5.0 out of 5 stars Great Device, Great Features
Despite some of the poor publicity that TomTom have received on the new "Go" range of SatNav's, I am actually a massive fan of them.

Published 13 months ago by Joshua

2.0 out of 5 stars Best of a bad bunch
Published 7 months ago by nick

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Device, Great Features, 26 Feb. 2014
Joshua (Weston-Super-Mare) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TomTom GO 6000 EU 6-Inch Sat Nav with Full European Lifetime Maps, Lifetime Traffic Updates, Always Connected and Interactive Screen Includes Click & Mount Car Charger and USB Cable (Electronics)

I purchased the Go 6000 as a massive upgrade on my previous Mio Satnav. The main reasons for purchasing a TomTom was the lifetime maps and the addition of traffic updates during my journey (I looked at Garmin devices, but the Garmin traffic seemed to be beaten by TomTom traffic in most situations).

After purchasing this device (not from Amazon), I opened the box to discover the true size of the device! It is massive, especially compared to my previous device!
After switching on the Go 6000 for the first time, I was prompted to make an account for the lifetime traffic and lifetime maps (due to the Go 6000 having an inbuilt sim-card for data, the account was ready for use when I logged on to my pc).

I find using the device to be a quick and easy experience, searching for addresses is fast, and since the 13.040 update, searching for post codes is now a speedy task.
One possible downside is the size of the map update downloads. The V925 map update just released came in at just under 5.5GB's. Fortunately, these are only released once a quarter, so again, it isn't the biggest problem.

Generally, every day there are smaller map updates (from the Map Share Reporter), which gives every day users the chance to change any mistakes or update new roads and inform TomTom of the changes.

I paid for the speed camera subscription after the first 3 months, due to finding them useful over the first 3 months of the device. Updates for this are usually every week and come in at around 2.6MB and take seconds to install. Impressive work when the Speed Cameras include usual speed cameras, red light cameras, average speed cameras, the ability to report police camera vans at the side of roads and also download this information when others have reported it!

The Lifetime Traffic always connected, does not require a phone data connection, and is beneficial for those using the device abroad as there are no additional charges for connecting abroad. The traffic updates every 2 minutes, and if the connection is lost (driving through an area of little signal), the device will reconnect once signal returns.
Having used the Go 6000 in London, I was very pleased with the results, the precision of where queues start/end, the delays encountered and the way that the Go 6000 would route me around certain traffic jams.

The look & feel of the maps are very nice, especially with 3D buildings in certain areas. The lane view assist at larger junctions is useful, as is the route bar on the right hand side, showing the next 30-40 miles worth of your journey (queues, petrol stations, stops, road works, speed cameras, etc). If in average speed road works, the device will calculate your average speed, and when in queues, it will give you an indication as to when the queue will end and the traffic will begin to speed up again.

My final point in this review is the excellent ability to search for restaurants nearby, and other attractions - useful if you're visiting an area and are not sure what restaurants are around, or if you want to break up a journey with a stop somewhere (tourist spots!).

I also purchased the Tom Tom dashboard mount discs, so not to mark the windscreen with the "sucker" pad, and am very pleased with the strength of the pads.

2.0 out of 5 stars Best of a bad bunch, 25 Aug. 2014
I have been avoiding writing this review as I didn't want to leave negative comments about niggles that I was aware of before I purchased the item (GO 5000). However, I bought the item in good faith expecting TomTom to update the firmware and I had no idea that the niggles would have such an effect on the overall usability of the system. I've just had another email from TomTom asking me to leave a review, so here it is.

Let's start with the good stuff. Ignoring the niggles, this is a five-star bit of kit. Almost everything about it has been wonderful. The screen is the perfect size; incredibly sharp with vivid colours. The audio quality is superb. The way the device just snaps in and out of the holder is brilliant. The European maps were incredibly detailed and absolutely flawless on a month-long road trip around Germany, France, Switzerland and Italy.

The TomTom Traffic service is excellent too. Living in Central London, it is often impossible to know whether to cut through London, head out to the M25 or take the back streets. So far, TomTom has not let me down and has taken me on some weird and wonderful routes avoiding accidents that I've only heard about later on the radio. You do have to put ultimate faith in the directions though. I often wonder why TomTom is suddenly taking me off a route that I am very familiar with. It would be nice to be able to scroll through the proposed route to see where/why the diversion is being recommended, but I appreciate that it would be very hard to implement in practice.

