5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed
These are very comfortable earphones that fit right into your ear. They take a little getting used to especially if you have small ears. The comfort tips provided are great - and offer great noise cancellation even without the noise cancellation on!

Published 18 months ago by sorabh sharma

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent noise cancelling and sound quality. Poor life.
The active noise cancellation is good. I use these earphones daily on my commute on train/tube. However, by 2nd July (bought 30th March) the left ear piece is no longer getting any sound.

For £45 I expected them to last a lot longer.
Published 9 months ago by O Witney

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed, 29 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Audio-Technica ATH-ANC33IS Active noise cancelling in-ear headphones with Remote and Mic (Electronics)

the noise cancellation is great - while not as good as bose - its still very good and does drown out a considerable amount of train and traffic noise. effectively this means you do not have to turn up your volume so high and these inevitably helps your ears. works great with iphone.

the only problem is the noise cancellation can cause radio interference if you are using your phone (or someone near you is using theirs) in an area with no 3g. I.e on the GSM or E network. I work and live in london so this is a rare occurrence for me and the earphones work great. For the price - 50 pounds vs 260 for alternates is great

Much better than iphone headphones and the sound quality is great. Very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones with effective noise cancelling., 2 Oct. 2013
P. Wilkinson "cleanersvenus" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
First off I have to say I'm not the biggest fan of in ear headphones. It took a bit of getting used to for me. You get one pair of memory foam style buds and I like those but you get a lot more rubber ones and I didn't like those at all.
I treated myself to these as I read some great reviews of their predecessor and I own a pair of audio technica cans and they are great. I don't commute much anymore and I hardly ever fly but I do live backing onto the A20 dual carriageway and at times it can be noisy when sitting out in the garden.
I do about 80 percent of my listening to music and radio via headphones so it is worth it for me to get decent ones. I believe these fit the bill well. I won't be that likely to use them indoors at home and I probably won't use them on a daily basis on my lunchtime walks but I believe they'll be a useful member of my headphone collection.

PROS: Great sound, not too bulky in the ears. Noise cancelling is really effective, sort of like closing the windows on double glazing and hearing that sudden silence from the drone of everyday life. You'll still hear external sounds but not drones. For example you'll hear the sound of the tyres of the bus on the road as it drives past you but you'll not really notice the hum of its engine. You'll still hear that idiot motorcyclist who roars past your house every night at 8.30pm. You'll hear your wife offering you a cup of tea but you probably won't hear her approach.

CONS.: The box which holds the single AAA battery and has the on and off switch and volume control on it means these aren't really the kind of headphones you just roll up and put in your pocket. The whole make up of the box and leads is very lightweight and plasticy and you feel you have to be careful not to break it. It's probably more robust than it seems and it keeps the weight down but for fifty quid you do feel perhaps it could be a bit more robust.

Overall I'm well happy with these. I commuted to London for over twenty years and would have loved these back then. Mind you I would have loved an Ipod too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable at price point., 7 Nov. 2013
Like everyone else looking for active sound cancellation, I was looking at the Bose Quietcomfort 15 but balk at the asking price. So I got these ANC33i which are an improvement over the popular Anc23. I can't be happier with my choice especially when I manage to test the Bose which was not quite comfortable. The Bose noise cancellation was superior but had this "pressure" sensation which you could feel when the music was off and active cancellation was on.

The ANC33i are musical and maybe I would rate them a 7.5 plus. The active noise cancellation don't give off any noticeable hiss and give a slight boost to sound quality/volumes when switched on . Give the silicon earbuds provided a miss and try on the foam ones, but for even better isolation and sound quality get the Comply T400 earbuds, which will double the bass and cut down external sounds by half once properly inserted.

To be realistic, you wont be able to cut down all the sound of crying children and live in a world of complete silence with these headphones. What you will get is a substantial reduction in continuous sounds like fan, air-condition , tyres sounds from vehicles and the like( haven't not tried on plane yet), to enjoy your music. I like the way you are able to pin the electronic on your shirt and the ability to change volumes so that you don't need to take off your earbuds to talk but I wished Audio-Technica could improve on the thin wires by using thicker silicon (flat?) wires to improve microphonics and maybe find a way to wind-up the excess.

In summary

Pros: Price
Decent noise cancellation
Musical even without active sound cancellation.
Volume control and microphone.
Did I mention the price?

