---- UPDATE - 27/06/14 ----

Published 12 months ago by DARKcell

1.0 out of 5 stars warning look carefully at what this does not offer
As a TomTom user for some 10 years I decided to update my ageing TomTom 950. Which was getting slower and slower with each update and I thought I would wait an extra couple of weeks for the all new TomTom 6000.
Wow what a disappointment.
Published 12 months ago by J. A. Kennedy

5.0 out of 5 stars The new Apple sat-nav, the iGO. Toyota won't be happy. Wait, it's made by who?..., 9 Aug 2013
DARKcell - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: TomTom GO 6000 EU 6-Inch Sat Nav with Full European Lifetime Maps, Lifetime Traffic Updates, Always Connected and Interactive Screen Includes Click & Mount Car Charger and USB Cable (Electronics)
---- UPDATE - 27/06/14 ----

It shocks me that even now, after this device has been out almost a year, there are still people spending decent sums of money on such a product, not having done any research on it whatsoever, and then coming onto Amazon and putting in a negative review complaining about the missing features. To those people - do a tiny amount of research into the things you buy, or grow up and stop complaining about them post-purchase, such reviews only show your own incompetence. Rant over. Onto the update.

This update focusses on features that are yet to come to the GO series of sat-navs, as well as a few of my new-found annoyances. Some I've stumbled across, others have been brought to my attention by communication from other customers in the comments section below.

- 'Avoid road block' still isn't a feature. There is a work around by zooming out on the map and selecting a waypoint. This hasn't been a major issue for myself, but is for a considerable amount of people, so worth a mention. As of 27/06/14, you can choose an 'alternative route', I'm yet to test this out with regards to trying to avoid closed roads etc, so can't speak to its effectiveness.
- There is a more noticeable lag than when it was new. This can sometimes cause you to press again thinking it hasn't registered your initial press, only for it take your second press and apply it to the next screen, causing you to bounce around menus annoyingly. Doesn't happen a whole lot, but enough to warrant a mention.
- An option of a mute button on the main navigation screen would be great.
- The four dots at the bottom left to get you to the main menu are just too small to use when driving.
- There is still no clock showing the current time. Probably not a huge issue for most, but I regularly use this device in a vehicle where the clock has been removed, so the option would be nice.
- Still no battery/charge indicator on the main navigation screen.

---- SOFTWARE UPDATES - 27/06/14 ----

There have been a number of software updates to the GO series of sat-navs since my purchase. To see the full list of updates, visit the TomTom website here http://bit.ly/VtrbFW. Below (starting with the most recent) is a list of some of the main features that have been added/changed. Any of my own comments regarding the updates, will be marked clearly with '*****' above and below my opinions :

VERSION 13.057:
- New map colours. You can change to new map colours with better contrast.
- Quick menu. Tap the speed panel or the arrow showing your current location to show the quick menu. From here you can; report speed camera, mark location, change speed limit.
- Wider route bar. The wider route bar shows exit information, amenities, additional fuel station information, rest areas, and much more.
- Alternative route planning. After planning your route, select it to get a pop up menu button; open the menu and select Alternative route, then find Alternative route.
- Accent Colours. You can now customise the display of your device with different colour schemes.
- Share changes to the map. It is now possible to share changes to the map with the TomTom Map Share community.

New map colours:
- As far as I can tell, this is linked with the accent colours. I have chosen the brightest green accent colour. This means that my menus have dabs of the bright green here and there. This colour carries though to your route, during navigation, and also your 'current location' arrow. I don't believe you can actually change the background colours of the map however.
Quick menu:
- Really handy to be able to mark your current location, so you can go back to it later and rename it etc.
Wider route bar:
- This is worth a big mention from me, as you can now view both the time remaining AND distance remaining at the same time. It's been a while coming, but it's finally here! Another big addition to the route bar, is the ability to quickly see the status of LIVE services.
Alternative routes:
- I like this a lot. You get to see the good old fashioned three route option, showing you how much longer the extra two routes will take.
Accent colours:
- This customises the menus, current location arrow, and route etc, not the actual map colour.

