Published 16 months ago by Ian Thomas

1.0 out of 5 stars A dud SSD that wasted nearly a week of trying
It was impossible to load an image of the original disk onto this one. I tried a number of approaches and methods without success. Kingston gave little help. After reading up on the internet and trying everything suggested I still had no success. After a week of research and trials I got to the stage where I seemed to know as much or more than Kingston who then admitted...
Published 12 months ago by cobblers

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent performance but poor software tools and better alternatives, 14 Aug 2013
Ian Thomas "Swarley" (Cambridgeshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have a Samsung 128GB 830 SSD in my main desktop PC, and I fitted an Intel 330 Series 120GB SSD in my wife's laptop, so I have experience with SSDs from other manufacturers. These drives come from huge companies with a lot of industry experience with this technology, so I was interested to test a newer SSD from a different manufacturer to see how it compares. Kingston have a lot of experience and a good reputation as a manufacturer of memory chips, which is a very closely related field, so they should be ideally placed to build SSDs to a high standard.

Physically all SSDs are very similar, and the KC300 is no exception. It is only 7mm deep, making it suitable for some extremely compact Ultrabook laptops. As a nice touch, Kingston include a free 7mm to 9.5mm adapter (which is very easily stuck on to the drive) if your laptop's drive bay only accepts slightly thicker 9.5mm drives. If you're using this SSD in a desktop PC with a 3.5" drive bay, you will need to use a standard 2.5" to 3.5" drive adapter (which should be included for free with the retail version of the KC300). As you would expect from an SSD, this drive runs silently, does not generate much heat, requires less power to run (and therefore saves battery life in a laptop) and delivers fantastic performance.

I fitted my KC300 in a 2 year old Toshiba Satellite laptop (Intel Core i5 CPU, 6GB RAM), replacing a standard 640GB 2.5" laptop drive. Kingston claim this drive will perform reads at up to 525MB/sec, and writes at up to 500MB/sec. Now these are theoretical maximums, so we can't expect to see this performance in the real world. I used the free 'AS SSD Benchmark' tool to measure the real performance in my laptop. I got read speeds of 440MB/sec, and write speeds of 235MB/sec, which I was pretty pleased with to be honest.

So far so good, but the reason I cannot award the full 5 stars for this drive is the poor quality of supporting software from Kingston. Intel provide their 'SSD Toolbox' software, and Samsung provide their 'SSD Magician' software. Both of these tools are well designed and fully featured. They allow you to benchmark your SSD performance, optimise the drive (using TRIM operations to clean up free space), check it for errors/issues, and update the firmware. They can run in the background, or on a schedule of your choice, and are well-rounded stable tools. The equivalent from Kingston is nowhere near as polished. The only available download is described as a 'Firmware Update', but it actually includes all available tools (which is not many). The download is a ZIP file which must be extracted before use (there is no installer). The executable must be run manually as an administrator, otherwise it doesn't start. In addition to the firmware update tool, it offers a "Secure Erase" option and the ability to check the drive's "SMART Data" for errors. There is no optimisation or benchmark facilities, nor will it check online for newer firmware than the version it comes with. You cannot schedule or run this tool in the background. It really is very limited.

Your hard drive is the most important part of your computer, where all your data lives, and it is generally the most likely component to fail. I want a drive that not only performs well, but has an excellent reputation for reliability, and comes from a manufacturer with good experience and decent support options. On that basis, I would always choose a Samsung or Intel SSD over a Kingston one. There is nothing inherently wrong with this drive other than the disappointing software, but personally I would recommend that you consider a Samsung 840 Series 120GB SSD instead (which is currently slightly cheaper!). If you want more performance, consider the Samsung 840 Series Pro 128GB SSD model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performance, 15 Aug 2013
B. Smyth "smyth86" (Crawley) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's really good to see that SSDs are dropping in price. It would appear 120gb seems to be the best combination of value and space at the time of writing.

