4.0 out of 5 stars It needs its own power supply.
Published 13 months ago by Clever Spud

2.0 out of 5 stars Great When It Works (Presumably)
Published 13 months ago by Robert Groom

2.0 out of 5 stars Great When It Works (Presumably), 1 Aug 2013
Robert Groom (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I finally had to admit defeat. In spite of spending a lot of time on the phone to a very helpful support person from Logitech (available Mon-Fri in working hours only), and despite un-plugging or disabling any hardware or software that may conflict with it, I was unable to get the keyboard to be recognised by my Windows 7 64-bit gaming PC. Very disappointed, though from what I've read elsewhere, I'm not the only person to have experienced this. In more than 20 years of PC gaming, this is the first time I've been unable to get a peripheral to work at all. I already have a Logitech G600 mouse which works fine using the same driver software, but the keyboard was a no-go.

It looks nice, and it has a quality feel (as you'd expect for this money) but beyond that I fear I'm unable to report.

My advice is, when you receive your keyboard - try it straight away, and if it doesn't install and work easily, send it back and get a refund as soon as possible. Of course there's no guarantee that it'll also work when you upgrade your motherboard or OS, so even if it does work initially, you may run into trouble later.

Sorry Logitech, your support team may be helpful (when they're there - generally not when you're gaming) but this keyboard seems to be a little too clever for its own good.

Unable to recommend.

=======
Updated Apr-2014

I had to re-install Windows 7 on my PC, and I was pleased to discover that I was able to get the newly installed machine to recognise the keyboard. I had a good couple of weeks use of it before suddenly it gave up connecting to the PC and began endlessly rebooting itself (the keyboard, not the PC). After endless messing around, I gave up again, and I've completely had it with this thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars It needs its own power supply., 25 July 2013
Clever Spud (Birmingham) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
So that's a novelty. Without the power connected the keyboard functions as a standard USB keyboard, but where's the fun in that? The plug is one of those that have the cable going in at the top where the Earth pin is. It's also a longish plug - basically what I'm saying is that if you use a 10 or 12 gang powerstrip, with two rows of sockets, this plug will take up two spaces across the width of the strip. That's really sloppy design. Who doesn't use an extension powerstrip with their PC? The lead coming out of the keyboard is doubled-up for USB and power making it heavier than a standard USB cable and somewhat unwieldy, though this is really just a niggle.

The keyboard is entirely plastic, with membrane-switched keys. I have had one of the original Logitech G15 keyboards for an age and while it uses the same non-mechanical-switched keys, the housing feels heavier and sturdier in use. The old G15 had 18 programmable "G" keys, while the revised G15 only had 12, as does the G19s. There are three "shift" buttons to triple up the number of functions that you can have for a total of 36. This seems like plenty. The old reliable "MR" button lets you assign a macros to any key on the fly and is a godsend for games like "Dwarf Fortress" which use a lot of keyboard short-cuts, or games with "Quick Time Events" - this functionality turned the "Walking Dead" game from a chore into a real pleasure by taking out the button-mashing -, but it's also incredibly handy if you're doing a bunch of document editing or spreadsheet work.

I remember mechanical-switch keyboards from back in the day when there wasn't anything else available. Honestly I have no problem with modern membrane keyboards and find them perfectly comfortable to use for extended periods of time. BUT it starts to become difficult to see where the costs are coming from with this keyboard to justify the price. Mechanical switch keyboards can be had for about forty notes. The wrist rest on the G19s is treated with nano-particles so it doesn't get sticky with sweat, and the keys are UV resistant and laser cut so they'll resist fading.
You can select the key backlight colour from an almost limitless palette along with the brightness (though adjusting the backlight brightness also adjusts the brightness on the mini-screen - I can see reasons for and against this but individual control with the option of pairing would have made more sense). All of this is nice, but not essential, whereas the mechanical switched keys would have made a real difference to many discerning buyers.

(edit: quick point about the font on the keyboard - it's weird and inconsistent, eg the $ symbol and the $ dollar symbol are stylistically different, presumably because the sterling symbol was an afterthought. The & and @ keys are barely recognisable if you weren't expecting them.)

On the G15 the "escape" key sat between the bank of programmable "G" keys and the F1 key with about 20mm clearance either side. The G19s is a more compact keyboard and the function keys are shifted to the left so the "escape" key isn't quite so isolated and I have been continually slapping the F1 key when I meant to hit "escape" - this is probably just a learning thing and I just need to get used to it. The "Caps Lock" key on my keyboard is only partially backlit - not sure if this is a fault peculiar to my keyboard or a general thing. It's not really noticeable until you notice it, and then you'll see it all the time and be sad. That might just be me.

There are two "high speed" USB 2.0 slots on the rear of the keyboard. Given that this is already a powered keyboard and it's 2013, there doesn't seem to be any good reason why they shouldn't have specified USB 3.0 - calling USB 2.0 "high speed" is a joke these days.

