4.0 out of 5 stars Good keyboard, feature set may be an aquired taste
Published 21 months ago by M. Bhangal

3.0 out of 5 stars G510 is ok but......
The keyboard itself feels nicer to the touch and the keys are a lot better than the older G15. It is also slimmer and slightly smaller too.
Published 17 months ago by Mr. N. Wright

4.0 out of 5 stars Good keyboard, feature set may be an aquired taste, 22 July 2013
M. Bhangal "S" (Somewhere in Northern England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first thing to say is that this keyboard will almost certainly live or die on its support: the keyboard's LCD screen supports applets that can provide additional information (either system stats, game stats or a feed) and there is even an SDK you can download to make your own applets. Whether or not this keyboard turns out to be a gaming classic or not will depend to a large extent on the number and quality of the applets created. As the keyboard has just come out, its difficult to say which way it will go. Having said that, I can confirm that the excellent LCDSirReal (SirReal's multipurpose G15 plugin) works perfectly for this keyboard, implying that existing applets for the older G13/G15 will work with the G510, so we potentially have backward compatibility with the older keyboards.

The second big issue is that this keyboard is not a mechanical keyboard: it is a dome membrane keyboard. Although the keyboard is expensive, a lot of that is going into electronics and not the engineering of the keys themselves. What you have here is a fairly average physical keyboard with lots of electronic helpers and eye candy. If you want key quality above everything else, get a mechanical keyboard without all the frills. Ignoring the fact that this is a membrane keyboard, you do get low latency on the keys (fast polling), 6 key multi-press, and lots of custom keys that can be assigned to single keypresses or macros.
Clearly, this makes the 510 a little devisive: some will love it, others will hate it. What I will say to add to the argument is that tactile action has a lot of visual input... the keyboard does look and feel cheaper than its asking price when it is powered down, but as soon as it comes on, your eyes start to colour your perception in more ways than one! I also think that the 'mechanical keyboard' thing is a bit of a cult: if mechanical keyboards are so good, why did they all but dissappear until fairly recently? Fashion? My take is that if a keyboard is at least accurate, then you will get used to anything in terms of key action.

The macro feature (along with some of the system applets) will be useful to certain content creation users as well as gamers. I am, for example, a heavy Adobe Premiere and Photoshop user, and already have custom layouts for both. For Premiere (video editing), the LCD screen shows CPU and memory profiling so I can see at a glance if my machine is actually encoding or if it has crashed or is low on resources. The G keys I use in Premiere for some of my most common functions. The first cluster of G keys I have assigned to the different screen layouts and the second cluster toggle the most often used windows, and the third for common timeline editing shortcuts. Similarly for Photoshop and Softimage/XSI.

For gamers and overclockers, the keyboard-LCD screen is not always just eye candy. When playing games with an overclock, I often used my second computer screen just to display temps. With this keyboard, running certain applications (such as Core Temp) results in the application output appearing on the keyboard-LCD so you no longer need that second screen. Also, if you are a heavy downloader, you have to often leave a computer screen on to show progress, but on LCDSirReal you have the incoming and outgoing web traffic (and in the more useful Mbytes/s rather than Windows Mbits/s), so you can turn the screen off and just look at the keyboard-LCD every now and then. Its also useful when you are using something like Origin. At the moment, I am downloading Deadspace 3, but also playing through Battlefield 3, both bought as part of a recent EA games humble bundle (8 games for a fiver, including the two mentioned, Burnout Paradise, Crysis 2, Mirrors Edge... and um, the Sims 3), but the traffic generated by the deal is making their servers drop connections regularly atm. No problem - I just keep an eye on the keyboard, and if the traffic drops, I know I need to come out of BF3 and restart Origin. I'm still looking for something that tells me NVidia GPU stats on the LCD, but for the CPU and download health, I'm covered.

Surprisingly, the keyboard has an in-built sound card (plug in headphones and you hear sound not through a passthrough, but through audio hardware in the keyboard. Useful if you will be using headphones on a gaming PC with motherboard sound, as there is often so much electrical interference and less than perfect audio hardware in such cases that the keyboard audio can sound noticeably better. Equally surprisingly, on the 510s, you don't get a USB hub or even a single USB passthrough for your mouse.

