5.0 out of 5 stars Very good sound considering the size and cost!
I will admit I haven't really been BOSE's biggest fan.
Having said that my first Bose product was the first version of this speaker so perhaps it is fitting that I should find myself reviewing the Series III version.
First thing I'd like to say is this, I think Bose has learned a lot since the first iteration of this speaker, it is a definite improvement...
Published 21 months ago by Reviewser

2.0 out of 5 stars Not enough volume, not enough bass.
Published 13 days ago by Caramba

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected!, 7 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Bose ® Companion ® 2 Series III Multimedia Speaker System (Electronics)
Just installed these today and tried them with music I had played previously on other speakers which i thought not too bad. I was instantly surprised at the huge difference in quality with these speakers. They are superb for music and for films, especially with orchestral and classic music.

I have never heard better speakers on a PC than these by a long way. Anyone looking for better speakers than average, or to upgrade from old PC speakers, cannot go wrong with these.

They plug straight into your soundcard output, with a transformer for power into the mains.

I agree with all the other reviews here to date! I am really pleased I decided on these rather than the more popular ones recommended here on amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't listen to them! ... Yet..., 21 Sept. 2014
M. BERNARD (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
What can I add to the already many good reviews about these great compact desktop speaks?

Well a little tip, don't listen to them! ... Yet...

No, I am not writing a scathing review but just pointing out like many speakers and headphones you need to allow some running in time before making a judgement about the sound quality.

I bought a pair for my son to use mainly for gaming, as he was tired of wearing headphones for extended periods. Straight away he was very pleased with them. I did not tell him about how they would get better after being used for a while, as a sort of blind test. After a few days of quite extended use he commented on how they now sounded a lot better and were a match for his expensive Astro A50 gaming headset.

So don't critically judge these, or any other speaker, until they have been thoroughly 'run in' otherwise you may not be hearing them at their best.

For their size, weight and low power consumption, due to the compact switch mode power supply, they are hard to beat for the price. I did listen to these in a Bose shop before buying and have to say they sounded better than the more expensive models on display. Audiophiles would of course not be satisfied with these but then again they would not look at anything unless there were at least three noughts at the end!

UPDATE: My son has been using these now for 3 months and we both still get a buzz out of the great sound quality these little speakers can produce. I really don't think you can go wrong in adding these to your desktop setup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bose ® Companion ® 2 Series III Multimedia Speaker System, 30 April 2014
D. A. Simons (UK) - See all my reviews
After reading numerous reviews, the choice became a tossup between Creative T40s and these. I chose these because of their smaller size and glad I did to save space on my already cluttered desk. The sound is crystal clear with not too much base which is ideal for my listening preferences but may not be suitable for youngsters who feel it necessary to make the window panes vibrate.

5.0 out of 5 stars How do they do it?, 15 Mar. 2014
D. Williams (UK) - See all my reviews
I can't say much more than what has already been said by other reviewers here, but from the point of view of a retired professional musician (classical), I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of sound delivered by these speakers. Listening to orchestral/choral music on these speakers is as close as it gets to listening to a live performance in a concert hall. Bose have somehow added that spacial feeling you get at a live performance, and from such small speakers too (no bulky sub-woofer needed here).
I also listen to pop and film music, and yes, the Series III deliver a punchy performance.
They may be more expensive than other so called multimedia speakers, but the Bose Companion's are worth every penny and don't disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Speakers, 15 Aug. 2013
Funk (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Surprisingly punchy is the best way I'd describe these speakers. They put out a cracking amount of bass, to the point you really don't notice the lack of sub-woofer except in the most bass-y movie scenes.

The treble is also very good, crisp and clear. Volume goes right up to silly levels and doesn't distort. I've got these hooked up to my TV (rather than the flimsy inbuilt ones) as they were so good. You can also get very immersive sound (to the extent in some movie scenes I've gone to see who's come into the room when a door opening sound plays), which is brilliant for only two speakers.