The POI search is very good. I love the ability to search the POIs by shop name, etc. - very useful when searching for petrol or a supermarket. Some obvious POIs can be hard to find, but this is often to do with the way the POI has been described rather than the capabilities of the device.

The TomTom software is a bit rubbish. I would prefer to have more control to download the updates manually and install them when I am ready. The software makes it hard to see what is going on and I had problems with some of the earlier updates, so it would have been good to be able to see whether they had actually installed or not.

None of the above is sufficient to reduce my opinion of what would otherwise be a five star product. But....

The mobile connectivity in the UK has been very disappointing. During a month in the Black Forest and on tiny Swiss mountain roads, the service never let me down once. As soon as I got back to the UK, I started to experience problems connecting to the servers. This has happened in Central London and out in far less congested areas, so I can't be sure whether it is the mobile network that is congested or the TomTom servers. I guess we can't do much about mobile networks but, if it is the TomTom server, it just isn't good enough. The failure to connect seems to often happen on a Sunday afternoon, so I assume that this is to do with peak hours demand - but that is when you need the traffic service most. Down to four stars for this.

The big one is the old chestnut of "avoid roadblock." Having just upgraded from a TomTom ONE, this is a feature that had only used occasionally but been an absolute lifesaver when I used it. I had read the comments on this and other forums about the lack of feature. I had also read about how TomTom has been very good in listening to customer feedback and provided a good amount of new features since the 5000 was originally launched, so I was optimistic that this feature would be implemented soon. Even with the last update (choice of alternative routes), this feature has not been reintroduced. You only have to look through a few reviews here or on the TomTom forum to see how many users want this feature. I cannot understand why this feature is still missing.

My first experience of this was late at night in the Swiss Alps, having been out for dinner. The main road out of the valley was closed for resurfacing. TomTom was showing the road as "stationary traffic" but did not register that it was closed. I followed the diversion out of town and, when I was back on the main road, I recalculated my route. TomTom took me straight back into the valley and back to the same set of roadworks. Another attempt using the "workaround" brought me back to the roadworks, but at the other end. As I could not add a roadblock, TomTom was unable to find me a way out of the valley. In the end, I just had to continue in the general direction that I wanted to head, hoping that I would not come to a dead end or on a loop that would take me back where I started. After some very precarious narrow, pitch black roads, I finally hit another road and was able to continue my journey.

I've read all of the comments about the workaround and why this is a minor issue, but one of the main features of a sat nav device should be to get you around obstacles and road closures, whether you are familiar with the area or not. As it worked so well on TomTom ONE I am at a loss to understand why it is still missing from GO5000. So TomTom loses two stars for this - one for the missing feature and one for not listening to customer feedback.

As a final point, I have experimented with the new 'alternative route' feature and find it pretty pointless. TomTom doesn't seem to provide any explanation for why it has calculated the alternative routes, nor does it allow you to influence one of these routes (e.g. via a particular POI, or favouring Motorways over A-Roads or vice versa). Without the feature to browse the routes quickly, it seems that the energy put into implementing this feature should have been spent elsewhere (avoid roadblock, for example?).

All in all, a superb device that is severely compromised by the lack of some essential (and frequently demanded) features.

5.0 out of 5 stars The new Apple sat-nav, the iGO. Toyota won't be happy. Wait, it's made by who?..., 9 Aug. 2013
DARKcell - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
---- UPDATED (24/12/14) REVIEW BEGINS ----
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

*** I try to update this review regularly, but to see the full list of software updates, visit the TomTom website here http://bit.ly/VtrbFW. ***

This is an in depth product review (updated after almost 18 months use) for TomTom's premium navigation device, the GO 6000 (but will also largely apply to any of the GO X0, GO X00 and GO X000 devices - for this reason, I have also placed this review within their respective pages). My aim is to provide an honest viewpoint that will help you make a decision about purchasing, whether you're a complete newcomer to sat-navs, or use them on a daily basis. In certain aspects, I will compare this device to my previous sat-nav, a TomTom GO LIVE 1005 World. In recent reviews of TomTom's latest sat-navs I have seen a worrying trend of consumers buying a product without really realising what that specific model can, and more importantly can't do. I will attempt to enlighten you all.

