4.0 out of 5 stars humourous fun and sexy dragonshifters
Luck of the Dragon. Susanna Scott.

ARC provided by publisher.

Published 23 months ago by Jeannie Zelos

3.0 out of 5 stars Luck of the dragon
I have never read stories about shape shifting dragons, this was an ok start. I liked the whole idea of dragons running a casino but the story lacked something...just don't know what. I did enjoy it tho.
Published 20 months ago by Dee xx

4.0 out of 5 stars humourous fun and sexy dragonshifters, 25 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Luck of the Dragon (Entangled Covet) (Las Vegas Dragons series) (Kindle Edition)
Luck of the Dragon. Susanna Scott.

ARC provided by publisher.

Romance and shape-shifters :) always a good hook for me, but dragons are more unusual than the normal wolves we see, so this book sounded interesting. I've read a couple now with Dragon shifters, and they all seem to have the dragons with a fascination for jewels and sparkly stuff - me too, maybe I'm really a dragon in another life??
Anyway, Luciana (Lucy) is a great character, loves her twin brother and as its just them left in the family, tries hard to keep him on the straight. Still, he's a gambler and like most of them the thrill of the big win is too hard to resist. This time its got him involved with a mob enforcer and he's dragged Lucy in too - they need her help as a professional gemmologist to get them access to the jewels.
Lucy is a great character, intelligent, loving and with a cracking sense of snark. She has some great lines and came across as a really genuine, likeable person. Someone I'd love as a friend as so I cared about what happened to her. The brother, Joey, was a typical jerk gambler, thinking only of himself and the Big Win....not the danger he was placing Lucy in. Lucy needs to get to casino owner Alec, but doesn't know he's a dragon (the King actually) so he has a bit more awareness of what's going on that she realises. He's attracted to her right from the start, and as he's sex on legs she can't help feeling drawn to him. He's not the arrogant, superior type you'd expect, but a strong and fair man, and he wants to know what's going on with Lucy. So he lures her in gently and then the fun starts.
The coming jewel theft is a fairly simple plot and the story centres around that, the dragon mating ceremony, and Alec and Lucy's attraction to each other. It covers a short period and being a short book that works well. Sometimes when short novels try to cover too long timespan the details and personalities get lost, but here they're well fleshed out and draw the reader into the story nicely.
I did work out the connections fairly quickly but I think that's inevitable in a short novel as there isn't the space to write in lots of red-herring type scenes. It was fine though and didn't spoil my enjoyment of the story.
Overall its an enjoyable novel, with people I can empathise with and felt I understood them. I did feel for Lucy when Alec caught her out, but it wasn't quite enough emotion engendered from me to make it a higher rating. I need more angst! Its well written and edited, as you'd expect and the characters felt real. Its a sweet, gentle romance rather than a sexy, breathtaking, erotic ride but for people who prefer that sort of book its perfect. It delivers exactly what it says.
Its priced at £2.36 for 161 pages so its still within my personal VFM scale but at the upper end. Of course if this type of romance is what you love and will re read that's adds value but for me its a bit too sweet and light, good for a quick easy on the mind read, but not one for the keepers file.
Stars: Difficult, this part is so subjective when we all want different things so this is just my personal rating. I did enjoy this book, but prefer something a bit deeper for a high star, but its definitely better than a 3 star OK read. Hmnn...Four stars it is.

4.0 out of 5 stars a trips down imagination road review, 2 Jan. 2015
I received a copy of Luck of the Dragon in exchange for my review.

Lucy's brother, Joey, is in trouble again, and this time paying it off means that Lucy has to take part in a heist, stealing from the King of Vegas, Alec. Unknown to Lucy, Alec is the King of shape-shifting dragons and almost instantly recognises her as his mate. Refusing to accept that someone may want her for herself, Lucy continues to try and get herself, and Joey, out of trouble and away from Vegas. Even if that means tearing herself away from one of the best things that has ever happened to her. With her life on the line, can Lucy stop herself from falling for Alec? And can Lucy be the key to saving Alec's failing dragon?

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

I definitely want more! After a slightly slow start to this book, I found that it picked up quickly and dragged me into a world full of gangs, dragons and gambling, that all intertwined to create a rich and complex story. Top that off with a bit of a love story and you've hooked me! Plus, dragons, who doesn't love dragons! And the cover, basically in my shallowness, the cover had me already! (Well it is gorgeous!)