Finally, the keyboard just looks cool. You can assign a backlight colour as part of each profile, so as you change profiles, not only does the LCD applet and key macros change: so does the keyboard colour! Definately an expensive gimmick, but be aware that I am an Alienware Aurora owner ;) Slightly dissapointing that you don't have colour zones, or the ability to animate the colour on events (changing colour on CPU loading, flashing the keyboard on emails, animated colour graduations on inactivity).

There is already at least one template for the G Keys - google 'overlay for G510' and you will find a link to a printable template from bandlero on deviantArt. Really really useful for us Photoshop/SoftImage and other keyboard shortcut heavy app users!

So to conclude

- You can get keyboards with far better physical key action for the same price, but those keyboards will not have the additional electronic features you get with the G510s. Take your pick!

- Ignoring the keyboard action, the keyboard feels responsive.

- You get a nice audio device in the keyboard, but no USB for your mouse.

- The number of applets and quality of game support is something that will make or break the keyboard, and as it has just been released, that is a bit of an unknown at the moment. It *is* backward compatible with the older 'G' keyboards though, which is a major plus as there are lots of older applets that do work (and fit on the G510 screen with no issues). I've had no issues with any applet Ive tried so far, and it does work with the best older applet out there (LCDSirReal).

- They keyboard looks a little ugly when it is off, and really only comes alive when it is powered on.

- The keyboard firmware is not upgradable. This may affect longevity of the community that builds around the keyboard.

All in all, a good keyboard. Best things are the macro ('G') keys and LCD applets that effiectively gives you an extra screen of diagnostics for gamers and overclockers, worst thing is that you can get a mechanical keyboard for the same price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent gaming keyboard, 14 Aug. 2013
Bluey1976 (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This keyboard is the baby brother to the G19s, the main difference is the monochrome display as opposed to its big brothers full colour version. The build quality is excellent, one of the differences between the original G510 keyboard and the s edition is a protective (not visible to the eye) layer which has coated the keyboard, this apparently means you will see less fingermarks on the plastic. I cannot verify this though as I never owned the original but yes, there is certainly no problem with finger marks so it seems to work.

This keyboard does not have mechanical switches and to be honest, it does not need them either, the keys have a nice feel to them and are very responsive/ On the left hand side of the keyboard you will find 19 G Keys along with 3 macro keys, you will also find an MR button which can be used to program macros on the go without using any software whatsoever, this works beautifully. Next to the MR button you will find a further key with a joypad displayed on it, when you are gaming, you simply need to tap this key in order to enter gaming mode, this will prevent any accidental key presses that could take you back to desktop (like the windows key for example)

Unlike the G19s, this keyboard is powered entirely by USB, no need for extra power sockets. The keyboards backlight is very effective, you can choose from millions of colours from an RGB grid (from the keyboards software) Certainly something for everyone there.

This is a great keyboard and I highly recommend it, the only surprising complaint I have is a lack of usb port on the keyboard for a mouse.. what's that all about Logitech??

5.0 out of 5 stars As a gamer, I really like this keyboard.., 3 Aug. 2013
Caroline P. (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First of all, to be clear about the target market: this is a gaming keyboard. If you're not a gamer, you'll be paying for a whole lot of bells and whistles you don't want.

But, for me, this keyboard is about as perfect as it gets. I will say that my previous keyboard was also a Logitech keyboard with an LCD screen (the G15).

In terms of 'feel' when typing, it's very similar. I'm a touch-typist and I've consistently found Logitech keyboards the most comfortable to type on. I'm "light-fingered" when I'm typing and become very error-prone and frustrated with keyboards the need quite a firm 'thump'. This ..is perfect in terms of touch.

