5.0 out of 5 stars Very good sound considering the size and cost!
I will admit I haven't really been BOSE's biggest fan.
Having said that my first Bose product was the first version of this speaker so perhaps it is fitting that I should find myself reviewing the Series III version.
First thing I'd like to say is this, I think Bose has learned a lot since the first iteration of this speaker, it is a definite improvement...
Published 22 months ago by Reviewser

2.0 out of 5 stars Not enough volume, not enough bass.
The speakers come nicely packaged in lots of sturdy plastic (so not too environmentally friendly) with the usual instructions in multiple languages, although the set-up is pretty straightforward. The only bit where you might need a glance at the instructions is connecting the power supply, the little adaptor has a built-in folding flat 2 pin plug that clicks(not entirely...
Published 1 month ago by Caramba

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good sound considering the size and cost!, 22 Jun. 2013
Reviewser - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bose ® Companion ® 2 Series III Multimedia Speaker System (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I will admit I haven't really been BOSE's biggest fan.

I think if you are looking for loud base heavy speaker it may be worth giving these a miss, they won't give you what you want. But if you like listening to an encompassing genre of music and listen to the charts and mostly use laptop speakers or apple's own white headphones then these may just be perfect. I think students and people who only occasionally turn it up loud would really benefit from these!

Let's face it, for £80-£90 you won't get the earth but I think if we are talking value for money these are probably the best products in Bose's repertoire.

The sound is very very clean considering the size of the speaker. They aren't the loudest speakers, but at a stretch the sound can fill a room with a moderate group of people in it.
What really impresses me though, is how these speakers really make music sound very engaging which at this price point many fail. They are very punchy - in a good way.
I decided to stray away from my usual set of sonic tests and try some different tunes on these. Mostly taken from the charts to represent what may be played on them.

I shall start with the new track 'If I had a tail' by the magnificent Queens of the Stone Age - I never said i'd make it easy on the speakers. The track balances delicate guitar and bass with an overture of complicated drum work. The vocals add another dimension to this already complicated track. The Bose Companion II Series III speakers coped admirably not loosing any specific part of the track but still keeping the vocals and guitar work at the fore!
Now let's move on to one of my favourite tracks of the moment, EDM Death Machine by Knife Party, sadly this is where the speakers loose a little. At 3/4 volume you probably are loosing 40-50% of the base and at full volume up to 70%. But the track is flipping complicated and even my 600 series B&W speakers struggle so I think all things considered the sound is good! It seems to be D&B and dubstep where these speakers loos a little shine, because when playing CHVRCHES 'Recover - cid rim remix' they actually create some pretty good base. So if you are the world's biggest DnB and dubstep fan - steer clear.
Lastly I investigated how these speakers cope with a classic. I chose Jeff Buckley's 'So Real' after it was features on BBC Radio 1 a few week back. The vocals are crisp and clean and the guitar work is very good. These speakers can do rock!

So all in all I think this is one of the best products to come from Bose in a while. If you are stepping up from laptop speakers or no speakers these are a really good starting place. Be it for Uni or the home I reckond these are pretty brilliiant. If you wan't something more mobile with a little more volume I'd say it may be worth paying extra for the Logitech UE Boombox which I think is the the best speakers- wireless or not for under £200!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent clarity and depth in such small speakers, 25 Jun. 2013
Andromeda Descendent (Tarn Vedra) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My first impression of the BOSE Companion 2 speaker system was that it was so well packaged up that there's practically zero chance of damage in transit. Connecting it up was extremely simple - plug into the wall socket, plug left speaker into right speaker, plug into computer's headphone-out socket. Assuming you remembered to power the computer up, you're now ready to listen.

I could go the long route around this to make the review seem more considered, but honestly the sound on these speakers is just simply excellent - it's extremely sharp and clear on the high and vocal range and perfectly deep and balanced on the bass, with no vibration or loss of clarity (at least to my ears) at all. I have a varied music collection and it sounds as good listening to Daft Punk, Nero, Calvin Harris, Delerium or Sleepthief as it does Of Monsters And Men, Lana Del Rey, R.E.M., Radiohead and Evanescence. I could hear things in the music I hadn't heard before. The balance of sound between the speakers is perfect.

