Official Xbox One Wireless Controller

TOP 50 REVIEWERon 23 November 2013
This box contains:
- Xbox One controller
- Play and charge wire
- Play and charge battery pack

The Xbox one controller has many new and updated features from the older 360 model. I will attempt to address the main ones below.

The D-pad is lowered and loses its border, the thumb-sticks have shrunk ever so slightly and moved closer together, the four main coloured buttons are now a lot easier to read and the battery pack no longer sticks out but instead is flush with the rear of the controller. Another big difference is that the `Start' and `Back' buttons are replaced with nameless pictures. The right picture, or `Menu' acts as a start button when you need it to, but also brings up contextual menus, dependent on where you are in the dashboard or game. The left button is called `View'. This changes the view in certain games, as well as providing more information when it's available, which so far, rarely is.
The main difference in my opinion are the triggers. They are of a completely different design, and much more `moulded to your finger'. They have individual vibrating motors inside them as well, that sounds a little gimmicky, but works a treat. For example, when playing Forza 5, if your right wheels stray onto rumble strips or onto the grass, just the right side (including the right trigger) of the controller will vibrate. You could almost drive without looking at the screen. Almost. The shoulder buttons have changed too. They are now more of a `click', and seem quite a bit harder to press.
The main `Home' button (the big X in the middle that glows) is now further away from the user, meaning accidental presses in-game are a lot less likely, and it works. A single press of this button will take you back to your main page on the dashboard, this works irrelevant of where you are, and does it really well.
For the hardcore competition gamers, included in this play and charge kit is a cable that will essentially turn the wireless controller into a wired one, as well as charge the included battery pack.

All in all, the new controller is a welcome evolution from the 360's, and feels great in the hand.

OVERVIEW
Would I recommend this product to a friend? Yes
If lost/damaged would I repurchase product? Yes

PROS:
+ Ability to play whilst charging, negating the need to ever stop!
+ All controls just `feel' nicer
+ Vibrating triggers are simply awesome
+ Home button is further away so less likely to knock it
+ A, B, X and Y buttons are much clearer at a glance
+ Battery pack flush with rear of controller

CONS:
- None
----------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------
on 12 August 2014
Bought this when I started to notice a lot of console port games in my steam library that I really wanted to play but hated playing with keyboard mouse, they just didn't feel right that way (Castlevania, Dark Souls etc.)

I could not have gone more right with this purchase, coupled with the fact I plan on getting the Xbox One down the line this purchase left me extremely happy. The controller works fine on my Windows 7 machine (thanks to the drivers released earlier this year) and it is an extremely comfortable controller. I never owned nor do I currently own an Xbox machine once the PS1 came out I've always played Sony consoles (excluding brief summer swap for N64 for friend). This controller just fitted perfectly and hitting the right buttons in combo based games came naturally so if you've never used Xbox style controllers before don't worry they are very intuitive and comfortable.

Shelling out the extra cash for the playing and charge kit was also an easy decision. Buying batteries regularly is just not something I wanted to do. My controller is plugged into my PC all day everyday no heating issues or anything like that..

I don't know what more to say really, you can't go wrong on this item.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 23 November 2013

The D-pad is lowered and loses its border, the thumb-sticks have shrunk ever so slightly and moved closer together, the four main coloured buttons are now a lot easier to read and the battery pack no longer sticks out but instead is flush with the rear of the controller. Another big difference is that the ‘Start’ and ‘Back’ buttons are replaced with nameless pictures. The right picture, or ‘Menu' acts as a start button when you need it to, but also brings up contextual menus, dependent on where you are in the dashboard or game. The left button is called ‘View’. This changes the view in certain games, as well as providing more information when it’s available, which so far, rarely is.
The main difference in my opinion are the triggers. They are of a completely different design, and much more ‘moulded to your finger’. They have individual vibrating motors inside them as well, that sounds a little gimmicky, but works a treat. For example, when playing Forza 5, if your right wheels stray onto rumble strips or onto the grass, just the right side (including the right trigger) of the controller will vibrate. You could almost drive without looking at the screen. Almost. The shoulder buttons have changed too. They are now more of a ‘click’, and seem quite a bit harder to press.
The main ‘Home’ button (the big X in the middle that glows) is now further away from the user, meaning accidental presses in-game are a lot less likely, and it works. A single press of this button will take you back to your main page on the dashboard, this works irrelevant of where you are, and does it really well.
For the hardcore competition gamers, included in the play and charge kit is a cable that will essentially turn the wireless controller into a wired one, as well as charge the battery pack.

