Darkling. Mal first then, well I have to be honest I was not a Mal fan girl in Shadow and Bone and after reading Siege and Storm my dislike for him has grown so much. I just don't like the way he disrespects Alina all the damn time, and when she says no to him he goes and drowns himself in drink and fights. To me that does not show a strong man, instead it shows a pain in the ass who isn't worth Alina's time. Both of them have changed from when they were in the orphanage and I think it's time that they both move on. There isn't a place for Mal in Alina's new life, he knows it and she knows it but they just haven't acted upon it yet.

Now the Darkling, I love him and his darkly seductive ways. He is still power hungry but we see that the events on the Shadow fold have had an effect on him and also the rest of the Grisha. His hold on them has been slightly impacted. In Siege and Storm we see him more vulnerable, he is slightly weaker due to the events of the Shadow Fold but this has left him with a new power that is greater than what he had before and even more terrifying. The thing is this new power drains on him and is not to be used too often. But as the Darkling is addicted to power he does not see the extent of weakness that has begun to show due to overusing this new power.

I'm just going to talk a little about Sturmhond but not too much as I want you all to discover him and his secrets yourselves when you read the novel. All I have to say is that he is a great addition to the cast of characters and one that will leave an impression on the reader. Let's just say that an alliance with him would give Alina even more power.

The main part of this book is of course about Alina coming to terms with her power while the threat of the Darkling looms closer but what I also loved was the sub plot of the amplifiers and how they tie in to Alina's story. I honestly did not see this new connection and addition coming, I love the mystery and enchantment that comes with the tales of the amplifiers and I cannot wait to see what Bardugo does in the final book with them all. Also I loved the Ice Dragon, it's a shame there wasn't more focus and time spent on this but never mind I'm still a very happy reader and I am eager to see what happens next.

And with the plot there comes the development of the themes throughout the trilogy. Many trilogies get caught up and jump from themes without a smooth passage between but in the Grisha series it has been done so perfectly, that I can't help but admire the talent Leigh Bardugo has and how effectively she uses it. In Shadow and Bone we were introduced to the enchanting and epic world of the Grisha and some of its backstory. In Siege and Storm the main focus seems to be the growth of Alina's power and how it has had an effect on the whole of Ravka and its people. From the ending of Siege and Storm we can see that the theme will need to change again due to the final events of the novel. I have every faith that it will flow and work just as well as the previous two novels.

Ooh and the ending of the novel made me literally full of emotions, my heart was pounding and I was so excited but also curious to see what the hell would happen! All I will say is Alina you go girl! And also to the Darkling, I will hug you and comfort you! I won't say any more but the rest of the ending, oh my god, shows we still have a lot to come in Alina's story and I am so eager and excited to read it.

Well there you go, Leigh Bardugo, you sure know how to involve your readers and make them an emotional wreck. Siege and Storm is an enthralling sequel that seriously ups the game and expectations of the reader. It is written so beautifully that is flows flawlessly while keeping the magic alive in the readers mind. If you want to read a fantasy series that has a truly unique world then read this series. If you loved the first book then there is no doubt that Siege and Storm will reignite the magic that you found before while also leaving you crying out for the final instalment of the Grisha series. I loved everything about this novel, the strength of Alina and her development, the world building that is still superb, the progress and twists in the plot that will keep the reader enchanted and of course the Darkling who is still waiting for you. Don't make him wait any longer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: Siege and Storm (The Grisha Triology Book 2) (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Devine, 21 Jun 2014
Superb from start to finish, couldn't put it down and can't wait to start the next one. Don't want it to end!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first book, 9 May 2014
Whilst reading the first Grisha book in the trilogy I came to a point where I was unhappy with the way the story was going. I didn't want to read the second book as I believed that it would be slow, without much action and a developing romance between Mal and Alina that I did not approve off. Desciding to give the second Grisha book a chance was a great decision. The story has action and new characters and plenty of tention between Mal and Alina to shake their friendship/romance. I can't say more without spoiling it for those of you who have not yet read it. But it only took me one day to finish the book. I cannot wait for la grande finale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to read while unable to text or call home, 25 Mar 2014
L. R. Mepsted (Rochester, Kent) - See all my reviews
am gettig texts from you all but have no credit. cannot top up. pls buy top up voucher code and text me with it. xxx

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it <3, 25 Feb 2014
Really exciting to read , a gripping book that no one will be able to put down. Once you have started you will never stop . Can't wait for the third book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better and better, 19 Jan 2014
This was Evan Better than the first book which is really saying something, the story is evolving into something unique and hugely entertaining. Grisha trilogy is a must read!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›