1,318 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars I purchased 3 of these
Update 7/3/14 - Fitbit just came out with a new upgrade to the Fitbit app for the iPhone which adds some very cool GPS features. I'm adding details at the end of this review.

Published 5 months ago by PT Cruiser

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite sure.....
Published 16 months ago by Ebuyer

5.0 out of 5 stars I purchased 3 of these, 9 May 2014
PT Cruiser (West Coast) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

I bought 3 of these fitbit flex devices, one for myself, my husband and my sister. Before purchasing I researched several wristband devices such as the Jawbone UP, the Nike Fuel and and the Polar Loop. I also looked at the fitbit force which is a newer version of this band. The lack of water resistance on the force was a deal breaker for me. I wanted to be able to wear this band 24/7 and to be able to wear it in the shower or when swimming. That was part of what made it attractive to me. Also, after reading reviews about the clasp problems on the force and how many people lost them, I wanted no part of that. They are also quite a bit bigger and look clunckier. The wristband on the UP looked like it would catch on everything and had no display at all. The Polar had lots of quality problems. I wasn't crazy about the looks of the Nike. The display is nice and I can see how people would like them, but not my style. The fitbit flex, to my tastes, had the coolest look. I also know a couple of people who own the fitbit flex and they were very enthusiastic about them so that influenced me as well.

So here is what I like about the flex: I like the way it looks on my wrist. All of us got the slate color. You can also order bands in a few different colors, both here and on the Fitbit site. It is lightweight and even though I don't often wear a watch I don't notice this on my wrist at all. The clasp was VERY difficult to secure the first couple of times until the rubber softened up a bit and until I got the hang of it. I secured it off of my wrist a couple times when it was new. Making sure the band and clasps are lined up correctly and then placing one finger directly below the clasp and my thumb directly above and squeezing hard was the way to do it.

I like that it's water resistant and that I can wear it swimming or in the shower. It is safe down to 10 meters or around 30 feet. I like that the wristband is made of TPU rubber, which according to Wikipedia is a type of rubber used in automotive instrument panels, caster wheels, power tools, sporting goods, medical devices, drive belts, footwear, inflatable rafts, and a variety of extruded film, sheet and profile applications. I think it should hold up for a very long time. I like that the display on the band gives me a rough idea by tapping on it of my progress throughout the day. I can also check my progress on my iPhone 4S and see number of steps so far, calories burned,how many hours of sleep I got last night and how often I woke up or was restless. So far it seems very accurate. I can also track the foods I've eaten and the calories, my weight goals and weight lost, check on the weekly number of steps friend's with Fitbits have taken and compare them with my own.

I like that I can wear it 24/7 and only have to take it off to charge it once every 7 days. It takes about 3 hours to charge with a USB thingie that comes with it. I use a wall adapter to charge it but could also use a USB port on my desktop or laptop computer. I've lost too many pedometers in the past by dropping them out of my pockets or forgetting about them and sending them through the washing machine, so the wristband seems like a much better option for me. I also like that I can connect wirelessly with my smartphone and with the little dongle included that goes into my desktop or laptop, can connect with those wirelessly as well. Software downloads for all of these are free. I'm also able to connect on my first gen Kindle HD 8.9 although I can't see where it's shown as a supported device so far. But it works with the Android fitbit software in the app store.

The step measurements seem reasonably accurate. Waving my hand slowly won't register as a step. Waving wildly will. Driving in the car won't register but reaching around quickly in the car sometimes will. Typing on the computer or Kindle won't register. I've heard that swimming doesn't register either but you can input the time and activity on your phone or tablet. When I first got the flex I started the iPhone app and watched my steps register on my screen as I walked around the house. That, and watching my steps on the treadmill have shown it to be pretty accurate for me, although not perfect. I think that all pedometers have some inaccuracies. What I'm looking for is a comparative trend where I can tell how much exercise I'm getting. The accuracy is good enough for me.

So I wake up in the morning, tap the wristband quickly a few times to tell it I'm awake. Then if I tap it twice I see one tiny blinking light, telling me I'm working on my first 2,000 steps. Later, when I've hit that mark and tap to check again, I'll see one solid light and the second one blinking. There are 5 lights total and each represents 2,000 steps (or 20% of my goal. I could set it up differently on my computer, using a different number of steps as my daily goal if I wanted to.) So I can see my approximate progress any time during the day. When I hit my goal of 10,000 steps the band vibrates and all the lights flash. That means you done good!