---- TOMTOM GO X0/X00/X000 PRODUCT RANGE DIFFERENCES ----

Let's get this out the way.
There are essentially three separate ranges of the TomTom GO series, the X0, X000 and X000. All of these sat-navs have screen sizes designated by their first number (e.g. GO 50 and GO 5000 have a 5" screen, GO 600 and GO 6000 have a 6" screen). If you're comparing sat-navs with the same number of '0's after the screen size number, then as far as I'm aware, the only differences are going to be screen size and screen resolution (resolution improving as you go up screen sizes). All of the GO sat-navs have the same software within them, and all come with lifetime TomTom map updates (that's not your lifetime!).

GO 40, 50 and 60 :
This is the newest range (and cheapest) of the series. They are entry level sat-navs. The major (with a capital 'M') feature that differentiates these devices from the other GO sat-navs, is that they have a resistive screen. The GO X00 and GO X000 sat-navs all have capacitive screens. A resistive screen registers pressure on the screen, so it's older technology, therefore costing less. Capacitive screens are what you'll find on all modern smartphones; smooth glass that require no actual pressure on the screen to register input. Capacitive is more modern, and better in my opinion, therefore costing more. Connection to Live services (i.e. traffic) is done via a smartphone (explained further just below).

GO 500 and 600 (There used to be a GO 400, but that has been discontinued by TomTom) :
These mid-range GO sat-navs use capacitive screens, so in my opinion are better than the above range. This range (X00) compares directly to the X000 below, but differs in one major way - connectivity. The X00 range connects to TomTom Live services (i.e. traffic) via a smartphone. This simply means that you need a smartphone (I believe only iPhone or Android) with you at all times if you want to get traffic updates, which you do. To find out if your phone is compatible: http://goo.gl/KQx346. Keep in mind you will be using up data on your phone, so review your contract etc before purchase.

GO 5000 and 6000 :
These are the premium sat-navs from TomTom. They have a capacitive screen, and are 'always connected'. Simply put, they get traffic updates automatically, as they have a sim-card inside. There is no need to connect your phone to it ever, or even have your phone with you.

---- AESTHETICS AND ACCESSORIES ----

It's beautiful. Simple.
I liked the look of my previous sat-nav, but in my opinion this is even more attractive. The corners are more rounded and I prefer the grey plastic on the front as opposed to the black. The 6 inch model is massive, but then it was always going to be. With a recent software update, you can now change the size of text and buttons; small, medium or large. I prefer the small, but I imagine people with eyesight issues will be glad of this enlarging ability.
Bottom line, I love the size of the 6" sat-nav and don't regret it. If justification to the wife for forking out extra for a bigger screen is needed, then you can always claim it's safer!

The supplied window mount is just like the one provided with my old GO LIVE 1005, only better. I had a few issues with the old one where I'd slot the device into the mount, and just presume it was charging, only for it to die at the most inopportune moment. This time, the charging cable (micro-USB & same length as previous) plugs directly into the back of the mount, never touching the actual sat-nav. The magnet holding the device in place is also stronger than previously, as anything less than a firm pull will simply tilt the mount. To date, this is the best window mount for any sat-nav I have owned/used, it just works.

18 months ago, none of the GO series came with a case. I purchased TomTom's own universal case for 6 inch sat-navs for £20 from Amazon (I believe the one currently being offered with the GO 50 'Winter Edition'). I wasn't massively impressed. In the first six months, it was a tight fit; I mean very tight. Once opened you could hold it upside down and the sat-nav wouldn't budge. This might be a plus for some, but for me it became a pain to put in and out, something that would surely push the security-stupid to leave it on show. The case provides protection from scratches, very minor spills and being bumped around in the glove box. I would NOT want to drop it from normal holding height, even onto carpet. The interior of the case is designed in such a way that forces me to put the sat-nav in backwards, avoiding the risk of the ridiculously placed positioning material scratching the screen (not the touch screen part, but still the glass surrounding it). Clearly designed late on a Friday afternoon! My leather case for my old 5 inch sat-nav was a lot better in my opinion, if they ever sell one for my GO 6000, I'll definitely get one. TomTom also do a huge case that I've never used/seen that can hold accessories, as well as varying cases for smaller devices.
All of this said, after around six months of use, the case has loosened somewhat, and has become slightly easier to live with. I'd still prefer my old case back however!

