5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating information
Published 24 months ago by Helenebaskit

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm. I'm on the fence on this one.
Published 15 months ago by DoYouHaveItInGreen

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating information, 15 May 2013
Helenebaskit (Amsterdam, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
I've read both Clean and Clean Gut and the content is very different. Dr. Junger goes into far more detail about our digestive system, gut dysfunction, autoimmune diseases, infertility and depression in Clean Gut. I was surprised to learn that there are more foods allowed on the Clean Gut version that were not a part of Clean; a few nightshades, (such as tomatoes), lentils, grass fed meat and eggs. Last year I had tried Clean and loved it but eventually fell back into my old ways. Especially with my coffee/tea, dairy and the occasional wheat product. When Clean Gut came out it inspired me to try again. All I can tell you is how fantastic I feel after doing this program. I gave up caffeine, sugar, dairy and grains completely. Once I got past the first week it was like I was a whole new person. Now my skin is clear(eczema gone), my eyes are brighter and I have new energy. Plus I lost ten pounds. Despite the fact that he gives great detail on how to reintroduce the toxic triggers I feel a bit worried about consuming the foods that make me feel terrible. I know for a fact that wheat is the absolute worst offender (I get extremely ill and won't go into gory detail) and sugar makes me cranky, so I plan on going with this plan for as long as possible. There are terrific recipes provided, if a craving strikes the cocoa smoothies satisfy completely.

If you're someone who can't give up rubbish foods this isn't for you, but if you're interested in renewed energy and feeling your best I highly recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm. I'm on the fence on this one., 21 Jan. 2014
DoYouHaveItInGreen (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I guess it depends on where you are coming from and the level of understanding you already have about gut function and its role in health as to how useful you will find this book. If you are at the start of your gut healing journey, this has some good and clear explanations of where gut health fits in functional medicine and nutrition. I must be honest, I felt he waffled on too much about his own experience, driving things home a little too hard for my liking. I thought one example of each point would have been sufficient. I guess the problem is that some of what he was saying was relying on his on anecdotal evidence rather than scientific research so there is a need to offer plenty of background instead. Where there is not enough explanation is actually in the diet itself. He doesn't spend enough time explaining why some foods are in and some are out, the effects of sugars, what changes to expect physically and emotionally and how to tackle those with tweaks to the program etc all needed a bit more detail, in my opinion.
My view is that a more rounded introduction to this subject comes from Dr Susan Blum in her book The Immune System Recovery Plan. Both books are actually pretty complementary and if you don't feel the need to do anything really full-on like GAPS or body Ecology, Clean Gut will be a great way of setting you on a path to better health.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Holy Grail of wellness books in my humble opinion, 28 April 2015
R Bates - See all my reviews
I cannot rate this book highly enough. I bought it along with Mark Hyman's book on Ultra Prevention and I found this a much more palatable read, even though they are both rooted in similar concepts (functional medicine). Dr Junger breaks things down in a simple but elegant way. My hope is that this becomes mandatory reading for all GPs and gastro-enterologists. It's companion Clean Eats is a delightful recipe book that helps make following this type of lifestyle very manageable and creative.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that different from Clean, 3 May 2013
The premise is great - our health and well being take daily nourishment from our gut ecosystem. When it flounders due to poor diet and toxins in our environment our whole health suffers in time, often inexplicably.

The literary style is adequate for the subject matter, although a lot of the seven introductory chapters seem to ramble on too much with personal woes and the trials and tribulations of the author's life. As an aside, I could find no mention of an editor in the credits. I kept finding myself wondering when the author would stop talking about his life story and start talking clearly about the subject matter - achieving a clean gut. After three chapters, I got so bored I jumped to the programme itself which is a set of shake recipes and meal plans.

I did go back and read the skipped chapters, however although it was useful background information it felt as if the author had missed a trick to motivate the reader with this information.

It's a shame there is little empirical evidence in the book for such an important proposal - to change your diet so dramatically beyond the letters from those who've completed the programme and a handful of case studies.

As with a lot of books with a solid premise and little substantive preface, the seven chapters before the programme is introduced would have been better trimmed to two or three, with more emphasis on how to implement the programme, a basic shopping list and an idea of how much this programme costs to put into practice. Reading about the programme I couldn't help but wonder how a busy doctor, like the author himself in the earlier part of his life, would have managed to shop for these ingredients and put the programme into practise.

Living in a market town in England, lots of the things needed for the diet require shopping on-line or a trip to a bigger city / specialist health food store. An economy version of the diet for those without specialist food suppliers would be helpful. My grandma wouldn't have been able to follow the diet, however I reckon 80% of her diet followed the principles.

No doubt, the author is onto something with the premise of the book, however for the diet to find widespread appeal it needs to be eminently simple. If I can make a suggestion: please write the book so a person living in India on a basic wage can follow the diet, and focus on principles rather than prescriptive recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must have for anyone with digestive problems or chronic inflammation., 24 Aug. 2014
My son has an auto immune disease and as a nurse and nutritionist I have tried various natural ways to improve his health but this approach is a total breakthrough. It isn't until you can heal the gut, remove the triggers of inflammation and find the optimal nutrition to help you maintain gut health that you can make continuous progress. Thanks for a brilliant book and The Clean Eats book to make the transition easier.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little OTT for me, 7 Feb. 2014
You really have to believe that your Gut is the root cause of disease to get into this book.
While I enjoyed the interesting take on health and the elimination phase, it is quite a strict plan.
I followed it for 2 weeks and felt very well afterwards so in that sense I would recommend reading it - but do not expect an easy ride!

3.0 out of 5 stars book review, 11 Sept. 2014
CLARE (LEAMINGTON SPA, WARWICKSHIRE) - See all my reviews
This is a well written boook. The author seems to know what he is talking about. I will follow some of the principles that he explains, however some of it is very hard core and I would find it a prohibitive diet to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, very insightful and useful too, 18 Mar. 2015
If you want to learn how to look after your gut, then this is a must read. I loved it, very insightful and useful too. Even my Grandmother has borrowed it as she has problems with her gut and wants to try out some of the recipes provided.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best health program I have ever come across!, 10 Dec. 2013
Having read Dr Junger's 'Clean' book a few years back, I have found this book immensely helpful at giving me a better understanding of the important role the gut plays in our overall health. Dr Junger makes science understandable and clearly explains how most present day illnesses originate and develop, how our diet and environment affects our health and how a few simple changes in our daily diet can make such a monumental difference in achieving long lasting health. I can not recommend this book enough!

3.0 out of 5 stars healthier lifestyle, 29 Dec. 2013
The book identifies changes to areas of my diet that make sence. There is a lot of reading which I glossed over, but the key information is clear from the text and the recipies. I generally eat organic food when available and avoid processed package food. Since reading the book I have made a number of fundermental changes to my diet as suggested and only time will tell.