5.0 out of 5 stars Superb historical fiction!
The Agincourt Bride, the powerful and utterly compelling account of the childhood and youth of Catherine de Valois and her betrothal and marriage to Henry V, was one of my favourite reads of 2013. The Tudor Bride, its sequel, is every bit as wonderful.

Published 11 months ago by Kate

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't stick with it
This was the second book about Catherine I started reading in the same week - the other being The Forbidden Queen - and I ended up stopping reading both of them within the first quarter. I normally enjoy historical fiction, but found both of these books to be without substance.
Published 6 months ago by Emma Niklasson

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb historical fiction!, 2 Jan 2014
Kate (Oxford, Oxon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Tudor Bride (Paperback)

The Tudor Bride picks up Catherine's story just where we left it. The young woman and bride arrives in England, carried ashore on the shoulders of her new courtiers, ready to take her place as queen of a foreign land beside the almost godlike figure of England's lion, Henry V. But for Catherine the difficulty doesn't come from learning a new language or getting to know new customs, or even a new husband, it comes from the gentleman and ladies of her court. Young women like Eleanor Cobham compete for position in her household and Catherine soon learns that a slight, however unintentional, may become a wound never to be forgotten. Likewise, trouble brews between Henry's brothers. The Duke of Gloucester in particular is a man to be watched by this young woman, fulfilling her duty, trying so hard to produce heirs for a country that hates her home. All, though, might have been bearable if Henry V had lived. But he didn't.

In this deeply evocative and consuming novel, Joanna Hickson presents a living, breathing portrait of Catherine during the best and worst of times. As a widow and mother to a small boy king, her position is precarious at best. Aside from the political and social difficulties Catherine faces, she is a very young woman, beautiful and kind, who has to fight against people who would willingly destroy her rather than allow her any future happiness. For others, her hand in marriage is a great temptation. Kept from her son, spied upon by his regents and tormented by those who once served her, Catherine's lot is laid out before us in a novel that I couldn't let out of my sight.

To bring us even closer, Catherine's story is told, just as it was in the previous novel, in the first person by her wetnurse, companion and faithful loving servant, Mette. Mette has her own sacrifices to make as well as her own future to hope for and the relationship between Mette and her mistress is not always an easy one. Their upheavals only serve to make their story all the more real for the reader. Mette's tale also permits us to see more than Catherine can. It takes us out of the claustrophobic court, into the streets of London or Paris, and also gives us a wider perspective on what Catherine is enduring. Here we have the origins of the Wars of the Roses (not to mention a glimpse of their end) but told in the most personal way.

But this is not a sad tale, even though there are moments when I cried my eyes out (even on the bus and in the office at lunchtime!). There are moments that are so full of happiness as both Catherine and Mette experience love. The drama of the sinister court goes hand in hand with the more domestic but equally deadly drama of childbirth. Catherine the haughty Queen is matched by Catherine the loving wife, mother and friend. I felt my emotions being pulled up and down like a yoyo and by the end I was drained!

This is historical fiction at its very finest and every bit as wonderful and mesmerising as its predecessor The Agincourt Bride. Characters both historic and fictional shine in this novel, each leaving their own mark, led by Catherine de Valois, Henry V's queen and widow, and her faithful servant and companion Mette. I cannot praise this superb novel enough, I only wish I hadn't finished it. I am very grateful for the review copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling reading., 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Tudor Bride (Paperback)
This book picks up where The Agincourt Bride finishes. Catherine of Valois is now Queen of England and waiting to be crowned. She is also eager to produce an heir to the throne.

I am a HUGE fan of historical fiction. Catherine's story is told from the point of view of her ex-nursemaid Mette. Catherine at times is unpredictable resorting back to childish ways if she appears not to get her own way.

As a historical work of fiction, it is beautifully written. Immersing the reader into a sumptuous world before the Wars of The Roses. In a court full of intrigue and plotting. Not forgetting of course the clandestine romance between Owain Tudor and the Dowager Queen. Historical buffs will know that their grandson became Henry VII of England.

I LOVED it

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 25 Feb 2014
K. E. Taylor "Katherine" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tudor Bride (Paperback)
I didn't realise this was a sequel until I had got to the end and read the notes. I've read The White Queen and The Red Queen in the last year and, as good as they were, I found this so much more gripping. As I approached the final section I wondered how it would end. I had to stop reading to get on with work but kept waking in the night, wondering what would happen. I resisted googling to learn the historical facts about Catherine.

I just happened to pick this up in the supermarket. There's quite a lot of historical fiction about now and this is superior.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible., 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Tudor Bride (Paperback)
This was by far the best historical fiction I have read in years, the characters are written beautifully, the storyline captivated me in such a way that I finished the two books within two days. With an ending that brought me to tears, I would recommend this book to anyone, be they a lover of historical fiction or not!

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't stick with it, 4 May 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, gripping medieval book., 27 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Tudor Bride (Paperback)
As an avid reader of historical fiction, I couldn't wait to read this book, although doubted it would surpass Alison Weir or Phillipa Gregory, however I was pleasantly surprised. Joanna Hickson adds and exciting 'human' quality; the characters come alive, particularly that of the relationship between Mette and Katherine, which explores maternal relationships and class issues and expectations of the day. This book is the sequel to 'The Agincourt Bride' which is also excellent. I would recommend reading this book first as the book I'm reviewing is a sequel. You get a real glimpse of medieval society, but I enjoyed the human natures of the characters. I have Joanna Hicksons new book on pre-order & look forward to it's release in December! Please keep writing!! 😃

5.0 out of 5 stars DIDN'T THINK IT COULD BE AS GOOD AS PHILLIPA GREGORY NOVELS BUT I THOROUGHLY ENJOYED IT ..., 14 July 2014
This review is from: The Tudor Bride (Kindle Edition)
DIDN'T THINK IT COULD BE AS GOOD AS PHILLIPA GREGORY NOVELS BUT I THOROUGHLY ENJOYED IT AND SHALL BE LOOKING OUT FOR MORE OF HER NOVELS.

4.0 out of 5 stars Having read and enjoyed the "The Bride of Agincourt" I am now a ..., 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Tudor Bride (Kindle Edition)
Having read and enjoyed the "The Bride of Agincourt" I am now a quarter of the way through this book. I find this period of history fascinating anyway, but obviously there's a fictional element to add interest. I like the way both books are more from the view of the Queen's wet-nurse which gives the reader a different perspective again from similar fiction books from this period where they're about the royal's only. I will surely be reading more from Joanna Hickson.

3.0 out of 5 stars the tudor bride, 21 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Tudor Bride (Kindle Edition)
historical intrest... was easy reading but a bit mills & boon ..but on the whole was a good read ,take it on your holidays.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 July 2014