---- NAVIGATION, TRAFFIC, MAPS AND SPEED CAMERAS ----

After almost 18 months of use, I can confidently say this sat-nav is accurate in terms of arrival times and distances. I doubt the stuff under the hood that calculates these things has changed from my old model, so I'll state what that could do, for reference, if nothing else. The GO LIVE 1005 has been to the minute accurate (on arrival times) for a + 100 mile trip, and within 5-10 minutes for a 400 mile journey. I can confirm that in my experiences, the GO series provides similar levels of accuracy.

The speed at which it finds your route is better than any sat-nav I have used before. I just performed a speed test. From the main map screen through to it having properly started navigating me for a 100 mile journey, took exactly 20 seconds. That included me typing in the address. The destination was new to the sat-nav, and was not stored in my favourites, or as they are now called 'Places'. Re-routing is fast. Not instant, but an average of 2-5 seconds and it realises what's going on. On previous models I have experienced lag round corners and roundabouts where it thinks I'm still an exit behind. Even while driving at speed, the GO series of sat-navs keeps up on the majority of occasions.

- THINGS YOU CAN DO TO YOUR CURRENT ROUTE -
- Clear route
- Find alternative
- Avoid blocked road (yes sports fans, it's finally here - not that I've ever needed it!)
- Avoid toll roads and more
- Add stop to route
- Add to my routes (save the route to your favourites effectively)
- Change route type (fastest, shortest, eco, avoid motorways, walking, cycling)
- Reorder stops
- Drive to route
- Play route preview (watch a sped-up version of your upcoming route)

When arriving at a destination, it informs you of which side of the road the address is on and where the house number is. It is either exact, very close, or wildly off. When tested against Google Maps on my phone however, I get very similar results, with certain house number/road name combinations confusing it massively. On the whole, it is generally rather close to the house number you have entered.

- TRAFFIC -
TomTom in my opinion and experience provide better traffic updates than any other manufacturer. As mentioned previously, with all of the GO sat-navs, you get lifetime (the lifetime of the product) traffic for free. Can't complain. You again have the option of it automatically re-routing you, asking you what to do, or just ploughing on into known traffic.

- MAPS -
You now get lifetime (of the product) free map updates which results in at least four downloads a year.

- SPEED CAMERAS -
You get three months free speed cameras, at which point you can either try and spot those yellow ******** built deliberately behind trees with your own eyes, or pony up £20/year. Logically, £20 is a lot less than what you would pay having got caught. Fine, points, insurance boost etc. But that's how they get you; there are other options. I use a combination of TomTom speed cameras in my GO sat-nav, alongside my phone running the app 'CamerAlert', with the database from the guys at PGPSW; which from memory is a similar price.

---- LAYOUT & FEATURES ----

At launch, the GO series was lacking a huge amount of features compared to its rivals; it was the very large, very pink, elephant in the room. I never really cared though, as they were features I never used. I never used bluetooth hands free calling, I never created my own POI's, I never used the 'Help Me' menu, the list goes on. I fully realise that many, many people will have strong opinions about certain missing features, but at the end of the day, that's why there's more than one company that makes sat-navs. TomTom has decided that this is the direction they wish to take their company, so either hop-on-board, or jump-ship.

Below is a non-exhaustive list in no particular order (broken into twos for ease of reading), of things I like, things I don't like, and things I think you may find helpful, regarding the layout and features:

-- The navigation screen is super clean. No clutter. That's good. To the point where you find yourself looking for things. That's not so good. Only recently has the clock found its way to the navigation screen, and this is ONLY when you actually have a route input. If you're just driving around without a route, then no time is visible. This probably isn't a huge issue for most, but I regularly use this device in a vehicle where the clock has been removed, so the option of having a clock on at all times would be nice.
-- There is also no battery meter on the main screen, irrelevant of whether or not a route has been plotted or if the device is charging. It's simply not there. You must press the four little dots at the bottom left to go to the main menu to see your battery. If you are charging the device, then you can't actually see how much of a charge is actually remaining, without unplugging the sat-nav. Over a year ago I suggested that the vertical cylindrical shaped icon on the navigation screen for the + and - zoom buttons could simply be filled (transparently) up with colour when the battery is full, and have the colour slowly drain down when the battery does. Simple, effective, no extra clutter, and it would look great. Recently a TomTom employee commented and said it was a good idea, so let's hope we see that, or something similar in the coming months.

