Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 June 2013
Absolutely fantastic! I have been waiting for something like this for years. To have all the bands albums, singles (A and B sides) and rarities under one roof, so to speak, just brilliant! The thought that has gone into this box-set, from the artwork to the clarity of sound on the tracks, is second to none. To have the cd's placed in the original album style covers is a great touch, especially as my vinyls have sadly long gone. This really is a must for all Showaddwaddy fan's, a really lovely little package to own and great value for money.
on 20 June 2013
Where can I start with this box set?

First of all, the actual audio on the CDs, which was primarily mastered from the original tapes and which were retrieved from the archives especially for this release.
Showaddywaddy's original albums were reissued during the 2000s, but were mastered from vinyl. Let me tell you this is streets ahead of those.

When the box set first arrived I headed straight for these tracks:

'Superstar' which, was the b-side to 'When', is a great track but has always had a muffled sound, even on the original release. This version of Superstar is absolutely crystal clear - it's like a completely new song!
'Teenage Love Affair' and 'Lucy Jane' were next - I am only used to hearing these with crackles. No crackles here!
'Tribute' - not everyone's favourite Showaddywaddy track, but to me a brilliant b-side and now in the best quality I've ever heard it.

Even 'Somethin' Else' on the Red Star album - what a difference!

Then we move onto the package itself - a top quality and sturdy box with excellent graphics houses the original albums all in their original sleeves. Not only that, the Trocadero LP has its gatefold reproduced, and even Red Star contains the original inner sleeve that was present in the original 1977 vinyl album.

And to top all this off, we have a bonus CD of rarities from the 70s to the 90s that have never seen the light of day - including instrumentals of 'When' and Pretty Little Angel Eyes' (these were not recorded as karaoke tracks - just part of the recording process where Dave's vocals would later be added in the studio), and versions of 'Mona Lisa' and 'Pretty Little One' which were to be released later, but these are earlier demo versions.

All in all an absolutely superb release. All of songs are given a new lease of life and overall this is a very exciting release which is sure to become a highly sought after collectors item in years to come, especially as only 1,250 are being produced. Get it while you can, you won't be disappointed - it knocks all previous re-releases out of the water by a country mile.

It was a pleasure to be asked to help out with a few bits and bobs with the release (primarily the memorabilia and cuttings scans), and also many thanks to all involved in the project - especially the guys at Demon, Alchemy Mastering, Dave B, Steve T, Chris D - an end product to be proud of.
on 18 June 2013
Well it arrived this morning, what a wonderful item. All 8 of the bands studio albums recorded between 1974-1983 in 1 great set. The replica vinyl sleeves are great, very faithful to the original product, Trocadero has the gatefold sleeve & Red Star even has a replica inner sleeve as on the vinyl release.
The bonus discs are brilliant, the rarities disc was the main reason I bought this set & I am glad I did, some of these 'lost songs' are a treat to hear after all these years, especially a cleaned up version of 'Old Habits Die Hard' which sounds superb. The booklet is lengthy & well written, as a life long fan even I have learned a few things reading it. All the albums sound fresh & considering the first album was recorded an incredible 39 years ago it still makes your speakers dance! I bought all the Cherry Red re-releases as they came out on the 7T'S label but these sound better. If only the people who have knocked the band could get to hear some of this stuff they would change their minds, what a band, possibly one of the most under-rated acts ever to record. Overall an amazing box set at an amazing price, get yourself one ordered now before they are sold out as I believe it is a limited pressing only.
on 14 July 2013
Back in the day I bought most of the Showaddywaddy singles but, as I was actually more into the likes of Mud and the Rollers, I didn't have any of their albums. Having recently watched a rejuvenated Showaddywaddy play some amazing live shows, I decided that the time had come to listen to more of their earlier music and this amazing box set seemed the perfect way to do that.

It has proved to be an excellent buy as the 10 CDs are jam packed with totally brilliant music. There are all the hit songs, such as 'Hey Rock and Roll', 'Trocadero' and 'Under The Moon of Love', but also some absolute gems such as the old Righteous Brothers song 'Soul and Inspiration' plus others actually written by the band -'I Wish That I Could Undo All The Bad That I Have Done' and 'You Will Lose Your Love' Tomorrow being my favourites.

Buy this wonderful collection, enjoy the music and then go and see the band on their 40th Anniversary Tour !
VINE VOICEon 8 August 2013
Until quite recent I thought Showaddywaddy were a bit naf,but after hearing a Greatest hits set I have completely changed my mind and invested in this set.
It is great value,8 albums,10 cds for a little over £2 each plus a booklet that gives details on each album.To make this set extra special a DVD would have have been a bonus but that aside this is still excellent value.
There are a lot of covers but the real gems are the self penned tracks mainly written by fromtman Dave Bartram(who is also a brill singer).
These box sets of multiple albums are great if you don't own anything by the artist.
This set will give you hours of enjoyment by a very polished band and I will be checking out their later albums released after 88.
on 19 June 2013
I was asked to compile this 40th Anniversary boxset by Dave Bartram and Edsel in Dec 2012. Luckily I was given total access to the SWW original production masters archive that we used for the remastered CDs in the set. Some gems were discovered during the cataloguing including instrumental versions of two of the band's biggest hits 'When' and 'Pretty Little Angel Eyes'. Dave was also hugely cooperative at all stages of the project and supplied many rarities for Disc 10. Alongside faithfully recreated mini-vinyl replica sleeves we have ended up with a truly definitive release for one of the biggest bands in British pop history. Grab a copy now - they won't be available for long and should be a genuine collector's item in future years. Enjoy!
on 19 January 2016
Always loved the waddies even if the stage shows have been high content but short ,I agree the clarity of sound seems much better than my previous tapes records and CDs the liner notes and mini album sleves are great and its nice trying to compare and differentiate some bonus songs from originals wasn't sure on buying as I had most but the sound alone makes it worthwhile
on 9 July 2015
Despatched and arrived in good time.Haven't listened to all the CDs yet,but I'm not disappointed by the quality or content of the discs.For any fan of SWW who hasn't managed to collect the vinyl or tape versions this is an ideal option.Love the replica album sleeves the CDs come in.Comprehensive booklet detailing the story of each album.Brilliant!
on 31 July 2013
This is a must for any 'Waddies' out there, or everyone who likes catchy, bouncy rock 'n' roll. I have got all but one of these on the old 12' format but it did not stop me from buying this. The sound quality is really good, the sleeves are minature replicas and the the A and B side cd is excellent...i forgot that so many singles were not included on albums. Well worth the money in my opinion, go on, treat yourself...
on 29 August 2014
After following showaddywaddy from the very beginning I was delighted to retire my vinyl and have everything on this box set of CDs. It's amazing. Dave bartram had now taken a back seat but andy Pelos the new lead singer is fantastic. Showaddywaddy still on tour , catch them you won't be disappointed