VERSION 13.051:
- Voice control has now been added

*****
There are two ways of getting the TomTom to start listening to you. 1) Go the main menu and press 'Voice Control'; 2) Say, "Hey, TomTom". Once the sat-nav is listening to you, you can tell it to do practically anything. My issue is with the "Hey, TomTom" feature. With this feature turned on, the sat-nav is constantly listening, waiting for you to say the magic words. Saying "Hey, TomTom", is all well and good, but on a recent 2hr journey, it kept thinking I was saying it, when I was actually just listening to the radio. After half a dozen wrongful activations, I got fed up and switched it off. Not a massive issue for me, as I've never got on with voice control on any device, so it's an added feature that I'm sure many will love, but I'll happily keep off.

VERSION 13.030:
- My Routes - (We have added My Routes to the GO. You can use My Routes to save, retrieve, edit and delete routes, including itineraries with multiple stops).
- Reorder stops (itinerary planning) - (When you have planned a route with multiple stops, you can now adjust the order of the stops).
- Drive to a route - (When you have planned a route from a starting point that is not your current location, you can now drive to the start of that route. SelectDrive via here, to plan a route from your current location to the starting point of the route, and start following the route).
- Navigate to latitude longitude coordinates - (In the search box, you can now enter a specific set of latitude longitude coordinates).
- Warning sounds when speeding - (You can now both see a visual warning and hear a warning sound when speeding).
- 0-5 km/h too fast: the speed panel turns orange. > 5 km/h too fast: the speed panel turns red.
-Now you can also choose to hear a warning sound when speeding: > 5 km/h too fast: you hear three beeps. The warning sound can be turned on and off in the Main Menu.
- Time-dependent speed limits - (We now offer time-dependent speed limits in the following European countries: Germany, Poland, Sweden and the Netherlands (requires map version 9.20 or higher, which will be released in the near future)). If you are driving in these countries, the speed limit in the speed panel changes depending on the time of day.
- Other bug fixes and improvements
- Improved route re-calculation - (We have optimised the re-calculation of routes)

VERSION13.020:

- You can now plan a route in advance by choosing a start point and a destination.
- You can now search using single-street or area postcodes.
- You can now report speed cameras.
- In the 3D guidance view you can now pinch to zoom.
- An icon in the main menu and notifications in the driving view now tell you about the connectivity status of TomTom services.
- On the GO 400, GO 500 and GO 600 you can now delete smartphones from the TomTom Traffic & Speed Cameras menu.
- The route bar now shows speed cameras and the first two fuel stations on your route.
- Speed cameras on your route are now shown in the map view and in the guidance view.
- We have improved road signs and speed limits for Australia and New Zealand.
- You can now download premium voices using MyTomTom.
- The keyboard has been improved for entering passwords and email addresses.
- The search interface has been improved.

---- UPDATES END ----
---- UPDATED (27/06/14) REVIEW BEGINS ----
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

This is an in depth product review (updated here and there after almost 11 months use) for TomTom's premium navigation device, the GO 6000 Europe (but will also largely apply to any of the GO X00 and GO X000 devices - for this reason, I have also placed this review within their respective pages). My aim is to provide an honest viewpoint that will help you make a decision about purchasing, whether you're a complete newcomer to sat-navs, or use them on a daily basis. In certain aspects, I will compare this device to my previous sat-nav, a TomTom GO LIVE 1005 World. In recent reviews of TomTom's latest sat-navs I have seen a worrying trend of consumers buying a product without really realising what that specific model can, and more importantly can't do. I will attempt to enlighten you all.