So that screen then. Harping back to the G15 I have - it had a crude monochrome LCD screen that was functional at best. After the initial novelty wore off after a couple of days I folded the screen back and have never looked at it since. Is the G19s screen any more useful? Presumably that's why you're going to pay a premium price and the reason it needs a power supply in the first place.

The screen comes with various apps, and best get to like them because there's very little else available. You have a clock app where you can customise the clock face, and there's a stopwatch and countdown app but it doesn't use the same clock face from the regular clock app and there are no customisation options available. Why not? And why, oh why, isn't there an alarm app? The one thing that I can see being really useful hasn't been included. Imagine if you were playing League and the keyboard suddenly flashed red and the screen told you that it was time to switch the oven off - how handy would that be? Well, dream on, because you can't do it.

There IS a Youtube app but selecting the video you want to see is pretty limited. You can select from a list of the most popular, most recent etc. videos but without keyboard entry into the app there's no way to do a search. Speaking of the selection - the Apps and options are selected with a fourway keypad to the left of the screen, allowing directional control with an OK button in the centre. This is cheap as dirt. Keypresses are missed and the housing flexes as you press the keys. It's just nasty on a keyboard coming in at this pricepoint.

The movie playing App is linked to Windows Media Player - fair enough, but if you've become accustomed to using XBMC or VLC player with their built-in codecs then you're in for a shock as WMP stumbles because of limited innate codec support. If you patch up your WMP installation with, say, the K-Lite pack it'll play just about anything and looks pretty good while doing it, but I've had issues with codec packs in the past so I'd hope to avoid that. Having said that, what else are they supposed to do? everyone has WMP installed and some people even use it by preference. Let's call this an observation, rather than a criticism.

I have maybe fifty games installed, though a lot of those are niche, indie games, but there are quite a few AAA games as well. The profiling software picked up on three - Skyrim, Kingdoms of Amalur and Serious Sam 3. With Serious Sam 3 the screen will show the name of the map, number of enemies killed and number of secrets discovered etc. Useful stuff but far from essential. The bright, crisp 320x240 screen is definitely more useful than the old clunky LCD screen on the G15 but I don't know that I'll ever be relying on it. I'll be interested to see if other games do a bit more with it. The big downside is that you need to look away from the main screen, down to the mini-screen so whatever is down there had better be worth taking your attention from the game. Certainly in Serious Sam 3 that is not a good idea. (Serious Sam 3 mini-review - bonkers fun. Don't go in with high expectations and bring a sense of humour.)

So I've spent a large chunk of the review slamming this keyboard, and I think I've made the point that for a premium product it doesn't feel like you're getting your money's worth. The screen is still of limited actual use. But, I won't be going back to the G15 any time soon. Actually typing on the G19s feels pretty good and I'm loving the moisture-repelling wrist rest. Honestly, I turn off the screen and backlight most of the time.

Taking into account the price I'd give it 3.5 out of 5, though if you absolutely have to have cat videos from Youtube streaming at all times, or if money is no object then make that 4 out of 5.

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably exactly what some people are looking for, emphasis on 'some', 31 July 2013
Amazon Customer (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
First impressions and build:
============================
The G19s shares a form factor with the other keyboards in the G series - traditional QWERTY, F keys, and numpad banks, with the function keys shoved to the left of the keyboard and the controls for the screen, memory profiles, and volume up top. It's made of a variety of heavy plastics: the keys and handrest are a non-slick matte material, while the trim around the edges is a glossy dark blue. The thing feels solid and there's little flex, as you'd expect and hope for at this price range.

The G19s embraces the 'gamer' aesthetic fully, with every key backlit with a completely customisable colour. The LEDs themselves aren't terribly bright, although they're definitely bright enough to be noticeable in a well-lit room and readable in the dark The illumination is slightly uneven on some keys, such as the capslock key. The transparent cutouts for the lettering on the keys is in a futuristic typeface, very much in keeping with the general style of the package. I normally go for more sedate designs - my previous keyboards were a Unicomp mechanical keyboard and a Logitech Wireless Solar, but the G19s is just tasteful enough for me to use it without feeling like a late 90s cyberpunk throwback. Not that there's anything particularly wrong with that, of course.

Looking past the illuminated keys and ballsy design, there's another unusual feature: the screen. It's a tiny 4:3 LED display attached to the top of the keyboard. It can pivot to a limited degree, allowing for slumpers and people with decent posture alike to choose a viewing angle to suit them.