My laptop had a 5 year old, 5400rpm hard drive, albeit a 500gb one, and I thought it was time to replace it for a quicker drive. I never hit the capacity of my old drive so 120gb seemed the right size. Installation is a doddle. Just opened the cover on back, undid a couple of screws and swapped them over. My first impression of the speed of the drive was reinstalling Windows 7. From inserting the CD to loading into a fully installed Windows environment took about 15-20 minutes. I know from reinstalling Windows 7 on my old hard drive, this would take almost 45 minutes. This difference is probably a combination of a very slow old drive and a brand new SSD, but still the difference was huge.
Installing all my software also highlighted the dramatic increase in performance. Day to day use, from booting to opening programs, has changed hugely.

The tools you can download from the Kingston website for firmware upgrades and drive info are fairly intuitive to use. I had no problems with the software itself. Finding it on their website however, wasn't as straightforward as it could have been.

If you have a slow computer and have tried increasing RAM or reformatted your existing drive, you really should try one of these. This is easily the best upgrade I have made to my laptop. It may be five years old, but it is now super quick! Very impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 Jun 2013
I chose it because its a reputable company with good reviews in WebUser magazine. Its very easy to install, And when I loaded Windows 7 Professional, the laptop boots up in about 30 seconds instead of several minutes,And it still performs well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Fast!, 30 July 2013
Mr. T. S. James (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not really much I can say about this item except that it was easy to install and without any problems. Upon booting my machine the difference was very noticeable, with a quick startup time and navigating around the OS everything just loads quicker and runs a lot smoother. It's only 120GB but if you don't need a lot of space or keep a lot of files on an external drive then this is ideal for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent buy!!, 30 Jan 2014
This was instead of a traditional hard drive for a pretty old laptop. Although capacity is not huge it was enough for the OS, applications and media. The performance is incredible compared to traditional mechanical drives. The item was exactly as described when I searched Amazon and I received it, well packaged within a couple of days. Definitely a good recommendation.
Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars I have this drive as my operating system (Windows 7 ..., 24 July 2014
This review is from: Kingston Technology KC300 SSDNow Solid State Drive - SKC300S37A/240G (Personal Computers)
I have this drive as my operating system (Windows 7 Pro 64bit) boot drive and it is truly superb. I have had many other SSDs by Crucial, Samsung,Transcend and other Kingston models. But this model works amazingly fast in my i5 desktop setup.

Seriously it boots my PC up from power on in 15 seconds. Data transfers are fast.

I honestly cannot fault this drive in any way. It has Kingston's solid build quality.

It may be a little more expensive than other models that are similar, but for me the performace increase is totally worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blazing fast, 2 July 2013
MyKeyReviews (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As I already have an SSD drive for my operating system, I wanted to make this a back-up drive for my media files.

So I bought an ORICO USB 3.0 HDD External Enclosure, which seems to do the job fine.

With new HDD's/SSD's you have to format them before you can use them properly, you do this by the following (I used this on a Windows 7 operating system):

1) Search for "disk management" and click on "Create and format hard disk partitions".
2) Find the unallocated SSD, right click it and select "New Simple Volume...".
3) Go through the options and format.
4) It's now ready to use!

For optimum results it's best to configure it internally to your computer, however as already stated I used an external enclosure with USB 3.0, the data transfer rate peaked at 220MB/s whilst transferring 2.43GB worth of files onto the SSD (Using a USB 2.0 port peaked at 20MB/s whilst transferring the files).

I'm really happy with the results as it makes backing up all my files media files a quick process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Nov 2014
Getting one of these fitted is akin to buying a newer faster computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 10 Aug 2013
C. Hamer "chrisahamer" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Pretty much plug and play and works brilliantly.
I put this in an older Toshiba laptop and it has given it a new lease of life.

Programmes open in seconds and it starts up in a quarter of the time.
What I really like is that this SSD feels solid in the hand. It is not going to fall apart anytime soon and feels like it could survive anything - (which the laptop it is in won't).

Really impressive device and it is stunning how cheaply this kind of quality can now be had at.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... have had three of these units now and been pleased with them all, 13 Sep 2014
I have had three of these units now and been pleased with them all.