---- TOMTOM GO X00/X000 PRODUCT RANGE DIFFERENCES ----

Let's get this out the way. The GO 400/500/600 products (only difference being screen size and resolution - 400/500 have a resolution of 480x272 and the 600 a resolution 800x480 [Thanks to 'Bill Roberts' for this correction about resolution]) all connect to LIVE services (i.e. traffic) via a smartphone. This simply means that you need a smartphone (I believe only iPhone or Android) with you at all times if you want to get traffic updates, which you do. To find out if your phone is compatible, http://goo.gl/KQx346. Keep in mind you will be using up data on your phone, so review your contract etc before purchase. The GO 5000/6000 (again only difference between each other is screen size and resolution, the 5000 being 480x272 and the 6000, 800x480) are "always connected". Simply put, they get traffic updates automatically, without having to connect your phone every time.

---- AESTHETICS AND ACCESSORIES ----

It's beautiful. Simple.
I liked the look of my previous sat-nav, but in my opinion this is even more attractive. The corners are more rounded and I prefer the grey plastic on the front as opposed to the black. The 6 inch model is massive, but then it was always going to be. If you're considering the 6 inch model to make text easier to read, don't. The text is the same size as the other models, which to me, makes sense. Bottom line, I love the size and don't regret it. If justification to the wife for forking out extra for a bigger screen is needed, then you can always claim it's safer!
The supplied window mount is just like the one provided with the GO LIVE 1005, only better. I had a few issues with the old one where I'd slot the device into the mount, and just presume it was charging, only for it to die at the most inopportune moment. This time, the charging cable (micro-USB & same length as previous) plugs directly into the back of the mount, never touching the actual sat-nav. The magnet holding the device in place is also stronger than previously, as anything less than a firm pull will simply tilt the mount. To date, this is the best window mount for any sat-nav I have owned/used, it just works.
None of the new GO range come with a case. I have purchased TomTom's own universal case for 6 inch sat-navs for 20 from Amazon. I'm not massively impressed. It's a tight fit, I mean very tight. Once open you can hold it upside down and the sat-nav won't budge. This might be a plus for some, but for me it's already a pain to put in and out, something that will surely push the security-stupid to leave it on show. The case will provide protection from scratches, very minor spills and being bumped around in the glove box. I would NOT want to drop it from normal holding height, even onto carpet. The interior of the case is designed in such a way that forces me to put the sat-nav in backwards, avoiding the risk of the ridiculously placed positioning material scratching the screen (not the touch screen part, but still the glass surrounding it). Clearly designed late on a Friday afternoon! My leather case for my old 5 inch sat-nav was a lot better in my opinion, if they ever sell one for my new 6 incher, I'll definitely get one. TomTom also do a huge case that I've never used/seen that can hold accessories, as well as varying cases for smaller devices.

---- NAVIGATION, TRAFFIC, MAPS AND SPEED CAMERAS ----

After almost 11 months of use, I can confidently say this sat-nav is accurate in terms of arrival times and distances. I doubt the stuff under the hood that calculates these things has changed from my old model, so I'll state what that could do, for reference, if nothing else. The GO LIVE 1005 has been to the minute accurate (on arrival times) for a + 100 mile trip, and within 5-10 minutes for a 400 mile journey. The GO series provides similar levels of accuracy.
The speed at which it finds your route is better than any sat-nav I have used before. I just performed a speed test. From the main map screen through to it having properly started navigating me for a 100 mile journey, took exactly 20 seconds. That included me typing in the address. The destination was new to the sat-nav, and was not stored in my favourites, or as they are now called 'Places'. Re-routing is fast. Not instant, but an average of 2-5 seconds and it realises what's going on. On previous models I have experienced lag round corners and roundabouts where it thinks I'm still an exit behind. Even while driving at speed, the new sat-nav keeps up on the majority of occasions.
When arriving at a destination, it informs you of which side of the road the address is on and where the house number is. It is either exact, very close, or wildly off. When tested against Google Maps on my phone however, I get very similar results, with certain house number/road name combinations confusing it massively. On the whole, it is generally rather close to the house number you have entered.
- TRAFFIC -
TomTom in my opinion and experience provide better traffic updates than any other manufacturer. Now with these new models, you get lifetime (the lifetime of the product) traffic for free. Can't complain. You again have the option of it automatically re-routing you, asking you what to do, or just ploughing on into known traffic.
- MAPS -
You now get lifetime (of the product) free map updates which results in at least four downloads a year.
- SPEED CAMERAS -
With the new GO range, you get three months free speed cameras, at which point you can either try and spot those yellow ******** built deliberately behind trees with your own eyes, or pony up 20/year. Logically, 20 is a lot less than what you would pay having got caught. Fine, points, insurance boost etc. But that's how they get you; there are other options. I use a combination of TomTom speed cameras in my GO sat-nav, alongside my phone running the app 'CamerAlert', with the database from the guys at PGPSW.