What you're paying for, though, are the extra features. LCD screens are one of those things that seem to split the gaming community, with some saying "Why on earth do you need them?" and others saying "I'd no longer buy a keyboard without one". I'm in the latter category - I find it enormously useful. The LCD screen is supported by all the major gaming voice applications (Ventrilo, Teamspeak etc). That means that when you're in a group, you can instantly see who is speaking, who has joined or left your channel etc. I find it indispensible just for that reason alone. You can react instantly to a person speaking without needing to stop and figure out which one of the group it was. I'm inclined to the view that once you've got an LCD screen, that's when you realise how very useful they are.

Many, many games also support the LCD screen. On the whole, I don't find them giving me information that's all that useful, but that depends on the game no doubt. What is useful is being able to monitor system and graphics cards temperatures while you're playing. My G15 was my alert to a graphics card fan failure before my system went into meltdown. (That was via a third-party app - MSI Afterburner. The LCD screen is, in my experience, very well-supported with apps).

On non-gaming use, the LCD screen can monitor emails, RSS feeds, show a clock or be used as a countdown timer.

There are also no less than 18 programmable keys, particularly useful for MMO-type games. As each of these 18 keys can be programmed with 3 macros/key sequences simply by pressing one key to select a 'bank', they're really useful for setting up different sequences for different alts. They're easy to program via a variety of means too.

Other features? Well, you can have your keys and LCD backlit in any colour you choose, though having played with it once you'll probably never bother to change it. The 'WASD' and direction keys are dark silver, rather than black, making them quick to find at a glance. In the case of the former, it does affect the legibility of the key caps slightly - but as a gamer, you'd know your WASD keys without looking. :) The font of the keycaps is new and probably intended to be "contemporary". I quite like them but it took me a while to get the hang of finding the '&' key (shift-7) as it really doesn't look much like an &. There's a button to stop the start menu popping up in the middle of games, a handy spinning volume control and the usual media control buttons for your music. I confess I've never used the latter as I just don't play music while doing other things (I find it a distraction). It also has a built-in headset socket, which uses its own sound system.

If you have its predecessor, the 510, there's really nothing here for you in terms of upgrade. It looks a little different - the shading on the keys, the markings on the board and the font on the keycaps. But essentially it's the same thing in a new outfit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bit more advanced gaming keyboard with cool extra features, 31 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Logitech Gaming Keyboard G510s - UK layout (Accessory)
After reviewing Logitech G105, I also received Logitech G510s Gaming Keyboard for review that is bit more advanced keyboard model with some extra features compared to entry-level G105.

First of all, must be said that G510s comes with double price therefore although packed with good features for sure is not bargain priced though still ratio paid vs. received is on customer side.

G510s is in middle of the Logitech G-Series gaming keyboards, offers 16 million color custom backlighting, 18 programmable G-keys which enables configuration of 54 different functions. Same as other G-Series keyboards supports on-the-fly macro recording but what makes is special are two of its features: LCD display that enable player to be all the time informed about statistics and user-defined data and 3.5 mm audio plug for headset with independent controls.

Also instead of G105 five, there is six-key input with anti-ghosting which offers possibilities to execute complex moves fully right. To use its extra features, user should install G software package which though powerful it’s very easy to install and simple to use.

Speaking about design, this keyboard has unique placement of keys therefore it would need some time to get used to it, though not too long because keys are placed in meaningful way suitable for gaming needs. The keyboard comes in package box that protects it sufficiently from the possible damage during transport and within the box besides keyboard itself and manual, user gets palm rest.

Overall, if you have few additional bucks to spend and want to purchase gaming keyboard with some cool and useful features that looks great, Logitech G510s is an option worth your consideration. Given the number of functions, great design and the name of company behind it, you simply cannot go wrong with this one.

I received a sample of Logitech G510s for the purpose of testing and unbiased review, while all the presented information is based on my impressions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just not right for me.., 11 Aug. 2013
Shaun Horrigan "Shaun" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First a little about me:

I would say I am quite a bit above what you would call a casual gamer, but not really totally hardcore. I currently play Guildwars 2 most evenings and spend almost all of that time in World vs World (a massively multiplayer form of player vs player).

I have a pretty high spec gaming PC that I built myself and had recently been using a Microsoft Sidewinder keyboard.

