5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good MdS Memoir

3.0 out of 5 stars Written by a runner for a runner
Published 16 months ago by Mr George R Reynolds

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good MdS Memoir, 16 Jun. 2013
This review is from: 824 (Kindle Edition)
I've been lucky enough to run the race the writer talks about, and I've read a number of books on the race. This definitely, for me, is the best book. Ok, it's all from a personal perspective, but it gives a feel for what the race is about, and how accessible it is (if you do the training). This is definitely not a training guide, but a decent memoir of actual experiences in the build up to, and the actual extremes of the race. If you are planning to get into ultra running or do the MdS, the writing is accessible, and gives some real life views about the race. A nice addition to the MdS experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars From couch to desert, 13 Jun. 2015
This review is from: 824 (Kindle Edition)
A free download so immediately cost effective! I am a runner of some 33 years standing and, after a few years of racing and a 2:49:15 marathon PB, I have increased my mileage again. With 60 looming I aim to try some ultra runs and have picked up a lot of books which I have reviewed. This one was read on my iPad during commutes and it is a good read. Philip Robbins has written a personal account of his journey to run the Marathon des Sables from a non-running background, via half and full marathons to ultras en route to success. It shows an 'ordinary bloke' (or lady, of course) can succeed if the drive is strong enough. I am on course to go beyond the marathon, and a book like this helps a lot.

Worth reading and worth downloading.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book! funny and realistic..., 2 Jun. 2014
This review is from: 824 (Kindle Edition)
I wanted to know a bit more of Mds and this book was perfect. It is also motivational for those of us who would love to perform well in marathons and ultras but we know we are not supergifted or we are not fit at least not yet.... Highly recommended. Great read

5.0 out of 5 stars good inspirational read, 7 Dec. 2014
This review is from: 824 (Kindle Edition)
Well written and down to earth account. Really enjoyed it and has got my mind racing. Currently at the end of fist year of triathlons having completed four sprint distances and a half ironman event. Currently done 4 half marathons with a PB of 1:53. Upping the ante and doing a full ironman in 2015 and looking for the next challenge in 2016..., could be ultra having read this.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspiring, 12 April 2014
This review is from: 824 (Kindle Edition)
For anyone interested in running this is a great story. I really could not put it down. Got me thinking about running an ultra!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it, read it, enjoy it!, 25 July 2014
Leo Ponton (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 824 (Kindle Edition)
Well written (okay a few typos, but I can live with that) and interesting. Maybe not as epic as 'Born to Run' but still a real page turner on a par with 'Running with the Kenyans'.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommend it. The negative reviewers are just whingers - one of them didn't even have the wit to realise the significance of the title.

3.0 out of 5 stars Written by a runner for a runner, 4 April 2014
This review is from: 824 (Kindle Edition)
This is a book written by a runner for the running fraternity and no one else as it would become quickly boring to others out there. The author must be congratulated for his preparation, training and ultimate participation in the gruelling Marathon de Sables in the Sahara Desert. I could relate to certain elements of his book as having been a marathon and ultra marathon runner in my younger days, I found this quite enjoyable and maintained my interest.
Where the book is a disappointment is in the many spelling and missing text throughout. Was the draft not proof-read prior to publishing? Secondly, the early parts of the book detail (in minute detail) his training runs around his home village and town in Oxfordshire - that's fine if you are familiar with this area but not to an outsider. Finally, what does the title 824 relate to? Unless I'm stupid, I could not see any explanation of this in the book.
An enjoyable read (in parts) but not one I will be picking up to re-read.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspiring, 9 Dec. 2014
This review is from: 824 (Kindle Edition)
A fantastic little book that will prove to anyone that they too can do these seemingly unachievable things if they build up to it slowly. Brilliant, thank you Phil!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it., 2 July 2014
This review is from: 824 (Kindle Edition)
A succinct, honest and engaging book about one mans development as a runner and his journey through the MdS. Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, difficult to put down, 12 May 2014
This review is from: 824 (Kindle Edition)
Well written, and honest account of one person's journey from non-runner to ultra-runner. Full of gems for anyone planning an ultra-run, but also a great read for those who don't have ultra-running ambitions. As someone in that 2nd category this book fed my hunger for adventure, and encouraged me to think bigger about my goals for the future. An excellent return for the time invested in reading it. Highly recommended!

824 by P J G Robbins