I can set up to 8 silent vibrating alarms on this fltbit. I have one to wake me up on weekdays (you can specify which days) and one at 8:00 each night to remind me stop eating for the day. The vibration gets my attention and is effective at waking me up. I set the alarms on my computer or phone.

At night when I'm in bed and ready to go to sleep I tap the wristband rapidly a few times, it vibrates briefly, and goes into the sleep mode until I wake it again in the morning.

So am I happy that I purchased the Fitbits for myself and my family members? Yes I am. It motivates me to walk or run more. I can connect to other friends and family with Fitbits to see everyone's weekly step progress but what really motivates me is just competing against myself. I'll find myself parking in the back of the parking lots at stores to log those extra steps or walking around the store longer because it's a good way to add even more. When I haven't reached my goal at night, I'll sometimes walk around the house several times just to hit a number. Now that can't be all bad, can it?

Update 1/12/14 - I'll keep updating this review with comments and observations as I use this device. I noticed that walking at a rapid pace is counted as "active minutes". Someone on a message board suggested adding a touch of lotion to the clasp if you're having trouble getting it to clasp when it's new.

Update 1/16/14 - A full charge is lasting just a bit over 7 days. It takes about 3 hours to recharge it fully.

Update 1/21/14 - Some people have complained about this band coming undone and losing it. I haven't had any problems with it at all, even when pulling tight coat and shirt sleeves over it, brushing my arm against things or the dog pulling on it once or twice. (I'm sure the dog could have pulled it off if I didn't stop him.) The other day I had the dog's leash wrapped around the wrist with the Fitbit and even with the dog pulling against the leash the fitbit stayed on. We walked this way a couple of miles before I noticed it and unwrapped the leash from my wrist. But even with all that agitation my fitbit stayed put. It has stayed on through enough that I'm not very concerned about losing it. I've only taken it off to charge it. I have the band snug enough that I can only put one finger beneath the band but I can move it a couple of inches back and forth on my wrist.

Update 6/9/14 - Still loving the Fitbit and still wearing it 24/7. The battery is still lasting about 7 days before needing a recharge and it still takes about three hours to charge. It has been working perfectly with no problems at all. My sister gave me these bands for my birthday a couple months ago Fitbit Flex Accessory Wristbands Three-Pack so now I switch to different colors that go with whatever I'm wearing. I really like the navy color. Fitbit is great motivation to keep me moving.

Update 7/3/14 - A new update that works with the iPhone devices that use the Fitbit app was released a few days ago. I've used it with my iPhone 4S and really like the new upgrade. It adds a whole new dimension to my Fitbit app. With the upgrade, I just click on the exercise icon on the dashboard which takes me to a new screen showing the days of the week that I've exercised. (Meaning a walk, run or hike, something in addition to the regular walking in my daily activities.) This screen shows exercise frequency by day of the week, it puts a check on the days that you do some planned exercise. If I click the little stopwatch in the upper right-hand corner, it takes me to a screen where I can click Walk, Run, or Hike. I go back and can then click Cues which takes me to another screen where I can select whether or not I want to hear spoken cues. I can also tell it which cues I want including: Distance, Time, Average Pace, Split Pace, and Calories Burned. Then I go back again an can select the frequency of the cues from every .5 miles to every 5 miles. Or, I can make the cues time based ranging from every 2 minutes, 3, 4, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, or 30 minutes. I can also select the volume of the cues. (Medium was perfect for me.) Then, back again to select a playlist from my iPhone's loaded tunes. Last, I allowed location services for Fitbit in my phone settings and I was ready to go. Now I see a big red circle with a Start arrow on the screen over a GPS map showing my location. I pop in my earphones, click Start and my music starts playing.

As I walk, I can see a screen showing how far I've walked, rate per mile, time elapsed. Every half mile a voice interrupts my music telling me how far I've gone and all the other things I've specified in Cues that I wanted to know. Then it goes back to playing my music until it's time for my next designated Cue. How cool is that? It works seamlessly. At the end of my walk I tell it I'm finished (or I could also pause it if I stop to talk to a neighbor or something). When I'm finished (or even during the walk or run) I can see a little red line showing my route on the map. The steps from my walk are added to my steps count, just as they always are. I love these new features. They add a lot to the Fitbit experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gets me moving, 18 Aug 2013
I didn't buy my fitbit flex from amazon, but rather a high street catalogue shop and in fairness that was because I wanted it then and there as I was about to go running and wanted to try it out.

