5.0 out of 5 stars Another Little Gem, 11 May 2013
This review is from: Writing Characters Who'll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel (Kindle Edition)
Some time ago I read Roz Morris's first Nail Your Novel book, (Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and How You Can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence)which gives advice on what to do with a first draft and how to work on it so that you don't end up hurling the dratted thing into the shredder and taking up crochet instead.
It so impressed me with its step-by-step guide and common sense that when I saw the author had published this follow up I bought it without even reading the blurb.
Nail Your Novel: Bring Characters To Life is another gem of a book from Roz. Easy to read and broken down into manageable sections it helps you to create believable characters who won't just be names on the paper. She carefully steers you away from identikit characters who all sound alike in spite of their different ages, cultures and backgrounds and uses examples from well known novels to help demonstrate successful characterization. She shows you how to create believable dialogue and provides a highly useful toolbox to equip you with all you need to know to engage your readers and make them eager to read on.
Not only does she deal with the protagonists, but she also helps you to think about the secondary characters and shows how to create a whole cast that will ring true and ensure that your main characters are not existing in solitary confinement. Heroes and heroines that are not too heroic, villains that are not too villainous, avoiding the stereotype and cliche, the importance of realistic dialogue, all these and much more are covered in this fabulous book, and it's all written in an easy to understand language that doesn't make you clutch your forehead and reconsider the crochet.
An essential reference for the would-be writer, I would recommend it without hesitation. Make sure you get the first book, too, if you haven't already. You need never look at a crochet hook again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for all Writers, 12 Sept. 2013
Wendy Jones "wjones7423" (Dundee, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I have been following Roz Morris's writing blog and found it to be choc full of advice for writers. This led me to her books and this one in particular. What a find it turned out to be. This is a simple book but do not let this fool you that it is not good. I have read many books on writing and I would say this contains some of the best advice on writing characters. All characters are considered, both the main characters and the supporting cast. Every aspect of characterisation is covered. These are supported with examples from fictional writers. There is an excellent chapter on the mistakes that novice writers make. Each chapter ends with a section called for your toolbox. These are tips which re-emphasise the important points made in the chapter. The book concludes with some writing exercises, some of which are novel in the extreme. No pun intended. I certainly intend to try many of them out. If you want to lift your characters out of the humdrum and use them to give your book zing and tension then this is the book for you. I would consider this a recommended book in my arsenal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it!, 16 Jan. 2014
Really meaty advice. Am not usually a fan of character questionnaires but the in this book really asks the kind of searching questions that really help you get to know your character. Packed with interesting advice and suggestions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book. Highly recommend it for authors., 28 Nov. 2013
This book is inspiring and brilliant for any author to own. It made me rethink my approach to characters and helped me turn a scene I'd written into a much sharper and well thought out character piece. Roz is the first person to help me understand 'show, not tell' in a way that doesn't leave me scratching my head in puzzlement. I finally feel like that concept is sinking in and I haven't even finished the book yet. I love the way she writes. It has helped me feel like I can get into the skin of my characters so much easier. Thank you Roz for this little gem of a book. If you haven't bought it, do! No author will regret owning this book. I am looking forward to reading her other Nail Your Novel book and hope she continues the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kept me captivated, 21 Mar. 2014
I'm having trouble showing my main character's thoughts and emotions. I'd heard about Roz's book so decided to invest. I'm so glad I did. In concise language she explains all aspects of building a character. I can now see which parts I'm getting right and how to fix the parts I'm getting wrong. I read it through quickly the first time. It's a page turner! Now I'm going through it section by section to help the info sink in. After that, I have no doubt I'll be dipping into it on a regular basis. I highly recommend it to anyone who is struggling to make their characters shine.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have Book if You Want Writing Nous, 19 May 2013
A new book by Roz Morris is always an event to be celebrated. Whether you're a novice or you've been writing all your life, there's always something new to be gleaned from her gentle, humorous, yet razor-sharp tutorship. Not to mention it's a *steal* at this price. If you want to up your game, writing-wise, buy it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great inspiration, 30 July 2014
Really great tips and advice for the aspiring author. Easy to read and digest, plenty of food for thought. A great writers' manual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite fine., 24 Feb. 2015
Quite fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Mar. 2015
A concise succinct book full of excellent advice.