The first thing that I would say about this keyboard is that it really does have a huge "Wow" factor. As soon as it comes on, the central LCD panel lights up with the G510 logo. This LCD is really this keyboards biggest selling point.

It can display multiple different things from a simple clock, to a news feed, to a count down timer, to game specific information for supported games.

Fortunately for me Guildwars 2 is a supported game, so as soon as Guildwars 2 loads you get the Guildwars 2 logo and then lots of in game information such as you character stats, your mapping achievements, or the World scores in World vs World.

I also use Mumble for my voice comms when playing and Mumble is also supported. In Mumble mode it will show you the name of the person who is currently speaking, which can be really useful when there are 50+ people in the channel in one battle!

Other than the LCD display, the keyboard has several other features.

You can set the keyboard backlight to any colour!
You can disable the Windows key (the Sidewinder did this in software but this has am actual slider)
It has 18 macro keys that can each have multiple modes.
It has a volume wheel and mute buttons for speakers and microphone.

It also has a nice medium sort of key action that is not too clicky but does have enough resistance to give good feedback.

My biggest problem with this keyboard is something that is probably a "me" problem rather than a problem with the keyboard and that is even after using this for almost three weeks I am still struggling to type on it. I am not a full touch typist - but don't look at the keyboard that much and I keep finding my fingers one or sometimes even two keys over to the left. This is probably because I an using the left edge of the keyboard to locate my hands (without realising it) and because of the extra width of this keyboard I am finding my fingers in the wrong place.

As much as I love the LCD and the look of this keyboard, I think I am going to be going back to my Sidewinder.

Overall - 4 stars - A great looking keyboard with a very useful LCD display but I just can't type on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, 12 Feb. 2014
Mr. Danius Genys (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Gaming Keyboard G510s - UK layout (Accessory)
First of all, I had Logitech G15 keyboard, one of the first ones that came out with LCD screen (mono). But that keyboard was like 4 years old and the illumination was not as strong, barely visible. But overall I was very happy with Logitech brand, therefore decided to stick with them.
My priorities were:
1. illumination,
2. LCD panel screen (for controlling my water cooling temps of CPU and GPUs)

I had 2 options: G19 or G510.

G19 has couple extra buttons and colour LCD panel. That was about it, no other big differences, except the price. Didn't want to pay nearly 150 pounds for keyboard. So I chose G19 with smaller LCD screen, which is still monochrome, but background colour changes together with keys colour.

I was very happy to see that illumination can be set up any way you want, any colour. LCD panel screen is smaller than old G15, but I was surprised to see how well it worked with smaller fonts. I could still get all my CPU and GPU temps on one screen.

I had my old G15 keyboard's panel LCD setup with Barloggg's Applet and it worked wonders. I was very surprised to see I didn't have to change anything once I connected G510 keyboard. Everything changed and adjusted automatically, even the Barloggg's Applet worked as before without any changes.

Keys feel different than the old G15, slightly softer and not as noisy, but still noisier than any laptop's keys. They feel better, I must say.
I also enjoyed an additional roller for controlling the master volume. This is brilliant as I can VERY quickly adjust the sound without reaching the speaker volume or getting into Windows sound. There are other media buttons as well and they do seem to work properly with Winamp player and Windows Media Classic player. I believe they work with most media players.

Additional G1-G18 keys can be programmed using Logitech Gaming Software, just like with older G15 keyboard. Very handy for gamers and specific macro functions.

