4.0 out of 5 stars Better than average vampire tale, 29 Jun. 2014
BlackBrigand (Norfolk UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The Crypt of Dracula - Kane Gilmour Kindle Edition

This novel delivers exactly what the author promises in his marathon prologue; a story in the tradition of the Hammer Films, Dracula series from the 1970s. The storyline could almost be a screen play for a film of the Jimmy Sangster era and as such is a good read with all the traditional features of a good vampire horror movie. Dracula is suitably evil and rapacious, his brides are sexy and blood hungry and it even has van Helsing disguised as a village priest.

I enjoyed the story and hope that there will be more in the same vein, (pun intended). My only critism is that whilst the majority of the story is well written and in style with the storyline, at times some of the dialogue and descriptive text slips into the 21st century vernacular and modern US phraseology creeps in. There are a few homophonic errors which are a bit distracting.

Otherwise, a great story well told... look forward to more of the same.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hammer House writes a book!, 26 July 2013
This review is from: The Crypt of Dracula (Kindle Edition)
This book represent what would happen if a Hammer House movie was turned into a book. I thoroughly enjoyed this story, it's what a true Dracula tale should be but "old school" style. It has all the ingredients of a gothic horror, the castle, the ghoulish man servant, the sexy vampire women and of course the brave priest. Not to mention the little village near by with the only inn with rooms to let with a large cross on the full of silent locals drinking and a land lord that suggests you should leave.
Some may dismiss this sort of book as a little cheesy, but weren't the Hammer House films. It is what it is and I liked it a lot and of course the ending has a little twist.
I think you wouldn't pick this book up if it wasn't your cup of tea, so if Dracula is one of your favourite monsters give it a go, it's great

5.0 out of 5 stars Vampires - Hammer Style, 12 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Crypt of Dracula (Kindle Edition)
This is a great book -one that I really enjoyed reading.The story is quite simple in the classic style of a Hammer horror movie.All the elements of the traditional vampire tale are present.Terrified villages,nasty but faithful guardian of Dracula,sexy and very frightening vampire women,etc,.The tension is maintained right through the narrative as the hero tries desperately to save his friends from the clutches of the vampires.Dracula is portrayed as an urbane host until his true nature is shown(he still remains clever yet sadistic).This book is well worth the price and I will be watching out for more vampire books like this from Kane Gilmour

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to Basics, 20 May 2013
M. Marchant (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Crypt of Dracula (Kindle Edition)
A refreshing change to read Dracula how he's supposed to be, now I'm partial to the odd twinkling vampire but to read Dracula as the beast he truly is made me realise how far off the vampire genre we have strayed.

A great, fast read that made my heart pound on more than one occasion and to be honest I'm a little scared after reading this as I have a visit to castle planned this weekend!

You'll love this book but keep your garlic, stakes and holy water close at hand!

5.0 out of 5 stars I was not disappointed. It started gently and then pulled me in ..., 20 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Crypt of Dracula (Kindle Edition)
I agree with the previous reviews. I'm a massive fan of Hammer House of Horror and I bought the book because of this. I was not disappointed. It started gently and then pulled me in and I couldn't put the book down as I had to know how it ended. For me, if I can't put a book down, then it's a great sign! If you like classic vampire tales, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Drac is still cool.!, 27 Jun. 2014
NITSUD! "Dustin Dreyling" (White Bear Lake, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Crypt of Dracula (Kindle Edition)
Crypt of Dracula is a fun vampire story, the way they should be. Hammer horror, Bram Stoker's, and a bit of Dark Shadows all ground up into a fast, cool vampire tale. Check it out!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great vampire story, 15 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Crypt of Dracula (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book much more than I thought I would. It is extremely well written with great, interesting characters. The fight scenes are very well done but not for the weak. I had about 5 chapters to go and needed to sleep but their was no way I was putting the book down until I had read the last page. The book also includes some fantastic illustrations throughout.

The Crypt of Dracula