5.0 out of 5 stars A great read
Published 10 months ago by Gerard Martin

3.0 out of 5 stars Every Inch of the Way
The title, Every Inch of the Way, comes from Tom Bruce’s self imposed rule for his trip. He had to ride every inch of land from sea to sea across each land mass. (Obviously oceans and seas required assistance.) There are several things I hope to get from a book of this type; the sense of adventure, a feel for the logistics of such a trip, and both the highs and...
Published 6 months ago by BigAl

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: Every Inch of the Way; My Bike Ride Around the World (Kindle Edition)
Tom I absolutely loved this book, I am planning to do my own world cycle in 2015 and this book has only increased my determination. This book captures all of the excitement, challenges, hardships and fun that a journey like this can offer. I congratulate you on completing your challenge and sharing this amazing story with us. I am sure I will refer back to it quite a lot whilst planning my own trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired me to set out on my own bike trip!, 16 Oct 2013
Tom's story is one of adventure and he shares with us a journey that many of us dream of doing. He brings to life the many cultures he experienced along the way and shares insights into the highs and lows being on the road day in day out. Often funny, particularly the contributions from Tom's travelling companions, but also thought provoking, I found this an enjoyable read.

If you dream of far off lands this book is for you. It was part of the inspiration that made me start out on my own bike trip - need I say more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating - around the world in an armchair., 13 Jun 2013
Fascinating read even for a non-cyclist. Tom Bruce has captured the spirit of all the places he visited and and put them on the map for everyone to enjoy. We get all the excitement without leaving the comfort of our own home. I might even take up cycling!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely delightful read, 11 Jun 2013
A friend recommended I got this book and I was was not disappointed. It is an honest account of a true adventure written in a very unpretentious but compelling manner. It's a story told in his own words and gives an interesting and amusing insight into what it must be like to circumnavigate the world by bike. Now I don't know much about cycling but I know a thing or two about books and I can't recommend it enough for anybody interested in armchair adventures or those wishing to embark on a cycle tour. Well done Tom Bruce.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic journey, 22 May 2013
I have followed Tom Bruce via twitter so decided to sample his book "Every inch of the way" on Kindle. The first 10 pages hooked me so I bought the whle thing.

Im a big fan of the late Anne Mustoe and alwaus enjoyed her descriptions of places and eventd but Tom has a very different style to her. Where Anne talks about the historical significance Tom describes the actual ride, his camping spots and the food he eats along with some detail of the landscape.

As someone who aspires to make this journey, Tom's book has inspired me further. His description of the 'stans' and the Pamir highway make.me want to grab my bike and set off tomorrow.

This has been a great read and I completed the book in one session. I commend it to anyone with an interest in cycling or travel

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating., 16 Nov 2013
I'm sure I will never do a journey like this,however I felt I was on the journey reading this book. This is the best cycling adventure book that I have read.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good reading,, 13 Nov 2013
like I have said it is a very good book, never boring,well balanced between adventure and cycling journey.
along the pages we can see the differences and similarity from countries to countries.congratulation Tom
well done.also the paper is good quality and white ,,you think it is not important but as far as I concern it is easier to read ,I have bought book with yellow pages and sometime the letters are so small you need a magnificent to read it ,but Tom book are great quality .

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and inspiring read, 9 Sep 2013
Although I got annoyed with carrying more than a small backpack when I go cycling , this made me want to dig out some panniers and set out on an epic adventure. The narrative trips along nicely and the author comes across as a very modest rather than constantly trying to prove how 'extreme' he is , which is a failing of a lot of similar travelogues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Inch of the Way, by Tom Bruce, 30 May 2013
This cycling travel book is a real breath of fresh air. From the moment I picked it up and started reading the introductory pages about Tom's motivation and his approach to the trip and writing about it, I was hooked. The writing is very direct and engaging, it just draws you in, so you feel you are perched on his panniers, looking at the world he travels across not just through his eyes, but almost as if you are there yourself.

It is also refreshing because it is not about someone trying to make a career for themselves by doing some spectacular stunt, there are no physiotherapists for the first 1000 miles, and there is no backup apart from his stay-at-home (more or less) parents, and his loyal girlfriend taking a few bike parts out to their infrequent meetings. Although Tom modestly says he didn't set out to break any records, I wonder how many people have cycled solo across the desert east of Aktau? It doesn't really matter, as his description of that draws you in to an amazingly powerful account of a young man testing his determination and physical endurance to the limits. Passages such as that one, the traverse of the Pamir Highway, endless encounters with extraordinary hospitality and fellow travellers, the crazy monotony of cycling half-finished Chinese motorways to escape the trucks, and the almost surreal contrast of then crossing the USA, all add up to a great travel read.

I was bereft when Tom and Harry reached the Florida coast, and it was all over. Really looking forward to Tom's next adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Motivational, Funny As Hell!, 11 May 2014
A great book which I found difficult to put down. Very funny, and I read most of this with a smile on my face, even if the humour was sometimes slightly schoolboy.