on 27 October 2013
I wanted to build a 'beast' as a digital darkroom. I don't game on my PC.

I'm far from being an IT luddite but I don't for a minute claim to understand the finer details of the differences between this and the K version (bar the obvious unlocked status of the K). I knew I had no desire to overclock and various reviews talk about functionality in this chip that is disabled in the K version. It's that functionality that I am clueless about, I know I have it, I don't know (or care) what it does.

To my great surprise, whilst this is locked and clocked at 3.4Ghz boosting to 3.9Ghz mine seems to sit around 4.016Ghz on my Asus Z87 Pro motherboard (see image). Again I don't claim to understand this I'm merely reporting it for those that might. I'm sure someone will put me right!

The processor was a doddle to fit, drop it in, close the flap, push the cooler into place and use a flat blade screwdriver to lock the 4 'feet' of the cooler in place, done.

I am using the stock cooler in a Corsair 300R case and the fans rarely get beyond about 50% speed, albeit I appreciate I am not exactly taxing the system yet.

From the point of using my new computer, it's fantastic and in its main job as a digital darkroom it flies along with my 26,000 photo catalogue in LR5.2.

Down the line I might even buy a game just to see what it can do.
review image
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 August 2013
I was after an upgrade to my home VMware lab so got one of these seeing as the overclockable K series are missing VT-d capability.

Officially you're supposed to need a Q87 motherboard to fully support VT-d, but I've teamed this up with an ASRock H87 Pro4 (also from Amazon) and this is fully working in vSphere 5.1. Supposedly ASRock support VT-d on most of their boards unlike other vendors. You'll just need to add the network driver into the ESXi bootable disk so that it all works as things stand as these new boards feature the Intel I217-V which ESXi doesn't support out of the box.

It's an easy job to fix and takes literally a few minutes.

One thing to keep an eye out for is the fan. On the OEM cooler provided with this the wiring was wrapped too tightly around the fan which stopped it spinning so the first time you power up make sure to check that the fan is actually working. Otherwise you'll be cooking an expensive breakfast - it had fired into the BIOS and the CPU temp had hit 70c within seconds without the fan so make sure it's working!

Performance wise this thing flies with around a 9 second SuperPi score, and you get 4 cores and 8 logical threads thanks to HyperThreading.

If you don't want to overclock and want to run a fully functioning stable home VMware / Microsoft Hyper-V / Citrix Xen lab this is the chip for you! It's also quite handy at Hashcat when mixed with an AMD 7970 or two.

The system as a whole with an SSD can boot to the Windows 8 metro interface (or whatever they're calling it these days) around as quick as it takes my Dell screen to do the HDMI handshake - ie it's fast enough!
on 4 August 2014
Best ever cpu I have ever had, would highly recommend this chip, it's great for gaming, editing and any thing that takes a high load, must say though do not cheap out on sticking with the stock cooler as we all know stock coolers are completely useless, so spend a few more penny's and buy and after market cooler, I have a h60 water cooler and it does the job nicely :) but if you want to over clock then go for the "k" version of this cpu, both are amazing cards you will not regret it one bit :ad
on 1 December 2014
This processor is brilliant! I have a Phenom 2 960T as well and this one blows that away. I bought this for gaming and running virtual machines, turns out I can do both simultaneously with no issues, I have Windows 8 and run Hyper-V with two VMs simultaneously, having 16GB or RAM helps. The stock cooling is not very good, I would recommend buying an aftermarket cooler - I went for a CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 Evo because its small and fits into my BitFenix Prodigy case.
on 29 September 2013
Games just run fast, superior to anything else I've had before, Feeling like this CPU will last for at least another 2-3 years in the gaming industry
on 3 February 2014
The Core i7 4770 works perfectly for those who don't care about or want to overclock and costs about 26 quid less, which I spent on a good after market quiet cooler, I upgraded mostly because I wanted sata 3 and usb 3 ports plus the CPU is about 65% faster and bit cooler than my older 2nd generation core i7 860 definitely not worth it for anyone with an Ivybridge or Sandybridge
on 30 May 2014
Almost nothing better on the market than this so far. Won't be outdated for a long, long time. Definitely recommend.
on 16 March 2014
I was expecting a powerful and fast CPU, but this is faster than I thought. I can run applications in the background, on my desktop and watch videos at the same time without impacting performance. I have so far rarely used more than about 50% of its power across all 8 logical processors. The on-board graphics are OK: I used that while I was waiting for my graphics card. It also has in-built security features (see Intel website for details) which its fully overclockable cousin, 4770K, doesn't. I was very happy with the price as it was the lowest I could find.
on 17 August 2014
Faster and Cooler than my previous AMD processor on Video editing and Media centre PC
on 7 April 2014
Installed on an Asus Z87 Pro Motherboard with Ubuntu 13.10 Linux. Very fast, runs cool, uses the 8 cores for some operations, not for others. Even with all 8 cores running for hours, it only reaches 33C with the cooling fan supplied with the processor. Much better value than the slightly faster but much more expensive processors.