I am very happy with this keyboard. It surprised me on some aspects and I feel my money was worth this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 28 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Logitech Gaming Keyboard G510s - UK layout (Accessory)
This keyboard is amazing. Although I didn't buy it from amazon (I actually bought it from Currys for a bit cheaper I think) It is a great keyboard! the LCD screen wows my friends alot, and the feature of viewing how much of your RAM and CPU is being used is also cool on the mini LCD screen. The keyboard itself it very slim, comes with 18 macro keys you can program using logitechs software you have to download. I'm typing this review on the keyboard right now, and the keys are lovely! Very satisfying feel to them. You can also change the colour of the keys to whatever you want, and I mean WHATEVER you want. No colour restrictions at all. The profiles feature is also cool as well. There are 3 different custom LED modes you can also set. You can switch between them using the 3 M keys at the top. I currently have red (Because my PC case is a red LED Vantage gamers case), and the other 2 modes are green and blue. The keyboard also has a sturdy switch to lock the windows key (So you can still press it, but it wont bring up the menu) This, For people who are new to these keyboards, is a key feature for when your gaming, since I often accidentally press the windows key often. The keyboard also has music and volume controls for easy access. You can also plug in headphones and a microphone to the keyboard.
The keyboard also comes with a slightly bigger arm rest sorta thing you can clip on too. Its more of a wrist rest really. Well that about sums it up. I would recommend this keyboard to anyone really!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice customisation, especially the backlighting, 22 July 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Now I'm not a hardcore PC gamer by any stretch, in fact I'm not a hardcore gamer at all even though I do play a lot of games. As far as the PC goes, I only tend to play the games I can't on a console, so my experience of PC gaming is fairly limited and as I've only recently bought my first gaming keyboard before getting hold of this one my experience of PC gaming with a gaming keyboard is extremely limited. I'm saying all of this because if hardcore gamers are going to come along and read reviews then mine probably won't be any good to them; I'm going to say that it works fine, the reaction time of keys pressed is very fast and that there are loads of programmable g-keys. I'm also going to say that the best bit is the personalisation of all the different colours you can make the backlighting and that's bound to annoy some serious gamers!

This is easily the most expensive keyboard I've ever tried and I like it, although again, I'm likely to be a lot more easily pleased than a hardcore gamer might be. I have to be honest it's mostly the backlit customisation that sells it to me so yeah, I guess I'm blinded by the lights, so make of that what you will as far as a recommendation goes! :)

3.0 out of 5 stars G510 is ok but......, 30 Nov. 2013
Mr. N. Wright - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Gaming Keyboard G510s - UK layout (Accessory)
The LCD screen cannot be tucked away like it could with the G15 keyboard and it is also a bit smaller. Unlike the older G15 keyboard that had a rubbery sort of feel to it and seemed to attract dust, dirt and was not easily removed, this one does not.
The keyboard could really do with a bit more of a tilt to it, it slants backwards when the feet are up (under the keyboard) and when down it more or less becomes level. The lighting is not that great, but it is better if you sit right above the keyboard and look down at it from above (though I know not who use's a keyboard like this), this is why the board looks a little duller than it should.
The different colours you can have are not that great, white seems to show up the best out of all, however I have not discovered if you can have multi-colours at the same time with this board, though that is just a gimmick.

I have been using the keyboard now for about 3 weeks and only bought it from amazon when on offer for £68, though I still think that is a little bit high for a keyboard it would be worth £55-60 as it is. Anyone purchasing this will be happy with it.

I was looking at mechanical keyboards but refuse to pay over £100 for one of those, Christ its just a keyboard, not a computer. However once the mechanical keyboards come right down in price, have more or less what the G15/G510 has (though with a better lighting system) that would be worth paying for. Hopefully this keyboard will last a few years.

The only major downside I have about this keyboard and its software is unlike the G15, this one tends to lose its software function once the PC goes into standbye or sleep mode, you will have to close down the Logitech software and the restart it to have the keyboards functions become active again, else its only good for typing with and nothing much else. Hopefully Logitech will fix this with a software update (if possible).

4.0 out of 5 stars OK. Could do with better key legends and brighter illumination., 6 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Logitech Gaming Keyboard G510s - UK layout (Accessory)
I bought this for the programmable keys, which work well, and so I could use it in the dark.

It's fairly good, but with a couple of gripes: the illumination isn't very bright (it seems dimmer than the G13 keypad) making the keys occasionally difficult the read in a normally lit room, especially when using a non-white backlight. Also, some of the key legends are tiny and a bit stylized - spotting the bracket keys isn't that easy, for example.

Logitech Gaming Keyboard G510s - UK layout