5.0 out of 5 stars Very good sound considering the size and cost!
I will admit I haven't really been BOSE's biggest fan.
Having said that my first Bose product was the first version of this speaker so perhaps it is fitting that I should find myself reviewing the Series III version.
First thing I'd like to say is this, I think Bose has learned a lot since the first iteration of this speaker, it is a definite improvement...
Published 14 months ago by C. Hamer

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing sound
Given the brand's reputation, I was hoping for much better audio from these speakers. They don't sound as good as my previous set, the Creative Gigaworks T40 - which I needed to replace because they'd developed a bad fault. In the end I finished up sending the Bose back and ordering another set of T40s.
Published 6 months ago by Jonathan Crane

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good sound considering the size and cost!, 22 Jun 2013
C. Hamer "chrisahamer" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Bose Companion 2 Series III Multimedia Speaker System (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I will admit I haven't really been BOSE's biggest fan.

I think if you are looking for loud base heavy speaker it may be worth giving these a miss, they won't give you what you want. But if you like listening to an encompassing genre of music and listen to the charts and mostly use laptop speakers or apple's own white headphones then these may just be perfect. I think students and people who only occasionally turn it up loud would really benefit from these!

Let's face it, for 80-90 you won't get the earth but I think if we are talking value for money these are probably the best products in Bose's repertoire.

The sound is very very clean considering the size of the speaker. They aren't the loudest speakers, but at a stretch the sound can fill a room with a moderate group of people in it.
What really impresses me though, is how these speakers really make music sound very engaging which at this price point many fail. They are very punchy - in a good way.
I decided to stray away from my usual set of sonic tests and try some different tunes on these. Mostly taken from the charts to represent what may be played on them.

I shall start with the new track 'If I had a tail' by the magnificent Queens of the Stone Age - I never said i'd make it easy on the speakers. The track balances delicate guitar and bass with an overture of complicated drum work. The vocals add another dimension to this already complicated track. The Bose Companion II Series III speakers coped admirably not loosing any specific part of the track but still keeping the vocals and guitar work at the fore!
Now let's move on to one of my favourite tracks of the moment, EDM Death Machine by Knife Party, sadly this is where the speakers loose a little. At 3/4 volume you probably are loosing 40-50% of the base and at full volume up to 70%. But the track is flipping complicated and even my 600 series B&W speakers struggle so I think all things considered the sound is good! It seems to be D&B and dubstep where these speakers loos a little shine, because when playing CHVRCHES 'Recover - cid rim remix' they actually create some pretty good base. So if you are the world's biggest DnB and dubstep fan - steer clear.
Lastly I investigated how these speakers cope with a classic. I chose Jeff Buckley's 'So Real' after it was features on BBC Radio 1 a few week back. The vocals are crisp and clean and the guitar work is very good. These speakers can do rock!

So all in all I think this is one of the best products to come from Bose in a while. If you are stepping up from laptop speakers or no speakers these are a really good starting place. Be it for Uni or the home I reckond these are pretty brilliiant. If you wan't something more mobile with a little more volume I'd say it may be worth paying extra for the Logitech UE Boombox which I think is the the best speakers- wireless or not for under 200!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent clarity and depth in such small speakers, 25 Jun 2013
Andromeda Descendent (Tarn Vedra) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My first impression of the BOSE Companion 2 speaker system was that it was so well packaged up that there's practically zero chance of damage in transit. Connecting it up was extremely simple - plug into the wall socket, plug left speaker into right speaker, plug into computer's headphone-out socket. Assuming you remembered to power the computer up, you're now ready to listen.

I could go the long route around this to make the review seem more considered, but honestly the sound on these speakers is just simply excellent - it's extremely sharp and clear on the high and vocal range and perfectly deep and balanced on the bass, with no vibration or loss of clarity (at least to my ears) at all. I have a varied music collection and it sounds as good listening to Daft Punk, Nero, Calvin Harris, Delerium or Sleepthief as it does Of Monsters And Men, Lana Del Rey, R.E.M., Radiohead and Evanescence. I could hear things in the music I hadn't heard before. The balance of sound between the speakers is perfect.

The right speaker has a volume knob on it and also - in an extremely useful touch - a headphones socket so that you don't need to unplug the speakers when you want to switch to using headphones.

Other than the speakers, the items in the box are the connecting cables, including the cable to the computer, power cable and a plug with both three and two-pin snap-on adaptors. In my box there were two sets of identical instructions, but I think that was probably a fluke!

The only downside here is that these speakers actually sound better than those that came with the new hi-fi I just bought!

One last note. There is also an auxiliary input on the speakers. That gave me the idea to plug in my Nintendo 3DS and play Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D through it. What an experience!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, powerful and portable..., 2 July 2013
R. Patel "Bush4ever" (Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At first impressions these multimedia speakers are pretty small. I've used the Gigaworks speakers and they are allot bigger than these. However, do not let the size fool you. The sonics on these are very good.

I would say they are better than the Gigaworks T40. As the treble and bass upper limits are better, it has a clarity that far surpasses them. I would have preferred dials to adjust treble and bass, but I can't complain.

