5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful
I had the opportunity to meet Ms. Morgan--a.k.a. Ms. Cupcake--at the Northern Vegan Festival in Manchester, and I bought some of her cupcakes. Once I came down from the sugar high, I knew I had to get a copy of her book. Never have I tasted such amazing cakes, vegan or otherwise. They were gorgeous, too.

While this cookbook doesn't boast hundreds of recipes,...
Published 23 months ago by Michelle Laurie

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed. ....
I got this as a present from my wish list. I was disappointed as there weren't that many cupcake recipes - only 8 - lots of filler and lots of other cake recipes that were of no interest - I don't know many vegan caje eaters that want a deep fried apple pie! Also the quantities were non standard - most cupcske recipes make 12 - these made 18 'normal' ice cream scoop...
Published 4 months ago by b168

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 24 May 2013

While this cookbook doesn't boast hundreds of recipes, the recipes it does have are so rich and decadent, and offer something different from the other vegan baking books out there. I have several, and I count this one as a great addition; it's not simply more of the same.

Here are a few of the things I love about this book:
* It's beautiful! There are photos of just about every recipe.
* Measurements are given both in grams as well as cups/spoons.
* The chart at the front of the book giving ingredient type and brand equivalents for US and UK bakers.
* A list of UK stockists at the back of the book.
* A blend of English and American recipes. (Jaffa Cakes and Jammy Dodgers...doesn't get much more English than that.)
* It doesn't rely heavily on egg replacer.

Thus far I've made the Lemon Cheesecake Cupcakes, Chocolate Cake (adapted from the Turkish Delight Cake), and Victoria Sponge. Victoria Sponge is a cake I'd not yet had any luck with making vegan. It turned out fantastic. I used the cream cheese icing, and everyone who had it loved it.

Here are a few tips/points to consider with this book:

-Most of the recipes call for self-raising flour. I never bother keeping this on hand. Instead, I substitute. For every 1 cup of self-raising, use 1 cup of regular flour + 1 teaspoon baking powder + ¼ teaspoon salt (this is why the recipes do not call for salt). This is in addition to the baking powder called for in the recipe.

-From what I've seen, the recipes don't call for sifting. I usually sift flour. I occasionally sift icing sugar if it's a bit lumpy, and I *always* sift cocoa powder. For flour, I often just stir it with a whisk, which does pretty much the same thing.

-I've always needed to add about 10 minutes to the suggested baking times.

-I find the icing recipes make an enormous quantity, so have always cut them in half. For the Victoria Sponge, where I only wanted a small amount, I quartered it. Worked great.

I've compiled a list of all the recipes so you can see what you'll get:

-Cupcakes & Muffins-

Strawberry Buttercream
Chocolate Spread Topping

-Cakes-

Victoria Sponge
Turkish Delight (can be made as a chocolate cake)
Rhubarb and Custard Cake

Deep-Fried Chocolate Bars
Deep-Fried Cookie Dough Balls
Various Easy Sweet Treats

5.0 out of 5 stars great buy, 27 July 2013
Daughter just found out dairy intolerant everything we have tried so far is brilliant
even 10 year old granddaughter made some and got 2nd place in village fete

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 24 May 2013
I cannot recommend this book enough. It's for all cake lovers not just us freaky eaters.
The recipes are easy to follow and don't require loads of specialist ingredients, you've probably got most of it in your cupboards already.
I've only had the book a week and already blitzed through most of the cupcake recipes, one muffin and the lemon slice.
I love having this much cake back in my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 23 May 2013
Purchased this recipe book as I am a vegan & it's amazing!
So easy to follow (I am a complete novice and I haven't gone wrong yet!) and all the ingredients are easy to purchase in any normal supermarket.
So far I have made vanilla & mint choc chip cupcakes, blueberry & lemon loaf and Victoria sponge.
All are gorgeous! Can't wait to start on muffins and cookies!
Buy this book! It's simply amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Cakes!, 16 May 2013
As an allergy sufferer with a sweet tooth, this book is my saving grace! I have struggled for a few years with vegan baking, but the struggle is over. So many tasty recipes to try out and the cakes both look and taste fantastic. The recipes are easy to follow and the methods well explained. Will be recommending to anyone else I come across with the same problems that I face!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great addition to any Vegan Cookbook Collection !, 29 Dec. 2014
Kenkonti "Little-bit-of-bread-and-no-cheese" (Chelmsford, England.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
MS Cupcake: The Naughtiest Vegan Cakes in Town is a great addition to any vegan cookbook collection. It's nicely put together, with clear and easy to follow instructions, and most important of all - the recipes work. Having not had any success with previous attempts at dairy-free baking I can now produce delicious cupcakes. This is primarily due to the 'Guide to Baking' chapter at the beginning of the book, which points out a few simple techniques to follow when cake making - simple they may be, but they can certainly make the difference between successful and unsuccessful results.

First thing to note about this book is that it is not all cupcakes, in fact there are only nine cupcake recipes here. It is in fact a recipe book of all different cakes, and I have listed the contents in more detail at the end of my review. When I purchased the book I thought it was a cupcake recipe book. Having swooned with delight when sampling one of MS Cupcakes at the London Vegfest I wanted to have a go at making my own, so I was initially disappointed that the book wasn't full of recipes for cupcakes. But now I am fine with that, because once you know the basic techniques of making the sponge and icing then it doesn't take a lot of imagination to vary the ingredients and come up with whatever cupcake you want. . . . . . . .also, the other cake recipes in the book look very good too so I'll definitely be having a go at some of them.

So what does the book consist of? First of all it has the previously mentioned, and very important 'Guide to Baking' chapter which I would definitely recommend reading. Covering topics such as non-dairy ingredients and options, cooking guidelines and techniques, baking problems, and a U.K vs U.S terminology chart. And then it has the recipes, the types of which I have listed below - happy vegan baking!

9 Cupcakes.
2 Loafs.
1 Mini-Cake.
1 Lemon Curd Slice.
5 Sweets.
6 Fried Dessert Assortment (Doughnuts,Fritters,Pies, etc).
6 Cookies/Biscuits.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Vegan Cake Book, 6 Jun. 2013
Excellent recipes, which all work to perfection and all taste fantastic!
The chocolate brownie recipe is the best ever!
Instructions are clear and the tips and hints on successful baking were really helpful.
I have a freezer full of cupcakes and tray bakes as I can't stop moving onto the next recipe!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book ever!!!, 25 Aug. 2013
I have gluten sensitivity, an allergy to dairy and funny with eggs,
I have tried lots of recipes, but these are by far the simplest and Best gluten free vegan recipes i have ever tried!

You must buy this book! It really is Amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST vegan cakes EVER!!, 24 May 2013
I am not vegan but my daughter has allergies to eggs and dairy. I have tried many vegan and eggless cake recipes to which often come out dense, crumbly or just taste odd.

Yesterday I made the Victoria sponge, the texture was light and fluffy and it tasted just as good (if not better) as any other cake made with eggs and butter. My search for the perfect eggless cake has ended and I intend to work my way through most of these recipes. I am looking forward to the second edition

Tip - If you do not intend to decorate your cakes with buttercream and icings then add more sugar to your cake batter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!, 19 July 2013
The recipes I have tried so far are amazing and very easy to make and great results every time - best vegan Victoria sponge cake recipe ever!
A beautifully presented book.