5.0 out of 5 stars Great Device, Great Features
Despite some of the poor publicity that TomTom have received on the new "Go" range of SatNav's, I am actually a massive fan of them.

I purchased the Go 6000 as a massive upgrade on my previous Mio Satnav. The main reasons for purchasing a TomTom was the lifetime maps and the addition of traffic updates during my journey (I looked at Garmin devices, but...
Published 4 months ago by Joshua

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed with the product!!!! Total waste of money!!!
I am using essex -london route every morning and the live traffic doesn't work at least half of the time- and it does not matter where i am. Very slow as it takes about 45 secs to 1 min to find address- slower than the last model!! It can freeze up to 4 times in just 1 hour. No 'find alternative route' option - which is a pain when you're stuck in a traffic! No option to...
Published 1 month ago by Ewa Lukaszewska

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars I was going to return it ... and then I used it!, 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: TomTom GO 6000 EU 6-Inch Sat Nav with Full European Lifetime Maps, Lifetime Traffic Updates, Always Connected and Interactive Screen Includes Click & Mount Car Charger and USB Cable (Electronics)
When I received my Go 6000 Europe I felt really disappointed. I was driving from London to the wilds of the Highlands and I wanted to enter my destination location using Longitude and Latitude coordinates which I could do on my Go 950 Live. But the 6000 has no Long/Lat capability (how is this even possible, really?). I spent a fair bit of time locating my destination on google maps using my hosts' directions and then on the Go 6000 map. I saved that location to "My Places" (favourites). Another annoyance/disappointment is that my 950's extra memory card map of North America won't work in the 6K as the maps/cards are device specific. I was ready to return the 6000 for a refund.

Then I drove to Scotland with it. Nine hours. The device was actually wonderful - and I really took some convincing. The route finding was fast; the timing punctual to the minute (mine seems to show both arrival time and miles concurrently - current time would be nice). It even found a last minute B-road re-routing through Glasgow suburbs to avoid traffic on the motorway. I am not sure it saved a great deal of time, but I know I was happier than chugging along in the traffic. The display is clear. The traffic incident reporting is very good. When reporting traffic incidents the display shows some information in a tiny red typeface that neither I, as the driver, nor my wife could read. I wonder what it said?

Even without the Long/Lat and the No. Am. map (not available yet, evidently), I am keeping the device. And the support via email and phone is excellent. I have almost always found this to be the case with TomTom. With the Go 6k, the woman with whom I corresponded kept responding to my mails about missing features and my disappointments and said that she had passed my comments to the appropriate TT team. She did mention though that if Long/Lat was introduced, it would not be available by software update which I guess means that early adopters are out of luck - unless it is a firmware update which we can get via MyTomTom. If not that would be a real shame.

1.0 out of 5 stars Think Carefully before you Buy !!!!, 7 Oct 2013
As others have pointed out this may be the top of the range TomTom but it's basically a very basic unit with no frills. A lot of useful features found in older TomToms have been stripped out. What you are essentially paying top buck for is a very basic Sat Nav with the privilege of having free map updates and live traffic. You may say well that's all I need but be very careful before you commit to buy because all is not as it seems. The unit itself is good looking and well built and the bigger screen size is a bonus. It locks on quickly and re-routes quickly too if you take a wrong turn. The suction mount works well but that's all the good points.
Even with the stripped out functions it could be a good unit if TomTom can sort out their software issues. It feels as if the device and software have been released without proper testing.
My experience with the unit is as follows:
Firstly it wouldn't link to my email account and after numerous messages to customer support it finally linked to my account after they had made some changes on their side
Then it refused to connect to MyTomTom and I tried every night for nearly two weeks with daily messages sent back and forth to customer services
Eventually by chance and experimentation I managed to get it to connect. By this time I had spent around 15 hours over two weeks trying every night to get the damn thing to connect
I thought my problems were over but how could I have been so naive and wrong
After it connected I tried to update the software and speed cameras
Every time I tried it just froze at the update stage
I even left it connected overnight with the icon showing updating hoping that it'll be done by the morning. When morning came the icon was still showing updating and the device was still on the old software
I contacted customer services everyday and tried everything they suggested
Nothing worked
They suggested switching off the firewall, using a different browser, different operating system, different computer, they changed settings and it went on and on but the damn thing wouldn't update
I even spoke to them on the phone for an hour and the chap couldn't resolve the problem
After three weeks I finally gave up after much frustration and hair pulling and returned the cursed device
There is absolutely no point paying top dollar for a unit you cannot update
If you do decide to purchase it make sure you can link it to your account and that it connects to mytomtom and try and update it
Seriously it's not worth the hassle !!!
I used to own a GO 530 which was no problem to update until it died on me one day so this was supposed to replace it
MY ADVICE IS DON'T TOUCH THIS UNIT WITH A BARGE POLE
TomTom have really screwed up big time

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Impressed Enough by Tom Tom 5000, 23 May 2014
It does the job, but finding that the traffic isn't always logged in which is very annoying. Even on the M25!
Maps are okay, but not very user friendly and its hard to find places.
Used to have Tom Tom Go520 which was good, but this isn't sufficiently better and actually does less.