The sonic details are very intricate, I played some Opera and some LSO and you could hear all the various instrument details really well. The mid-level bass has excellent presence and definetly fills a room up. I really like them, for the price to sound ratio these definetly hit a sweet spot.
Music of any sort is reproduced very well. I really cannot fault them. I also played a few games via my PC and these bad boys really immerse you. I usually wear headphones while PC gaming but these speakers actually reproduce the sound in game really well.

If you are a laptop gamer then you should have these speakers as part of your layout. They are small and pack a real punch.
The other nice thing is that it has a AUX connection so you can connect your Ipod or whatever other accessory you like.

I think Bose have a winner on there hands, these are that good. I've been through many desktop speakers and I can say hands down these are the best so far. Sadly, my lad now has them in his bedroom as he liked them so much.

Nice, discreet, sublime clarity and pack a punch, sums up this pair of awesome speakers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and perfect!, 22 Jun 2013
P. A. Smith (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These Bose speakers are too good for my laptop! After one listen to them I decided the plug them into my TV instead and that's where they will stay.
I already have a Bose docking station for my iPod so I was already fully aware of how fantastic that sounds but I have to say that I am even more impressed by these speakers. They offer a fantastic clear and crisp sound at all volumes but with a very rich bass sound too.
I was thinking about getting a surround sound system for my living room but have scrapped that idea now because of these speakers and saved myself a few hundred pounds too.
You have to hand it to Bose, they really do make fantastic speakers. I can't recommend them enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical Bose sound, surprisingly room filling, 5 April 2014
J. Wright - See all my reviews
Considering Bose make it quite difficult to find out their prices - presumably to avoid the How Much?! reaction - these low price discrete speakers produce a very "House of Bose" sound. These don't appear to be a cheap branding exercise where a no name company produce the boxes and Bose badge them. If you've listened to Bose equipment before you know what to expect, and to be fair it's not to everyone's taste. Deep cushion soft bass that wraps you up like a mug of steaming cocoa - and at any volume. I prefer my hifi sound to be a bit more realistic for serious listening - BUT - for use with a PC when you might be more likely to be listening at low volume, the full sound at low levels is very welcome. It's the type of sound that a salesman would love, it is instantly appealing and toe tapping and extremely composed, even as the volume creeps up.
Even more surprising is that when asked to go loud for a recent get together they did so without bother, producing a room filling sound which got people dancing. For 5 hours these were at their full output without any issues.
So, even if you don't appreciate the House of Bose sound normally, for the expected usage - low-ish volume PC/Laptop films and music - these units are extremely well suited to it. As an added bonus, when asked to fill a room these speakers do so with ease, even maintaining the silky sound quality. For the price, these speakers are a bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality, good depth of audio, 26 Jun 2013
girl - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wasn't entirely sure what to expect when I ordered these. I'm not sure I've ever used speakers outside of those which come with whatever device I'm using. They arrived well packaged and connecting them up was a cinch. I tried them first with my Kindle Fire HD because it was the device closest to hand and just to ensure they were working. The sound was fantastic! Perfect balance of treble and bass and with a real depth to the audio.

The plug came with three-pin (UK) and two-pin (Europe) adaptors that can be switched out depending on where you are, and there's a headphone socket in the right-hand speaker so there's no need to unplug the speakers when you want to use earphones. The design is clean and simple. Essentially, these speakers are perfect for anyone who wants some good quality speakers with minimal fuss. Entry level speakers, so to speak. Individuals looking for more customisation (adjustment of bass, etc.) options in their speakers are likely to want to look elsewhere, but these speakers are exactly as described.

4.0 out of 5 stars good buy, 12 Nov 2013
nice sound but would have liked some base adjustment.good speakers for the price. would recommend longer lead for mobility of pc

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect speaker System!, 8 Aug 2013
There is a surprisingly good sound! Bass is great! By view is simple, but in reality impressive! I love it!!! ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected!, 7 Aug 2013
Just installed these today and tried them with music I had played previously on other speakers which i thought not too bad. I was instantly surprised at the huge difference in quality with these speakers. They are superb for music and for films, especially with orchestral and classic music.

I have never heard better speakers on a PC than these by a long way. Anyone looking for better speakers than average, or to upgrade from old PC speakers, cannot go wrong with these.

They plug straight into your soundcard output, with a transformer for power into the mains.

I agree with all the other reviews here to date! I am really pleased I decided on these rather than the more popular ones recommended here on amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning sound, best price/quality ratio, 11 Jun 2014
I bought these speakers because I had experienced them at friend's house and I was really amazed how good they sound. At first I looked for a subwoofer in his room, but then I realized that it is only that two little speakers.
I heard about people saying that bose are overrated, they have too much bass which is unnatural and price is way too high, but I have to say it is really not true (or at least not for this product). I studied sound, codecs, reviews and I also worked with sound a bit. So I know which qualities has to have good sound.
All I can say is that bass frequencies for this speakers are really clear, definitely not exaggerated or somehow corrected to sound unnatural. U can feel bass but it does not harm mids and treble. everything is crystal clear without distortion and they are not mixed or affected. Speakers are also really amazingly dynamic, you can feel how they can kick and cope with any genre.
I am just amazed every time I do not listen to them for a longer time or I hear song which I like and I discover new instruments or sounds that I did not recognized when I heard it in radio.
If you really like sound which is rich, dynamic and crystal clear definitely buy them !