Typing and gaming experience:
The first thing to note is that this, like most keyboards made in the last decade, is a membrane switch. You push the key down, its peg pushes a resistant dome, and when the key bottoms out, you have a keypress. Until I discovered the scissor switches on laptops and mechanical switches on keyboards like the IBM Model M and an increasing number of gaming keyboards, I'd only ever used membrane switches. Nowadays, I prefer to type using the other styles because they feel less 'mushy' and more responsive. The typing action on the G19s is fine - in fact, I think make fewer mistakes using it because I'm slightly more considered in my keypresses than with the scissor switches on my K750s, but it still doesn't feel quite as good. However, for its primary purpose: gaming, I actually prefer the membrane keys to mechanical or scissor. They lack the binary sharpness of mechanical keys (as well as much of the noise!) and have more solidity than the scissor switches. I've got back into Battlefield Bad Company 2 recently and I feel very comfortable using the G19s for it.

Software:
=========
Like most hardware nowadays, the G19s doesn't come with an installation CD. Instead, you're directed to a website where you can download the 50mb suite. This is potentially a problem if you somehow lack reliable internet access, but I understand why companies are moving away from physical media. Setup took less than 5 minutes - I installed the software, plugged the keyboard in, and I was ready to go. The software allows you to set up three main profiles which can be accessed with the physical keys in the top left of the board. These profiles govern what the 12 function keys do, the applets for the screen, and the illumination settings. You can also have the software scan your system for games with existing profiles, allowing you to populate the function keys with macros that can be used in game.

The Screen:
===========
So, here we come to one of the major selling points of the G19s - the screen. By default it comes with applets such as an RSS reader, youtube viewer, performance tracker for your system, an analogue clock display, and other media-viewing services. Personally, I'm always after more screen real estate, so if I'm able to offload an RSS reader to the G19s screen so I don't have to have it cluttering my main screens, that's a bonus. The youtube viewer has the ability to playback copied video URLs automatically, which might be useful if you're chatting with someone in game and don't want to alt-tab. There are also certain games that are able to output information to the G19 - ammunition and scores, for instance. The concept is slightly strange, since you have to take your eyes away from your main screen - and the game - in order to peer at the G19. It's more convenient than alt-tabbing, certainly, but I'm not sure I'll be able to make the most of it. Hardcore gamers who are constantly communicating and possibly streaming a feed of their webcam might find it useful as an alternative to switching between windows, however, so I won't entirely dismiss the utility of the screen. I've yet to find any third party applets for it, so I'm looking forward to seeing what people are able to come up with.
Overall:
========
I feel that the people who will want the G19s already know why the want it. It's a gamer's keyboard and it has a plethora of game specific features to back that up. I could see the function keys being useful in other fields, such as computer aided design or programming, though. Yes, it lacks en vogue mechanical key switches, yet I don't feel those switches add much to gaming, even if they are better for typing. There aren't many devices like this and it caters for a specific user. If you think you can make the most of the screen and the software, then the G19s may well be for you. Otherwise, there isn't much to differentiate it from the scheaper, screenless keyboards in the G-series range.

4.0 out of 5 stars Do you really need a screen?, 26 July 2013
Andrew "impulsive gadget buyer" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Logitech G19s is a lovely keyboard which offers a wealth of gaming orientated features. I play a lot of Battlefield 3 and Starcraft 2 and my current keyboard is a Microsoft Sidewinder X4. The X4 doesn't have a screen but it does have red backlighting, massive anti-ghosting properties (26 simultaneous keys) and programmable macro keys. And all for less than forty quid.
Now, I really do like Logitech peripherals and have a G500 mouse. Logitech's current `s' line is the newest iteration of its venerable G series.

The G19s is well built keyboard and comes with all the features a gamer would expect. It feels very premium and it is clear a lot of time has gone into designing the aesthetics of this board. This surface of the board and keys does feel very nice.

The little screen is great for displaying additional info through downloadable applets such as your core temps or media playback and also Teamspeak. However, in reality how useful will this screen be? It is out of your line of sight and if you are going to look away long enough to see it you may as well just minimise your game and do what you need that way.

The backlight is fully customisable in a huge spectrum of colours so there is something for everyone (really wish my X4 had a blue backlight). There are macro keys for programming combos and you can set the keyboard to switch between profiles for games, and it has a dedicated button for disabling the windows key. It has two powered usb ports and a detachable wrist rest.

However, a number of things caught my attention. The main one being the lack of mechanical switches. Unlike the G710+ this keyboard uses membrane switches. I would've expected a gaming keyboard of this calibre to be either fully mechanical or at least the WASD keys to be mechanical. The screen, once you get past the initial wow factor is really a touch limited.

Even though I think the keyboard is well built it is very plastic fantastic. The membrane switched keys are ok but, as I use my keyboard for gaming and a lot of general typing I quickly found typing on the G19s a chore. I really didn't like how unresponsive the keys are, they just felt dull and I certainly wouldn't like to type on it for any great length of time.

