I have upgraded from Lightroom 4 to Lightroom 5 and have found the new features well worth-while and in my view make this even more of a complete photo-management and editing package for digital photographers.

Published 17 months ago by A Common Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost feels like a point release, but at least no Creative Cloud
There's a few nice features in Lightroom 5, such as radial gradients, some new correction tools (the upright tool to fix perspective, and an updated spot removal tool that allows brush strokes to define the spot area), but there's really not much to get too excited about here. This is a much smaller step forward than the step from LR3>LR4.

Worse, stuff like...
Published 17 months ago by M. Bhangal

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile upgrade to a superb product: a must for digital photographers, 11 Jun 2013
A Common Reader "Committed to reading" (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 (Mac/PC) (DVD-ROM)

I converted to Lightroom from Photoshop Elements last year. The learning curve has not been too bad because Lightroom is pretty intuitive for all the basic functions, and in any case I have used Scott Kelby's book The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter) to help me with the more advanced features. For this new version, Lightroom 5, Adobe have already put quite a few "how to" videos about the new features on their website and it's worth looking at these.

Lightroom is a great improvement on Elements when it comes to cataloguing a collection. The key-wording approach in Lightroom is much more flexible than in Elements and the search functions are much better. I love the ability to compare several similar photographs on one screen (survey view) and gradually eliminate the less good ones until you're left with the best image. You can tell that Lightroom really is designed for digital photographers through and through, with features like automatic lens correction based on your camera profile (a large number of camera profiles are included but you can add others or create your own). You can even set it up so that your RAW files are automatically adjusted to give them the punch of JPG files - I don't use this but can see why it might be an appealing feature.

With Lightroom you don't have the layers features of Elements or Photoshop but most digital photographers will find that the way all the adjustment sliders work offers just as much control as the layers approach and is certainly easier to use.

The non-destructive editing concept means that you can revert your photo to its original state at any time, OR you can take "snapshots" at any stage of your edit which are in effect different versions of the photo which you can revert to. You can also create a virtual copy to experiment with if you want the original kept just as it is, and then you can export the virtual copy as an additional image when you've completed work on it.

In version 5 the catalog functions stay pretty much the same as before, but you have to convert your Lightroom 4 caalog to Lightroom 5 (very easy). If you are converting to Lightroom 5 from Photoshop Elements you can import your Elements catalog and it will preserver all your keywords.

It is in the Develop module where the real changes can be seen. The first change I noticed is the radial gradient tool. In Lightroom 4 you have a really good gradient filter tool which you just select then drag across the screen to make whatever changes you wish. I've used it to improve skies in landscape photographs, and also dragging from the side when the exposure seems brighter on one side of the photograph than the other. You can change anything you want with this tool - exposure, saturation, clarity etc, etc. Now with Lightroom 5 we have an additional radial gradient filter tool which works just the same as the linear tool but let's you draw a circle (with the full range of soft or hard edges) so you can drop your adjustments into any shape and size of oval or circle. It's really useful for introducing a soft glow around the faces in a portrait for example, or for highlighting the central part of the image (although to a degree you can do this with the vignette effect).

I am fanatical about having straight horizons in my landscape photographs and the new "upright" tool is excellent. It's found in the lens correction panel and when you click Auto it analyses the photograph and straightens it automatically. You can manually correct it of course if you feel the automatic correction hasn't got it right - but it's been right every time I've used it so far.

The new Advanced Healing Brush is pretty amazing and I now no longer need to go across to Photoshop Elements to achieve the improvements to my images like removing intrusive lamp-posts or telegraph poles. To be able to get rid of a drainpipe down the side of a house in one drag and click is amazing (I've just done it). It's capabilities when improving complexions in portraits go without saying.

I like that I can create video slideshows of still photographs and can upload them to my website or YouTube etc. You can insert customised start and ending screens, varying borders and themes, and also a soundtrack.

Once nice feature in version 5 is a new keyboard shortcut - just type F and the photo is displayed full screen. Another improvement is the addition of fully configurable grids and guides - this was definitely something I missed in Lightroom 4 - I also like that you can change the opacity of these so they are not too intrusive. There are many other smaller changes and improvements which you will soon find once you start using Lightroom 5.

