1,049 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars I purchased 3 of these
Update 7/3/14 - Fitbit just came out with a new upgrade to the Fitbit app for the iPhone which adds some very cool GPS features. I'm adding details at the end of this review.

Published 2 months ago by PT Cruiser

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite sure.....
Published 13 months ago by Ebuyer

5.0 out of 5 stars I purchased 3 of these, 9 May 2014
PT Cruiser (West Coast) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

I bought 3 of these fitbit flex devices, one for myself, my husband and my sister. Before purchasing I researched several wristband devices such as the Jawbone UP, the Nike Fuel and and the Polar Loop. I also looked at the fitbit force which is a newer version of this band. The lack of water resistance on the force was a deal breaker for me. I wanted to be able to wear this band 24/7 and to be able to wear it in the shower or when swimming. That was part of what made it attractive to me. Also, after reading reviews about the clasp problems on the force and how many people lost them, I wanted no part of that. They are also quite a bit bigger and look clunckier. The wristband on the UP looked like it would catch on everything and had no display at all. The Polar had lots of quality problems. I wasn't crazy about the looks of the Nike. The display is nice and I can see how people would like them, but not my style. The fitbit flex, to my tastes, had the coolest look. I also know a couple of people who own the fitbit flex and they were very enthusiastic about them so that influenced me as well.

So here is what I like about the flex: I like the way it looks on my wrist. All of us got the slate color. You can also order bands in a few different colors, both here and on the Fitbit site. It is lightweight and even though I don't often wear a watch I don't notice this on my wrist at all. The clasp was VERY difficult to secure the first couple of times until the rubber softened up a bit and until I got the hang of it. I secured it off of my wrist a couple times when it was new. Making sure the band and clasps are lined up correctly and then placing one finger directly below the clasp and my thumb directly above and squeezing hard was the way to do it.

I like that it's water resistant and that I can wear it swimming or in the shower. It is safe down to 10 meters or around 30 feet. I like that the wristband is made of TPU rubber, which according to Wikipedia is a type of rubber used in automotive instrument panels, caster wheels, power tools, sporting goods, medical devices, drive belts, footwear, inflatable rafts, and a variety of extruded film, sheet and profile applications. I think it should hold up for a very long time. I like that the display on the band gives me a rough idea by tapping on it of my progress throughout the day. I can also check my progress on my iPhone 4S and see number of steps so far, calories burned,how many hours of sleep I got last night and how often I woke up or was restless. So far it seems very accurate. I can also track the foods I've eaten and the calories, my weight goals and weight lost, check on the weekly number of steps friend's with Fitbits have taken and compare them with my own.

I like that I can wear it 24/7 and only have to take it off to charge it once every 7 days. It takes about 3 hours to charge with a USB thingie that comes with it. I use a wall adapter to charge it but could also use a USB port on my desktop or laptop computer. I've lost too many pedometers in the past by dropping them out of my pockets or forgetting about them and sending them through the washing machine, so the wristband seems like a much better option for me. I also like that I can connect wirelessly with my smartphone and with the little dongle included that goes into my desktop or laptop, can connect with those wirelessly as well. Software downloads for all of these are free. I'm also able to connect on my first gen Kindle HD 8.9 although I can't see where it's shown as a supported device so far. But it works with the Android fitbit software in the app store.

The step measurements seem reasonably accurate. Waving my hand slowly won't register as a step. Waving wildly will. Driving in the car won't register but reaching around quickly in the car sometimes will. Typing on the computer or Kindle won't register. I've heard that swimming doesn't register either but you can input the time and activity on your phone or tablet. When I first got the flex I started the iPhone app and watched my steps register on my screen as I walked around the house. That, and watching my steps on the treadmill have shown it to be pretty accurate for me, although not perfect. I think that all pedometers have some inaccuracies. What I'm looking for is a comparative trend where I can tell how much exercise I'm getting. The accuracy is good enough for me.