---- LAYOUT & FEATURES ----

Let's address the elephant in the room. The new GO series is lacking a decent amount of features compared to the previous GO LIVE 1005. There, I feel better. That said, and I am being completely honest here, I don't care. I simply never used them. I never used bluetooth hands free calling, I never created my own POI's, I never used the 'Help Me' menu, the list goes on. I fully realise that many, many people will have strong opinions about these missing features (and all the others), but at the end of the day, that's why there's more than one company that makes sat-navs.
I simply cannot list all of the features that have been left out, Amazon don't have enough server space. Instead I will talk about a few things that I like and dislike about the layout and features.
---The navigation screen is super clean. No clutter. That's good. To the point where you find yourself looking for things. That's bad. There is no clock or battery meter on the main screen, even when charging (whether in navigation mode or not). For these you must press once and go to the main menu. The only way to figure out if the device is actually charging is by the tiny lightning bolt inside the battery, on the main menu. The vertical cylindrical shaped icon on the navigation screen for the + and - zoom buttons could simply be filled (transparently) up with colour when the battery is full, and have the colour slowly drain down. Simple, effective, no extra clutter, and it would look great. That took me around 20 seconds of staring at the screen to come up with, come on TomTom!
-- With the new (as of 27/06/14) 'dynamic route bar', you can now have both the remaining time and distance, showed at the same time. Finally! This is only available if you actually activate the dynamic route bar, which simply put, makes it wider. It's still transparent, so you're not loosing any of your screen real estate. This wider route bar provides the perfect space (and there is a perfect space), to put a clock showing the current time on the screen, or at least the option to show one. If you choose to have the thinner route bar, then you can't view the remaining time/distance at the same time. You are instead forced to choose between one, or have them change every three seconds. Which is not only my new worst feature on any device, ever, but difficult to understand at a glance. They have improved it by having 'mi' or 'min' now displayed in a contrasting white colour, which makes it easier to read, but still. At a glance it's easy to confuse them, which makes you stare at it for three straight seconds, which could create some issues! My advice is to have it on time remaining only. The distance until the next hazard/traffic/roadworks etc is already on the screen inside the route bar. If you're lucky enough to have a clear run, this will be your total remaining mileage.
--- Typing in addresses is finally enjoyable. The speed at which the letters respond to your touch is akin to an iPhone 5s. Gone are the days when you had to enter the city first. Just type in the road name, and boom, it sorts it out.
-- As far as I can tell you still can't change the actual map colours. However, with the new (as of 27/06/14) 'Accent Colours' setting, you can change the colour of your route, your current position arrow, and a few highlights dotted around all the menus. I like the way the maps look, especially now I can have a bright green line showing my route, it stands out and looks good. Simple.
--- Pinch to zoom is good. Not on the same level as an iPhone 5s, but it's getting there slowly.
--- Your current speed goes orange if slightly over the speed limit, and red if 5mph or more over.
--- Liked customisation ability and multiple menu options on previous TomTom sat-navs? Shop around. There is very little to customise (save for the new 'Accent Colours', but this won't satiate everyone) and the bare minimum of menus/options. On my old GO LIVE 1005, in the settings menu, there were 36 different further icons to click on, on the new GO series, there are around 10. And no, they haven't just condensed them extraordinarily well!