Why can't TomTom use Google Maps because I actually think my free Sat Nav on my mobile which does is far easier to use and the Map side of it is light years in-front of it which amazes me!

Not that impressed with Traffic, although when it works it is helpful. Again Google maps has a lot to teach Tom Tom in my opinion.

Will look more at other makes next time as i can't believe this is as good as it could have been.

2.0 out of 5 stars So many missing features, 20 Aug 2013
I liked the size despite the fact that they did not take the opportunity to increase the size of text. I also liked the speed that it found the sats and calculated routes. But that was about it.

Everything else about the new GO series has already been well documented elsewhere but my particular dislikes in no particular order were:

1. The inability to search using GPS coordinates. Trust me but on the Iberian Peninsula where I use my device the most, this is a necessity as many places do not have a traditional type of address, e.g. in Spain your address might be Km 27 marker on the MA15. Put that into TomTom. In Portugal the address could just be a road name or number or the name of a village or area. Most businesses that I visit include their coordinates in their location details but they would be of no use with the 6000.

2. Going on from there is the loss of the SOS feature. Imagine being stuck in the middle of nowhere and needing to give emergency services your location without having coordinates available. It’s a GPS device for goodness sakes that relies on coordinates to work Is it so difficult to display them at the tap of an icon?

3. The loss of MapShare. I know that TomTom have promised to bring it back but we are all well aware of TomTom and its promises. The latest update from them (as at 26th July, 2013) was that it would be reintroduced as a software update by the beginning of August. Of course they never said which year!

4. The loss of the facility to add/edit POIs and the fact that the POIs installed on the device seem to be far fewer than previously and certainly in this area less accurate than before. Even more evidence of the need for the edit feature.

5. Searching by address is less intuitive and I failed to find one single address that I regularly use. I’m sure that in real world countries like the UK this would not be such a problem but here, where a simple street name can take many different forms, it rendered the device useless. Yet my GO 720 works a treat here.

6. That leaves searching by selecting your location on the map and tapping. I found this a very clumsy option that was not helped by my fat fingers!

7. The wishy washy map colours that were washed out even further by the glare from the screen. It seemed that it didn’t matter what angle I set the device at I could not kill the reflection.

8. Very personal this one and I know most others disagree but what is the point of 3D buildings? For me it made for a more cluttered display.

9. There is no clock…

10. …and no speed limit displayed unless you have a route set but even with a route set these essentials seem to merge into the rest of the display anyway.

I cannot comment on the LIVE traffic as, for the two days that I was using the device, none was shown and I have no idea if there were any problems in the area.

All the comments above relate to the use of the device in Portugal where the standard of mapping is abysmal at best; hence the importance to me of MapShare and use of POIs.

I believe that TomTom have taken several large steps backwards with this device as far as development is concerned and seem to be charging a premium price for what is at best a basic device. What would it have cost them to include POIs and MapShare, time and speed in the software? There were no R & D costs to spoil the bottom line as the technology is already included in other devices.

The 6000 is on its way back to Amazon and the only decision I have to make now is whether to ‘upgrade’ to a 1005 at 80 less or move over to Garmin.

1.0 out of 5 stars TomTom 6000, 6 Sep 2013
TomTom GO 6000 Europe

Usual good service from Amazon and a nice looking device. However, like other reviewers, I was disappointed in the removal of features that I have relied upon. I was prepared to put up with only one map style, but when I discovered I could not use 2-D map view with North-Up I repackaged the device and returned it. I did check with TomTom but they confirmed they removed this option, saying that other devices dont have it (they do - My TomTom 1005 does, CoPilot does, everyone does apart from this device).

It is such a fundamental option that I find it incredible that they chose to remove it. I know not everyone uses this, but I have been used to navigating from a real map for years, where North is naturally "Up" so it is far more comfortable for me to use this.

I do believe TomTom are quiet arrogant and dont listen to customers - it took them over a year to get My TomTom working as well as TomTom Home, which also took some time before it worked properly. They do have the best navigation and Live Services is very good, but dont buy this device unless you are OK with losing a lot of features.

2.0 out of 5 stars Huge step backwards, 3 Sep 2013
Ive had the 6000 for a few weeks now and felt the time was right to put in my review and recommendation. Basically, STAY AWAY from it until they update it as I honestly feel TomTom have released a half finished product that almost had me throwing it out of the car window 2 days ago.

it was almost midnight and i had just driven 6 hours and came up to the M5 junction on the M4 with the intention of going to the South West. The satnav kept telling me to go left and join the M5 but I couldn't as it was shut. I had to go towards the Bristol exit instead and drive 15 miles round trip to get back to where I wanted. Lo and behold, my satnav kept telling me there was a lane closure on the M5 and to join it. ERRR.....HELLOOOOOOOO......the M5 was shut!!! in the end had to drive to Avonmouth and come back into England using the diversion signs and not the TomTom as it wouldnt register the M5 was shut. In a nutshell, I had to do an extra 40 miles driving to get where I wanted with no help from the gadget so this is where I came to the conclusion that TomTom Traffic is crap. I had a paid subscription on the 750 go ( which i still have 7 months running but they wont let me transfer it to my new satnav...another story...don't ask) and it was much better than this pile of tosh.