I liked Lucy, she was stubborn and didn't let something like a very attractive dragon who makes her feel good, get in the way of what she wants. Nor does she look to Alec to solve her problems for her (despite the fact that he would have) in fact she looks for ways to solve her (and her brother, Joey's) problems herself. This does then lead to some confusion and conflicts, both with the various other characters and Alec, meaning that the ending isn't quite as cut and dry as it could otherwise have been.

The chemistry between Alec and Lucy was there, though I have read stronger, I didn't have any problem believing in it. It was interesting that the mating bond didn't seem as intense as normal. Normally both characters are all for it etc, whereas in Luck of the Dragon, Alec recognises it, but then recognises that Lucy may have a hard time coming to terms with it and so acts accordingly.

This was a rich world, and the book really drew me in! I want to read more from the series!

Luck of the Dragon counts towards Winter COYER

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing story, 28 Nov. 2013
Was not sure what this book would be like but I was pleasantly pleased to find it a compelling read and I wait for the second book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Smokin' Hot Review., 12 Oct. 2013
Evampire (Gonzales, LA USA) - See all my reviews
Can a dragon love a human? Can a human overcome her trust issues and accept that dragons are real?

The Luck of the Dragon is the first in a new series with plenty of entertainment to be found with dragons, treasure and the excitement of Las Vegas.

With an original take on the lives of dragon shifters, the author transports you into a new world that is full of suspense and romance. The author has created the perfect setting for dragons who need to hide in plain sight. And the combination of dragon battles, super hot romance, and very engaging characters will keep you completely absorbed to the very end. The author paints such a vivid picture of this world that the reader feels that they are actually on the adventure themselves.

The sparks start flying when the King of Dragons meets a human woman, named Lucy, and it only gets hotter as their romance progresses. You can easily relate to all the strong, bewitching characters in the story as they enchant you with their charismatic personalities.

With well written words, a smooth flowing plot and great dialogue, the author grabs your attention and imagination with this paranormal world and I am looking forward to more adventures with the Las Vegas Dragons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for lovers of the genre., 6 April 2014
I love a good, old paranormal romance read and Luck of the Dragon is just that!

I fell straight into this novel, enjoying it from the first page until the last, as I sped through it in no time, loving everything about it. The characters and the plot are both atypical of the genre, which is no bad thing, especially as Susannah Scott does it so well.

Lucy and Alec are given centre stage, with the dragon element and secondary characters bubbling nicely just below the surface, ready to spring into the forefront when a little twist is needed. The passion is hot, the writing excellent and the story addictive. Highly recommended for lovers of the genre.

Reviewed by Charlotte Foreman on behalf of BestChickLit.com

4.0 out of 5 stars Hot Dragons! Need I say more?! A fun read and lots of characters to follow., 19 Sept. 2013
I am a die hard fan of JR Ward's BDB series, Christine Feehan's Carpathian series and Nalini Singh and her Archangels Guild Hunter series, all the books from these authors have me hooked from the first to the last. This series from Susannah Scott has shown great promise to be another one whose books I will have to make room for. I read any type of paranormal romance from the full on raunchy and naughty to the sedate and fluffy and if I am totally honest, this falls somewhere in the middle but its a good start to her series!

I really enjoyed Luck of the Dragon. It is a different style from some of my other favourite authors but I still didn't want to put it down until I read it all and then I was straight online to see if the next book in the series was out yet.

Hot male dragon Alec gets it on with brainy Lucy and they go on a journey of play and chase to get to know one another and just when you think everything is okay, Lucy pulls a ........well, you will have to read it to find out!

It is an easy read, the story is quick to get started and the chemistry between Alec and Lucy is attractive from the start. The story line is good and it keeps you interested. Its not as steamy as it could have been but then that may not have been the way the author wanted to go, needless to say it did have its moments.

I will buy the second book which has 2 more characters from Alec's casino, and I hope the stories continue to be as delightful and entertaining as the first one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Luck of the dragon, 11 Sept. 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but wouldn't read again, 29 Aug. 2013
This book was ok I've only just started to read shape-shifter books. I didn't feel the main characters had any chemistry so I found it hard to believe that they would fall in love.