So I wake up in the morning, tap the wristband quickly a few times to tell it I'm awake. Then if I tap it twice I see one tiny blinking light, telling me I'm working on my first 2,000 steps. Later, when I've hit that mark and tap to check again, I'll see one solid light and the second one blinking. There are 5 lights total and each represents 2,000 steps (or 20% of my goal. I could set it up differently on my computer, using a different number of steps as my daily goal if I wanted to.) So I can see my approximate progress any time during the day. When I hit my goal of 10,000 steps the band vibrates and all the lights flash. That means you done good!

I can set up to 8 silent vibrating alarms on this fltbit. I have one to wake me up on weekdays (you can specify which days) and one at 8:00 each night to remind me stop eating for the day. The vibration gets my attention and is effective at waking me up. I set the alarms on my computer or phone.

At night when I'm in bed and ready to go to sleep I tap the wristband rapidly a few times, it vibrates briefly, and goes into the sleep mode until I wake it again in the morning.

So am I happy that I purchased the Fitbits for myself and my family members? Yes I am. It motivates me to walk or run more. I can connect to other friends and family with Fitbits to see everyone's weekly step progress but what really motivates me is just competing against myself. I'll find myself parking in the back of the parking lots at stores to log those extra steps or walking around the store longer because it's a good way to add even more. When I haven't reached my goal at night, I'll sometimes walk around the house several times just to hit a number. Now that can't be all bad, can it?

Update 1/12/14 - I'll keep updating this review with comments and observations as I use this device. I noticed that walking at a rapid pace is counted as "active minutes". Someone on a message board suggested adding a touch of lotion to the clasp if you're having trouble getting it to clasp when it's new.

Update 1/16/14 - A full charge is lasting just a bit over 7 days. It takes about 3 hours to recharge it fully.

Update 1/21/14 - Some people have complained about this band coming undone and losing it. I haven't had any problems with it at all, even when pulling tight coat and shirt sleeves over it, brushing my arm against things or the dog pulling on it once or twice. (I'm sure the dog could have pulled it off if I didn't stop him.) The other day I had the dog's leash wrapped around the wrist with the Fitbit and even with the dog pulling against the leash the fitbit stayed on. We walked this way a couple of miles before I noticed it and unwrapped the leash from my wrist. But even with all that agitation my fitbit stayed put. It has stayed on through enough that I'm not very concerned about losing it. I've only taken it off to charge it. I have the band snug enough that I can only put one finger beneath the band but I can move it a couple of inches back and forth on my wrist.

Update 6/9/14 - Still loving the Fitbit and still wearing it 24/7. The battery is still lasting about 7 days before needing a recharge and it still takes about three hours to charge. It has been working perfectly with no problems at all. My sister gave me these bands for my birthday a couple months ago Fitbit Flex Accessory Wristbands Three-Pack so now I switch to different colors that go with whatever I'm wearing. I really like the navy color. Fitbit is great motivation to keep me moving.

Update 7/3/14 - A new update that works with the iPhone devices that use the Fitbit app was released a few days ago. I've used it with my iPhone 4S and really like the new upgrade. It adds a whole new dimension to my Fitbit app. With the upgrade, I just click on the exercise icon on the dashboard which takes me to a new screen showing the days of the week that I've exercised. (Meaning a walk, run or hike, something in addition to the regular walking in my daily activities.) This screen shows exercise frequency by day of the week, it puts a check on the days that you do some planned exercise. If I click the little stopwatch in the upper right-hand corner, it takes me to a screen where I can click Walk, Run, or Hike. I go back and can then click Cues which takes me to another screen where I can select whether or not I want to hear spoken cues. I can also tell it which cues I want including: Distance, Time, Average Pace, Split Pace, and Calories Burned. Then I go back again an can select the frequency of the cues from every .5 miles to every 5 miles. Or, I can make the cues time based ranging from every 2 minutes, 3, 4, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, or 30 minutes. I can also select the volume of the cues. (Medium was perfect for me.) Then, back again to select a playlist from my iPhone's loaded tunes. Last, I allowed location services for Fitbit in my phone settings and I was ready to go. Now I see a big red circle with a Start arrow on the screen over a GPS map showing my location. I pop in my earphones, click Start and my music starts playing.

