Edition: Play and Charge Kit|Change

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 22 November 2013
I will keep this review short and to the point with everything you need to know to base your decision on.

Firstly this is the Official Battery Pack and cable for the Xbox One Wireless Controller. On the back of the controller is the plastic door, which when you slide it off you will find the battery compartment. You can either use 2x AA Batteries or you can place this battery pack into the compartment (the pack neatly fits into the battery compartment and doesn't rattle).

Essentially, when you've installed the battery pack you have a built in battery (with the advantage that it can be replaced later down the road as lets be honest, batteries don't last forever). The micro USB cable that comes with the battery pack is a decent length at 2.8m and feels sturdy, both end connectors are of a high quality and fit into the controller and console well. There is an LED charging light which is yellow while charging and then turns white when fully charged, sadly as of yet you can't check the battery charge level through the dashboard as you use to be able to do on the 360.

Now onto some great news, when the controller is plugged into the console using the charging cable it disables the wireless functionality of the controller and it instantly becomes a fully wired controller, sending both data and taking power from the cable, while at the same time disabling the battery while it charges which takes a total of 4 hours. Even better news is when the console is in standby mode the battery pack can still be charged meaning you don't need to leave the console switched on.

On the issue of how long it lasts on a full charge, well I got this with my console last night at a launch party and played through the night, I would say I've gone around 7 hours and the battery is still going strong! I did ask the manager at GAME and he said they are projected to last around 30 hours on a full charge when new, aided by the fact that the new controller uses "WiFi Direct" technology which is quicker than standard wireless but also uses less power at the same time!

Pros: No more disposable batteries * the battery pack fits well into the controller and doesn't rattle * 4 hours to fully charge and it can charge in standby mode * the cable is a decent length and feels like it will last * good value given how much disposable batteries costs * Last a long time on a charge

Cons: other than not being able to check the charge level through the console there are none.

VERDICT: Some people will say it's wrong that you have to buy a battery pack in the first place and that it should be built in, yet I look at it the other way, if it's built in completely and can't be removed then you have to fork out for a new controller when the battery dies and they're not cheap. I love the fact that when it's plugged into the console you effectively have a wired controller and the fact it can be charged while the console is in standby mode is a bonus. This is essential if you're serious about gaming and it will save you loads of money in the long run as disposable batteries are expensive as we all know!

RECOMMENDED!

UPDATE 8th December 2013: I am consistently getting 22+ hours from the battery, one tip i would give is to remove the battery pack when the controller isn't being used or charged as this does seem to help hold its charge!

UPDATE February 2014: There has since been an update to the Xbox One Console which has added a battery level indicator at the home screen
1313 comments|273 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 January 2015
You play! It charges! That's it!

Xbox controllers devour AA batteries at a slightly annoying rate, so you will want to get a Play & Charge Kit to avoid keeping having to buy batteries, particularly if they run out and you have no new batteries left in the house. This is a one-piece rechargeable battery and a standardish USB cable. I say "ish" because it's got a little light on it, presumably to indicate when it's charging. You can of course use the controller while it's plugged in - that's where the "play" of "play and charge" comes from - but you might also just leave a second controller charging while you play with another, depending how far away your TV is. The cable length is reasonable.
on 8 June 2014
Works perfectly and wire is very long and is very useful especially with a led light to show when the controller is charged
on 1 July 2014
If you have an Xbox one then you need this product it's a life saver. the amount of times I run out of battery's and have to search the house high and low to get one that has been half used. good value for money
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 23 November 2013
This box contains the play and charge wire at 2.8m long, and the play and charge battery pack.
To use the battery pack, slide the plastic door off the rear of the controller and insert, much like you would with 2x AA batteries. Close the door, and you're done.
When the battery is getting low, the Xbox One will inform you. Just plug in the play and charge wire into the mini-USB port on the controller, and the light on the wire will show orange/yellow. When the battery is fully charged, this light will show white.
On the home screen of the Xbox One, you can now see how much battery is remaining in your controller.

This bit of kit will enable you to play non-stop; who wouldn't love that!

OVERVIEW
Would I recommend this product to a friend? Yes
If lost/damaged would I repurchase product? Yes

PROS:
+ Enable you to play all night long...
+ Cable is plenty long enough, even for the largest living rooms
+ Battery pack remains flush with the rear of the controller

CONS:
- None
----------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------
66 comments|32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 March 2014
I'd read a lot of reviews about how long the batteries lasted on the XBOX One when using regular batteries. Now I don't know if I've been gaming too much, but I'd gotten through 6 of the things since getting the XBOX One about a month ago! When they go you start to lose the rumble functionality so I was getting fed up of having to replace "not quite dead batteries".

I almost went for a 3rd party make, but when I'd see a few of the reviews on here quoting 20+ hours of battery time - compared to the 6-8 that the cheaper alternatives were quoting I figured it'd be better to pay a little more and get the official version. It arrived promptly from Amazon as always.

Fits perfectly into the battery bay on the controller, no rattle/gap and no excess weight added. The USB cable which comes with it is a very good length, and has a little LED in the micro USB connector which lights up orange when charging and white when fully charged up. I'd say it takes around 3-4 hours from empty for a full charge.

So far after a week or so of use the battery life is great - now they've added the battery indicator to the OS, its easily lasting the 20 odd hours people have quoted on here. Very pleased with the purchase - not going to get into the whole debate about whether or not it should have been a standard inclusion with the XBOX One - all I can say is I'm doing my part for the environment with this option! ;)

Don't mess around with cheap 3rd party alternatives, stick with the official one in my opinion.
on 6 July 2014
Saves on batteries the micro usb like connector is a pain to get in at times but otherwise does what it is meant to - with this cable it also means that you can update the firmware on your controller.
on 28 January 2015
I'm sort of disappointed because this is an optional extra when you purchase your Xbox One console and it isn't supplied as standard. You would think that if you're forking out around £400-£500 on a product, they would at least supply a rechargeable battery, no?

All-in-all, I am very pleased with this product. I have owned this piece of kit for well over five months and the battery pack continues to hold the charge. Saves me a lot of money, considering I no longer have to worry about the costs of purchasing standard batteries every week or so.
on 8 February 2015
I've been this product for nearly half a year now and it's saved me a fortune in batteries. I don't normally sit too far from my TV so the wired controller dosent really bother me and vastly outweighs the need for annoying batteries, which always seem to run dry at the worst possible times!

The best feature of this product is that the battery pack can be fully charged and then placed in a second controller, whilst keeping the wire in the first controller, allowing for 2 controllers to be used without the need for any batteries whatsoever.

I highly recommend this product for anyone with the intention of using there Xbox one long term. As you will probably make your money back just In battery cost alone!

The battery pack seems to last ages when charged and is a must for any controller.

Great product

Rating 5/5
on 23 March 2015
Having used charge and play on XB360 and grown accustomed to its ease of use, durability and reliability, I approached getting the XBone C&P because of the broadly negative reviews with some level of caution postponing for several weeks and chewing through 4 pack of Duracell a week, but taking the plunge and haven't regrettedit since, reminds me of my old Nokia 3330 in that charging's pretty much once a week despite marathon sessions of GTA5 and COD AW.

Some people have experienced duff battery packs, like a couple of people I know, but their purchases were from other sites claiming authentic MS OEM but the packaging was off in comparison to my purchase, so be aware of knock-offs going around.

Having stuck with MS C&P I'm unable to draw comparisons with other 3rd party alternatives.