---- CONNECTING DEVICE TO COMPUTER ----

The main issue I had was to discover the computer didn't recognise the sat-nav when it was sat in the window mount, even though it registered as charging. Plug the micro-USB directly into the sat-nav and it connects straight away. I added my new device into my old account with very little trouble at all. The issues of the past are all but gone with the new MyDrive website from TomTom. It looks great, is very clear, and gets the job done.

✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚

---- CONCLUSION ----

This has been a ridiculously long review, and if you've made it this far I applaud you, as well as apologise. I do hope you've found it helpful.

The TomTom GO series of sat-navs is definitely an acquired taste. In my opinion this is what the first dedicated Apple sat-nav would be like. Attractive, minimalistic, speedy, with very few options. For what I require it to do, it does it, flawlessly. I can't remove stars for features that I wouldn't use, and for that reason, I initially gave it 4 stars, (now upgraded to 4.5 stars as explained below).

In the 11 months I've used this device, the impressively regular software updates has meant that I'm raising this review to 4.5 stars. If they keep up with them, and fix a few of the little niggles I've mentioned then, for me at least, this will be a 5 star navigation device.

Parts of this review will come across as negative, so let me say this - I love my TomTom GO. It's an intuitive, helpful, speedy, intelligent, impressive and downright beautiful navigation device that would look at home on any windscreen. The decision to purchase, as with most things, but even more so with these devices, is a very personal one. Simply put, it will either suit your needs or it won't. In which case I'd suggest you look at older TomTom's or even show your distaste by giving a Garmin a go. Say that quickly over and over again. I dare you.

OVERVIEW
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚
Would I recommend this product to a friend? Yes, needs dependent
If lost/damaged would I repurchase product? Yes

PROS:
+ Beautiful screen
+ Premium look and feel
+ Window mount
+ Traffic is best around
+ Route planning accuracy and speed
+ Ease of use
+ Typing speed

CONS (not necessarily for me):
- Decent lack of features compared to previous devices
- Placement of time and battery indicator and other fairly basic stuff

NB:
- Check to see if you can live without the missing features
✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚✚
If you have any questions regarding this product, feel free to leave comments down below - I'm happy to help...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Device, Great Features, 26 Feb 2014
Joshua (Weston-Super-Mare) - See all my reviews
Despite some of the poor publicity that TomTom have received on the new "Go" range of SatNav's, I am actually a massive fan of them.

I purchased the Go 6000 as a massive upgrade on my previous Mio Satnav. The main reasons for purchasing a TomTom was the lifetime maps and the addition of traffic updates during my journey (I looked at Garmin devices, but the Garmin traffic seemed to be beaten by TomTom traffic in most situations).

After purchasing this device (not from Amazon), I opened the box to discover the true size of the device! It is massive, especially compared to my previous device!
After switching on the Go 6000 for the first time, I was prompted to make an account for the lifetime traffic and lifetime maps (due to the Go 6000 having an inbuilt sim-card for data, the account was ready for use when I logged on to my pc).

I find using the device to be a quick and easy experience, searching for addresses is fast, and since the 13.040 update, searching for post codes is now a speedy task.
One possible downside is the size of the map update downloads. The V925 map update just released came in at just under 5.5GB's. Fortunately, these are only released once a quarter, so again, it isn't the biggest problem.

Generally, every day there are smaller map updates (from the Map Share Reporter), which gives every day users the chance to change any mistakes or update new roads and inform TomTom of the changes.

I paid for the speed camera subscription after the first 3 months, due to finding them useful over the first 3 months of the device. Updates for this are usually every week and come in at around 2.6MB and take seconds to install. Impressive work when the Speed Cameras include usual speed cameras, red light cameras, average speed cameras, the ability to report police camera vans at the side of roads and also download this information when others have reported it!