-- Another battery related issue is that no matter how good the wired connection is, at times (through either a slightly faulty wire or a nudge with my knee), the device stops charging. If you're staring intently at the screen, then this is shown with the screen getting slightly darker. If you're not looking at the screen (which chances are, you won't be!), then it's basically impossible to tell. Meaning the sat-nav can die part way through a long journey as it hasn't been charging for hours. I'd like a visual and/or auditory (user selected) warning, letting me know that the device has been unplugged. Something that means that either immediately as it's unplugged, or when I glance at it 5 mins later, it's clear that it's not charging!
-- With the new (as of 27/06/14) 'dynamic route bar', you can now have both the remaining time and distance, showed at the same time. Finally! This is only available if you actually activate the dynamic route bar from within the settings, which simply put, makes it wider. It's still transparent, so you're not really losing any of your screen real estate. If you choose to have the thinner route bar, then you can't view the remaining time/distance at the same time. You are instead forced to choose between one, or have them change every three seconds. Which is not only a personal hate of mine, but also difficult to understand at a glance. They have improved it by having 'mi' or 'min' now displayed in a contrasting white colour, which makes it easier to read, but still. At a glance it's easy to confuse them, which makes you stare at it for three straight seconds, which could create some issues! My advice (if you're just using the thinner, non-dynamic route bar) is to have it on time remaining only. The distance until the next hazard/traffic/roadworks etc is already on the screen inside the route bar. If you're lucky enough to have a clear run, this will be your total remaining mileage.

-- Typing in addresses is finally enjoyable. The speed at which the letters respond to your touch is just (fractionally) shy of the iPhone 6 Plus (my only real benchmark), which is far better than any sat-nav I've owned in the past. Gone are the days when you had to enter the city first. Just type in the road name, and boom, it sorts it out.
-- As far as I can tell you still can't change the actual map colours. However, with the new (as of 27/06/14) 'Accent Colours' setting, you can change the colour of your route, your current position arrow, and a few highlights dotted around all the menus. I like the way the maps look, especially now I can have a bright green line showing my route, it stands out and looks good. Simple.

-- Pinch to zoom is good. Not on the same level as the iPhone 6 Plus, but it's getting there; slowly.
-- Your current speed goes orange if slightly over the speed limit, and red if 5mph or more over. You can also decide if you want the sat-nav start making aggresive noises if you're driving too fast!

-- Liked customisation ability and multiple menu options on previous TomTom sat-navs? Shop around. There is very little to customise (save for the new 'Accent Colours', but this won't satiate everyone) and the bare minimum of menus/options. On my old GO LIVE 1005, in the settings menu, there were 36 different further icons to click on, on the new GO series, there are around eight. And no, they haven't just condensed them extraordinarily well!
-- The navigation screen goes from day to night mode automatically at a certain time of day (I think relating to the sunset time, but I could be mistaken). This is a feature I really enjoy.

-- There is only one voice that comes standard, that is capable of reading aloud street names. There are many other voices however.
-- A fairly recent addition is the voice control. There are two ways of getting the TomTom to start listening to you; 1) Go the main menu and press 'Voice Control'; 2) Say, "Hey, TomTom". Once the sat-nav is listening to you, you can tell it to do practically anything. My issue is with the "Hey, TomTom" feature. With this feature turned on, the sat-nav is constantly listening, waiting for you to say the magic words. Saying "Hey, TomTom", is all well and good, but on a recent 2hr journey, it kept thinking I was saying it, when I was actually just listening to the radio. After half a dozen wrongful activations, I got fed up and switched it off. Not a massive issue for me, as I've never got on with voice control on any device; so it's an added feature that I'm sure many will love, but I'll happily keep off.

-- Another fairly recent addition is the sat-nav can read aloud warnings. So instead of just beeping, it will beep and shout at you to warn you of an approaching speed camera for example.
-- You can turn screen touch sounds on or off - I actually rather like them on.

