4.0 out of 5 stars Very decent effort!
I cannot understand some of the negative reviews this book has received on this page. I think Paul Rees has written a very decent biography of Robert Plant. The book is particularly strong on Plant's pre-Zeppelin years, the author has obviously done lots of research and persuaded many of RP's old buddies to talk. The Led Zeppelin years are well covered here too, although...
Published 4 days ago by john neil

2.0 out of 5 stars Robert Plant - Paul Rees biography is dazed and confused
The blurb surrounding this new biography of Robert Plant from its publisher declares proudly that "Paul's close professional relationship with Robert is going to make for a revealing read and we can't wait to bring one of the greatest untold rock n' roll stories to the world." The nature of Paul Rees "professional relationship" is an interesting one. As a...
Published 12 months ago by Red on Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Read, 30 Oct 2013
Being a massive fan of Led Zepp I personally found this book a revelation and a riveting read. I am personally not a big fan of the biography/autobiography genre but found this book both insightful and informative. The author I believe is an ex music journo and was previously the editor of Q so I find it hard to the negative comments claiming the author has no personal knowledge of the subject, I guess it's hard for some fans to believe there heroes have flaws like the rest of us. A highly recommended book and great stocking filler for Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 30 Oct 2013
What a great read. Although this is a biography the book really is fantastically balanced in Robert's story. Wasn't sure what to expect but I really enjoyed.
As a massive Robert Plant fan this is such a great read. I hope the man himself likes it too!!

I noticed the comments below about people saying that the writer has been making too much of his relationship?! What!? It sounds researched and doesnt make me think that the author is claiming to be BFF's with him. Calm down nutters! Gosh, just read the book and enjoy. Stop trying to make a drama!!! I loved the book. If you are a fan of Robert then buyyyyy!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!!!, 30 Oct 2013
I found this book to be quite insightful and an enjoyable read. One of the comments suggesting the writer had made more of the relationship he had with Plant makes no sense since I didn't get that impression nor do I understand what that has to do with anything. A great read and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 July 2014
Mr. James S. Edmondson (u.k.) - See all my reviews
the life and times of possibly one of the greatest vocalists ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 July 2014
Paul is one of my best friends but without bias, excellent book!

4.0 out of 5 stars ... as a gift and the recipient rated as 'I like it'., 8 Sep 2014
I bought this as a gift and the recipient rated as 'I like it'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Rock Book, 30 Oct 2013
I have to admit that Paul Rees certainly knows his stuff about Robert Plant and Zeppelin and paints a very enlightening picture of arguably one of the greatest rock singers of all time. And RP 'A Life' is a very enthralling and entertaining read which I found difficult to put down once I started it. By nature I am always very skeptical about reading books dealing with the subject matter of demigod status, but Rees handles this well & as a real knack of pulling the reader into storyline with some insightful observations and I couldn't help feeling as though I'd come away from this book, like I'd actually learnt something new about RP and his extraordinary life. My fave anecdote is... whilst playing a gig for the Inuits in the arctic circle in Norway, he was christened by the locals 'Old Man Who Looks Like A Woman...' which cracked me up & I can't recommend this book enough. Top rock book.

2.0 out of 5 stars No detail, nothing new, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Robert Plant: A Life: The Biography (Kindle Edition)
Not an inspiring, or particularly educational, biography of one of THE great rock gods.
Little of actual substance, and obviously little input from the man himself.

Wait for the autobiography....if he ever writes it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Whole Lotta Love, 2 Nov 2013
This review is from: Robert Plant: A Life: The Biography (Kindle Edition)
I wasn't old enough to appreciate Led Zep when they started but have now got their full back catalogue as an ever present on the iPhone and was lucky enough to see them at the O2 which was the bomb. I am also a massive fan of Plant's solo projects, his constant pushing of musical boundaries is what sets him apart from the usual rock bands who simply regurgitate their hits.

Plant fascinates me, he is obviously a student of music but also the ultimate front man and with the attitude to go with it - an attitude that comes from within rather than a media persona. I loved this book and learnt so much about the man himself, his is a story that's inspiring, intriguing and at times shocking. The book skips along at a pace in keeping with a Led Zep baseline, each chapter has nuggets of information all fans crave and there was lots of stuff I hadn't heard before. The back stage stories from the people that were actually there were a real eye opener and I found the memories of his friends from the early years much more interesting than I thought.

In summary an insightful and really good book, it doesn't matter if you're a fan of him or not - the making of a rock legend and Birmingham's greatest export is a great read... It's just a shame he's a Wolves fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Robert Plant Review, 1 Nov 2013
This isn't the first bio of Robert Plant and it won't be the last, what 'A Life' seems to have going for it is a journalist with the background, pedigree and insight to really go behind the scenes. Rees has clearly done his homework and the numerous interviews with those who know and have worked with Plant, do offer a revealing look at the rock legend who's known by the Inuit's as the 'man who looks like an old woman.' Definitely worth reading.