As I walk, I can see a screen showing how far I've walked, rate per mile, time elapsed. Every half mile a voice interrupts my music telling me how far I've gone and all the other things I've specified in Cues that I wanted to know. Then it goes back to playing my music until it's time for my next designated Cue. How cool is that? It works seamlessly. At the end of my walk I tell it I'm finished (or I could also pause it if I stop to talk to a neighbor or something). When I'm finished (or even during the walk or run) I can see a little red line showing my route on the map. The steps from my walk are added to my steps count, just as they always are. I love these new features. They add a lot to the Fitbit experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gets me moving, 18 Aug 2013
I didn't buy my fitbit flex from amazon, but rather a high street catalogue shop and in fairness that was because I wanted it then and there as I was about to go running and wanted to try it out.

I already had a fitbit zip which was good but the amount of times I left it on the bedside cabinet meant days went without any tracking. so I thought the wristband would be better for me.

I use the large band and I'm happy that it's comfortable (if not the easiest to put on with one hand - but it won't come off) and I forget it's on my wrist.

I like the sleep tracking function - it has shown me what I already know - I'm a restless sleeper - but no advice on how to change that!

More so that anything else I set a target number of steps on my iphone and throughout the day give it a double tap and see my progress. I've yet to not achieve my goal as I find myself quite competitive and don't want to be beaten by a machine.

The up side of that is I'm spending more time with my dog out long walks and after 3 weeks of using it I've lost 6lbs in weight. my overall goal was to become more active and fit and as a result I knew I'd lose weight but I didn't think it would be that quick.

the iphone app is ok but the web dashboard is much better if you have the time to log in to it. the graphs are more detailed and easier to follow online. there is a fitbit premium service you can join for 39.99 but I did the one week trial and couldn't really see what all the fuss was about.

the flex is well made and easy to use and it's great if you can get your friends into a fitbit - you get a progress chart on your phone and it constantly updates showing who is in the lead for the week with the total number of steps - another great way to get motivated.

I think the price seemed a bit much when I was buying it but now that I have it I enjoy using it.

my only two complaints are:

1. that there is no indication of when the battery is about to go flat - except in the app,

2. that the online fitbit store differs from country to country and the UK doesn't have replacement flex bands yet - there's nothing wrong with mine but it's orange and a bit bright for me - I'd rather have had the slate - but like I said earlier I couldn't wait for the delivery.

I hope this has been useful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite sure....., 18 Jun 2013
Ebuyer "Ian B" (Newbury. UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I waited a long time for this to be released onto the market and now I've used it for a few weeks I'm not quite sure about it. There's an expectation (probably fuelled by the hype around these devices) that they're something more sophisticated than a pedometer that sits on your wrist - well, even with all the complex algorithms and blurb, they're still measuring movement at wrist level. That said, if you understand this and make the necessary allowances you should be able to get a decent benchmark on your daily activities but a 10 manual pedometer will do the same for you.

Here are my pro's and con's:

Pro's:

Sits nicely on your wrist and is comfortable and unobtrusive.
Quick indication of your planned "steps" for the day.
Great app with continual bluetooth connection - this is the best out there.
Doesn't need to be removed for bathing.
Tracks sleep pretty effectively.
You can integrate other data (BP, food, water weight etc.) on the web site. This is a novelty when you first start out but who seriously has the time to do all this?

Con's:
Water gets in the bracelet and it gets gunky in the strap.
Unpredictable tracking of movements - it tracks cycling but for no logical reason and not accurate so it throws the figures way out. Same for cross trainer. Same for typing.
Battery life is short - 4 days max for me so far.
If the battery goes flat you lose all the unsynchronised data - easy to do if you're not near a charging point and I don't think there's any indication on the device that it's going to fail - you have to refer to the app.

So, I'm unsure about it. It's as good if not better than any of the others out there but it's really not much different to the old fashioned pedometers. Probably the natural successor that we've all got to have, which is why I bought it! I'll keep it going but can see it eventually making it's way to the back of the drawer like all the other life-changing gadgets that I've bought........