-- From the main navigation screen, you can FINALLY, at-a-glance see if Live services have dropped out. A much needed feature, as annoyingly, it drops out more than I'd like - resetting the sat-nav quite often solves this, but again annoyingly, not always.
-- Tapping on your current-location arrow, brings up a quick menu allowing you to; report speed camera, mark location, change speed limit or avoid blocked road.

-- In 2D mode, tapping the highlighted route brings up another route-specific quick menu, allowing you to; clear route, find alternative route, change route type, add stop to route, manage route. Recently I had around a dozen different addresses to attend all within the same medium-sized city. I plugged them all in, by tapping on the current highlighted route, and clicking 'add stop to route'. These were in the wrong order, so after inputting them all, I selected 'reorder stops'. This brings up a very clear 2D map showing where you are, and every stop that you have inputted. You simply tap them in the order you wish to visit, ending up with your finish location. It's super quick, and super easy. I was seriously impressed.
-- Alternative routes. I like this a lot. You get to see the good old fashioned three route option, showing you how much longer the extra two routes will take.

---- CONNECTING DEVICE TO COMPUTER ----

The main issue I had was to discover the computer didn't recognise the sat-nav when it was sat in the window-mount, even though it registered as charging. Plug the micro-USB directly into the sat-nav and it connects to the computer straight away. I added my new device into my old TomTom account with very little trouble at all. The issues of the past are all but gone with the current MyDrive website from TomTom. It looks great, is very clear, and gets the job done smoothly.

✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

---- CONCLUSION ----

This has been a ridiculously long review, and if you've made it this far I applaud you, as well as apologise. I do hope you've found it helpful!

The TomTom GO series of sat-navs is definitely an acquired taste. In my opinion this is what the first dedicated Apple sat-nav would be like. Attractive, minimalistic, speedy, with very few options for customisation. For what I require it to do, it does it, practically flawlessly. I can't remove stars for features that I wouldn't use, and for that reason, I initially gave it 4 stars, (now upgraded to 4.5 stars as explained below).

In the 18 months I've used this device, the impressively regular software updates has meant that I'm raising this review to 4.5 stars. If they keep up with them, and fix a few of the little niggles I've mentioned then, for me at least, this will be a 5 star navigation device.

Parts of this review may come across as a little negative, so let me say this - I love my TomTom GO. It's an intuitive, helpful, speedy, intelligent, impressive and downright beautiful navigation device that would look at home on any windscreen. The decision to purchase, as with most things, but even more so with these devices, is a very personal one. Simply put, it will either suit your needs or it won't. In which case I'd suggest you look at older TomToms or even show your distaste by giving a Garmin a go. Say that quickly over and over again. I dare you.

OVERVIEW
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚
Would I recommend this product to a friend? Yes, needs dependent
If lost/damaged would I repurchase product? Yes

PROS:
✓ Beautiful screen
✓ Premium look and feel
✓ Window mount
✓ Traffic is best around
✓ Route planning accuracy and speed
✓ Ease of use
✓ Typing speed
✓ Handy features that are easy to use
✓ Regular software updates

CONS (not necessarily for me):
✗ Lack of features compared to previous devices
✗ Placement of time and battery indicator and other fairly basic stuff

NB:
- Check to see if you can live without the missing features
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚
If you have any questions regarding this product, feel free to leave comments down below - I'm happy to help...
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

4.0 out of 5 stars A good product, but I miss some of the features available on an earlier model, 22 Aug. 2014
Overall
This product has some excellent features; the mapping is very clear and easy to follow and the information provided by the `always connected' traffic updates is excellent. I know that recently an automatically recalculated route saved me a lot of time on a journey in southern France where I arrived at my destination much earlier than others who had left before me but who did not have this facility and got caught up in significant jams.

It is a shame that
Compared with my previous Sat Nav (a TomTom One XL) there are some annoying deficiencies. There are some facilities that I had got used to and come to reply on, that do not appear to be available on the GO 5000 and this is a great shame as they detract from what might otherwise be an excellent product. These include, for example: -
* There is no automatic increase in the volume of the voice directional instructions when travelling faster and the vehicle is noisier
* There is no reminder to drive on the correct side of the road when starting out when travelling on mainland Europe
* The current time is not shown on the route page
* The overall journey time is not shown (merely the calculated arrival time)
* It is not possible to look up your own latitude and longitude position (useful if someone is trying to find you in an area without an exact address)
* When setting a destination by latitude and longitude it is slightly less accurate than my previous Sat Nav (the last two decimal points of the seconds are no longer required / recognised)
* It is not possible to select or alter the positional pointer that indicates the location of the vehicle to make a personal choice
* The warning sounds for the different notifications is pre-set and cannot be selected as a personal choice

Having listed these points (and there may well be others), the product is still quite new to me and I am still getting used to it. I recognise it is possible that some of these `missing' services may be available and I just haven't found out how to switch them on yet, or they may be coming (I hope so).