All in all, I'd say this upgrade is well worth having. If you're new to Lightroom then the program is probably the best you can get as a digital photographer wanting to manage and manipulate images. If you have an earlier version then you'll probably find this a worthwhile upgrade - the new features are consistent with earlier versions in how they work and you will be using them within a few minutes of firing up the program for the first time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Raw Photo Editor, however....., 22 Mar 2014
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 (Mac/PC) (DVD-ROM)
The flexibility offered in the Develop module of LR5, makes this a very worthwhile purchase over PSE12 and its integral ACR raw editing capability. Particularly as LR5 was on short-term offer at Amazon and I managed to bag it for £69.99.

I have had Lightroom 5 for a couple of weeks at the time of writing this review and am already seeing the benefits, having re-worked a number of old RAW files to produce much better final images than with PSE12/ACR. I am sure there is much more to discover, but I would highlight the following features of LR5 as particularly worthwhile - and all applied in a non-destructive manner, so can be easily undone if needed:
* Graduated filters - a must for improving skies
* Radial filters
* Adjustment Brush - very powerful for adjustments to specific areas of your photo
* Spot removal tool, to deal with blemishes without having to switch into PSE
* HSL for much finer control of the various colour components
* Lens Correction - particularly for the removal of Chromatic Aberration, which works brilliantly and has improved a number of older images

I have found LR5 generally intuitive to learn and use and, of course, there is the usual plethora of helpful videos on YouTube and elsewhere covering pretty much every aspect of LR5. The following have been useful in helping get familiar with the product:
* Anthony Morganti's Lightroom Tutorials on YouTube for a general understanding of the main LR functions
* Serge Ramelli YouTube videos on how to really get creative with LR5 and maximise impact on your photos
* Adobe's own Lightroom tutorials in their 'How To' section at adobe.com

I would also highly recommend Victoria Bampton's 'Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ' which I purchased after reading the outstanding reviews on Amazon. The information is presented as a series of Q&As on each topic, which works brilliantly and makes the information very easy to find and to digest (without the additional waffle that some other authors seem to prefer). Also worth taking a look at the Authors own website (LightroomQueen.com), which includes a free Lightroom 5 Quickstart Guide

So, why only four stars then? The reason is that I really dislike Adobe's approach to trying to organise your files for you. I found this very frustrating when I first used LR5.

There is a very helpful explanation by George Jardine of using catalogs, which helped to demystify things somewhat, for which the link can be found on Victoria Bampton's website. Also, in Part 12 of his Learn Lightroom series of videos on YouTube, Anthony Morganti explains his preferred approach of retaining his existing OS file structure, loading files into there initially and then importing into Lightroom. This feels like a much more sensible approach and is the method I have adopted.

I am yet to try other modules within LR5, such as Book and Slideshow, but overall, I am very happy with Lightroom 5 and would highly recommend it for the value of the Develop module alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth looking at., 22 July 2013
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 (Mac/PC) (DVD-ROM)
I got Lightroom to open raw files from my Canon D60, which my version of Elements couldn't open. I now use it for 90% of my editing work, only turning to Elements to use the clone tool. The program is fast and efficient, and there is enough controls to suit pretty much anyone. It has enhanced my pictures old and new, even enabled me to rescue some I had thought beyond help. I would recommend this program to anyone who needs a little more than Elements but not as much as full Photoshop.
Lightroom used with Elements makes a pretty much perfect combination.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shown Aperture the Door, 18 Aug 2013
Chris Hoare "Chris" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 (Mac/PC) (DVD-ROM)
I have been a staunch user of Apple Aperture since its first release; only Aperture 3 has gotten increasingly long in the tooth - and as a camera collector I am getting fed up of Apple's lag in supporting Raw formats. Aperture 3 is iPhoto + - its a great easy to use Library for OS/X. With Lightroom 5 Adobe should have made it easier to switch from Aperture.

I wasn't immediately sure how my library would look in the final process - I really like the album structure in Aperture. Lightroom doesn't have this; I found an option on the import to Organise by day which groups photos into a stack saved my bacon and allowed me to almost mimic the old structure. I then had to import my photos; i'm Not a professional photographer but do have over 10 years of digital images and to transfer from Aperture to Lightroom I had to export my images and import them back in - a process that took 4 days on my Mac Pro. There really ought to be a better way...

Once my images were in Lightroom; the interface shock subsided over a few days and over the weeks i'm slowing drilling down into some of the keyboard shortcuts. Its clear that lightroom is massively superior for editing images. Having the Photoshop healing brush and radial gradients often allows for a quick adjustment to an image without opening it in another editor. The flickr publishing interface is far better (though when I tried to push a video up it never finished encoding at the Flickr end - manually uploading the same video worked fine.)