I already had a fitbit zip which was good but the amount of times I left it on the bedside cabinet meant days went without any tracking. so I thought the wristband would be better for me.

I use the large band and I'm happy that it's comfortable (if not the easiest to put on with one hand - but it won't come off) and I forget it's on my wrist.

I like the sleep tracking function - it has shown me what I already know - I'm a restless sleeper - but no advice on how to change that!

More so that anything else I set a target number of steps on my iphone and throughout the day give it a double tap and see my progress. I've yet to not achieve my goal as I find myself quite competitive and don't want to be beaten by a machine.

The up side of that is I'm spending more time with my dog out long walks and after 3 weeks of using it I've lost 6lbs in weight. my overall goal was to become more active and fit and as a result I knew I'd lose weight but I didn't think it would be that quick.

the iphone app is ok but the web dashboard is much better if you have the time to log in to it. the graphs are more detailed and easier to follow online. there is a fitbit premium service you can join for £39.99 but I did the one week trial and couldn't really see what all the fuss was about.

the flex is well made and easy to use and it's great if you can get your friends into a fitbit - you get a progress chart on your phone and it constantly updates showing who is in the lead for the week with the total number of steps - another great way to get motivated.

I think the price seemed a bit much when I was buying it but now that I have it I enjoy using it.

my only two complaints are:

1. that there is no indication of when the battery is about to go flat - except in the app,

2. that the online fitbit store differs from country to country and the UK doesn't have replacement flex bands yet - there's nothing wrong with mine but it's orange and a bit bright for me - I'd rather have had the slate - but like I said earlier I couldn't wait for the delivery.

I hope this has been useful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite sure....., 18 Jun 2013
Ebuyer "Ian B" (Pewsey. UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I waited a long time for this to be released onto the market and now I've used it for a few weeks I'm not quite sure about it. There's an expectation (probably fuelled by the hype around these devices) that they're something more sophisticated than a pedometer that sits on your wrist - well, even with all the complex algorithms and blurb, they're still measuring movement at wrist level. That said, if you understand this and make the necessary allowances you should be able to get a decent benchmark on your daily activities but a £10 manual pedometer will do the same for you.

Here are my pro's and con's:

Pro's:

Sits nicely on your wrist and is comfortable and unobtrusive.
Quick indication of your planned "steps" for the day.
Great app with continual bluetooth connection - this is the best out there.
Doesn't need to be removed for bathing.
Tracks sleep pretty effectively.
You can integrate other data (BP, food, water weight etc.) on the web site. This is a novelty when you first start out but who seriously has the time to do all this?

Con's:
Water gets in the bracelet and it gets gunky in the strap.
Unpredictable tracking of movements - it tracks cycling but for no logical reason and not accurate so it throws the figures way out. Same for cross trainer. Same for typing.
Battery life is short - 4 days max for me so far.
If the battery goes flat you lose all the unsynchronised data - easy to do if you're not near a charging point and I don't think there's any indication on the device that it's going to fail - you have to refer to the app.

So, I'm unsure about it. It's as good if not better than any of the others out there but it's really not much different to the old fashioned pedometers. Probably the natural successor that we've all got to have, which is why I bought it! I'll keep it going but can see it eventually making it's way to the back of the drawer like all the other life-changing gadgets that I've bought........

UPDATE 22 JULY 2013...
Well, I've stuck with it and reckon it may end up in the back of the drawer. Couple of things that really don't do it for me:

If you do anything fairly active (like a bit of DIY), you can easily put it into sleep mode.

Battery life is pretty poor.

Just tried to update the software - completely hung and needs a reset.

Strap is really nasty in the hot weather.

UPDATE 28 AUGUST 2013....
It froze completely and went into no response mode. Tried all the reset recommendations and nothing. Wouldn't hold a charge, didn't respond to taps etc. Sent it back (thanks Amazon and Fitbit - great customer service) and got a new one.

