5.0 out of 5 stars somewhere between DR1 and DR2
Published 8 months ago by Bare Osaka

3.0 out of 5 stars Same stuff throughout the whole game
The graphics within Dead Rising 3 are sublime. However a lot of the gameplay is very much the same stuff over again so I found myself getting very bored very quickly.
Published 7 months ago by Matthew

5.0 out of 5 stars somewhere between DR1 and DR2, 4 Dec 2013
This review is from: Dead Rising 3 (Xbox One) (Video Game)
Really enjoying this game. I was a huge fan of DR1 when it originally launched on xbox 360 some 6 years ago, the glossy graphics, sandbox gameplay and witty humour made the game extremely fun and different, and I think this latest Dead Rising sits neatly between the 2 games. Yes it is even more westernised than DR2 but it also has moments and nods to the original game especially the main character who not only sounds just like Frank West but reacts like him too which was sorely absent from the initial launch of DR2.

I have especially enjoyed DR3's weapons and crafting system, there are some really awesome "wow" moments when you find a blueprint for some ridiculous weapon that is gonna earn you an insane combo or mutilate a zombie in a way you never even thought of! This is where DR3 surpasses it's Predecessors. The map is also extremely varied and fun to explore! You can pretty much scale any building and look around inside for schematics, trophies and collectibles. This is a huge map which after over 15hours play I have still not seen all areas of!

In a nutshell then I'll sum up by saying this game is not as charming as the first, but also not as dull as the second, it sits nicely in the middle drawing on both games to create something truly fun and engaging. Considering this is a launch title and has No micro transactions priced at 44 it's a very good buy for your new xbox one. I highly recommend it! Oh and notice my review was not about graphics!, why? Well because it's just a great game, the graphics are excellent but it should be bought on its merit as a fun and entertaining experience and that is what I am recommending here. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead Rising 3, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: Dead Rising 3 (Xbox One) (Video Game)
This game is amazing and fun to play on your own and with friends, I'm having loads of fun with it at the moment and am sure I will continue to have loads of fun :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 2 Dec 2013
This review is from: Dead Rising 3 (Xbox One) (Video Game)
I am not the biggest zombie game fan but this game is an exception. It brings out the best in the Xbox one with terrifying sounds and awesome graphics. The game has so much depth and the selection of weapons is unreal. I was restricted with game choice for Xbox one and so I bought this and it was well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun!!!, 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: Dead Rising 3 (Xbox One) (Video Game)
So I had this game delivered in the mail today and I gave got to say that I am very impressed to start of with this game is a whole tonne of fun, I can't get enough of plowing through hordes of zombies. The graphics are great and the amount of zombies on one screen at the same time is incredible.
Overall the game is amazing and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Addictive, 2 Dec 2013
This review is from: Dead Rising 3 (Xbox One) (Video Game)
This game is one of the most fun games ive played and is insanely addictive their are so many ways of killing zombies and the story line is surprisingly gripping worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic Game, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: Dead Rising 3 (Xbox One) (Video Game)
Fantastic Xbox One Title.
Takes you around a huge city fighting millions of zombies what more could you want.
Such a fun game to play

And with the companion app it makes it that bit more fun, you won't use it all the time but having it there is nice.
For example switching to side missions is much easier with the companion app and it is instant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, 20 Jun 2014
This review is from: Dead Rising 3 (Xbox One) (Video Game)
Great game, worth 40, enjoyable to play however does become repetitive when completed more than once, however with new content does become more playable

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible showcase of zombified madness - an in-depth review., 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Dead Rising 3 (Xbox One) (Video Game)
This is the latest Dead Rising game, and available exclusively to Xbox One (I think) as one of the original launch titles. Hopefully this review can give you a good flavour of the game and help you decide whether to buy it (YES!!). To put it in perspective, I'm a `casual' gamer, more likely to be found playing shooters like Battlefield or Borderlands, or RPGs like Fallout, adventures like Assassin's Creed or GTA. I like open worlds and lots of freedom to play-as-you-like. I don't particularly like horror movies or horror games, and have never played a Dead Rising game before this one, so will not be comparing 3 to it's predecessors. However, I'd heard good things, and the trailers looked pretty epic so thought I'd give it a go.