Brilliant kit. If you don't have somewhere to stick a soundbar, or can't afford a high level surround sound system I would say get this without hesitation.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not enough volume, not enough bass., 13 Mar. 2015
The speakers come nicely packaged in lots of sturdy plastic (so not too environmentally friendly) with the usual instructions in multiple languages, although the set-up is pretty straightforward. The only bit where you might need a glance at the instructions is connecting the power supply, the little adaptor has a built-in folding flat 2 pin plug that clicks(not entirely convincingly) onto a UK 3 pin adaptor or 2 pin round plug, giving you an adaptor plug with the lead sticking out the top (which in my case required a bit of rearranging of plugs to accommodate it).
Once plugged in to my Mac, I-Player on, turn the volume switch on & music comes out. Nice & straightforward.
I tried it on a small range of music genres (light pop, cello heavy classical, & rock) - the sound is clear, but a bit too "light" for me (my Roberts DAB/dock is found & boomy, the Bose speakers are light & delicate), but the big decider for me was the volume. Sitting at my computer with the speakers right in front of me, I turned the speakers all the way up...& I sat there listening to a fairly comfortable level of volume with the speakers less than 2 feet from me. Not deafening, not even a touch too loud. Very disappointing.
So I am returning the speakers. They're probably perfect if you want just a clearer sound than your computer provides, or to listen to fairly gentle music in an otherwise quiet environment, but it you like loud music, or like me, you want to play music through your computer while you do stuff elsewhere in a medium-sized room, then this is not for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Speakers, 24 Nov. 2014
These are very nice speakers. I spent a long time looking at alternatives after reading some of the negative reviews but I am pleased I stuck with Bose.

Pros:
They are small (well a lot smaller than I expected)
The sound is full and clear
They reach the full width of my desk (others have said that the lead connecting them is too short - my desk is 1600mm)
The sound is great when watching movies
You can't tell they are powered up when there is no sound being fed to them.

Cons:
The lead that connects to the PC output is poor. It is too short and crackles when you move it (I have another on the way)
These are not as loud as I expected them to be, although the quality is great and they don't distort.

As other reviews, the plug does come apart easily but only it you give it a prod. I have already said that they are not very loud but they are much louder than their size.

Why not 5 stars? I must admit I was expecting more from Bose and the PC lead is cheap. That said, they are still very good, quality sounding speakers.

The first set I ordered didn't arrive but the courier said they had delivered them. I got on to Amazon straight away and their customer service was first class. They sent out another set straight away which arrived two days after the original order was due. I just hope they chase the courier to retrieve the original order!

In summary these are a quality product for the price and the service from Amazon is top class as always.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jury is still out..., 29 Oct. 2014
PF Cope "Pamandlawrence" (Staffordshire, uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I already own a pair of companion 2 series 2 and so when looking for a pair of speakers for a TV, had no hesitation in ordering these series 3's. I purchased mine from an audio dealer via the internet for a handy tenner less than Amazons current price and received them next day.
In comparrison to the series 2, they seem less solid, and the change to a cloth grill does make them look less expensive and even less Bose like. I am also disappointed with the inclusion of Jack sockets as opposed to the RCA phono plugs of old. They are, however, considerably quieter when on with no signal...no more hum!
When attached to the audio out of a Sky + HD box, there is a considerable lip sync problem even when the delay is altered on the Sky box. If this was my only option I would have returned them but I simply changed to the TV's audio out and this worked perfectly.
It is early days in terms of sound quality as fresh out the box the bass does appear a little flabby but I expect this to firm up with use. Mids and highs are similar to the series 2's and they can be driven loud without distortion.
I will continue using these speakers over the next couple of weeks to see how things go and hopefully will be in a position to raise the star rating to match my review of the older model.
Update
As I hoped, bass has firmed somewhat but speech does sound a little deeper than I would think is natural, but they certainly serve the reason for my purchase. I don't think that they are necessarily any better than the Series 2 version in terms of sound quality (but are quieter electrically). All in all, I think a 4star rating is just enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bose does it again., 1 May 2014
I have been a mobile D.J. for the past 20 years and have used bose speakers for the last 15 of those years, the quality is exellent. I bought a computer 5 years ago and it came with speakers which recently broke.I decided to replace them with bose speakers and discovered the same unbeatable sound quality.If i had known how much better the sound quality was from a small pair of speakers was i would have replaced the origional speakers from day one.Thank you bose i love you....

5.0 out of 5 stars I had been stuck with the built in speakers on my monitor since my last two speaker system packed in (a Philips system) so it wa, 24 Dec. 2014
It was a toss up between the Bose and the Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II. I didn't want a 2.1 system so there had to be some bass from a two speaker set-up and reasonable volume. It wasn't going to replace my cinema set-up, just for playing music on my PC.
Bluntly, the 1 star reviews on the T40s put me off them as there were repeat complaints about the same problem on the units whilst the Bose reviews seemed to have a spread which could be just down to individual foibles. Also, they looked a bit smarter than the T40s.
I had been stuck with the built in speakers on my monitor since my last two speaker system packed in (a Philips system) so it was great to hear bass on the Bose even at low volumes and the reproduction was good in all frequencies at reasonably low volumes - which isn't always the case with small speakers like these and turning the volume up seemed to be more than adequate.

As others have commented, without a power light you can forget the speakers are on, especially since there is no background hiss when there is no sound. They aren't very big so nice and inconspicuous on the desk and I found no problem with the length of any of the cables.

I am pleased with my choice - just a bit.

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›