Update downloads seem to take a long time to complete.

The pronunciation of some French cities is incorrect (e.g. Marseille, Lyon, Montélimar and Nice - but there are many others). Whilst this provided some amusement, in some cases it was quite difficult to understand.

More significantly
Entries in `My Places' do not automatically sort themselves into alphabetical order, neither can they be so sorted manually - they appear in the order they are made. This is a drawback.

My One XL allowed me to make preferred destination entries into folders I could create as personal Points of Interest, effectively allowing them to be grouped in genres. Additionally, entries in each created Points of Interest folder was listed either alphabetically or in distance from location order. The GO 5000 places all `My Places' (formerly `Points of Interest) into just one folder - not several as on the One XL, so the opportunity for tidy, grouped, preference locations is lost. This is a drawback.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best, Accurate, Navigation System., 9 Aug. 2014
I have used many other navigation systems including the older devices from TomTom, but a few months ago I got this new TomTom Go 5000 device, and I must say that it's the best one I ever had.
1) First of all the all new design and the ducking system is very easily to use you can take off the device in a split second, very good touch screen also the microphone of the device is very clear you can easily hear the voice in the whole car so the people in the back can enjoy with you, it will also help you to keep awake while driving at night.
2) And also the whole operating system has been upgraded to a absolute high standard, nice colours and voices and many furthers.
3) I would also say that the map design is much better than all other devices I ever had.
4) And I must say that the traffic updates I got on this device is very accurate it will take you the fastest way to your destination, it will show you how long every traffic queue is, and even if you decide not to take the fastest way you will not get nervous because you will know how long the queue is. and all this without any extra charge, LIFETIME....
5) The POI search works with the web, so you can easily find POI near you even if it is not saved in the device it-self.
6) Life-time upgrades to the maps for no extra charge.
7) The only thing they will charge is for Speed Cameras, and that also for a very suitable price £20 per year.
So from my view - after using it for about 9 Months - if you thing to buy any Navigation System you should buy this one, the price they asking is worth because all I have explained above.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but missing a few features, 5 Feb. 2015
Darren Allen (Cambridgeshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I have just upgraded from my GO520 to the new GO5000, so thought I would share my thoughts.
First of all when deciding on your purchase, be careful of old reviews, as some of the early bugs and issues have been resolved.
On the whole it is a nice upgrade, the screen is good, the touch is good, the magnetic mount is good, the traffic seems great and very accurate, up to 96 favourites can be stores, extra maps for the rest of the world can be purchased and added.
It is possible to transfer Favourites from your old device, see the details in the link below:

But there are a few missing features:
1. There is a complete lack of ability to add personal POI's
2. The ability to 'avoid part of route' has gone.
4. The 'use current destination' feature for adding a Favourite has gone, so you have to click on the map, which is much more awkward.
5. The ability to edit the location of a Favourite.

I guess the lack of custom POI's is the biggest deal breaker, so it depends how important that feature is to you, but apart from that it is a good device.

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best choice, 13 Mar. 2015
I bought the Go 5000 to replace a Garmin 2597LMT that I had bought a couple of months previously.

The TomTom is not perfect, but I have found it to perform a lot better than the Garmin.

I had owned a TomTom Go 740 live for several years and had found it to be a useful device. The new Go 5000 lacks some of the features of my old Go 740, notably the facility to connect to my old bluetooth mobile. But I don't miss the phone facility as it is not really safe to make phone calls, even 'hands free'.

As a route planner, I am satisfied with my new Sat Nav. Generally it works out a sensible route, without sending you down the narrow unclassified roads round here. That was a serious problem with the Garmin.

The display is very clear, much better than the old 740 and easier on the eye than the Garmin.

The display generally shows the road number, whereas this was generally missing on the Garmin.