The right speaker has a volume knob on it and also - in an extremely useful touch - a headphones socket so that you don't need to unplug the speakers when you want to switch to using headphones.

Other than the speakers, the items in the box are the connecting cables, including the cable to the computer, power cable and a plug with both three and two-pin snap-on adaptors. In my box there were two sets of identical instructions, but I think that was probably a fluke!

The only downside here is that these speakers actually sound better than those that came with the new hi-fi I just bought!

One last note. There is also an auxiliary input on the speakers. That gave me the idea to plug in my Nintendo 3DS and play Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D through it. What an experience!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, powerful and portable..., 2 July 2013
R. Patel "Bush4ever" (Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At first impressions these multimedia speakers are pretty small. I've used the Gigaworks speakers and they are allot bigger than these. However, do not let the size fool you. The sonics on these are very good.

I would say they are better than the Gigaworks T40. As the treble and bass upper limits are better, it has a clarity that far surpasses them. I would have preferred dials to adjust treble and bass, but I can't complain.

The sonic details are very intricate, I played some Opera and some LSO and you could hear all the various instrument details really well. The mid-level bass has excellent presence and definetly fills a room up. I really like them, for the price to sound ratio these definetly hit a sweet spot.
Music of any sort is reproduced very well. I really cannot fault them. I also played a few games via my PC and these bad boys really immerse you. I usually wear headphones while PC gaming but these speakers actually reproduce the sound in game really well.

If you are a laptop gamer then you should have these speakers as part of your layout. They are small and pack a real punch.
The other nice thing is that it has a AUX connection so you can connect your Ipod or whatever other accessory you like.

I think Bose have a winner on there hands, these are that good. I've been through many desktop speakers and I can say hands down these are the best so far. Sadly, my lad now has them in his bedroom as he liked them so much.

Nice, discreet, sublime clarity and pack a punch, sums up this pair of awesome speakers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing for Mac & Record Player!, 12 Feb. 2015
I never really bother with reviews but I felt I had to for these incredible speakers....

I always wanted some Bose speakers and because they were a reasonable price I thought why not?!... I hooked these up (with extreme ease) to my Mac and they blew me away instantly. I tested them out with 'Hey Now!' & 'Some Might Say' by Oasis and I heard things I have never heard before; backing harmonies, additional guitar parts etc. And not only that, they enhanced the sound so much it was such an experience. There's a very good level of bass which packs a punch but isn't too overpowering and the vocals are so clear in the mix.

I also use these speakers to play my records and they sound stunning. I purchased an additional Phono >>> AUX cable and connected my record player. What I love about this is I don't have to do any additional unplugging, so I can switch from digital to vinyl whenever I want.

I have also just plugged these into my Xbox to use whilst watching Netflix and the Breaking Bad theme tune is so 'BOOM!' They make the room feel like you have surround sound.

These speakers are always completely silent when nothing is being played through them (no buzz or hum). Although, having said that, it's hard to tell when they are on as there is no light to tell you they are on, which isn't a good nor bad thing.

Can't recommend these speakers enough. They're insanely good and such a great price.

If you want speakers that are:

-reasonably cheap
-small enough to be on your desk or shelf
-sound incredible with both MP3 and Vinyl
-offer a 'surround sound' type function
-easy to install
-look smart