The Lifetime Traffic always connected, does not require a phone data connection, and is beneficial for those using the device abroad as there are no additional charges for connecting abroad. The traffic updates every 2 minutes, and if the connection is lost (driving through an area of little signal), the device will reconnect once signal returns.
Having used the Go 6000 in London, I was very pleased with the results, the precision of where queues start/end, the delays encountered and the way that the Go 6000 would route me around certain traffic jams.

The look & feel of the maps are very nice, especially with 3D buildings in certain areas. The lane view assist at larger junctions is useful, as is the route bar on the right hand side, showing the next 30-40 miles worth of your journey (queues, petrol stations, stops, road works, speed cameras, etc). If in average speed road works, the device will calculate your average speed, and when in queues, it will give you an indication as to when the queue will end and the traffic will begin to speed up again.

My final point in this review is the excellent ability to search for restaurants nearby, and other attractions - useful if you're visiting an area and are not sure what restaurants are around, or if you want to break up a journey with a stop somewhere (tourist spots!).

I also purchased the Tom Tom dashboard mount discs, so not to mark the windscreen with the "sucker" pad, and am very pleased with the strength of the pads.

4.0 out of 5 stars I was going to return it ... and then I used it!, 19 Aug 2013
When I received my Go 6000 Europe I felt really disappointed. I was driving from London to the wilds of the Highlands and I wanted to enter my destination location using Longitude and Latitude coordinates which I could do on my Go 950 Live. But the 6000 has no Long/Lat capability (how is this even possible, really?). I spent a fair bit of time locating my destination on google maps using my hosts' directions and then on the Go 6000 map. I saved that location to "My Places" (favourites). Another annoyance/disappointment is that my 950's extra memory card map of North America won't work in the 6K as the maps/cards are device specific. I was ready to return the 6000 for a refund.

Then I drove to Scotland with it. Nine hours. The device was actually wonderful - and I really took some convincing. The route finding was fast; the timing punctual to the minute (mine seems to show both arrival time and miles concurrently - current time would be nice). It even found a last minute B-road re-routing through Glasgow suburbs to avoid traffic on the motorway. I am not sure it saved a great deal of time, but I know I was happier than chugging along in the traffic. The display is clear. The traffic incident reporting is very good. When reporting traffic incidents the display shows some information in a tiny red typeface that neither I, as the driver, nor my wife could read. I wonder what it said?

Even without the Long/Lat and the No. Am. map (not available yet, evidently), I am keeping the device. And the support via email and phone is excellent. I have almost always found this to be the case with TomTom. With the Go 6k, the woman with whom I corresponded kept responding to my mails about missing features and my disappointments and said that she had passed my comments to the appropriate TT team. She did mention though that if Long/Lat was introduced, it would not be available by software update which I guess means that early adopters are out of luck - unless it is a firmware update which we can get via MyTomTom. If not that would be a real shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Was hesitant but made the right decision it seems, 22 April 2014
Been a Tom Tom user for many years - this is currently my third Tom Tom unit.

Had owned a Tom Tom XL Live IQ Routes Europe for 5 years - but finally realised maps were too out of date and wanted to update. Having read reviews on here I was hesitant whether to upgrade. Now glad I did.

Unit is larger than my old XL Live and as we all get older - bigger screen = better. User interface? As one who hates change I was worried about this, but it really is simple - far easier than the XL Live, after one single use I was a convert.

Mount is much better than my previous one, and the single cable dualling as both a USB connector to the laptop and a car charging lead via a plug is an improvement.

As one who like the display features of my former unit - constant display of both time to destination and distance, I was again worried about this aspect. The option to alternate between both distance and time to go is both simple and effective. I cannot stress to much how much I hate change and was worried about this. However after one journey I am content and quite like the new display.

