5.0 out of 5 stars utter bargain
About this review, note that I work in the consumer-electronics industry. I take part in the development of products similar to the WD Play. These products do not compete with the WD Play, so please consider my review to be unbiased and based on a modicum of knowledge for such products.

To summarise: I think it is an excellent product and beats others I have...
Published 12 months ago by keribillen

3.0 out of 5 stars ok bit annoying
i bought this to watch mp4s and avis on an old tv, which it does quite well. It has played all file types ive sent at it.

The picture when playing some files is blurry. connecting and disconnecting usb devices is a bit of a chew. takes ages to detect them. for some reason it makes the screen go smaller when it has been turned on for awhile. sometimes device has...
Published 10 months ago by greg

‹ Previous | 1 2 322 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to use, 12 Jan 2014
Excellent customized start menu! V
Four stars because of not reading all video files, like MPEG and vts, and doesn't share the USB hdd.

2.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely awful, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: WD TV Play Media Player (Accessory)
Having used many computers and consoles in the past for media I chose to buy this so I wouldn't have to pay monthly for Xbox Live just for Netflix. After using this, I'd rather pay for XBL. Not only does this device crash often, it's not responsive at all. Whilst using the YouTube app, there's a ten second delay between me pressing a button and the device responding. Then another 20 second delay as I wait for the menu selection to actually move in the direction I pressed.

It also takes the device a full 20 minutes to recognise a 1TB drive. It takes my 1GHz 512mb RAM Android tablet 20 seconds and it wasn't even designed to be used with external hard drives.

Save yourself the trouble and get a more powerful device, or a smart blu-ray player.

Having gone over it's awful problems, it does however play movies well. Via Netflix and storage when it finally loads up.Subtitles are customizable too which is a nice feature.

3.0 out of 5 stars Feels dated., 24 July 2014
A. Jain (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WD TV Play Media Player (Accessory)
Works as expected, OK for the price as I got off a deal on amazon.

I mostly use it for connecting to NAS drive and watch movies off local network. Mostly plays all of them well but there is a known issue of the device lacking Dolby playback so deal breaker for some. On just 1 occasion it did not show the NAS drive for no apparent reason but it worked OK since.

Have not used the remote, I use Logitech universal remote which works OK.

Good:
Plays most media files from my NAS drive over LAN
Smooth playback mostly
Has an app for typing

Bad:
The app for Android is quite bad but OK for typing while searching YouTube etc
Lacks app upgrade, no market and pretty much non up-gradable software which in this day and age seems dated
Is pretty slow
Would have liked the UK model to have catch up TV apps

4.0 out of 5 stars BBC iplayer stopped working...., 23 Feb 2014
This review is from: WD TV Play Media Player (Accessory)
I have had the product since mid Dec 13 and think it is great, however a couple of days ago BBC iplayer stopped working.
My device is saying it isn't compatible....waiting on a reply from WD support, but not happy as BBC iplayer is the main reason for my purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too bad!, 22 July 2014
Martin Walsh (Somerset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WD TV Play Media Player (Accessory)
Lacking in App's, Lovefilm, Nowtv missing. Remote seems a bit slow , sometimes having to press buttons twice.
Had difficulty with initial installation. Item arrived with batteries fitted into the remote and the main unit had its packing open with a label torn. Presumably had been returned at some stage. Unit would not install at first, would hang on loading, managed to get that sorted then it would not accept WIFI settings. Eventually had to do a factory reset which sorted everything out and allowed normal installation which was completed in about 3 mins.
Disappointed I was sent a "Second Hand" unit but overall the functionality is pretty good bar the lack of the media apps.

3.0 out of 5 stars okay - could be alot better, 1 Sep 2014
This review is from: WD TV Play Media Player (Accessory)
This is okay, i didn't pay that much for it or i would be leaving a scathing review. I originally bought this to connect to my TV so i could watch netflix as i don't have a smart TV nor plan to i buy one anytime soon). it works fine, although its very sluggish, booting up and then loading the netflix app is slow, the controls are sluggish * sometimes unresponsive (i find the mobile app WiFi controller to be a bit more responsive). the netflix app on my phone, tablet and PlayStation are all superior by quite a margin. but for the price its hard to expect more than what this box delivers.

3.0 out of 5 stars I purchased this product from Amazon UK in Dec 2013 ..., 31 Oct 2014
Meadows (Somerset. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WD TV Play Media Player (Accessory)
I purchased this product from Amazon UK in Dec 2013, we seldom use iPlayer but as this was a feature when purchased we expect to be able to use this as part of the package paid for.

Searching the internet we find that may people have had the same issue with this product and it seems it no longer supports iPlayer, this being the case the product does not fulfil the specs when purchased and this product is less than a year old.

Also try going back or forward when watching a file and the thing either takes ages to catch up or locks up altogether.

1.0 out of 5 stars s***, 31 Aug 2014
This review is from: WD TV Play Media Player (Accessory)
This product is rubbish the one I own now is my third one the first would start up OK but when you wanted too set it up you couldn't so I returned the box at my own expense to WD after 6 weeks a second box was sent you would think this would be a new one NO this one was older than the one sent back this didn't get past the WD Logo, sent back this one WD payed the shipping costs, I am now on my third one again it is a refurbished one, and this decides to put it's own DNS number in so I have given up on the crap so you can guess where it's going.

5.0 out of 5 stars WD Media Pleyer, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: WD TV Play Media Player (Accessory)
Bought this one for my mum so that she can take it abroad with her to watch her films and tv shows that she misses. I have one that I bought a few years ago and it's still working perfectly and the new one is a third of the price and has all catch up tv loaded on it, bonus

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 7 Jan 2014
This review is from: WD TV Play Media Player (Accessory)
Took delivery of this yesterday and had it running in about 5 mins, haven't even had to look at the instruction manual. This little box appears to do everything it says and does it very well. Quick summary so far

- Connected to wifi and tested iplayer, works perfectly
- Signed up for netflix trial, very impressed, nice streaming, can see myself sticking with it
- Plugged in flash drive and it played all the files i had in various formats
- Shared out media on my windows pc via media player, connected to that effortlessly and played music and video
- Remote is responsive and very easy to use
- My tv overscans and cannot be adjusted and this device even allows you to downscale in 5% increments to counter this - brilliant!

All in all, brilliant. The only minor negative is that the volume is a little low, but i've seen (heard) that with other hdmi inputs too, i just added some volume correction and all good.

For just over £30 this is absolutely great.

‹ Previous | 1 2 322 | Next ›