Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 June 2013
Fantastic offer, The group's best albums and a collection of the rare singles. for new fans a great intro, for old waddies lets roll back the years. If you've not seen the new line up yet, they are well worth a look, the magic has been recaptured.
on 30 August 2014
I have happy memories of going to Showaddywaddy concerts with friends when I was a teenager. What a thoroughly entertaining band they were and probably still are although the original line up is no more. When I saw this boxed set I had to have it. The parcel arrived just as I was about to set off on a long car journey so I had the pleasure of listening to the discs in the car while the miles and years dropped away, bliss. This set has replaced some old vinyl albums and introduced some albums I hadn't heard before and for me there isn't a bad song in the whole package. Fantastic value and beautifully packaged - an absolute gem
on 29 July 2013
THIS BOX SET IS ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC IT CONTAINS 8 SHOWADDYWADDY ALBUMS FROM THEIR DEBUT IN 1973 - THEIR LIVING LEGENDS ALBUM FROM 1983. AS WELL YOU ALSO GET A DOUBLE CD OF A'S & B'S & RARITIES. YOU'LL FIND ALL THE HIT SINGLES THAT WEREN'T ON ANY OF THEIR ALBUMS. YOU GET A NICE PRESENTATION BOX AND A LOVELY BOOKLET. ALL THE CD ALBUMS COME IN REPLICA CARD ALBUM SLEEVES. THIS IS A BRILLIANT PACKAGE AT SUCH A BARGAIN PRICE. SHOWADDYWADDY WERE SO UNDER-RATED. THIS IS A MUST HAVE FOR ANY SWW FAN . I RECOMMEND YOU BUY IT - YOU PLAY IT LOUD! & YOU'LL BE REALLY HAPPY .
on 13 July 2013
Ever since this arrived I have been playing the discs at least once a day. Having all these tracks in one collection is every fans dream and the quality is excellent.The presentation is also brilliant.
on 8 July 2013
I have so many happy memories as a kid listening and watching Showaddywaddy. The first single I ever bought was 'You Got What It Takes' back in 1977 when I was 6. First album I ever received as a present was for my 7th birthday in December 1977 and it was 'Greatest Hits 74-76' and the first concert I ever went to was to see Showaddywaddy at the Market Hall in Carlisle in 1982. From 1977-1981 I always received a Showaddywaddy LP for Christmas or my birthday. It was tradition.

This box set is great. The cds have been remastered and to me they sound better (especially the first 2 albums) than the 7T's releases which came out about a decade ago. Also the slip cases are good which include the gatefold for 'Trocadero' and the coloured inner sleeve for 'Red Star'.

Of course everyone knows the hits but there was more to the band than big selling singles. Their own compositions are up there with the best - Cutie, In Above your Head, Sweet Georgia, The Party, Glory Woman, Pretty Little One, Run For Your Life to name but a few. Personally by the end of 1983 I think their own songs were better than some of the covers they chose to do - 'Alley Oop' from 'Good Times' must be the worst song they ever covered which is a shame because 'Good Times' is my favourite album by them. The title track should've been a single and it would've been a big hit!

I haven't got a least favourite album - I even like 'Living Legends' (if you get over the dated drum machine and keyboards!) All have brilliant tracks on them. To this day I'm surprised that 'Red Star' only reached No.20 in the album charts as it contained 3 Top 5 singles.

The A' & B's cd is worth the price alone. Showaddywaddy had some cracking B-sides - Showboat, One Of These Days, Ever Lovin', I'm A Travelling Man etc Also I'm pleased that 'Why?' & 'Out On The Town' are included.

The Rarities cd is also good but I can't hear any difference to the alternate version of 'Heartbeat'.

The price for this box set is really cheap - less than £3 per disc and you get a detailed booklet with the history of the band and photos. Steve Thorpe has done an amazing job with this and I hope the band appreciate what he's done.

