Format: Audio CDChange

OH La La! Vogue records was a French Lable that soon realised that Les Anglais sold as fast as hot croisanttes on Bastile Day so they soon expanded in the the cash rich Teenagers of the 1960s.

But Amazon have cramped all the tracks and the artists making it hard for people like me to decypher which tracks are actually on the 3 CD set.

SO this may be useful?

23.But Officer-Sonny Knight with Orchestra
24.What Will I Gain-The Sharps
25.Yellow Bird-Arthur Lyman

CD3
1.Peanut Butter-The Marathons (Now call the Snickers?)
2.Dance With A Dolly...- The Olympics
22.Lillie Mae-The Cupids
23.The Twist-The Olympics
24.Ain't I Talkin' To You Baby- Sheri Washington & Band
25.Cherie-The Jivers
26. Peak of Perfection - Evie Rest and The Sherpas.

It's a sad thought that many of these artist will now have passed away after over 50 years or more since the tracks were originally recorded.

In a way it's really good that when we hear them again today we can think back to the original artists.
It would be nice if you could say a little prayer for them. Like the add for Tesco says `Every little helps'.
33 comments12 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vogue was originally a French label, formed to release jazz stuff, with which I have no truck. By 1951, it was a UK label and if you Google Vogue UK, we're informed that it released the first 7" 45 in the UK - moot point - being Shirley & Lee's 1956 "Let The Good Times Roll" (found on the earlier One Day release, "Let The Good Times Roll: The Aladdin Story", worth another four stars). So Vogue (UK) was a conduit for many US labels, here mainly Aladdin, with its subsidiary Lamp, plus a few others from such as Duke, Peacock and Arvee. As you'd expect, it's rammed full of r&b, doo-wop, and a smattering of black r&r (including the mighty Big T Tyler). Some typical teen r&r from Scott Engel, who morphed into Scott Walker. Turds in the swimming pool would have to be the Calimbo Steel Band, totally out of context, closely followed by the mellow vibes of Arthur Lyman. There is some crossover of tracks with the previously mentioned Aladdin set, as indicated, well worth getting if you're into 50s r&b/r&r, not too much to worry about, what with 125 cuts across the two sets. Silly money, too. Sound quality, as ever, averages out as excellent, possibly because they master from previously released CDs. Pity about the thumbnail sketches that pass as liner notes and need for teeny print. My only three concerns/complaints, preventing five star 'reviews'.
on 26 June 2013
This set of CD's has 75 tracks on 3 CD's. There are some classic tracks such as 'Little Bitty Pretty One' by Thurston Harris, and 'Pledging My Love' by Johnny Ace, but also lots of tracks which are not so familiar. Recommended listening.
on 3 January 2014
This is probably the best issue in all of One Day's label stories and includes some real gems hard to find on CD, including The Sharps, The Tantones and The Jivers, although it's a shame that Thurston Harris' stormer "Be Baba Leba" is mastered too fast - by a full 10 seconds! Having purchased some of One Day's other releases, I was expecting the sound quality to vary considerably, however, not so. My only real complaint is that some of the songs could do with more treble to brighten their sound. The only other comment I will make is that the Arthur Lymon and the Calimbo Steel Band tracks are totally out of place on this set. What was the compiler on when he threw these 2 into the mix?? Thank goodness for the skip button!
on 19 May 2013
i have only heard a few of the tracks on this 3cd set.
they are all classics so if the rest is half as good.
this is well worth buying, for less than 10p a song.
that probably works out as the price of a single in 1960.
0Comment9 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 July 2015
only played disc 1 so far but when you take out the crap ( you always get some on these record story albums ) then you are left with a lot of good stuff that even I ain't heard before
on 27 December 2013
great.bit of oldies music, Love this old stuff this sort of sound will always be around. it is always nice to here
on 15 July 2013
Found some rare stuff I didnt think I would see again, magic would highly rccommend (especially if you were around when they first came out)
on 17 July 2014
A very good collection of oldies, which is good to reminisce with. Good value for money.