5.0 out of 5 stars The Last Days of Richard 111
Published 15 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars An ideal introduction for the layman
Mathew Lewis has written the perfect primer for anyone seeking an introduction to the complexities of the Wars of the Roses. Clear, concise, and packed with information, Lewis tells his story in a seamless narrative. Highly recommended.
Published 1 month ago by Robert Gordon Grange

5.0 out of 5 stars The Last Days of Richard 111, 17 Sep 2013
This review is from: A Glimpse of King Richard III (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book on more than one level.Firstly it was refreshing in its approach to one of history's most enigmatic figures. I found it unbiased and thus paving the way for future research. There are many questions still to answer on the life of Richard 111 and Martin Lewis portrays a real restlessness in his quest to answer them. I liked the intimate details of the last days of Richard's life and was disturbed at the brevity the Battle of Bosworth and his fate. Lastly, when the news hit the headlines in January of this year 2013, I looked upon it as a wonderful discovery, mere chance. But it was not so. Martin Lewis had already spent years painstakingly reviewing all the resources and reaching the conclusions that would lead to the finding of Richard's body.
Some of the scientific research went over my head yet I could only admire the depth of work undertaken.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good - a telling of the known-facts in an enjoyable, easily digestible and gripping way, 7 Nov 2013
Mr. Michael R. Phillips "Mike Phillips" (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Glimpse of King Richard III (Kindle Edition)
An interesting view of what might have happened. I learned SO much from this book - my Shakepearean-opinion of him has changed dramatically, as I now see he may well have been the subject of Tudor propaganda. After all, history is written by the victors.
I am taking the FutureLearn course on this subject [which starts later this month], so this book was extremely valuable to me.
I have also read 'Loyalty - The True Story of King Richard III ' by the same author. It is another book I loved, and found useful.
Thank you Matthew Lewis.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good read, 20 Aug 2013
This review is from: A Glimpse of King Richard III (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed reading this book very much. It has opened my eyes to a period of history which knew nothing about, I look forward with great interest to further developments .

Maurice

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 3 Sep 2013
Mrs. J. Davies (manchester england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Glimpse of King Richard III (Kindle Edition)
This is great book which gives a concise description of King Richards life, having read this authors other book about Richard, and also have the War of the Roses book I can tell it has been written with a passion for the subject. This book will hopefully be read by my grandchildren as I feel it is not too long,and will ignite their interest in history that my Father gave too me. They have all read the Horrible Histories series whilst very young, so the interest is there. History in school can be boring, (depending on the teacher) these books are as good as any fiction on the market, but provide a good knowledge of our history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book, 26 Jan 2014
Explains all the basic facts you need to know to get to grips with the main issues - and seem fairly objective despite the author declaring upfront he is a Ricardian.

5.0 out of 5 stars A short Biography and precise, 31 Dec 2013
This review is from: A Glimpse of King Richard III (Kindle Edition)
It's a short book and would not take long to complete it. But if one wants a more detailed biography, then this book is not the one. The title says a glimpse and that is all it is.

It's enjoyable to read. Perhaps one could read it then move on to a detailed biograpyy. There is also 'A Glimpse of the Wars of the Roses'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book about Richard III, 27 Aug 2013
This is a great short into to Richard III. It's really well written, easy to read, but accurate and thoughtful. If you want something to the point without padding and needless info I recommend this. I did know a lot about R3 before I read this but this still contained a fair amount of info I didn't know. Overall I recommend it. Well done Matthew Lewis, hope to see a paperback version on sale at various R3 places i.e Bosworth Visitors Centre, Richard III museum, Leicester Cathedral etc....

4.0 out of 5 stars Short but sweet., 23 Dec 2013
This review is from: A Glimpse of King Richard III (Kindle Edition)
A good read - as I said it's quite a short " book ", but that doesn't detract from the quality of it.
I'll be looking forward to seeing the rest of this author's work.

4.0 out of 5 stars It does what it says in the tin!, 23 Dec 2013
This is a very good introduction to the conundrum that is Richard III for a reader new to the subject. As you may guess from the title, don't expect a "learned" treatise, but Matthew Lewis has a great depth of knowledge behind him which has enabled him to produce a succinct summary of both sides of the debate about Richard.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brief, but to the point, 21 Nov 2013
Mrs. G. Beswick (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased this to add to my collection of books about Richard III. It was somewhat shorter than I hoped, but is an excellent introduction to the much maligned king.

A Glimpse of King Richard III