One of the key benefits for me over Aperture is the ability to merge catalogs from a laptop into your main catalog; this handy feature lets you easily move images around - and saves on the transfer issues I had moving over from aperture.

Lightroom 5 is a learning curve from Aperture; the library is quicker; the editing functions are better, the sharing functions are better, working away from the office is easier and it isn't onerously expensive; 5*'s

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 17 July 2013
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 (Mac/PC) (DVD-ROM)
I am a complete amateur and very rarely, up to now, bother to try to improve my photograph collection. Managing my photographs (around 28,000 now) has just meant using Microsoft Photo Gallery to add keywords and the odd bit of straightening horizons. My policy on digital photography was quantity over quality and take lots of photos with the hope that one or two percent would be good. then my best beloved bought me a Sony Nex 5r ( very good camera by the way) and I thought I should try and improve the way I took and managed my photographs.
Some time ago I bought Elements 9 to try to manage and improve my photographs but just found it too complicated to use and could not be bothered to use it. I migrated to Lightroom 5 from Elements 9 a couple of days ago and have found this a great improvement. Far easier to use once you get used to the concept of how Lightroom works and great results. Just been using this for a few days now and the results are impressive. The manager module is excellent and very easy to use; particularly easy to use and find your way around the metadata and keywords, far better than Elements. The developer options are so easy to use and get good results; in the couple of hours I have used Lightroom, I have used the slider to bring up highlights in the shadows and the new tool to straighten verticals, both of which are easy to use and work very well.
The one hurdle to get over is how Lightroom works. When I first used Lightroom, I could not find a "save" command (because there is not one). As Lightroom is non destructive it does not change the original file. Any changes made using Lightroom are made to the metadata of the photograph (including the change history to allow undos) and the original photograph file remains unaltered. When you view the photograph in Lightroom, it reads the original file and the Lightroom metadata and the combined results are viewed to show the changes /improvements. However if you view the photograph file in another programme that does not read the Lightroom metadata it will just show the original photograph, not the changes made in Lightroom. In order to save the changes made to the photograph file itself, you have to use the export command and this saves a copy of the photograph complete with changes to a new file. Please note, this is just my understanding, as a complete non-expert, on how Lightroom works and I welcome a more expert view.
Overall, a product that is easy to use and get great results both to manage and improve your photographs. All I need now is a good guide book to get the best out of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5, 11 Feb 2014
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 (Mac/PC) (DVD-ROM)
If, like me you go back to film, then this will suit you well as a system not too complicated and delivers results for the image you've taken, rather than implementing a host of stuff hidden in the original shot. Take a tip though - use RAW files & go onto the Adobe Lightroom tutorial on You Tube - it's a must if like me you've not encountered developing in the digital era before. The tricks re shortcut keys bring the product alive - also, and this is the major thing I found problematic until the answer dripped into my thick head by watching the tutorials, was how to file photos. It has brought my photos to life - well worth the cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adobe Lightroom 5, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 (Mac/PC) (DVD-ROM)
Excellent product. It takes time to master and its best to view the 'how to' tutorials on the Adobe website along with the many You Tube posted tutorials before attempting to edit photos. I found videos by Serge Ramelli to be very useful.
I bought Lightroom, on the recommendation of my son who is a very keen semi professional photographer, having used Elements for many years. I've found it much easier to use and have achieved consistently good photos from very mediocre original images.

5.0 out of 5 stars the lens correction and colour correction features are brilliant., 26 Nov 2013
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 (Mac/PC) (DVD-ROM)
Seems at first look a lot to pay for one disc, however it's now only about three weeks since it was delivered and I am slowly realising that it does justify the price, I'm sure there's a lot more to discover (haven't started on the YouTube video's yet) the photo adjustments you can make are superb, the lens correction and colour correction features are brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 10 Aug 2013
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 (Mac/PC) (DVD-ROM)
I use this as a front-end application to make global changes (initial interpretation) to individual images before I edit them in elements. I also use it to catalogue my pictures. I prefer it to Photoshop Elements database because I can search for picture in a greater variety of ways.

5.0 out of 5 stars Upgraded from Lightroom 3, 10 April 2014
Stephen Maher "Steve" (GB) - See all my reviews
I loved 3 which I used at work and wanted my own version for home use. Lightroom is so easy to use and understand and you can go as deep into Lightroom as yoou want to use all the detailing. I use this with Photoshop Elements 11 and Silver Effects and I'm pretty much sorted.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 (Mac/PC)
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 (Mac/PC) by Adobe Systems Inc. (Mac OS X, Windows 7 / 8)