Turn instruction on the road are mainly timely, sometimes the display gets a bit behind on roundabouts, but generally it is OK.

The device was rather short on memory once I had loaded up the maps. I installed a SDHC memory card and this seemed to sort that out. I had the same problem with the Garmin, but it was unable to access the extra memory.

Browsing the route is easy, so you can check if you are happy with the route before you set out.

It is too early to say how effective the traffic feature is. So far it has failed to register closed roads and others have reported this problem. It seems that there is now a feature to avoid closed roads, but you have to manually register the closure.

The MyDrive update application proved very unreliable to start with. It repeatedly crashed and it took ages to get the device loaded up. Many other users were reporting the problem at the time and it was difficult to find the support site where some information was available.

It seems to have been fixed now and the last updates have been trouble free.

On the whole I like the device and I am happy to recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars I was going to return it ... and then I used it!, 19 Aug. 2013
When I received my Go 6000 Europe I felt really disappointed. I was driving from London to the wilds of the Highlands and I wanted to enter my destination location using Longitude and Latitude coordinates which I could do on my Go 950 Live. But the 6000 has no Long/Lat capability (how is this even possible, really?). I spent a fair bit of time locating my destination on google maps using my hosts' directions and then on the Go 6000 map. I saved that location to "My Places" (favourites). Another annoyance/disappointment is that my 950's extra memory card map of North America won't work in the 6K as the maps/cards are device specific. I was ready to return the 6000 for a refund.

Then I drove to Scotland with it. Nine hours. The device was actually wonderful - and I really took some convincing. The route finding was fast; the timing punctual to the minute (mine seems to show both arrival time and miles concurrently - current time would be nice). It even found a last minute B-road re-routing through Glasgow suburbs to avoid traffic on the motorway. I am not sure it saved a great deal of time, but I know I was happier than chugging along in the traffic. The display is clear. The traffic incident reporting is very good. When reporting traffic incidents the display shows some information in a tiny red typeface that neither I, as the driver, nor my wife could read. I wonder what it said?

Even without the Long/Lat and the No. Am. map (not available yet, evidently), I am keeping the device. And the support via email and phone is excellent. I have almost always found this to be the case with TomTom. With the Go 6k, the woman with whom I corresponded kept responding to my mails about missing features and my disappointments and said that she had passed my comments to the appropriate TT team. She did mention though that if Long/Lat was introduced, it would not be available by software update which I guess means that early adopters are out of luck - unless it is a firmware update which we can get via MyTomTom. If not that would be a real shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best yet, 24 Mar. 2014
I read the mixed reviews, most of the negatives was because less options and extras. Decided to buy and first impression absolutely love it. It does everything I need a Sat Nav to do and it does them very well. First connection to PC updates took about 2 hours then ready to go. Easy to activate the services. Looks good, performs well. I, personally, have always had Tomtoms and this is way ahead of the others. Not cheap but you get what you pay for. I worked for a company that installed Garmin in all the vehicles. To me Tomtom are so much better.

UPDATE.
Just returned from using it on a long journey. All my initial thoughts about it confirmed. Love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars TomTom lowering standards, 22 Jan. 2015
Tezlaw (Worcestershire, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this model Tom Tom because my 940 go live after 5 years was beginning to play up and Tom Tom appointed technicians in the UK were unable to fix it. I would have bought the better model (6000) but it seemed bigger than my car so I was forced to down grade. I consider myself quite an expert using TomTom and was very disappointed that this model and even if I had bought the 6000 is no where as easy or positive to use as the 940 Go live that I was replacing. I initially paid twice as much back in 2009 for the 940, the 5000 is so inferior in design and application. The 5000 does the job, it fires up quick, it's easy to link up to my computer for updates. It does not have many set up options and the night screen really is dull and lifeless, the normal daylight screen lacks the detail the 940 delivered. The window bracket is simple and positive, thank goodness TomTom retained the cable connections into the bracket. I do not enjoy using this model TomTom and rue the day I was forced the purchase a replacement. I think TomTom have lost their way and need the look at previous models and produce the next generation with strong links to previous models. I feel the latest models are based on boffins and geeks being clever and totally ignoring practicality. TomTom listen to your faithfull long term customers/users, it can't only be me who is hugely disappointed.