5.0 out of 5 stars then makes you feel good about doing them, 17 July 2014
This little gizmo has turned my life around. It goads you into doing the things you don't want to, then makes you feel good about doing them. Simple and effective. On me anyway

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor design of charging dock and a warranty policy that disadvantages buyers, 17 Aug 2014
Mr. Jw Perks (Lincolnshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Don't bother with the Fitbit. The Fitbit has a commonly reported faulty charging dock when you plug the usb into your laptop. This has happened with me after only 8 weeks. You'd think they would have product tested this better. If you really are tempted then don't buy this from the marketplace because Fitbit won't honour any warranty because you will have bought it from an 'unauthorised seller'. How are you as a customer supposed to know this? I've contacted the seller who refuses to deal with it and has told me to contact Fitbit themselves.

This was their response

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for providing us with your purchase information.

Unfortunately, because your Flex Tracker was purchased through an unauthorized seller (iHeadphone), it does not fall within our limited warranty. For the details of our return policy please go to [...]

Per these terms, warranty service is available to "the original purchaser," which in this case would be the unauthorized seller who purchased the device from Fitbit before selling it to you. We advise contacting them directly for assistance with the product.

For a list of our authorized retailers please visit [...]
Just to clarify, Amazon is an authorized retailer, but not individual sellers like iHeadphone.

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.

Sincerely,
Rony U and the Fitbit Team

5.0 out of 5 stars Go out and buy one!, 20 July 2014
I'm a woman of a certain age (wink!) and my weight has quietly increased. The only answer is to increase energy burned and monitor/reduce fuel intake. Not rocket science, but keeping track of your activity levels and your food can be a bore. I love the fitbit because it links the gadget on your wrist to a "dashboard" on your computer (or other device). The dashboard allows you to set and monitor tailored goals in real time. My favourite feature is the "calories in vs calories out" display. At any point in the day I can see how many calories I've burned (based on activity and logged food consumption) and how many I have left to consume. Increase your activity and you can increase the calories to eat. This data is then added to an extended visual display which allows you to see how your fitness etc has changed over an extended time period (days building to weeks and months) It's really simple to use and checking your personal data can be slightly addictive. The fitbit will not magically turn you into an athlete but if you are looking for an easy way to track and motivate lifestyle changes this is a must have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great gadget, wish the wristbands lasted longer, 13 Oct 2014
I've had my Fitbit since Christmas and I love that such a tiny gadget can do so much. I mostly use it to count my steps (surprisingly I was more active than I thought) and also the silent alarm to discreetly wake me in the morning. I do really love my Fitbit, but have knocked off a star for some minor gripes - firstly the charge time seems to vary considerably (anything from 2 to 6 days) even if I am using it consistently in the same way, secondly is that in less than 10 months, my third wristband (all authentic Fitbit ones) has just split, so I have now spent almost as much on replacement bands as the original Fitbit cost. My husband, who has had his Fitbit for around a year has also gone through three wristbands. Lastly, I travel a lot and although the time zone on my Fitbit is set to update automatically, the activity log does get confused initially and takes a couple of days before it sorts itself out.

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm confused is this a step counter or not? And apologies for the length of the review..., 2 July 2013
John "John75222" (Leeds, Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have a Fitbit Ultra Wireless Activity Plus Sleep Tracker (now replaced by the Fitbit One Wireless Activity and Sleep Tracker). I've had it for eighteen months and I'm never without it. However, like anything else, if something different comes along I'm willing to give it a go. This looked ideal. The flex101 is about a quarter of the size of the ultra and fits neatly into a wristband (trendy). So this review is written from the point of view of a fitbit product user testing and comparing a new fitbit product against an existing fitbit product that supposedly does more or less the same thing.

Fitbit products all come with a basic website that logs the information the pedometers generate and you can link the website with other websites like MyFitnessPal to transfer data between sites. You can pay more money for the premium Fitbit site, which includes motivational tools and other material. I tried it when I bought my Ultra but it didn't give me any more useful information so I cancelled it before the end of the trial period.

I'll declare straight away that I'm not a fan of this new piece of kit. Yes, the wristband is neat (You do get two; one large and one small), you can even shower with it on, you can set it to discreetly wake you up or remind you of something (set up via the website) and the size of the flex101 is amazing, but... and it's a big but... I have some major concerns as detailed below.