ZOMBIES

Zombies, zombies, zombies!! The one thing Dead Rising doesn't lack is zombies. The power of the new Xbox is easily demonstrated in this game with literally hundreds and hundreds of zombies present on screen at any given time. To give you an idea of just how many there are, the game keeps a tally on-screen of your zombie kills, and after completing the single player story (with 70% completion of side mission stuff) my tally was just short of 35,000 glorious zombie deaths. I'm not joking - there are Xbox Achievements for killing over 70,000 or 100,004 - there are THAT many!!!

And the zombies themselves are great! Scary, but great! As a new person to the zombie-genre, I was close to soiling myself in even the first scenes of the game, where you're wandering through a deserted quarantine warehouse with just one or two zombies jumping out at you. This only serves to introduce you to the basic controls however, and you're suddenly thrust out into the open with half a mile, and a few thousand zombies between you and your next objective. Cue some tentative poking of the nearest zombies with wooden sticks, before a full on panicked run through the horde, physically dodging and twisting on the edge of my sofa to avoid their grasps!!!

The only niggle with the zombies is their inconsistent abilities to jump/climb - you can stand on the roof of a car indefinitely and let the hordes of undead cluster around you. But they will not/cannot jump or climb up onto said car. As soon as you get INTO the car however, you suddenly have zombies jumping/climbing all over it... Not the most consistent!!!!

WEAPONS

There are so many different ways to rack up zombie kills it's insane, and this is one of Dead Rising's biggest strengths - you can chop, hack, slash, push, bomb, remote-control, throw, shoot, and even shout delightfully inventive ways of deathdealing, with the combo upgrades scattered across the city. Alternatively you can shun all weapons and go fisticuffs, but this will likely end badly...

Many of the combos I found I only really used when first discovering them, but there are so many you'll never get bored for choice. However, I found I tended to stick to a few favourite super-combos - the explosive flaming grim reaper axe, and the flaming sword (always useful to have some flaming stuff available for a bit more light at night time), and for sheer novelty/funnage purposes, the remote control helicopter chopper-gunner toy, the giant teddybear with machine guns strapped to it, the automatic sex-toy-cannon (yes you read that correctly) some monstrosity electric-come-flamer Gandalf staff I made from a lamppost, etc - I could go on!! Oh and the better the combo, the more points you rack up per kill, so get crafting!!

And yes - your weapons will break, meaning you have to plan your way carefully, craft on the go, regularly use your safe houses, grab whatever's lying around, and NEVER go out in the dark underprepared...

ENVIRONMENT / GRAPHICS / ATMOSPHERE / GAMEPLAY 1

I've grouped the above together as they are mutually exclusive in Dead Rising 3. The full horrific beauty of the experience of e.g. standing on a rooftop as the sun sets, arcing a flare towards a darkened street, and watching hundreds of dark shapes cluster around the smokey red hue, ghastly red-glowing-eyed shadows flickering and strobing as they huddle round, is hard to explain. You really can imagine this as the backdrop to a Hollywood blockbuster. It is breathtaking. Add to that the inhumane shrieks, crashes and explosions that you can hear as you creep through a back alley keep the hairs on the back of your neck permanently raised and you constantly have to check yourself when you realise quite how tensely you're sitting. It's all very well happy-slashing your way through a horde of bodies during the day with your favourite combo, but when you find yourself alone in the darkness, on the wrong side of an underpass with only a crowbar and no flashlight, you cannot help but start to get rather panicky. Similarly when you're creeping through a deserted basement or tunnel, go round the corner and see, silhouetted in the smokey light, a screaming zombie American football player charging down the corridor towards you - ARGH!!! Some of the zombies remember basic skills like shotgun use etc (but they're not very good at it!!). And then theres the first time you encounter a crack team of military or splinter groups of biker gangs - you will be destroyed (rage-quit)!!!! They couldn't have done it much better in my opinion.

