Horrible Histories - Series 5 [DVD]
Format: DVDChange
Price:£5.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Fifth and final season of Horrible Histories, the comedy sketch show based on the popular children's books which reveal the more gruesome and lesser known things about the past.

You know this already if you're reading this, but just in case you're uninitiated: Each episode lasts twenty seven minutes, and uses a mixture of sketches, regular sketches, songs and animation to tell the facts about history. All linked together by a puppet rat called Rattus Rattus. There are regular mentions of certain bodily functions, but never for cheap laughs. Simply because it was a horrible bit of history. The regular cast of performers switch effortlessly between character and costume from sketch to sketch.

And this is one of those shows that has fans of all ages. Because it's silly and funny enough for the kids, whilst being funny for the grown ups who appreciate how clever the writing is - among other things, it will do very clever wordplay. Grown ups also appreciate the very sharp comedy. Plus all generations do get interesting facts presented to them in an interesting manner.

This season was twelve episodes. The box does say thirteen but that's because the 'savage songs' extra, which usually links all the songs from individual episodes together, was also broadcast as an individual episode in it's own right. All the songs in this do appear in the other episodes of the season. But it does contain original linking material featuring Rattus Rattus which is pretty funny.

There's a good mix of regular sketches through the season, with plenty of Horrible histories movie pitch, historical apprentice, ancient Brian Cox, and a good few stupid deaths. Bob Hale puts in three appearances. And one semi regular sketch not seen in a while does also make a welcome one off return. It also touches on the twentieth century outside of the World Wars, with some 'Troublesome twentieth century' stuff.

The final episode does end on a big rousing musical number which does bring a lot together, and is a song that will stick in your mind for a while. It's a really great finale of the kind the show deserved.

The dvd has the following language and subtitle options:

Languages: English.

Subtitles: English.

Extras, in addition to the aforementioned Savage Songs [that can be watched individually rather than having to go through it all for just one song] are the usual quiz questions, pulling out all those from individual episodes. Bloopers: two minutes of outtakes.

Plus stuff we couldn't fit in. This batch of scenes runs for almost twenty five minutes, so it's almost the length of a full episode. Since it contains one of the best ever stupid deaths, and a brilliant ancient Greek version of a certain game show. So it's well worth a watch.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 23 September 2013
I'm so sorry to hear that Series Five is the last one! I have watched every episode of "Horrible Histories", and now my six-year-old daughter is watching them, and asking me hundreds of questions about the "olden days." Another little history buff is formed.

The show reminds me a little of "The Goodies", which I watched when I was my daughter's age, in that you have multiple sketches set in various historical eras, where the adult performers are being very, very silly - but the writing is sharp, and every sketch is based on a genuine historical fact or two. In Series Five, the subject matter also spreads out into the twentieth century a little more, so figures like Neil Armstrong and Rosa Parks are included.

As usual, the songs are one of the best bits. I particularly enjoyed a song about Crassus done to Dizzee Rascal, a hippie Viking song done to Simon & Garfunkel, and an Alexander the Great song done in Bon Jovi style. (Though there was no smashing of lyres on the stage afterwards.)

The talented actors leap from character to character effortlessly, and I look forward to seeing them all again in the future in other productions. If only adult sketch comedy shows could be this good!
on 22 September 2014
Both my children who are 9 and 7 years old absolutely love this series. I let them watch it so that they learn about history, but it gives me an excuse to watch it as well (I have to admit, I find it entertaining and informative)! The songs are very clever and catchy and the parodies are hilarious and help the children remember what they've learned. A must buy for sure.
on 29 July 2014
Brilliant! I lose track of which series is which as we've had them all on rotation for 7 months now - my daughter loves them, she's 6 and it's also teaching my husband and I a thing or two as well. It's really fed her thirst for knowledge and she will quite often come out with some fact or another which she will proudly claim she learnt from Horrible Histories.

Really recommend to anyone with kids from about 5-6 years. Love singing the songs - wish they'd release a CD of them!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
"Horrible Histories" from a brilliant start has got progressively better through the series. Funny and educational, it slips you snippets of history via funny sketches and memorable songs, highlighting scatalogical bits because that engages childrens interest and sense of humour.

The writing is excellent and equal credit must go to the cast, its been a pretty stable group right the way through and the BBC got the casting right, there is a magic about this particular mix of actors and the outtakes are a delight to watch as they corpse and giggle.

So to Series 5, sadly the last series, but with some of the best sketches and songs. The Simon and Garfunkel spoof on the Vikings and Crassus' rap are the two that come immediately to mind, but the high standards of previous series have been maintained, if not exceeded.

There is also a box set of all 5 series available.
on 19 June 2013
Series 5 has to be the best series of horrible histories ever:)

The sketches are "HILLARIOUS", The songs are "TOP NOTCH" and the acting is "EXCELLENT".

As a 24 year old, i am not ashamed whatsoever to say that i am their biggest fan. :)

This dvd is for everyone. :) ORDER NOW!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 23 May 2014
Always loved this series ever since seen it on TV, realistic, funny, and educational.

However, the last song on series 5 make it feel like as if it's the last of the series, a quick search on the internet confirmed my fear, Horrible Histories is indeed ended in 2013, and I'm feeling so sorry for lived under rocks.
on 14 April 2014
The best educational kids show EveR goes out with a "Stupid Death" rather than a memorable yet "Dodgy War Invention."
Considering the wonderful show Horrible Histories is, with fans of all ages, coming to a finale, was I wrong to expect a little something extra?
A few extra special features, maybe?

Such as an interview with the cast or the poor man who has to put his hand up a rats bottom.
A look inside the Make Up / Wardrobe Department.
Or a tour of where the location scenes we're filmed.

Instead of these things we would have loved to had seen we got the Song listing, quiz and very few outtakes.
Even the final song was so melancholy and mediocre it wouldn't have been selected for Eurovision.
I would love to give it 5 Stars. But I just can't.
As a finale to such a great show it's done better in earlier seasons.
on 8 July 2014
Very funny and educational! A great way to reach history,my grandchildren learn as they laugh!
on 15 November 2013
Being a forty year old, Horrible Histories is one of my guilty pleasures. Yes I know it is a children's television programme, but in my view it is spoilt on kids, us adults can enjoy the humour in the programme just as much as the kids can. I love the fact that I learn some interesting facts about history too, acted out by some brilliant actors, but in amusing fashion.
I'm not sure if my favourite section is the excellent 'Stupid Deaths' sections or the songs, because both are so well performed.
I was very sad to hear that this is to be the final series of this fantastic programme, but I will have to console myself with the 5 series that I have purchased to continue viewing this gem of a programme.