Background before comment. I set up a dummy account, using a different email address and entered all my current details onto that account's database: height, weight, stride length, etc. So I have my Ultra on one account and the Flex101 on the dummy both containing exactly the same information. So far so good. Because I wear my watch on my left hand (non-dominant, the one Fitbit recommend you wear the flex on) and I'm a fairly large (6'4") I had to use my right (dominant) hand and thicker wrist to wear the wristband on (it only just fit) - the website does allow you to identify that you're using the (effectively) wrong hand, so I presume the algorithm the Flex101 uses takes this into account. The Ultra you can wear just about anywhere - waist to neck, I wear mine on my trousers waistband.

My first concern is to accuracy. After wearing both the Ultra and Flex101 for 11 days there is a significant difference between the two in steps recording. The Flex101 is recording anywhere between 30-40% more steps than my Ultra. The fewer steps and the greater the disparity between the two. Because the Ultra has a display that will stay on for a few seconds when pressed I can actually see what it's recording in real time and can step count actual steps and see that those are being recorded. I also know my Ultra is correct because over the last eighteen months I've checked the distance against a portable GPS device Garmin Forerunner 410 GPS Sportswatch with Heart Rate Monitor, maps, and steps multiplied by stride length, each method gives figures within 50 metres of each other on a 15k walk.

So, first problem. If I can't trust the information on the number of steps recorded then it becomes worthless. Because the Flex101 (like the Ultra) works on an algorithm that converts steps into other information this then impacts the number of calories burned, activity levels and distance. So my Flex101 was telling me I was burning more calories, more active and walking further than my Ultra, and like I said I know that from [number of steps x distance recorded] that the Ultra is reasonably accurate (99% on my usage), so this one fault of the Flex101 massively over-recording the step count renders the information it provides useless. Some may say that it's recording activity: i.e. more upper body movement = more activity so the calorie burn and activity indication is more accurate, but it isn't sold as that. It's sold as a high tech pedometer. So again if the step count is significantly out it's not doing the job you've paid £90+ for.

Second problem. No display on the Flex101, for me that is another serious problem as it doesn't give me any usable information when I'm nowhere near the computer I download to. With the Ultra I get basic information; time, steps, floors climbed, calories burned and activity level in real time, the Flex gives me nothing, no indication, not even basic information through the day, nada. I am aware that you can use a smartphone to sync, but in some respects I am a techno-dinosaur my phone is basic.

Thirdly, speaking from personal experience of having lost my first Ultra, I have doubts about how long this will last before I lose it. Well I should clarify that. I don't think I would necessarily lose the Flex101 itself but my main concerns would be as follows: 1) the charger unit is small enough to misplace (then you've no means of charging it) and just as important is 2) the incredibly small dongle that you sync your flex to your computer with. In the Ultra both these functions are performed by a fairly large base unit. Fitbit don't do separate bits of kit so if you lose, or misplace, either of these items you're stuffed and currently will have to buy another Flex. ** see update note below **

Another negative point for me is that it doesn't record the number of floors, or height, climbed which the Ultra does and on the Ultra this information feeds into the algorithm that then shows calorie burn and activity level based on what you've done. If all you are recording is the number of steps but not the type of terrain then you're not getting an accurate indication of activity levels that then means that your calories burned figure is also going to be inaccurate.

I did email Fitbit support about a week after I got this to share my concerns that there was such a massive discrepancy between the information the two products were recording but to date haven't had a reply. I am really confused as to how two products that reportedly do the same job can be so far apart in terms of the information recorded.

Both are supposed to be able to hold information and charge for a week but I normally (habit) recharge every three days so I'll have to trust the company stats on that one. Both can record sleep by a simple tap (Flex101) or holding the button (Ultra).

Because of all of the above concerns I am sticking with my Ultra. From my experience with it over the last two weeks there appear to be significant problems with the Flex101 of over-recording which you do not want, particularly if you are using this as part of a weight management and exercise programme, because of the knock-on effect this over-recording has on the other information generated. If it's over recording by at least 30% then that is no good. I also have concerns about losing one or both of the two small pieces of kit that either charges it, or transfers the data, given that you cannot buy any of the Fitbit accessories separately. You have to be incredibly organised keeping this kit together.

In summary; it's tiny, its (!?) trendy and you can wear it in the shower and you can set an alarm. But if it's inaccurate it's worthless. If you're going to spend this amount of money on an advanced pedometer then you'd be better off with an Ultra or Fitbit One.