STORYLINE / GAMEPLAY 2

The storyline is great. Without revealing any spoilers, you are a dude in a city that has recently been infested with zombies, all exits have been sealed, and you have seven days to find a way out before the military firebombs the entire city. You can follow the storyline, or you can engage in the numerous side missions/bosses or item collections or challenges available across the city, much like the open world of GTA, just much more zombified...! There is also an element of uneasiness present throughout, as there is a continually ticking countdown to Armageddon! I played on "Completionist" mode, which allows more than enough time for all your zombie-killing-side-mission-completing needs, and I think I'd done over 70% of side bits when completing, with over a day left on the clock. If you do nightmare mode, then you really need to cooperatively rush it - there is a real squeeze on time, zombies are uber-strength, and you're very unlikely to survive long enough to get out alive. Mwahahaha!!!

SURVIVORS / POSSE AI

You can also rescue and recruit survivors to your posse for more zombie hunting goodness, though here is where my only real issues with the game lay. Firstly, to recruit many of the survivors, you have to complete several tasks for them. These can be anything from finding them a decent shotgun, to finding their wedding ring or other sundry items... "I know theres a zombie apocalypse, and we'r all about to die, but I'm not leaving unless you go to get me my favourite handbag from the other side of the city..." WHAT?!?!?

But once you complete these tasks, some survivors can become part of your posse. By this, it means you can equip them with ANY weapon (which will never break whilst in their possession) and have them follow you around whilst you all kill stuff. However, the posse members were more an irritant than anything else, and I found myself screaming on many occasions at the idiotic team member who would NOT get into my car, but instead fell over at the slightest touch, or who somehow managed to get him/herself stuck surrounded by zombies, etc. More often than not I just ignored them or didn't bother to recruit them from the "survivor board". Interestingly, my first survivor died very quickly but somehow became resurrected later on in the game and available again - I don't know how I did that...!! They could have been better - aside from proving useful cannon fodder/distraction in boss battles, for me they just got in the way.

CHARACTER & LEVELLING

As with many games, you can level your character up - the more stuff you do/zombies you kill, the more points you get. Using combo or super-combo weapons and stringing together kill streaks (my best streak was over 300), gets you more points. Use these to improve your character health/abilities. You can also customise your character with loads of different outfits, some less appropriate than others, which can be found throughout the city. You can also combo footstuffs to give yourself some wicked abilities, but annoyingly I didn't realise this until most of the way through the game..!!

VEHICLES

There is something so satisfying about ploughing through a zombie hoard on your very own zombie death machine - the combination vehicles are hilarious. My favourites included the forklift that impails then shoots zombies with fireworks, and the flamethrowing-steamroller-motorbike that obliterates everything around it with a hoggish roar!!

BOSSES

Dead Rising 3 has a variety of bosses, some throughout the main story, and some as optional side missions. Each has a slightly different weakness or specific way of approaching it to kill it. Each boss has distinct `character', and some are particularly disturbing (especially the `surgeon')...

I found the bosses particularly challenging, and several (including a hellish mechanical one three quarters of the way through) resulted in me rage-quitting more than a few times... But this is actually a fantastic contrast to the relative ease of dispatching regular zombies, and adds another element to the game. Admittedly after having the pants scared off my by many of the plot bosses, I found myself actively avoiding side-boss missions like the plague..!!!!

XBOX ONE INTEGRATION

Ok, it's early days for Xbox One games, with little niggles in several - Battlefield 4 bombs out, gets stuck on loading, or doesn't recognise the controller if it's not turned on when loading, AC3 Black Flag forgets who's signed in when you load it, etc. Dead Rising 3 had none of these issues - I was able to flip back and forth between the game and TV, snap TV whilst playing, or record game clips with no issues at all. It even worked flawlessly with the (beta) "resume-game-on-start" thing where you can turn the console on and go straight into the game without any loading screens/menus and take off from where you were. Seamless.

KINECT 2.0 INTEGRATION

Dead Rising 3 is the first game where I've willingly used Kinect integration consistently through the game. It's eery and quite thrilling to be able to run past a group of zombies shouting "I'm over here" and have them all turn and start lumbering towards you/the sound source. You can also direct your posse by pointing with your hand and telling them to "scavenge over there" or to cover you, etc. Telling them to scavenge is particularly useful when they've managed to get themselves half killed (see my gripes with posse under "Survivors / Posse AI".