UPDATE 22 JULY 2013...
Well, I've stuck with it and reckon it may end up in the back of the drawer. Couple of things that really don't do it for me:

If you do anything fairly active (like a bit of DIY), you can easily put it into sleep mode.

Battery life is pretty poor.

Just tried to update the software - completely hung and needs a reset.

Strap is really nasty in the hot weather.

UPDATE 28 AUGUST 2013....
It froze completely and went into no response mode. Tried all the reset recommendations and nothing. Wouldn't hold a charge, didn't respond to taps etc. Sent it back (thanks Amazon and Fitbit - great customer service) and got a new one.

4.0 out of 5 stars A thorough review: yes I would buy again., 16 July 2014
THE WRISTBAND
My tracker band started to 'rip' where the plastic band met the light display within 12 hours of wearing it. I superglued it front and back and although I have a bumpy film over the light display I haven't had any further issues with the band breaking. I suspect that the band started to rip because I put the actual tracker into the wristband the wrong way around at first and then had to remove it.
Other reviewers have commented that the Slate band starts to become 'worn' looking. Indeed, within 2 weeks my band has slightly faded on the edges. It looks ok still but I feel it looks as if I have owned it for 6 months/a year rather than the 2 months I have had it.
As regards the clasp, which many other people say has snapped easily, I am still using my original snap band and I am a fiddler: meaning that at least twice a day I take my band off and repeatedly remove and push back in the clasp mechanism.
Appearance wise, I've had a few people say 'thats a nice watch' to me. It's not really my style but it is growing on me. I wish it was thinner. It stands proud of your wrist about 1.4cm and the band at it's thinnest point is about 3mm. It is lightweight and you hardly feel it. I have got it caught on a couple of long sleeved tops when I have been undressing. This may also contribute to the band nearly breaking above the light display.

SOFTWARE
I find the software easy to use on my computer. I have an iPhone 3s which has the fitbit app on it and despite following numerous sources of advice on how to get my phone to sync with the tracker it has never worked. I know I am not alone in this. Therefore, I always have to open up my computer with the supplied dongle (a tiny thing you will hardly notice but it does take up a USB port) in order to sync. This is a pain to do quite frankly.

IMPACT ON MY LIFE
I have embraced the fitbit community and become friends with other fit bitters (who I found through MyFitnessPal forums) and I do like seeing how many steps they have taken compared to me. This has not, however, encouraged me to pace around my kitchen at 11:30pm like other reviewers. I simply accept that I didn't make the last few steps needed to hit my target.

USE WITH OTHER APPS AND DEVICES
I use my fitbit flex with MyFitnessPal. I can't recommend this enough. I have linked my fitbit to MyFitnessPal (A calorie and exercise tracking website/app) and enabled my fitbit to make 'negative calorie adjustments'. This means that I have set (On MFP) my daily activity level to 'sedentary' which estimates my daily calorie requirements to be about 1700 for my size. If my activity level goes above or below this (simply by walking around doing my usual activities or not) my fitbit will automatically cause the daily calorie target on MyFitnessPal to increase or decrease. It only works well if I sync my tracker device with the fitbit dashboard on my computer 3-4 times a day. On days when I have been unable to move away from my desk it sometimes cuts my calories by up to 150 calories. This means that if I keep within the recommended calories I don't gain weight. Perfect for me.

STEP COUNT ACCURACY/DISTANCE ACCURACY
My step count is accurate. I have on numerous occasions tested it. I am yet to get the distance correct; you can change the length of your stride (which is automatically calculated for you at the start based on your height) but I have difficulty getting this right as my stride length changes depending on if I am in a rush or walking at a leisurely pace.

UNDERSTANDING THE FLASHY LIGHTS
This takes some getting used to: tapping the device to find out how far you've walked, understanding the meaning behind lights flashing towards the centre or alternating back and forth - well it's all a bit confusing and I wish they would put a little pull out guide in the box as a reference.