Anyway, that's my whinge done, here are the honest faults that i feel stop me from recommending buying this gadget.

1/ The writing on the screen is too small...i can hardly read what it is telling me...such as miles left and traffic incidents. I much preferred my 750 where the arrival, destination and time remaining was very clearly shown. I have good eyesight but even i have to strain to read some of the writing.

2/ No Help features such as nearest Police, Hospital, GPS reading in case of breakdown. They were nice to have in case of an emergency. I know you can type it in but its was just handy having everything all in one place...why remove something if its valuable to a driver?

3/ Cannot see a detailed breakdown of the route planned when setting off (or during)....all you can do is watch a preview which takes forever and is absolutely useless.

4/ Voice volume is a lot quieter than the 750..and im not going deaf either

5/ alternative route recommendation is too small, i kept missing it...on the 750, it came up in a big bold square with no chance of missing it

6/ The Traffic option appears to be behind real life timings...as in the case of the M5 closure

Don't get me wrong, the gadget looks very good and is very fluid but for 300 i honestly feel that my 750 was a much better satnav...so many more functions to help the driver. Maybe TomTom will release updates to fix some of these issues but personally from my experience, i would save your cash and buy something better instead

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom tom 6000, 29 Jun 2014
Omar Beggs (Somerset UK) - See all my reviews
I did read the reviews and as they were mixed I was apprehensive about this purchase.

Having used this for 2 weeks I am pleased I took the plunge and bought.

The interface is simpler and more intuitive once you get over that it
Is not the same as previous generations. Lock on to satellites is quicker.
Search for location is also fast. To find points of interest put in the location
First and then search again putting in where you are trying to find.

I like the 3d of junctions and built up areas as this makes taking
Turns much simpler.

Thanks

Omar

5.0 out of 5 stars Best yet, 24 Mar 2014
I read the mixed reviews, most of the negatives was because less options and extras. Decided to buy and first impression absolutely love it. It does everything I need a Sat Nav to do and it does them very well. First connection to PC updates took about 2 hours then ready to go. Easy to activate the services. Looks good, performs well. I, personally, have always had Tomtoms and this is way ahead of the others. Not cheap but you get what you pay for. I worked for a company that installed Garmin in all the vehicles. To me Tomtom are so much better.

UPDATE.
Just returned from using it on a long journey. All my initial thoughts about it confirmed. Love it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tom Tom have lost the plot, 16 Aug 2013
Simon Ash (London, England) - See all my reviews
I was really excited to order this unit as a birthday present to myself but it turned out to be absolutely awful. I have previously owned three other Tom Toms so I like the brand and every one has been better than the last. NOT with this Go 6000, the supposed flagship unit.

When you open the box the screen is impressive and the magnetic clip mount is terrific. The problem is the info screen. No longer can you look at the screen and know what the current time is. It only displays the arrival time in a single column on the right. I preferred the old styling where all your info easily to hand at the bottom.

On turning on the unit on my first journey the unit took ages to get a GPS fix. Then the voice didn't kick in for even longer and overall it was a poor start but I carried on. The info display is so awful that I took the wrong turning twice within one short and incredibly frustrating journey lasting no more than 10mins. I pulled over to the side of the road got out the trusty Tom Tom Go 9500 unit and vowed never to use one of these again.

I felt compelled to write a review because the unit is so awful Tom Tom should be ashamed, pull it and redo the software display ASAP or just suffer the embarrassment of bad review after bad review. Take heed...avoid at all costs.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good & Bad, 27 Aug 2013
I feel pretty let down by this unit and the inability of TomTom's customer services team to resolve the issues. It quite clearly needs a lot more development

The main positive points are as follows:

1. Very good sized 6 inch screen and nice 3D graphics of directions and surrounding buildings

2. Very good live traffic coverage and graphics of the traffic hotspots on the map

3. The search function is pretty strong - and the ability to predict accurate destination times

The main negative points are as follows:

1. It takes you straight into traffic hot spots, even when it has identified them. This has occurred on too many ocassions for it to be an anomaly. In comparison to TomTom's online route planner - this unit doesn't seem to have a clue!

2. The "live" connection drops randomly in different parts of town (London), in certain areas and doesn't always return and so the benefit of the live traffic feeds are extinguished

3. No voice controls - and it's obviously pretty dangerous to fiddle with the unit whilst driving, especially when the built-in SIM card has lost its connection!

4. It doesn't always take you on the most efficient and convenient route - even when there's no traffic on the alternate/locally tried and tested routes

For 300 pounds - it's not good value for money at all.

‹ Previous | 1 2 317 | Next ›