SMARTGLASS COMPANION APP

Again, this works really well and is really well integrated into the game - it is clear that this was designed to be a worthwhile part of the game, rather than as an afterthought. You can use the "ZDC" app as a large minimap, to call reinforcements, make/answer in-game phone calls, select missions, create waypoints, and much more. One of the most interesting features is the option to get the app to look for and place a marker on the nearest gun/axe/sword/frying pan/food/whatever, if you're searching for it for that super-combo you want to make. I couldn't find a way to do this in the main game, so it just heightens the value of using the companion app alongside it. Throughout the map you can collect "ZDC Upgrades", which I think upgrade the options available, but I never quite figured this out...! I'll leave that to you!

I used the Smartglass companion app on an Android smartphone and a Windows 8 touchscreen laptop with no issues. Personally, I preferred the versatility of using the bigger screen of the laptop as it was much easier to select options, etc. as there are a lot on screen at a time which can get a bit `busy' on a smaller screen.

MULTIPLAYER

Once I'd completed the single-player experience I gave multiplayer a try. Now I can see that this could be awesome if you're playing co-operatively with friends via an Xbox Party, but none of my friends have upgraded to Xbox One yet, so I had to search for an open session to join. I spent a good while staring at waiting/loading screens and on the few occasions I got in, my `teammate' didn't seem particularly interested in working cooperatively and carried on with their own agenda. When we did cooperate however, it was awesome - there was no noticeable lag. However, the potential for the multiplayer is huge, and working cooperatively on the more time-limited game-modes is a must otherwise you will run out of time and die!!

SUMMARY

So yes - never tried zombies before, and frankly I loved it! I know there are some downloadable add-on packs out there, but I decided to trade it in for a different game instead. I hadn't got bored, but just fancied a change. If you're playing cooperatively with friends, this has the potential to be AWESOME. The amount of things you can do on this and the superb integration with Kinect make it (in my opinion) one of the must-plays to showcase Microsoft's new console. Hope this review has been helpful!! I'll try and answer any questions anyone may have...!

3.0 out of 5 stars Same stuff throughout the whole game, 31 Dec 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Rising 3 (Xbox One) (Video Game)

4.0 out of 5 stars Smushing zombies never gets old, the best DR yet., 2 Dec 2013
This review is from: Dead Rising 3 (Xbox One) (Video Game)
The original was one of the first games I played on 360 and got really excited about (there were so many zombies on-screen and it was like being let loose in Dawn Of The Dead) so it's quite fitting that the first game I gave significant time to on the new console was a DR one. Having actively disliked the 2nd game though (I thought it was a frustrating, charmless shambles) I went in with low expectations...

...so was pleasantly surprised when I loved this. So much fun. The sheer amount of zombies kicking around and the sheer amount of ways you can kick them around is just staggering. There's a lot of travelling back and forth across the map, but making up a combo vehicle and mowing through the hordes on your travels never, ever got old for me. The way the game opens is fantastic, throwing you in at the deep end with all sorts of madness literally raining down on you. It's a thrilling opening to the game and outdoes the original's helicopter ride for setting up some atmosphere and sucking you in. Nick is the most likeable lead the series has so far had, with the voice acting and facial animations doing an admirable job of filling him with character. He's a nice chap in a bad situation, and I'm attached to him as a player in ways I never was with Chuck (who was a bit of a cypher).

The quality of voice and character work sadly doesn't extend to the story, and the design of the bosses can be a tad crass. It's aiming for satirical laughs, but the targets are so obvious and stereotypical that it can come off very juvenile. I laughed a lot playing DR3, but the laughs came from the gameplay mechanics and emergent open-world mayhem, and very, very rarely from the writing itself.

Getting every combo/collectible/vehicle is massively addictive, the zombie killing is ridiculously satisfying and the first thing I did on finishing the game was start fresh with my levelled up character and jump straight back in again. There are a bunch of different endings and an epilogue section which I never got on my first run, so looking forward to things panning out differently this time. After that there's still Nightmare mode to consider, which follows the time and save restrictions of the original game more closely so that should be a welcome challenge. So all in I've put a great deal of time into this and will probably get a whole load more play out of it in the months to come. Great stuff and the best the series has been.

Dead Rising 3 (Xbox One)
Dead Rising 3 (Xbox One) by Microsoft (Xbox One)
40.50