SILENT ALARM
I use the silent alarm: it's great. It wakes me up and my husband stays asleep. I also have an alarm at 8pm to remind me to stop eating at that point for the night. This is my second favourite feature. The disadvantage is that if you want to edit an alarm you need to log on to your computer and then sync the device to get the changes. The other slightly annoying thing about the alarm is that once you are awake/have acknowledged the alarm you can't shut it off (no matter how many times you tap or shake). It vibrates for about 6 seconds but for me thats 4 seconds too long. It also repeats itself about 8-9 minutes after you set the alarm: almost like a snooze feature. There is no ability in the alarm setting section to remove this feature.

BATTERY LIFE
With 2 alarms and constant wear 24 hours a day my battery lasts 5-6 days. It recharges via a USB port within 30 minutes.

WATER USAGE
I shower every day with my fitbit on. I also go into a hydrotherapy pool for an hour a week wearing the fitbit. As I am walking around the pool rather than swimming it still tracks my movements. I do need to remove the tracker from the wristband after a swim to dry it so my wrist doesn't get sore but it most certainly IS waterproof.

SLEEP TRACKER
To start and stop the sleep tracker you have to repeatedly tap on the device until it vibrates and flashes. Sometimes I think I have tapped enough and it hasn't started a sleep session or ended it. You can manually change the recorded times easily on the computer but it's an inconvenience. Having 2 young children I am repeatedly up in the night - it does detect these as 'times I am awake', but if I sit with one of the girls it thinks I have gone back to sleep. Often it records me as being up 12-15 times a night when in reality I may only be up 3-4 times. It also says that I fall asleep within 7 minutes. Lies. I am still after 7 minutes but I am certainly not asleep. However I am quite sure there is no way to improve the accuracy of this. It's an interesting feature but after 2 months I no longer use it. I was getting a bit depressed knowing that I only got 5.5 hours sleep a night!

BADGES
As you progress you will earn badges for total distances, hitting step targets etc. These can be addictive and help to motivate you. I didn't get any badges for a week after owning the fitbit for a fortnight and at that point I became demotivated where badges are concerned. I wish you could set your own parameters to earn your own badges.

IS IT WORTH YOUR MONEY?
I paid 25 for mine (an absolute bargain which will probably never be repeated). Worth every penny. Would I pay 80 to replace it? Yes. I can't live without it now purely because of the silent alarm and the negative calorie adjustments with MyFitnessPal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great device - but strap needs streamlining and the catch is 'something special', 17 July 2014
R. Rudwick "higherdrive" (kuala lumpur, malaysia) - See all my reviews
Great device for monitoring daily activity and movement. It requires a simple set up - I used a Mac. Stick the wireless dongle in a USB port, register your device on the Fitbit website. Fill in the required info like height, weight and possibly stride length, and you're good to go. Tap the device twice and it gives you scale showing how far you have walked in 20% increments. It defaults to 10,000 steps and vibrates when you hit the target.
There is a usb charging cradle but no charger. Luckily I have spare chargers which take usb cables. I found that the charge lasts me 4-5 days. You do get a warning on the Fitbit website to recharge. The device is housed in a replaceable strap, so you can swap colours if that is your inclination. I don't like the square edge of the main strap body. A curved side would be less likely to catch on things. Also the catch is a 'triumph of form over function' and is a bugger to do up.

You wear the thing 24/7. You can set it into sleep mode and it will monitor your sleep - how restless you are and how often you wake. There are metal contacts on the device for charging when you remove it from the strap, so I wouldn't wear it for swimming etc. It should be okay in the shower but...I take it off for showering.

So what's it good for? Monitoring your day to day activity, like how much and how fast you have walked or run. It's not so good for other activities like cycling or weight training, so you need to update the website with details of any other activities.

If you do a lot of work on the website like inputting what you eat and adding information on your sporting activity you will get a good record of calories in and out. The website can link to other apps to suck in information and make use of other devices like wireless weighing scales and blood pressure meters. But if you are 'nerdy old school' you can manually add the information.

