5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
Published 20 months ago by Viv

1.0 out of 5 stars left me with a tooth cavity
This book handles a subject like abuse in a sickly, sycophantic way. The relationship between the main girl and boy was unrealistic and left me feeling like I had overdosed on chocolate and sugar. A shame.
Published 7 months ago by Mrs Sharon P Green

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 10 May 2013
This review is from: Love Notes (Kindle Edition)
The story highlighted the very real issue of verbal abuse or as social services would call emotional abuse, which is very hard to actually prove but it is as damaging and destructive as any other form of abuse. This book did an amazing job of describing the effect that verbal abuse has on somebody, especially after prolonged periods. Great book and all credit to the author for dealing with this very sensitive issue.

1.0 out of 5 stars left me with a tooth cavity, 7 Jun. 2014

2.0 out of 5 stars predictable, 22 May 2013
This review is from: Love Notes (Kindle Edition)
for some reason i kept reading it even though it was cliched and amateured from the very beginning. It felt like a generic book, characters were underdeveloped, story line was also underdeveloped...how can anyone say they love another person after only knowing them for three days? couldnt really relate to the main character, her attitiude was quite frustrating.

Many, many editing errors, spelling mistakes etcetera..

4.0 out of 5 stars "Self-worth: the sense of one's own value or worth as a person; self-esteem; self-respect.", 19 May 2013
This review is from: Love Notes (Kindle Edition)
Wow. What an emotional story this turned out to be. I fully expected the angst that comes with books centered around characters in high school, but Love Notes was something altogether more than that. You can't turn on the news nowadays without hearing a story about bullying. This is a hot topic at the moment, but in Love Notes the bullying comes from the most unlikely of places. Charlie's own parents.

I want to make this clear right off the bat, before I go any further. I have never hated two characters more in my entire life. Charlie's parents are straight from the pits of hell. Her father, more so than her mother, but both are equally to blame in my eyes. The emotional abuse that is thrust upon Charlie is more than anybody could ever handle, let alone a teenager. And the sad part is that I can so see this type of scenario playing out in many families. Maybe not all to the highest degree, such as in Charlie's case, but emotional abuse is a real issue faced by many people. And Heather Gunter has managed to take a quite series topic, and find a way for her character to find acceptance and love through the help of others. I truly hope that if somebody who faces this issue is able to read this book, and that it helps them to know there is life after the abuse.

"I pull my iPod out of my backpack and plug it in. It's the first thing I do every time I get in it, like a ritual. Music soothes the soul; at least it helps soothe mine."

Okay, now with the hard hitting message out of the way, let us talk about the characters. Charlie and Maverick. Charlie is so very sweet, kind and exactly what any well being parents would wish for as a daughter. Maverick is also sweet, understanding, and considerate. Even with him being the star quarterback, he is not what you would expect if you were to think of this type of character.

Together they are adorable, and they had me smiling on more than one occasion. This is very much a Young Adult title and I am happy to see that nothing it taken too far. I mean don't get me wrong, I love my steamy romances but I do believe there is a limit as to how far romance should be pushed for characters at this age. And Love Notes has just the right amount of romance, and may I add it is so very sweet. We are talking hearts, flowers and of course love notes.

"How is it that a kiss can say so much?

Saying I love you is huge, but to kiss someone who has told you that means everything. A kiss speaks the truth, and I know. I know in his kisses, that he means every single word."

The side characters, Tori and Will are both loveable. Tori is one hell of a friend to Charlie, and as soon as they met I knew they would be best friends for life. They just click, and I was so happy that Charlie found that bond because God knows she has never had it before. Will is completely smitten with Tori, but as we find out they did try to date once. Something happened however, and their feelings for each other are a constant undercurrent in this book. Thankfully they will get to tell their own story in Heart Strings, which at the time of this review is due to be published in September 2013.

"Shutting the door, I look around and see clusters of groups all over the parking lot. Every school is different. You generally have your skaters, preps, jocks with cheerleaders of course, nerds and over achievers. I also see a heard of rednecks, it's Georgia after all."

Now for my only criticism. Love Notes really could have benefited from being a bit longer. I get the whole 'insta love' thing and to be honest it really doesn't throw me for a loop. When I read I am the queen of suspension of disbelief. I read for enjoyment, and as long as I am enjoying myself I do not find it hard to believe most things. So, no... the fact that Charlie and Mav instantly fall in love is not my issue. I just feel like the characters would have benefited from a bit more substance.

As mentioned above, the book really centers around a serious topic. I think if it would have been made longer and the characters were introduced to each other at a bit more slower pace, it would have benefited the overall story. Did the insta love ruin it? No of course not. These are just my thoughts on what would have improved an already great story.

"Charlie looks at me, like she wants to say something, but she then seems to decide against it. "Maybe I'll see you later," she says as she walks by.

I holler back at her, "Oh, you'll see me."

Overall, I really enjoyed Love Notes, and I truly believe it will go on to help people who face emotional abuse. The story is heart warming, and in the end you will be happy with the journey it has taken you on.

Christine
Rainy Day Reads

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, 6 May 2013
This review is from: Love Notes (Kindle Edition)
Loved the story of this book so heart wrenching to I have had my fair share of bullying luckily not by my parents,mav and Charlie are so good for each other cant wait for second book fab young adult book.

5.0 out of 5 stars worth a read, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Love Notes (Kindle Edition)
Well written so much so I was gripped from the start worth a read, sad lovely and happy young life's

5.0 out of 5 stars nice holiday read, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Love Notes (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed the book. I liked it so much that bought the second one this morning. It's written for the younger audience I believe but it was an enjoyable read.
I got caught up in the lives of the main characters & wanted to know they would be ok

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Love Notes (Kindle Edition)
this was a really good book can't wait to read the next one definitely one to read
fanatstic Must get

5.0 out of 5 stars Geo, 13 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Love Notes (Kindle Edition)
Very interesting read the story was a bit upsetting and the characters were interesting and believable if you know what I mean the romance was lovely and the happy ever after was great.

5.0 out of 5 stars I cried and cried, 9 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Love Notes (Kindle Edition)
I am 50 years old and still have the mental/emotional scars, This story was difficult to read, impossible to put down (for me anyway) and has given me a little bit of inner peace. Thank you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›