Then I would definitely go for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical Bose sound, surprisingly room filling, 5 April 2014
J. Wright - See all my reviews
Considering Bose make it quite difficult to find out their prices - presumably to avoid the How Much?! reaction - these low price discrete speakers produce a very "House of Bose" sound. These don't appear to be a cheap branding exercise where a no name company produce the boxes and Bose badge them. If you've listened to Bose equipment before you know what to expect, and to be fair it's not to everyone's taste. Deep cushion soft bass that wraps you up like a mug of steaming cocoa - and at any volume. I prefer my hifi sound to be a bit more realistic for serious listening - BUT - for use with a PC when you might be more likely to be listening at low volume, the full sound at low levels is very welcome. It's the type of sound that a salesman would love, it is instantly appealing and toe tapping and extremely composed, even as the volume creeps up.
Even more surprising is that when asked to go loud for a recent get together they did so without bother, producing a room filling sound which got people dancing. For 5 hours these were at their full output without any issues.
So, even if you don't appreciate the House of Bose sound normally, for the expected usage - low-ish volume PC/Laptop films and music - these units are extremely well suited to it. As an added bonus, when asked to fill a room these speakers do so with ease, even maintaining the silky sound quality. For the price, these speakers are a bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant way of superseding inadequate television sound, 16 Dec. 2013
My kitchen television, a Samsung 32inch Smart model, incorporates truly dreadful sound so I started off with some old JBL Creatures II that offered a vast improvement, before moving onto these Bose speakers which have proved to be vastly superior. Tempted by the B+W computer speakers, but deterred by their price and the quantity of soft cloth covering, I opted for spending a fraction of the cost and chose the Bose instead. I haven't been disappointed, simply connecting them to the headphone socket on the back of the television, an arrangement which still functions using the remote control provided by Samsung. The speakers offer great clarity for voice and good depth for music without having to resort to a subwoofer to get sufficient bass. They are quite chunky for speakers of this type, being deeper than I expected, but their solid build complements the quality of sound that comes out of them. No, these won't ever match up to a good pair of bi-wired speakers running off a decent amp, but for their size and the way in which they transform the rubbish sound quality from a flat-screen television, they are excellent value for money. The speakers were well packed for mail-order transit but the packaging was a total nightmare to get into; if there is a way to access the contents without resorting to a pair of tin-snips and a lot of brute force, I failed to find it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning sound, best price/quality ratio, 11 Jun. 2014
I bought these speakers because I had experienced them at friend's house and I was really amazed how good they sound. At first I looked for a subwoofer in his room, but then I realized that it is only that two little speakers.
I heard about people saying that bose are overrated, they have too much bass which is unnatural and price is way too high, but I have to say it is really not true (or at least not for this product). I studied sound, codecs, reviews and I also worked with sound a bit. So I know which qualities has to have good sound.
All I can say is that bass frequencies for this speakers are really clear, definitely not exaggerated or somehow corrected to sound unnatural. U can feel bass but it does not harm mids and treble. everything is crystal clear without distortion and they are not mixed or affected. Speakers are also really amazingly dynamic, you can feel how they can kick and cope with any genre.
I am just amazed every time I do not listen to them for a longer time or I hear song which I like and I discover new instruments or sounds that I did not recognized when I heard it in radio.
If you really like sound which is rich, dynamic and crystal clear definitely buy them !

4.0 out of 5 stars good buy, 12 Nov. 2013
nice sound but would have liked some base adjustment.good speakers for the price. would recommend longer lead for mobility of pc

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected!, 7 Aug. 2013
Just installed these today and tried them with music I had played previously on other speakers which i thought not too bad. I was instantly surprised at the huge difference in quality with these speakers. They are superb for music and for films, especially with orchestral and classic music.

I have never heard better speakers on a PC than these by a long way. Anyone looking for better speakers than average, or to upgrade from old PC speakers, cannot go wrong with these.

They plug straight into your soundcard output, with a transformer for power into the mains.

I agree with all the other reviews here to date! I am really pleased I decided on these rather than the more popular ones recommended here on amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't listen to them! ... Yet..., 21 Sept. 2014
M. BERNARD (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
What can I add to the already many good reviews about these great compact desktop speaks?

Well a little tip, don't listen to them! ... Yet...

No, I am not writing a scathing review but just pointing out like many speakers and headphones you need to allow some running in time before making a judgement about the sound quality.

I bought a pair for my son to use mainly for gaming, as he was tired of wearing headphones for extended periods. Straight away he was very pleased with them. I did not tell him about how they would get better after being used for a while, as a sort of blind test. After a few days of quite extended use he commented on how they now sounded a lot better and were a match for his expensive Astro A50 gaming headset.

So don't critically judge these, or any other speaker, until they have been thoroughly 'run in' otherwise you may not be hearing them at their best.

For their size, weight and low power consumption, due to the compact switch mode power supply, they are hard to beat for the price. I did listen to these in a Bose shop before buying and have to say they sounded better than the more expensive models on display. Audiophiles would of course not be satisfied with these but then again they would not look at anything unless there were at least three noughts at the end!

UPDATE: My son has been using these now for 3 months and we both still get a buzz out of the great sound quality these little speakers can produce. I really don't think you can go wrong in adding these to your desktop setup.