All in all I love the device, simple but effective. If they added a clock display, that would be great, but would probably eat up the battery. Just fix the catch and streamline the strap!
The website could do with some work. The food database is US, full of stuff you've never heard of. I haven't really played around with the reporting which is available as a premium option- you pay for it.

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm confused is this a step counter or not? And apologies for the length of the review..., 2 July 2013
John "John75222" (Leeds, Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have a Fitbit Ultra Wireless Activity Plus Sleep Tracker (now replaced by the Fitbit One Wireless Activity and Sleep Tracker). I've had it for eighteen months and I'm never without it. However, like anything else, if something different comes along I'm willing to give it a go. This looked ideal. The flex101 is about a quarter of the size of the ultra and fits neatly into a wristband (trendy). So this review is written from the point of view of a fitbit product user testing and comparing a new fitbit product against an existing fitbit product that supposedly does more or less the same thing.

Fitbit products all come with a basic website that logs the information the pedometers generate and you can link the website with other websites like MyFitnessPal to transfer data between sites. You can pay more money for the premium Fitbit site, which includes motivational tools and other material. I tried it when I bought my Ultra but it didn't give me any more useful information so I cancelled it before the end of the trial period.

I'll declare straight away that I'm not a fan of this new piece of kit. Yes, the wristband is neat (You do get two; one large and one small), you can even shower with it on, you can set it to discreetly wake you up or remind you of something (set up via the website) and the size of the flex101 is amazing, but... and it's a big but... I have some major concerns as detailed below.

Background before comment. I set up a dummy account, using a different email address and entered all my current details onto that account's database: height, weight, stride length, etc. So I have my Ultra on one account and the Flex101 on the dummy both containing exactly the same information. So far so good. Because I wear my watch on my left hand (non-dominant, the one Fitbit recommend you wear the flex on) and I'm a fairly large (6'4") I had to use my right (dominant) hand and thicker wrist to wear the wristband on (it only just fit) - the website does allow you to identify that you're using the (effectively) wrong hand, so I presume the algorithm the Flex101 uses takes this into account. The Ultra you can wear just about anywhere - waist to neck, I wear mine on my trousers waistband.

My first concern is to accuracy. After wearing both the Ultra and Flex101 for 11 days there is a significant difference between the two in steps recording. The Flex101 is recording anywhere between 30-40% more steps than my Ultra. The fewer steps and the greater the disparity between the two. Because the Ultra has a display that will stay on for a few seconds when pressed I can actually see what it's recording in real time and can step count actual steps and see that those are being recorded. I also know my Ultra is correct because over the last eighteen months I've checked the distance against a portable GPS device Garmin Forerunner 410 GPS Sportswatch with Heart Rate Monitor, maps, and steps multiplied by stride length, each method gives figures within 50 metres of each other on a 15k walk.

So, first problem. If I can't trust the information on the number of steps recorded then it becomes worthless. Because the Flex101 (like the Ultra) works on an algorithm that converts steps into other information this then impacts the number of calories burned, activity levels and distance. So my Flex101 was telling me I was burning more calories, more active and walking further than my Ultra, and like I said I know that from [number of steps x distance recorded] that the Ultra is reasonably accurate (99% on my usage), so this one fault of the Flex101 massively over-recording the step count renders the information it provides useless. Some may say that it's recording activity: i.e. more upper body movement = more activity so the calorie burn and activity indication is more accurate, but it isn't sold as that. It's sold as a high tech pedometer. So again if the step count is significantly out it's not doing the job you've paid 90+ for.

Second problem. No display on the Flex101, for me that is another serious problem as it doesn't give me any usable information when I'm nowhere near the computer I download to. With the Ultra I get basic information; time, steps, floors climbed, calories burned and activity level in real time, the Flex gives me nothing, no indication, not even basic information through the day, nada. I am aware that you can use a smartphone to sync, but in some respects I am a techno-dinosaur my phone is basic.