Cons: Wires are thin and tangle easy.
Comply T400 buds should be provided

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent noise cancelling and sound quality. Poor life., 2 July 2014
O Witney - See all my reviews

For £45 I expected them to last a lot longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great in-ears with noise cancelling, 17 Oct. 2013
The noise cancelling works very well. Other sound is also well shielded, but not completely. For people who are not used to wearing in-ear headphones, it will take a while to get used to.
The box containing the battery is a bit big, and feels like it can be broken easily, so be careful with it. The box has a clip-on, so you can attach it to your jacket, and it has a volume switch, useful. If you wriggle with the cable right next to your ears, it will make rather annoying sound, so they are probably not the best for walking. I would certainly not use these for running.
I use these at work all the time. The heating/AC system makes a constant noise, which I don't hear anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought these for using on a plane, 22 Oct. 2013
I wanted some headphones for using on a long flight to America, they worked brilliantly cutting out most of the extraneous engine and cabin noise when switched on, so much so that I ended up using them as earplugs when I wanted some sleep.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, noise cancelling good, sound balanced and competitive price., 3 Jan. 2015
M. A. Coyle "Mark Coyle" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
For the price these are truly excellent though with any earphone the fit in-ear is vital. I paired them with Comply TX400 foam tips in large size purchased separately and on a long flight to and from Malaysia these were comfortable, balanced in sound and very good in noise isolation. These remove about 80-90% of the noise and all the background low rumble enabling the listening experience to focus on the music with a reasonably detailed, natural, balanced sound without cranking up the volume. The battery in the noise cancelling unit is still going after forty hours. At a fraction of the price to Bose, AKG and others these compare well and as in-ear alternatives to over ears I found they reminded comfortable when over-ears would make my ears hot and pressured.

For any bad reports, I can only envisage others are having issues with in ear fit. These are good quality and well priced, it is worth getting some better tips to give the required fit.

For the money I do not expect anything more so it is worth working on the fit to ensure you too enjoy a similar experience. If you cannot tell if the noise cancelling is on or off then there is seriously something wrong with either the unit, the battery or the in-ear fit as it makes a massive difference and actually sounds better with the noise cancelling on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and quiet - easy on the ear and wallet, 17 Nov. 2014
For the price, I really can recommend these earphones, especially if, like me, you've probably spent double the amount on pairs over the years trying to find one which fits the bill.

The fit is comfortable and they stay firmly in your ear. A little bit of cable noise but nothing outside of the ordinary.

Is the noise-cancelling up to 90%? Well in the right environment, perhaps. Importantly though, it does give you enough in a noisy urban environment so you don't have to whack the music volume up extra loud to hear anything. Walking around town, most of the acute noises (I have mid-range hyperacusis) were cancelled out or reduced to unobtrusive levels.

It was quite telling on the bus on my journey home from work - usually the volume on my S4 would be around 8 or 9. With the NC active it was comfortably on 4 or 5, the same I'd be using in a quiet room. That says everything to me.

So if you're looking for a budget pair of NC ear-phones and want to protect your hearing, this is probably the best choice. They won't give you a 'Bose bubble', but certainly the next best thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best thing for long flights, 26 Oct. 2013
This is the 2nd time I purchased these headphones, after my cousin lost the first set in Thailand. The sound quality is very good - Even for everyday music listening I find myself using these most of the times, even though I do have several more expensive non-NC headphones. At size/quality/convenience these work best for me most of the time.

But I write this review to point out something that many reviewers have missed. The jet plane noise.

On a plane, there is this constant very low noise, that one gets used to, and after a while is not aware of. One can also block it out at least partially by listening music very loud on normal headphones. However, if you try to listen to an audiobook, or catch up with your NPR shows, that's where the low frequency noise becomes noticeable. That makes it nearly impossible to to hear your recording unless you are REALLY blasting it on uncomfortable level. The regular noise-isolating headphones are even worse on a plane, since they close your ear, and the low-frequency noise is amplified in your closed-up ear!

The ATM33 almost completely removes this low-frequency noise. You will be able to clearly hear your talk-radio podcasts in normal listening volume. If there is higher-frequency noise, like screaming babies or loud teenagers crowding around you, those sounds are only dampened about as much as with normal isolating headphones, but it is the low jet engine noise that is all but gone. Same goes for other constant low freq noise, such as loud air purifiers etc... Those sounds just disappear.

On 10-hour flights, I usually find myself giving my ears a rest even when I am not listening to music, by just by wearing the ATM33s without audio, and only the noise cancellation on. That is when you really become aware of how noisy the inside of a jet plane is, even though you have gotten used to the noise and not aware of it -- One would never think that simple silence can be so enjoyable to listen to! The ATM33 headphones make flying so much more pleasant, that I would not imagine boarding a 2+ hr flight without them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 Dec. 2013
Mutes almost completely the hustle and bustle of airplane. Highly recommended for frequent travelers. Great battery life too and the sound delivered is crisp.