5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written
A fantastic novel, written with skill and an attention to detail. A perfect read for anyone who even has a passing interest in post apocalyptic literature. The characters are extremely well created and intelligently written. The story moves at good pace and there are enough plot twists to keep you interested without becoming predictable.

Overall this a a...
Published 22 months ago by Thomas Mitchell

1.0 out of 5 stars RIP OFF AMAZON
I was trawling through looking for interesting free books and came across this one. I really fancied it and as a bonus it was free. As soon as I clicked the 'Buy with one click' button - Amazon changed the price on screen to £1.99. Not a lot for a good read but still a complete con!
Published 20 months ago by Richard

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, 27 May 2013
This review is from: Gabriel's Watch - Book One: The Scrapman Trilogy (Kindle Edition)

Overall this a a fantastically written piece and I will definitely buy the sequel when it is released.

5.0 out of 5 stars Damn good book, 24 July 2013
Mr. C. R. Greaves (UK) - See all my reviews
Picture the Jack Reacher stories in a futuristic post apocalyptic setting- the author has a touch of Lee Child about his style. A very enjoyable story, written in the popular tough guy style, but with humour and imagination. Very nice Mr Fregger, I look forward to the rest of the trilogy.

To mark this book down to 1 star (as one reviewer did) because Amazon charge 1.99 for it is diabolical, this book should be among the popular author selections, listed at 7.99! Some people should not have a 'review' button..

5.0 out of 5 stars The author name checks harder than the writers of the avengers and that saying something!, 1 April 2014
Fantastic really well written. I applaud the authors ability to pull this off. My assumption is that this is his first publication, and again I have to say well done.

Its low price on amazon wont last, so if you like your sci fi based on earth scattered with robots, clones, and aliens then give this one a go.

The author name checks harder than the writers of the avengers and that saying something Batman, Alice in wonder land, just to mention just a few. But it works, oh so well!

I have to give a shout out to Lacey, for recommending this one to me. Good call!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Held my interest with a solid grip!, 17 Jan. 2014
This book stood the "don't read the blurb first" test. I couldn't remember downloading the sample on my Kindle and had no clue what it was about - I just went in to see if it could keep me turning. And it did.

Here we have our main character Miles - once a mechanic and family man - who now lives in a junkyard which he calls home. He gets by surviving on the meagre rations his post-apocalyptic world has to offer. With few friends and many enemies, venturing far from home is a risk, but he does, and out there he finds more than he bargained for.

To say any more would be giving away too much, but Gabriel's Watch is bleak for the most part, leaving the reader with no sense of security even when things look like they're going well. You're always anticipating something is about to go wrong, and it often does though never in the way you predict.

You never get to relax; the author throws in enough twists to keep you on edge. Much like Cormac McCarthy's The Road, you're left, a lot of the time, in the company of the main characters.

Which brings me onto my few gripes with the story. Despite getting to know the characters, I just couldn't gel with them the way I wanted to. That's not to say I wasn't engaged, but I definitely felt a bridge there.
The author creates set ups for his character to judge others in what I assume is an attempt to get the reader to sympathise with Miles and his anger towards the antagonists. There's nothing wrong with this, but it's too easy for me. The antagonists just become fodder. Yes, I think that was my problem: glassy-eyed antagonists.

What I'm trying to say is, in a dog-eat-dog post-apocalyptic world, I would've liked more exploration of the fine lines between "good" and "evil". I think the author, Noah Fregger, accomplished this with his sub-characters Saint John and my fave, Zeke the Robot. Zeke was fantastic as the metallic bodyguard. He had a fully formed personality, odd drives and dangerous weaknesses; I really hope to see more of Zeke in Fregger's Scrapman trilogy.

My other gripe was the relationships. Some took very long to form, which is fine, but I wasn't always convinced. And relationships that were quickly formed and then suddenly destroyed weren't mourned on the basis that "the person was bad, anyway" - or something along those lines.
There are also some corny situations and phrases thrown in here and there but that's my personal humbug!

What I really loved more than anything was Fregger's similes. I hate similes in most stories, especially when they're over used and not done well. But this author does them fantastically. Every time I read one I'd give a quiet sigh and wait for the cliché but it wouldn't come and instead I'd be served an awesome one liner!

Anywho, if you're into post-apocalyptic novels, pick this one up. My gripes may not be your gripes and there are enough plot twists in this to keep you entertained. Whenever you think you know what's going on, you find out you never did. This book has been out for a while now and although is intended to be a trilogy, the second book has yet to come to fruition, but don't let that stop you. Gabriel's Watch still does well as a stand-alone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, 5 Aug. 2013
I enjoyed this book, creating an interesting society in a post-apocalyptic world and would recommend to a friend. However this book is not very long and I wish there had been more to it. Oh well I eagerly await the next installment.

1.0 out of 5 stars RIP OFF AMAZON, 20 July 2013