Thirdly, speaking from personal experience of having lost my first Ultra, I have doubts about how long this will last before I lose it. Well I should clarify that. I don't think I would necessarily lose the Flex101 itself but my main concerns would be as follows: 1) the charger unit is small enough to misplace (then you've no means of charging it) and just as important is 2) the incredibly small dongle that you sync your flex to your computer with. In the Ultra both these functions are performed by a fairly large base unit. Fitbit don't do separate bits of kit so if you lose, or misplace, either of these items you're stuffed and currently will have to buy another Flex. ** see update note below **

Another negative point for me is that it doesn't record the number of floors, or height, climbed which the Ultra does and on the Ultra this information feeds into the algorithm that then shows calorie burn and activity level based on what you've done. If all you are recording is the number of steps but not the type of terrain then you're not getting an accurate indication of activity levels that then means that your calories burned figure is also going to be inaccurate.

I did email Fitbit support about a week after I got this to share my concerns that there was such a massive discrepancy between the information the two products were recording but to date haven't had a reply. I am really confused as to how two products that reportedly do the same job can be so far apart in terms of the information recorded.

Both are supposed to be able to hold information and charge for a week but I normally (habit) recharge every three days so I'll have to trust the company stats on that one. Both can record sleep by a simple tap (Flex101) or holding the button (Ultra).

Because of all of the above concerns I am sticking with my Ultra. From my experience with it over the last two weeks there appear to be significant problems with the Flex101 of over-recording which you do not want, particularly if you are using this as part of a weight management and exercise programme, because of the knock-on effect this over-recording has on the other information generated. If it's over recording by at least 30% then that is no good. I also have concerns about losing one or both of the two small pieces of kit that either charges it, or transfers the data, given that you cannot buy any of the Fitbit accessories separately. You have to be incredibly organised keeping this kit together.

In summary; it's tiny, its (!?) trendy and you can wear it in the shower and you can set an alarm. But if it's inaccurate it's worthless. If you're going to spend this amount of money on an advanced pedometer then you'd be better off with an Ultra or Fitbit One.

Update: 14/7/13 After writing the review I swopped wrists to see if it made a difference. After wearing it for a further ten days and getting similar results the answer is no. There is still a 30-40% disparity in recording with the Flex101 over-recording when compared to the Ultra. The over recording is worse the less active you are. Another reviewer has also pointed out that you can now buy accessories on the FitBit website. However, the list of accessories you can buy does not include a charger for the Flex101, although you can buy the dongle as it's the same dongle used for the FitBit One & FitBit Zip.

Update: 22/7/13. I've now worn the flex next to my Ultra in the belt loot of my trousers and there has been a significant decrease in the over-recording. The disparity between the two is now between 10-17% depending on activity: i.e. The less walking I do, the greater the difference. Usually if I'm walking less then I'm on a bike, either at my geriatric spin class or on a static bike. So by the looks of things this is picking up activity. It's one of the few things where I complain about the Ultra, in that I have to manually input time spent on non-walking activity, as generally if you're not walking the Ultra assumes you're sedentary.

Update: 10/8/13. For the last fortnight I've worn the flex clingfilmed to my Ultra so they're in exactly the same place. It's still managing to over record but now it's consistently at around 7% (spread from 2% to 9% with the greater disparity remaining on less active days), however this is much better than the 30+% that I was getting when I was wearing it on my wrist, but then that's the point to even get close to the figure produced by my Ultra it's now no longer on my wrist it's on my belt loop. I'd still recommend the Ultra/fitbit one if you want an intelligent pedometer.

5.0 out of 5 stars The bee's knees, 19 July 2014
S. Mercer "Binks" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity Tracker & Sleep Wristband (Sports)
I bought this as it went with the Nuffield Healthscore App and thought it would be useful for the gym as well as seeing how much I really walk in the day. Theres just two drawbacks. Firstly it puts the competitors in the shade , it has so many options, even emails you when you need to charge it up - the charge by the way lasts a good few days. The design is just so solid but not heavy, two differing strap sizes for each fitbit. Simple to clean and great fun if you are training with friends or trying to beat your boss at the number of steps.