What else am I missing from my old unit - weather? Never used it. All of the rest of the Live services are integrated in the basic unit, it tells you about fuel stations as you go along, indicates car parks as you drive along, you don't have to wait for Live Services to open then search - that is all catered for in the basic search function. Love it.

When I turned on the unit (in April 2014) the map installed was 9 months out of date. So, yes, it took time to download and update. Yes there were 4 updates to download. That took 20 minutes on my, admittedly very fast (150 Mbps), wifi connection and an hour to install once downloaded. Yes, like others 1 of the 4 failed to install at first attempt, however a second attempt to install that particular item succeeded, with an install time of 7 minutes.

More than happy, pleased I upgraded.

1.0 out of 5 stars warning look carefully at what this does not offer, 15 Aug 2013
J. A. Kennedy (UK) - See all my reviews
Wow what a disappointment.
Firstly all that you have learned about previous TomToms forget, this is worse than the transition from windows 7 to windows 8, absolutely nothing is the same.
You do not get
POI so all those nice little updates that enabled you to add a vast range of locations of specific interest is gone, Hotels, Historic Sites etc.
No itinerary, so if you’re like me and plan tours in advance forget it you cannot.
No Bluetooth so you now have to buy yourself a Bluetooth adapter for your car as well.
No input in longitude and latitude coordinates or I I cannot find any way of doing this.
I cannot find anyway of tagging map errors, the new map has an error (previous maps did not) in my road which was completed 22 years ago!
I feel TomTom have launched a half finished product and at half the price this might just be acceptable. Unless I get some quick answers from TomTom this is going back

1.0 out of 5 stars TomTom 6000, 6 Sep 2013
TomTom GO 6000 Europe

Usual good service from Amazon and a nice looking device. However, like other reviewers, I was disappointed in the removal of features that I have relied upon. I was prepared to put up with only one map style, but when I discovered I could not use 2-D map view with North-Up I repackaged the device and returned it. I did check with TomTom but they confirmed they removed this option, saying that other devices dont have it (they do - My TomTom 1005 does, CoPilot does, everyone does apart from this device).

It is such a fundamental option that I find it incredible that they chose to remove it. I know not everyone uses this, but I have been used to navigating from a real map for years, where North is naturally "Up" so it is far more comfortable for me to use this.

I do believe TomTom are quiet arrogant and dont listen to customers - it took them over a year to get My TomTom working as well as TomTom Home, which also took some time before it worked properly. They do have the best navigation and Live Services is very good, but dont buy this device unless you are OK with losing a lot of features.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just read the review from DARKCell, 9 Aug 2013
DarkCell said pretty much everything I think about the device, in far more detail than I have time to. But as I wrote a few lines on the TomTom forums about first impressions I'll share them here as I believe the more reviews people have the better....

My limited first impressions are on the positive side. I've had various TomToms over the years (last one was a 930) but never really used any features other than navigation. So all I really need is to enter a destination and get there with the addition of help getting me around any major holdups.

So talk of lacking features didn't worry me too much.

I went for the 6000 as it's always connected. I didn't want to have it rely on my smartphone.

As you open the box the first thought is, it is massive! I'm not sure if it isn't gong to be a bit big for windscreen mounting to be honest. I'd rather have a Go 5000 but with no release date set for that and the lack of decent traffic on my 930 was annoying me and I need to change now. The size of course does mean you do get a lovely large screen though, which is never bad.

I quickly and easily added a couple of my favourite destinations and got it to navigate me home from work last night. Playing with the map is a much better experience and I like the way you can drag routes like on Google maps. Entering text is, at last, a pleasant experience.

I liked the way it showed me the (unavoidable) traffic I was going to hit on the way home. On way home the computer speech seems much better, far less stilted and more descriptive than I'm used to from the 930 and generally it did as I expected and got me home on the route I thought it should.

Hardly a great test, but I've got no 'real' travel until next week.