All in all, the new controller is a welcome evolution from the 360’s, and feels great in the hand.

OVERVIEW
Would I recommend this product to a friend? Yes
If lost/damaged would I repurchase product? Yes

PROS:
+ All controls just ‘feel’ nicer
+ Vibrating triggers are simply awesome
+ Home button is further away so less likely to knock it
+ A, B, X and Y buttons are much clearer at a glance
+ Battery pack flush with rear of controller

CONS:
- None
----------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------
on 14 June 2014
I bought this for my PC since they released the drivers and I was a bit disappointing that it can only be tethered through USB and not wirelessly. Other than that, this controller feels great, the sticks feel great, the buttons feel great, the triggers feel great, the D-Pad is awesome and a far cry from the terrible D-Pad that was on the 360. Overall I think this is a worthy purchase and a more than worthy update to the 360 pad, but as I said before this won't work wirelessly yet so if you're PC gaming on a couch it's best to hold for the updated drivers.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 18 September 2014
the charging cable is good, the controller i cannot moan about either as good as a standalone purchase. The battery pack however, after only severals months use the charge pack seems to lose charge way to fast and doesnt seem to charge as quickly i have cycled the pack as recommended but to no avail. probably better than 3rd party items but overall a good purchase just shame about the battery life.
on 5 May 2015
This is hands-down the best modern controller I've used. So I'm about to gush!

Its closest competition, The Dual-Shock 4, is a good controller and it has bells and whistles like a touch pad and a speaker, but I feel it's still playing catch up - or has only just caught up - with the Xbox 360 pad in terms of comfort and feel. This controller on the other hand, improves on the 360 pad design in almost every way -

Shape:

The controller fits my hands like a pair of gloves. The grips fit right into the contours of my palm, angled just right. its insanely comfortable. There are no hard edges at all within your hands reach, not even a screw hole in this screw-less design. With batteries in, its a nice weight, not too heavy not too light.

Triggers:

The triggers have very little resistance in them, so they feel really responsive and easy to manipulate. They also depress really smoothly and are practically silent in operation. The trigger rumble is a great addition.

D-Pad:

The Xbox 360 controller's shame, the d-pad, is now a distant memory as the Xbox One controller has a fantastic cross-shape d-pad. It also seems to be mechanical, feeling premium with its satisfying clicks. This reminds me a little of the GBA Micro's d-pad which I loved, although that d-pad was obviously a bit small. This Nintendo-approved shape for d-pads is my favourite, so for me this is as good as it gets.

Other Buttons:

The face buttons and bumper buttons feel largely the same as the 360, they've been slightly reshaped and theres a nice 3d effect in the face buttons, but i don't think they did as much here. Which brings me to my only real criticism - if I just have my index finger on a trigger, its slightly awkward to reach the bumper above it. This is the same as the 360 controller, and they've not fixed it. The Dual-Shock 4 doesnt have this problem. I have big hands, so your mileage may vary, and you do get used to it, I use the underside of my knuckle to hit them.

Sticks:

The sticks are great, but not too much different than the 360 controller's. The top of the sticks are slightly smaller than before but they feel premium, with smooth accurate movement and a nice grip texture on top.

Battery:

Battery life from a pair of AAs has seemed to drop a little from the 360 controller, I think probably largely due to more rumble motors and a upgraded wireless signal, but you could get some ridiculously high capacity rechargeable batteries and compared to the optimistic 6 hours I get from my Dual-Shock 4, it's fine!

It can also be used on pc by connecting it up with a standard Micro USB cable. You can get the drivers on the Microsoft website.