All in all this great value for money.
55 comments|3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 June 2013
I finally got my hands on this bargain collection of £3 per disc definitive showaddywaddy collection of every song ever recorded from 1973 - 1988 and it does not disappoint! The discs are in individual replica sleeves of the original vinyl releases and beautifully presented in a nice box along with a detailed booklet with a foreword from the great man himself - original frontman Dave Bartram. The real gem of the collection for me though is the b sides and rarities discs which include previously unheard versions of some of their hits and album tracks plus unique never before released tracks. Dave Bartram singing `mona lisa` is a great bonus and should have been on the `living legends` album instead of the late Buddy Gasks rather weak version (sorry Buddy). `Pretty little one` alternative version is better than the original version as well as `Nobody Is` and finally a cleaned up version of the brilliant `old habits die hard` (written by Dave Bartram) which sounded distorted on previous recordings but no longer! The Bonus track `Teach you how to rock & roll` is a very rocky track and great to hear for the first time - why it was never ever a single is beyond me.
`
The B sides disc has some gems on it that sound so good on CD -`Cool Cool Cat`, `Really going out of my mind`,`Five minutes more`,Lucy Jane` and `One of these days` being some of my favorites and demonstrating the bands songwriting talents that were often overlooked by the critics claiming the band were just a `covers` band! - Nothing could be further from the truth and the fact that they wrote their first hits makes the critics look very ignorant. I would go so far as to say that if you are not a particular Showaddywaddy fan and think that you know their `sound` then think again as they will greatly surprise you. I have friends who have knocked my love of the bands music and have then played them Showaddywaddy tracks that shut them up! - I could not let this bargain collection pass me by (despite having all the albums and singles on vinyl) and anyone reading this review should not pass up the chance to own a copy of a brilliant british bands colection of songs that will put a spring in your step!
VINE VOICEon 16 July 2013
An absolutely fantastic collection to celebrate Showaddywaddy's 40th Anniversary and good value for money at just over £20.00.

This Box Set updates all of the 7t's Label Releases and was released on 17 June 2013 by Edsel Records.

It contains all of their albums...Showaddywaddy (1974)...Step Two (1975)...Trocadero (1976)...Red Star (1977)...Crepes & Drapes (1979)...Bright Lights (1980)...Good Times (1981)...Living Legends (1983)...Plus a Two CD Set of A & B Sides and Rarities.

What I like about this collection is the CD's are in Mini Vinyl/Album Picture Card Sleeves and are housed in a sturdy box with a Booklet with lots of information and a note written by Dave Bartram.

I have been a fan of Showaddywaddy since 1974 along with my late Brother Pete, 1963-2003.

I would also like to dedicate this collection to the memory of Showaddywaddy vocalist BUDDY GASK 1945-2011.

My only hope now is that Edsel will do a boxed set of The Complete Bay City Rollers.
on 8 September 2014
This is a great collection of Showaddywaddy.All the studio albums in one set,plus loads of extras.

My only slight criticism is the box that houses the discs,yes it is well made,but open at one end.

It is virtually impossible,to get individual albums out,without tipping all of the discs out.I feel the box would have been better with a top that came off,then you would be able to pick each album out.

As a fan of Rock n Roll,i bought Shakin'Stevens - The Epic Masters box set when that came out,it was under £30 but substantially better made than this Showaddywaddy offering.

As i said,it is only a minor criticism,and at the end of day it is all about the great music & at this pricd,it's more than worth it.

Buy it now.
on 7 June 2014
I ordered this awesome collection which includes 10 CDs and was most definitely not disappointed. It is absolutely fabulous and has brought back some very happy memories. If you are into Showaddywaddy in the past this is an absolute must buy item. So what are you waiting for, the 9th disc, A's, B's and rarities is exceptionally good and includes many tracks released as singles that do not feature on the albums released in the 73-88 time window. Buy it now!!
on 18 September 2013
In one sentance, what a fantastic and well put together compilation of this fantastic bands studio work ! I have been an avid fan and follower of the Showads since the late 1970's and have bought their albums on vinyl, tape, CD and now this great box set.

I won't replicate what has already been positively said by others, but if you are a fan of the boys then you should have this briiliantly presented box set to add to your collection, its rather like an encore bringing their studio work together in one shot. The booklet is well documented and thought out giving a snipit of information on each album along with the inspiration of the bands own penned songs!

Well done to everyone involved. Good Days!!