What I really didn't like was the information displayed. Firstly the screen is massive yet all the information is tiny. I'm all for the map dominating, but with so much space I would really prefer things like the speed I'm going at and the speed limit to be much more obvious.

Information around arrival time and distance is strange. Why can't we have both?

I'd also like the clock, current speed and speed limit to be displayed clearly all the time even if I have no route set.

So for me, so far, i really like it, improving the info displayed is all I need.

***Update***

I have now used this for some serious travel.

The comments about on screen elements that are missing or just too small are still very much valid and annoying, but overall I'm very happy as it's nicely got me out of a few bits of traffic chaos approaching accidents and closed junctions which has removed some serious stress from a few of my journeys. It's reassuring to know that if you do hit that queue after junction X then there wasn't anything you could do about it, rather than my old system of having to stop to workout if junction X actually was part of my journey and then try and get my old 930 to map around something an indeterminate distance away....

5.0 out of 5 stars Best, Accurate, Navigation System., 9 Aug 2014
I have used many other navigation systems including the older devices from TomTom, but a few months ago I got this new TomTom Go 5000 device, and I must say that it's the best one I ever had.
1) First of all the all new design and the ducking system is very easily to use you can take off the device in a split second, very good touch screen also the microphone of the device is very clear you can easily hear the voice in the whole car so the people in the back can enjoy with you, it will also help you to keep awake while driving at night.
2) And also the whole operating system has been upgraded to a absolute high standard, nice colours and voices and many furthers.
3) I would also say that the map design is much better than all other devices I ever had.
4) And I must say that the traffic updates I got on this device is very accurate it will take you the fastest way to your destination, it will show you how long every traffic queue is, and even if you decide not to take the fastest way you will not get nervous because you will know how long the queue is. and all this without any extra charge, LIFETIME....
5) The POI search works with the web, so you can easily find POI near you even if it is not saved in the device it-self.
6) Life-time upgrades to the maps for no extra charge.
7) The only thing they will charge is for Speed Cameras, and that also for a very suitable price 20 per year.
So from my view - after using it for about 9 Months - if you thing to buy any Navigation System you should buy this one, the price they asking is worth because all I have explained above.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent 3D Sat Nav System, 26 July 2014
Bill Mason (England) - See all my reviews
This is a first rate sat nav. I use it both in Oxfordshire, where I live, and in Galicia, Spain, near Santiago De Compostela, where I own a holiday home. The 5 inch screen is perfectly sized, and although the 3D graphics take a little bit of getting used to, you soon adapt. When I'm in Spain, the Points of Interest feature is first rate, directing me to the castles, lighthouses and museums, and warning me about plod with their mobile cameras. I've had no issues with its use in England, for some reason my previous Tom Tom didn't recognise the existence of Ashford in Middlesex, insisting on routing me to Ashford in Kent, but this newer version has no such difficulties. Nice eye catching screen display and very user friendly, I'd recommend this for use both home and abroad.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not overly impressed, 19 May 2014
It was time to upgrade from my 3 year old tom tom one to a new system. I read the professional reviews on line and the 5000 seemed to be the right bit kit for me. How ever since I’ve had it for 3 weeks now there are a few issues which I find really frustrating.

The Good
Brilliant looking clear screen.

Superbly fast at panning routes

Cleaner sub menus to access most popular options

Great reliability over all.

The Bad
Very poor battery life, on battery max run time so far

Live traffic looses satellites, it always did, but now it doesn’t show this has happened on main screen, this means your “clear” route could be in chaos its just your Tom Tom doesn't know that, as its lost its mobile signal. My old system showed this clearly…please make an update or I’m not going to bother buying live traffic.

No means of customising menus…. Some of the options I don’t need why cant I hide them.

The update site is still really clanky….

This Tom Tom has genuinely made me think about looking elsewhere next time. My main advice is read the owners reviews on this system first… I wish I had now.