Fantastic 5/5
on 23 May 2015
Left stick defective on two controllers following light use after 18 months - doesn't stand up at all well to FIFA... Now out of warranty although many people online (including xbox support forums) experiencing the exact same issue so appears to be a design fault / weakness. Given these issues I would hope MS would have developed a more robust left stick although from talking to Amazon I'm not sure this is the case and now reluctant to buy replacement of the same poor quality. No other option to continue using the console though. :(
on 10 December 2013
As a long-time fan and user of Xbox 360, I have fallen in love with its controller. I thought it is the best controller around, period.

Until I bought the Xbox One. The new controller for Xbox One is even more ergonomic and convenient in hand. Every inch of the controller got better - from the shape, more responsive sticks, dramatically better triggers to beautiful Xbox One logo. :-)

The first day or two I needed to get used to it, now it is hard to take the Xbox 360 controller - it is just worse. :-)

In the box you will find the controller, battery pack, charging cable (micro-USB with LED indication) and some Xbox Live Gold 2-day trial. The battery pack is Li-Ion (AT LAST!), incorporated into the controller body, cable is very long, thin. Improvements all around...
review image
on 9 October 2014
First of all, a commendable service and value for money from Amazon: £32 item and Free Super-Saver delivery arrived within 72 hours after purchase.

The controller is a more sleek, cleaner and comfortable upgrade to the XBOX 360 controller I owned for more than four years. For PC use, I appreciated the ability to use any micro-USB cable to power it, and when I was done I simply removed the cable and stored the controller elsewhere. The micro-USB cable is not included, but costs vary from £1-onwards.

Those who are purchasing the controller are either existing XBOX One owners looking for additional controller so this review may contain things they already know/felt, or they are PC gamers looking to diversify from their previous PS3, XBOX 360 or even PS4 controllers, or even new customers aiming to buy their first controller.

As a PC gamer, I wanted to know how this new controller (referred here as XB1) compares to the old controller (referred here as XB360) in terms of feel. The triggers in the XB1 controller feel lighter, but with enough resistance to modulate the triggers accurately. The longer shoulder buttons in the XB1 means your index fingers wrap fully around the buttons rather than your fingers having to arch further outwards to find the click, as was the case with the XB360 controller. It feels great in the hand with less obstruction from the D-pad in comparison to the raised D-pad and central XBOX home button of the XB360 model.

With the new D-pad, up, down, left and right is now easier to press. For games that use the diagonal directions, you must press up-left, up-right, down-left and down-right, therefore requiring two-button presses and hoping it was pressed cleanly. This is certainly manageable, but not as easy as it was with the XB360 controller.

The thumb grips are slightly smaller, but have ridges around the edges which provide much better grip, and the larger indentation allows better placement for your thumb to ensure it does not move out of place. They have less resistance when moving than the XB360 controller, but I found it to be adequate and precise because the previous XB360 model would not be as smooth for the entire directional range.

The XYAB buttons feel the same as the previous model, but appear less like a toy button-box as this new XB1 controller features a black backdrop to the coloured letters.

For PC users, I made a comparison with the PS4 controller which had weak and straight triggers, flat buttons and the D-Pad was in the wrong place (in this gripped position your thumb physically has more range going outwards rather than inwards), so it was less ergonomic, but I liked the touchpad feature which was very innovative, though not usable in most current games for the PC and of course, cannot be used on the XBox One.

Overall, for something of this quality, at this price, it is unbeatable and I look forward to many years ahead in the future with this controller. It really helps that Microsoft now officially support it meaning for the PC it is the only truly new-generation plug-and-play controller for all of the current games. I would definitely recommend this controller as the number one choice.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 8 July 2014
I bought this product solely to play on the PC once the drivers came out. I loved the X360 controller when I played on X360 - and even when I transitioned to the glorious platform that is PC - and didn't believe that it could be improved upon. Boy was I wrong.

The finish is very nice, and the controller sits comfortably in the hands with nicely sized and textured analog sticks. I do have a small gripe, that being that I fail to understand the need to rename the "Start" and "Back" buttons, but maybe that's just me.

I rarely use a controller to play as I rarely play games that I believe to have a better experience whilst using a controller, but when I do play these games this is the controller for me. Would absolutely recommend if you enjoyed the X360 controller but wish to move onward to another controller.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...