Update: 14/7/13 After writing the review I swopped wrists to see if it made a difference. After wearing it for a further ten days and getting similar results the answer is no. There is still a 30-40% disparity in recording with the Flex101 over-recording when compared to the Ultra. The over recording is worse the less active you are. Another reviewer has also pointed out that you can now buy accessories on the FitBit website. However, the list of accessories you can buy does not include a charger for the Flex101, although you can buy the dongle as it's the same dongle used for the FitBit One & FitBit Zip.

Update: 22/7/13. I've now worn the flex next to my Ultra in the belt loot of my trousers and there has been a significant decrease in the over-recording. The disparity between the two is now between 10-17% depending on activity: i.e. The less walking I do, the greater the difference. Usually if I'm walking less then I'm on a bike, either at my geriatric spin class or on a static bike. So by the looks of things this is picking up activity. It's one of the few things where I complain about the Ultra, in that I have to manually input time spent on non-walking activity, as generally if you're not walking the Ultra assumes you're sedentary.

Update: 10/8/13. For the last fortnight I've worn the flex clingfilmed to my Ultra so they're in exactly the same place. It's still managing to over record but now it's consistently at around 7% (spread from 2% to 9% with the greater disparity remaining on less active days), however this is much better than the 30+% that I was getting when I was wearing it on my wrist, but then that's the point to even get close to the figure produced by my Ultra it's now no longer on my wrist it's on my belt loop. I'd still recommend the Ultra/fitbit one if you want an intelligent pedometer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent device, everyone should have one!, 1 Oct 2014
Joe Green (South East, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity Tracker & Sleep Wristband (Sports)
I bought my Flex just over a year ago and I felt that now would be a good time to review it. Originally I wanted to get the Force as it had a watch display but sadly that never came out over here so I settled for the Flex. I really like it, it's unobtrusive on your wrist (I wear a lot of gadgets/smartwatches etc. as I'm obsessed) and the battery life means it's not annoying having to remember to charge it all the time, mine lasts around a week per full charge. I have worn it every day in the year that I have been using it and it has been interesting to see the stats for both my daily steps and also the sleep I get. I finally convinced my mum to get one recently and now we can see where her exercise falls short as well so that we can both work on improving that. Adding that competitive spirit is great so I highly recommend encouraging friends to get one (or that you all get the same brand if you choose an alternative) as that is the best way to motivate yourself to improve your exercise. I would highly recommend this product to anyone. It is interesting to get a better grasp on your exercise routine and just by having it I am more conscious of what I am doing and it naturally motivates me to walk a bit more than I normally do. I also find the silent alarms irreplaceable in my life. I use them for everything from waking up to remembering when to leave to get somewhere on time. They are strong enough to wake you but they don't jolt you awake like an alarm does so you wake up quite relaxed. I would really like to see them add a sleep pattern monitor so that the morning alarm would happen at the lightest point of sleep but I am still very satisfied with what I currently have. My only criticism would be the durability of the strap. I just recently replaced mine as the strap split whilst removing the device to charge it. The cost of new straps is a little high and the availability of black ones is very limited which seems pretty silly. Hopefully they can iron out those issues. Other than that, everyone should get a fitness band, no matter what brand, it just makes you more conscious of your exercise and naturally motivates a healthier lifestyle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Product -- Highly Recommend for People who want to be Healthier, and need some motivation, 26 Sep 2014
The product arrived nicely packed and fully functional.

The fitbit flex is very user friendly (I use it on my macbook, ipads, and iphone) once you take the time to learn a bit about it. I don't use every single feature because my objective is to rehabilitate myself after a brain haemorrhage. I have been using it for the last month and purchased a second one for my sister based on my experience. It works for me because I can set my own goals and keep increasing the goals to get walking more. 3 months ago, I was paralyzed. Initially I saw a physio, but once I got my fitbit, I could monitor my progress on my own so my need for physio appts decreased. Now I am walking 3 miles a day, largely due to the fitbit.

If your goal, like many people, is to lose weight or track weight, this is a great product because you can count calorie intake and compare against recommended intake (based on your weight loss goals). Through fitbit, you can add your friends and compete, which definitely drives me to do more. The few things it doesn't do is count other excercises, such as crunches, yoga, steps, pilates, etc. You also cannot wear this in the pool, although it is OK for showering, but I prefer to remove it with my watch when I shower.

The most motivating moment of the day is when you reach your step goal and fitbit rewards you with a vibration and flashing lights. You also receive emails when you hit certain milestones, and get badges for hitting those.