Overall this keyboard is well made, albeit a bit plastic fantastic. Sadly for me it relies too heavily on gimmicky features whilst lacking features that would appeal to the type of gamer likely to be spending in this price bracket. Unless you desperately need a screen I would look at the G710+ or something like the Corsair K70 for a mechanical keyboard. Though having said that the Microsoft X4 packs a lot of punch for its budget.

4.0 out of 5 stars I was really disappointed at the lack of apps, 17 July 2014
C. J. Elliott (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech G19s Gaming Keyboard (Accessory)
Very expensive for what it is, but it does what I want and it's very functional. LIKES, scroll wheel for player volume,illuminated keyboard, feel of keys, the coating which stops greases building up on the keys and main body-it keeps it looking clean after a lot of use. DISLIKES, the whole point of this keyboard is the colour LCD display which runs apps to show you clock, CPU usage etc. I was really disappointed at the lack of apps. I couldn't find any that did what I wanted, so, if you are entranced by the idea of the screen, check out if any apps that do what you want are available.

2.0 out of 5 stars Keyboard build quality is good but the plastic used on for the screen isn't, 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: Logitech G19s Gaming Keyboard (Accessory)
I received the keyboard as the estimated time said, which shows that amazon is very efficient. When i first unboxed the keyboard it looked really good, I've used it for about 2 weeks now and I noticed that there are these white dots on the screen of the display and I tried cleaning it with a wet cloth, however hard I tried it didn't come off. This is extremely disappointing as I have only been using this keyboard for two weeks and already it has defects, I do not see any reason for it to be human caused as it stays on my desk 24/7 and no one goes into my room. I wouldn't recommend you to buy this keyboard as it will just let u down. Another thing about the keyboard is that although it allows u to have any colour as the back lighting it changes itself to white after a while and that is very annoying.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good buy for anyone into computer gaming, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Logitech G19s Gaming Keyboard (Accessory)
Got this for my bf who is really into his computer gaming he really liked it and had everything plus more than what he expected it to , having had the make of the one before it. Good buy for anyone into there gaming.

5.0 out of 5 stars G19, 18 Jan 2014
This review is from: Logitech G19s Gaming Keyboard (Accessory)
I should have read all the reviews first as I didn't know it had to be plugged in luckily I have one spare socket next to my pc that I have had to use to plug this keyboard into. Never really thought you would have such a powerful keyboard that would need plugging in as well as a usb connection.

Excellent keyboard upgraded from G15 that I have had for years, have tried others I haven't found anything to compare to Logitech. This keyboard was a little expensive it was around 145.00 but I'm happy with it.

I can view my Teamspeak3 I usually use my second screen but now I can use the keyboard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Logitech G19s keyboard, 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: Logitech G19s Gaming Keyboard (Accessory)
Wow! Functions you didnt realise you needed until you had one of these beauties!

Loving the programmable macros, choice of button lighting and handy display, well worth the extra pennies :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive - worth it?, 3 Sep 2013
Angel - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There's no doubt that for anyone serious about gaming this is an attractive item. The keyboard, which was really easy to install via the logitech site, has a nice gloss back surround and a tactile palm rest which is made of hard plastic. Logitech have marketed this as 'hydrophobic' as it apparently reduces palm sweat, it is comfy to use if you are going to be tapping keys for some time and making use of the range of features such as the programmable keys. Before buying it's worth making sure you have enough room on your desk as it extends further back due to the tiltable display (and large detachable palm rest) and is wider than the norm due to the programmable keys on the left. You will also need an extra power socket to power this keyboard. The USB and power cable are fused together which makes for a bulky wire combination on your desk. The built in USB ports are a good feature and supply enough voltage to power/charge devices. On the desktop assuming you have the space this does look the business and the build quality is good, as you'd expect frankly given the price.

The keys can be illuminated using any colour, although I was a little disappointed that you could not customise individual key colour. Certain keys around the main keyboard have a fixed colour, and I quite like the funky font.

As others have pointed out, this keyboard does not use mechanical keys but uses a keyboard membrane which gives a slight mushy feel. I quite like it and am able to type at a reasonable pace with it and in the main features you are going to use a lot are sensibly placed - the smooth rolling volume control is a boon, and it's easy too to put this into to gaming mode and disable the windows button.

The additional screen is of good quality, although of questionable usefulness, and I've found it a bit prone to not coming on when it's supposed to (you have to unplug the usb socket to bring it back to life) . There are only a handful of apps available on the screen and not that many games. These can be seen here [...] (The list is the same despite being for the G19 and not G19s). I was expecting more from the screen than the extra stats and scores which proved to be the case, however if webcam gaming or youtube whilst gaming is your bag you may find the screen a useful additon.

If have an ultimate gaming PC, then you are likely to want to complement it with the ultimate gaming keyboard. And this might be it, it's just quite a lot to pay for the privilege.

Logitech G19s Gaming Keyboard