In seriousness the only minor point is the input of data for food - many of the dishes are American , however, depending on your time free, you can just jot the calories down - add the fibre contents etc but its not the end of the world. I just made a several foods up and call them guess 1 - 4 and have 100 cal, 500 cal and 1000 cal and just put them in.

It doesnt have a screen and it is understated as a device which is so clever you can even set it to vibrate as an alarm clock - this is good - nicer than being jolted out of bed and numerous time options. The way it integrates seamlessly with so many apps puts it ahead of many competitors - I have used it for a good 6 montls - just remember to give it an antibacterial wipe every so often and I take mine off in water when showering or swimming. The app for Nuffield Healthscore is at www.nuffieldhealthscore.co.uk and that is a very smart app, as is many of these and it works with run keeper.

Since having it, for me personally it has bought to the table a reliable and sold device with extra features, good fitbit.com page to log everything and its motivated me to go to the gym more often. It may of course not suit everyones case but for me, its excellent. Drawback is working on wards in a hospital, the nothing below the wrist when handling patients from an infection control risk means you may need to take it off - but if you put it in your pocket and compare it to another day when you wore it all day on your wrist you will notice that it isnt too much below what you would expect from walking.

Simon

5.0 out of 5 stars Next Generation Fitness Band Is Nearly As Good As Nike Fuel Band, 20 May 2014
I ordered this fitness tracker because I wanted to get a temporary fitness band, at the low price of 75 I decided to go ahead and purchase this product.
It arrived the next day via royal mail, nicely packed in a small box, upon opening the postage box I found a small clear plastic box containing the Fitbit tracker, 2 wrist bands, the charger, and basic setup guide.
I charged up the Fitbit and then put it on, I found it a bit uncomfortable, but after a couple of days the rubber softened up and became very comfortable.
The battery life lets it down, because it only lasts 3 days, then you have to charge it while you are still if you want to get a accurate results.
The tracker has a nice iphone and computer application which you can set many things, and it really keeps you on top of your fitness.
The tracker has a silent alarm which wakes you up by vibrating the Fitbit.
When I tapped the device 3 times by mistake it made the LEDs go from left to right, I was really puzzled, and tried to look in its quick start guide, but it was to basic to include this! After some fishing around on the internet I found the official instruction manual for the Fitbit Flex.
I also found that you can buy more colourful bands for 25 for 3 bands.
Now I am going to list the Pros, and Cons for the Fitbit
Pros;
Is reasonably priced
Is comfortable
Nicely packaged
Quick to charge
Nice iPhone and computer application
Cons;
Is not comfortable for first few days
Instructions are not included, and not easy to find
No-one is on the social aspect of the website.

And please click on the “I found this review helpful”

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product but need to move arms!, 13 Nov 2013
I loved my fitbit flex and found it extremely motivating. Even though you can't see progress on the wristband other than the lights I liked when it buzzed to notify me that I'd reached my target. The graphs are good on the computer and easy to understand and if you have an Iphone then you can download the app and see your progress on that. However the one drawback is that you have to swing your arms when walking and because I have a young baby the majority of the time I walked with a pushchair and although it counts some steps it doesn't count them all. Also around the house I didn't swing my arms as I would often be carrying the baby and this made it difficult to meet the ten thousand step a day target.

I would definitely recommend this product because I think it's brilliant, although it does do the same as a normal pedometer does it is much easier to have it on your wrist as there is no worry of losing it. However if you have a pushchair or don't swing your arms much when walking then I would recommend getting the fitbit one instead.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product except for the wrist bands, 25 July 2014
Fitbit is excellent but the wrist bands are poorly designed. Two types of faults have occurred, The wrist bands can fall off, at times without you knowing. This occurs on both types of fixing metal and plastic. The latter ( plastic ones) the plastic broke off within a few weeks of purchase. The other problem is related to breaking of the wrist band into 2 at the joints around the dial.
It clearly relates to the weekly recharging process in the main.. These comments to the 3 fitbits of mine , my wife and daughter.